Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you use linux as desktop os? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you use linux as desktop os?

Comments

• @halczy said:
    Ubuntu 13.10, love the font rendering. However, it doesn't play well with my AMD APU, major heat issue.

Try newer kernel

• @concerto49 said:
    Maybe you don't write corporate / enterprise applications where the only supported browser available on a fleet of desktops being rolled out is Internet Explorer? Not to mention it might IE7/IE8 because legacy application that are critical are still relying on it.

A friend who runs a tax business recently upgraded her desktop, with a new version of IE.

Shortly after, when trying to file a form at the Govt of Canada website, she received a message: "Your version of Internet Explorer is newer than this website supports. Please use an alternate browser like Mozilla Firefox." Is that awesome or what?

• @sleddog said:
    Shortly after, when trying to file a form at the Govt of Canada website, she received a message: "Your version of Internet Explorer is newer than this website supports. Please use an alternate browser like Mozilla Firefox." Is that awesome or what?

It's sad, but unfortunately reality. It's often not the developer's choice too. The business decides to stick with ancient IE.

• @concerto49 said:
    It's sad, but unfortunately reality. It's often not the developer's choice too. The business decides to stick with ancient IE.

Ummm... I think you missed it. The Govt of Canada is support Firefox instead of IE.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2013

sleddog said: Ummm... I think you missed it. The Govt of Canada is support Firefox instead of IE.

From what you said, it sounded like: IE version was too new. Sounds more like use IE7/IE8 or use Firefox.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I run ElementaryOS on my laptop and Windows 7 on my desktop.

I use my laptop the majority of the time.

• Why not both simultaneously?

http://i.imgur.com/6dWqif5.png

• I have CentOS on all my VPSes and fedora on my laptop.

I was thinking of changing all VPSes to debian and my laptop to Debian/XUbuntu.
    is it worth doing it?

Also debian releases are once in 2 years i guess. so once I install it on desktop does it matter as long is regularly update the packages?

I mostly planning to change to debian because i see more tuorials for it then CentOS now a days.

• @Rallias said:
    Why not both simultaneously?

http://i.imgur.com/6dWqif5.png

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@techkken said:
    I have CentOS on all my VPSes and fedora on my laptop.

I was thinking of changing all VPSes to debian and my laptop to Debian/XUbuntu.
    is it worth doing it?

Also debian releases are once in 2 years i guess. so once I install it on desktop does it matter as long is regularly update the packages?

I mostly planning to change to debian because i see more tuorials for it then CentOS now a days.

The only fault i see in Debian is the damned non-free firmware issue. I understand they wish to stick to really free software but, unless you provide fully compatible free drivers or the vendor blocks distribution of binary drivers, a simple warning would suffice.
    That said, debian is the workhorse, does not have to be pretty as long as it does the job brilliantly. Lighter than Centos especially on smaller VPSes where it matters, does the same thing with less configuration work.

This is my view.

• @VMVPS said:
    I think most of you guys here are quite familiar with linux. I wanna know how many of you use it as your desktop os and which distro you are using.

I use Fedora my self, with mate DE :)

• Dual boot Windows 8 with Ubuntu

• techkkentechkken Member
    edited November 2013

@Maounique said:
    This is my view.

Oh i was not aware of that. I will try debian on one of my spare VPSes and lets see how it goes. I am planning to migrate from apache to nginx + php-fpm . So i will give debian a try with nginx .

Do you use debian on desktop?

Any thing wrong about fedora that you know of?

• techkken said: Any thing wrong about fedora that you know of?

It is comprised of new-release software and can be less stable than CentOS or Debian. Releases have a short lifespan, so you need to deal with frequent major upgrades. This is all part of Fedora's design -- as a testbed for RHEL.

• Windows 8 with Gentoo

• Releases have a short lifespan

Yes they do have a short lifespan. When Red Hat Linux was discontinued and Red Hat moved to the current Fedora > Red Hat Enterprise Linux model, Fedora Core 2 and Core 3 enjoyed a brief surge of popularity as a dedicated server OS (check WHT ads from 2004). Luckily CentOS was born soon afterwards...

techkken said: Do you use debian on desktop?

