Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

London & Chicago offers - NVMe and Storage - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

London & Chicago offers - NVMe and Storage

Comments

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@simlev said: IPv6 connectivity are still not available in London

They actually started to roll out IPv6 in London as promised.
    You may kindly ask through their ticket system for a /64 subnet to appear in your panel. ;)

Just as a side note, you must add the actual IPs you use through their panel, it is not a routed subnet to your vps. And after adding IPs you must reboot your VPS as the new IPs will only be added to the firewall of the host node upon boot of the VPS. If you are aware of this, the IPv6 connectivity in London is just as excellent as with IPv4. :)

• They are having problems with a NVMe node causing significant disk slow down in Chicago. The server maintenance last week did not fix the issue so they are looking at migrating people off the node some time next week. Luckily my vps wasn't that critical so I could afford some downtime

Thanked by 1ernie88
  • hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@dfroe said:

@simlev said: IPv6 connectivity are still not available in London

They actually started to roll out IPv6 in London as promised.
    You may kindly ask through their ticket system for a /64 subnet to appear in your panel. ;)

Just as a side note, you must add the actual IPs you use through their panel, it is not a routed subnet to your vps. And after adding IPs you must reboot your VPS as the new IPs will only be added to the firewall of the host node upon boot of the VPS. If you are aware of this, the IPv6 connectivity in London is just as excellent as with IPv4. :)

Yep, a power off/power on is required in most cases. PTR records should work soon too.

jbuggie said: They are having problems with a NVMe node causing significant disk slow down in Chicago. The server maintenance last week did not fix the issue so they are looking at migrating people off the node some time next week. Luckily my vps wasn't that critical so I could afford some downtime

Yes we will slowly migrate everyone off the affected node. Should be a few minutes downtime per VM (depending on the size of the disk).

Thanked by 1dfroe
  • dfroe said: They actually started to roll out IPv6 in London as promised.

I can confirm this, as my newly provisioned VPS today came with IPv6 already enabled. I have a standing ticket about IPv6 for the existing VPS, I'm not in such a hurry though and can certainly wait a few days.

What puzzles me at this point is private networking: one VPS has an additional interface and I can see a private IP listed in the management panel, another one shows the private IP in the panel but is missing the additional network interface, a third one has neither...I have a feeling this has not been completely setup yet.

@simlev said:

dfroe said: They actually started to roll out IPv6 in London as promised.

another one shows the private IP in the panel but is missing the additional network

Please open a ticket and we'll setup private networking for you for all your servers properly.

• I have the 250GB storage in chicago from the last promo. Can just the RAM be upgraded?

• Thanked by 3Crab dosai vyas11
  • ernie88ernie88 Member
    edited September 2019

@jbuggie said:
    They are having problems with a NVMe node causing significant disk slow down in Chicago. The server maintenance last week did not fix the issue so they are looking at migrating people off the node some time next week. Luckily my vps wasn't that critical so I could afford some downtime

Thanks for posting this here cause I didn't know what's happening with my VPS. My support ticket is still waiting for their reply. I understand that guys have a high workload atm.

• Mmmmm based on past experience it's always best to temper expectations when these mega-deals roll out - things often do tend to get delayed a bit past the advertised ETA.

Cue much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

But I'm always happy with the results once delivered - worth waiting for without stressing too much I think. :)

Thanked by 2ITLabs dahartigan
  • @Abdullah.Hello Chicago, after the last maintenance, NVME still has problems. Now the obvious feature is that IO decreases and CPU occupancy increases. Please solve this problem.

• luyunlongluyunlong Member
    edited September 2019

@luyunlong said:
    @Abdullah.Hello Chicago, after the last maintenance, NVME still has problems. Now the obvious feature is that IO decreases and CPU occupancy increases. Please solve this problem.

Please read above for my earlier response on this. Thanks.

• @Abdullah said:

@luyunlong said:
    @Abdullah.Hello Chicago, after the last maintenance, NVME still has problems. Now the obvious feature is that IO decreases and CPU occupancy increases. Please solve this problem.

Please read above for my earlier response on this. Thanks.

OK.I see.

• The Chicago storage VPS is awesome. I just uploaded around 200GB files to Google Drive at an average speed of 76MB/s. It reminds me of the Hostsolution storage VPS I had a year ago. I had to cap the speed at 10MB/s to prevent the server from crashing.

• Abdullah said: Please open a ticket and we'll setup private networking for you for all your servers properly.

This has been addressed promptly after I replied to the tickets. Private networking and IPv6 are now fully setup, with only rDNS still missing. Hey, I need to enable all functionalities so that the servers can idle properly.

Thanked by 3sanvit ITLabs uptime
  • @simlev said:

Abdullah said: Please open a ticket and we'll setup private networking for you for all your servers properly.

This has been addressed promptly after I replied to the tickets. Private networking and IPv6 are now fully setup, with only rDNS still missing. Hey, I need to enable all functionalities so that the servers can idle properly.

Hey! You'd better setup a HA cluster, with at least 2 vpses on each site, to idle your private network properly, ok!?

• @ITLabs said:

@simlev said:

Abdullah said: Please open a ticket and we'll setup private networking for you for all your servers properly.

Hey! You'd better setup a HA cluster, with at least 2 vpses on each site, to idle your private network properly, ok!?

Does private network work between DCs?

• sanvit said: Does private network work between DCs?

No, at least for me it doesn't.

Thanked by 2uptime sanvit
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited September 2019

sanvit said: Does private network work between DCs?

I'm guessing no, based on:

https://hosthatch.com/features

Internal Networking
    All of our KVM-powered servers come with private networking, which can be used to connect to your other servers in the same location privately, away from the public internet.

EDIT2:

what you can do with a VPN setup is of course entirely up to you ...

(but I know that's not what you were asking) :)

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @Abdullah :
    I've read through the parts about being able to order and add additional chunks after Sep23, if I go with the $84 deposit.
    I suppose the already paid $84 would be converted back to pro-rated credit balance, and monthly invoices applied to them after the 2TB+ chunk upgrade.

Is support flexible enough to add those 'chunks' as secondary block devices, sdb, sdc etc, instead of reprovisioning the main disk volume eg. sda in the upgraded Size?

Moving 3TB of data around unnecessarily is a lot of time spent babysitting rsync.

• Is the 2GB Chicago NVMe too good to miss?

• @cybertech said:
    Is the 2GB Chicago NVMe too good to miss?

Can you make good use of something in Chicago, or will it be just to idle? :smiley:

(I have ordered a larger NVMe instance in Chicago - hopefully will get a chance to test it out in the next few days.)

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited September 2019

@uptime said:

@cybertech said:
    Is the 2GB Chicago NVMe too good to miss?

Can you make good use of something in Chicago, or will it be just to idle? :smiley:

(I have ordered a larger NVMe instance in Chicago - hopefully will get a chance to test it out in the next few days.)

Honestly no, but a little envious of everyone else having so much fun :tongue: and yes it would likely idle

Thanked by 1uptime
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@vimalware said: Is support flexible enough to add those 'chunks' as secondary block devices, sdb, sdc etc, instead of reprovisioning the main disk volume eg. sda in the upgraded Size?

In case you will simply get your existing virtual disk extended, I would make sure to have the large data partition at the end of the disk (or more precisly no other partition behind it). Then you can simply extend/resize the existing partition, extend/grow your filesystem, and that's it. Works on the fly and no need to copy anything.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Abdullah does London included DDOS protection or is that only applicable to Chicago?

• @JoeMerit said:
    @Abdullah does London included DDOS protection or is that only applicable to Chicago?

Support told me either no protection or permanent protection is available in London. Not sure about Chicago.

• Chicago has 40gbit Psychz mitigation.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • cybertech said: yes it would likely idle

exemplary! :smiley:

in general I might advise to keep your powder dry, tally up every little impulse buy that you might have done - and then can eventually spend all the money you've saved to instead buy some "perfect" setup closer to home (or wherever you really need to be online).

(As for myself ... well - I'll be paying monthly for this bigger VPS so if I don't use it as I plan to, then will have the option to let it go without paying for a whole year.)

Anyhoo - I'll be happy to run some benchmarks for you!

Thanked by 2cybertech Trav
  • @uptime said:

cybertech said: yes it would likely idle

exemplary! :smiley:

in general I might advise to keep your powder dry, tally up every little impulse buy that you might have done - and then can eventually spend all the money you've saved to instead buy some "perfect" setup closer to home (or wherever you really need to be online).

(As for myself ... well - I'll be paying monthly for this bigger VPS so if I don't use it as I plan to, then will have the option to let it go without paying for a whole year.)

Anyhoo - I'll be happy to run some benchmarks for you!

psychz has strong network. would wait out for west coast then.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Haha. Provisioned in exactly 24hrs just as I was lying down to sleep yesterday.

I look forward to playing with it today as I sip my black hole coffee.
    I got the 3TB base model after realizing how many storage plans I could 'retire' in the next 8 months.

Thanked by 2uptime Falzo