Yes, the only difference from VPSes is that i use it with gnome fallback session, when i need X i put xfce on VPSes. It is annoying with the drivers thing, but once configured wont need more attention even when upgrading kernels.

Thanked by 1andrew
  • sleddog said: It is comprised of new-release software and can be less stable than CentOS or Debian. Releases have a short lifespan, so you need to deal with frequent major upgrades. This is all part of Fedora's design -- as a testbed for RHEL.

yup :) I'm not too often upgrade my OS. atm I'm still on F18, I might use F21 or F22 when it out

• ok then i think i am making the switch to debian.

• @techkken I used many distros before. It seems that it is more difficult to choose from Gnome and KDE than pick up from these distros for fresh guys.

@VMVPS said:
    techkken I used many distros before. It seems that it is more difficult to choose from Gnome and KDE than pick up from these distros for fresh guys.

You are right first time I wanted a default desktop (before was using startx when needed) I had the same issue. Going with gnome or KDE. My poor hardware said gnome, but KDE was so much better at the time, so used mandrake with KDE on my brand new AMD K6-II.

• Ekaaty Linux and Linux Mint (Netflix support :D)

• techkkentechkken Member
    edited November 2013

@VMVPS said:
    techkken I used many distros before. It seems that it is more difficult to choose from Gnome and KDE than pick up from these distros for fresh guys.

I decided to go with XFCE with compiz and am very happy with it :-)

Btw I made the switch to xubuntu from fedora.

• I have been using desktop Linux for the last 11 years. My family now use it, and so do one or two friends. I use Windows VMs and various online services to test web sites on IE.

We have three laptops running Ubuntu, and the kids/visitors shared desktop runs ElementaryOS (Ubuntu based, looks and feels like simplified version of MacOS, very nice).

Linux is (once installed) less hassle than Windows. I do not play games much so almost everything I want to do is better on Linux.

• If you are using Linux on servers, then you find that stuff you learned for you servers lets you use the desktop more efficiently - even though you would not learn a lot of it (all the command line stuff) just to use a desktop.

• Using Kali Linux at home for desktop, and at work for desktop.

• Between Ubuntu on XFCE and Crunchbang, which would be better? I had a go on Crunchbang for my Netbook, and I ended up needing to go to through great lengths to setup drivers for various components for my Netbook. On Ubuntu, it used to work out of the box.

I like xfce4, does a great job but I also know it for many years.
    Other people like crunchbang.
    About the drivers, that is the nightmare of installing on computers designed for windows with tons of non-open source drivers. But some distros have no problems with that and even for debian there are packages that download the drivers from the producers and set them up.
    You lose some time (took about 2 hours for me before i realized that BT is not working because is broken, it never worked in windows either but i like to have all hardware installed even when i dont use) but it is worth it, once you are done, you can take an image with clonezilla, for example, it is not much more than 2 GB with a lot of stuff on.

• @Maounique said:
    About the drivers, that is the nightmare of installing on computers designed for windows with tons of non-open source drivers. But some distros have no problems with that and even for debian there are packages that download the drivers from the producers and set them up.
    You lose some time (took about 2 hours for me before i realized that BT is not working because is broken, it never worked in windows either but i like to have all hardware installed even when i dont use) but it is worth it, once you are done, you can take an image with clonezilla, for example, it is not much more than 2 GB with a lot of stuff on.

Yup. I remember spending hours setting up Redhat on my old PC 15 years ago, at the end I still couldnt get X running. Even a few years ago, I had to compile a custom kernel to get Debian to work with all my drivers, and getting Nvidia drivers from the manufacturer. But the situation seems to be rapidly changing. Ubuntu is a breeze to install, and even if there are issues with drivers, searching brings up solutions from other people who've faced the same issue previously. I'll probably wipe Crunchbang, and install Debian/Xubuntu.

• I´m using Arch Linux as desktop for about 3 years.