Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you use linux as desktop os? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you use linux as desktop os?

Comments

• Slackware

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited November 2013

personal desktop: Sabayon (xfce)
    business desktops: Linux Mint Debian Edition (mate), PC-BSD (kde), Solaris (gnome)

• Using Debian on my desktop, gotta use Windows on my work PC however. Doesn't it make you cringe when website devs still make websites that only work on IE? :/

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I used Fedors from 4 onwards as a desktop for years, but frankly for simplicity over the last few years I have just been on windows 7, I have plenty of deb/buntu VM's and use one of them daily but I find when working Windows actualy just keeps things simple, yep plenty of compatible software etc but I dont even need to worry about it.

I am due a new Desk/laptop very soon though so I might actually go Ubuntu or Debain native as the cross over stuff is really getting better, honestly I just prefer using MSOffice.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:
    I am due a new Desk/laptop very soon though so I might actually go Ubuntu or Debain native as the cross over stuff is really getting better, honestly I just prefer using MSOffice.

LaTeX is much easier to use.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited November 2013
  • @concerto49 said:
    Still uses Windows. You always need to test IE when doing website development

When will it change. We should be able to develop to standards and that's it.

Meanwhile, I have an old laptop on the desk with Windows 7 solely for this purpose :)

and there's Photoshop and other software required.

Get with the Gimp...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I know, but because in business so many people use MSOffice it just works out better for me, you can pretty much guarantee that anyone using office for anything more than basic spreadsheets or word docs will have cross platform quirks and issues when something has been done in one of the alternatives then opened in MSOffice, or at least that is how it was a few years back.

• I dual boot Windows with Linux, however, Linux just quite isn't there yet for the daily desktop use.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    or at least that is how it was a few years back.

Still a very real problem. I've seen all kinds of borked up stuff due to poor compatibility - to the point where I am afraid of forwarding my documents in anything other than a PDF or one of the Microsoft Office formats, because I know the person on the other end will either struggle or open up a document that's going to look different than intended.

• Linux Mint 15 with Cinnamon here

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I know, but because in business so many people use MSOffice it just works out better for me, you can pretty much guarantee that anyone using office for anything more than basic spreadsheets or word docs will have cross platform quirks and issues when something has been done in one of the alternatives then opened in MSOffice, or at least that is how it was a few years back.

Yes. But it's not that LibreOffice is limited in what it can, it's that the LO devs are trying to reverse-engineer the MS Office file formats for import/export. And that's an excercise doomed to fail, 'cause MS is in control of those formats.

If MS adopted the open formats like .odt then the problem would be solved. But that ain't gonna happen.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2013

Fedora during the day, OS X in the evening, Ubuntu on the weekend. I like to jump around.

@dhamaniasad said:
    I used to use OpenSUSE and Ubuntu in dual boot on my old laptop, but now on my MacBook Air(2013) I am stuck with OS X. Been trying for quite a while to get either debian, ubuntu, or mint up and running on this, but sadly nothing works on the MBA. Anyone have experience with getting linux running on a Macbook here?

Not with newer ones but Ubuntu has the best community support for this by far. Their repo is probably still relevant for a new Air to some degree. The real trick comes down to making sure your fans operate properly and sleep mode both works and doesn't change that your fans do.

https://launchpad.net/~mactel-support/+archive/ppa

• I use windows 7, I'm not a big fan of windows 8 though, and being that is is the only paid OS (popular OS at least) if the following windows version falls suit to windows 8 I'm going to have to switch to debian or something for all my desktops.

• jarland said: Not with newer ones but Ubuntu has the best community support for this by far. Their repo is probably still relevant for a new Air to some degree. The real trick comes down to making sure your fans operate properly and sleep mode both works and doesn't change that your fans do.

https://launchpad.net/~mactel-support/+archive/ppa

I have haswell, so my CPU power management won't be compatible with the older versions. After the fans part is done, video, audio, keyboard, trackpad, all of that has to be made to work manually as well. Which MacBook and version of Ubuntu are you using?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@dhamaniasad said:
    I have haswell, so my CPU power management won't be compatible with the older versions. After the fans part is done, video, audio, keyboard, trackpad, all of that has to be made to work manually as well. Which MacBook and version of Ubuntu are you using?

Still rocking an old white MacBook core 2 duo, so I guess I have the benefit of age. Darn thing just won't die. Even after I almost damaged the wifi chipset with a soldering iron :P

• I run Ubuntu on my laptop for everyday use. I also have a backup netbook with Windows 8 installed but rarely used.

• @jarland said:
    Still rocking an old white MacBook core 2 duo, so I guess I have the benefit of age. Darn thing just won't die. Even after I almost damaged the wifi chipset with a soldering iron :P

Yeah, your MacBook's had enough time to get drivers made. MacBooks don't die easy, drop it, your screen will shatter, but the laptop would still be alive. Sadly my Air hasn't had half as much time for drivers, and barely any Linux users use MacBooks, hard luck for me.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2013

openSUSE user here :)

@concerto49 said:
    You always need to test IE when doing website development

I've dropped explicit support for IE on my stuff years ago, and haven't seen any real user complaints. It's really quite surprising how many people are perfectly willing to upgrade to a sane browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) if you explain the problems with IE to them.

One thing that might help is that I try to always make my things work in pretty much any browser that understands basic HTML and CSS; if you want fancy features you can use a modern browser, but it'll generally work on any kind of browser, including IE - I don't test in IE, however.

• I just forked yesterday Debian jessie on my desktop. First time running it on SSD. It's amazing.. now why was I stuck on Windows.. oh right games. Except gaming is a waste of time :)

• @joepie91 said:

I've dropped explicit support for IE on my stuff years ago, and haven't seen any real user complaints. It's really quite surprising how many people are perfectly willing to upgrade to a sane browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) if you explain the problems with IE to them.

Maybe you don't write corporate / enterprise applications where the only supported browser available on a fleet of desktops being rolled out is Internet Explorer? Not to mention it might IE7/IE8 because legacy application that are critical are still relying on it.

• I dual boot #! and Windows 7 Ultimate. One for work and general use, the other for security and hobby.

• @AnthonySmith said:

In my Debian I use MSOffice on Crossover these past 2 years it's been great.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2013

I also have crossover since they did a freebie but never used. My usage of office suites is highly limited to regular stuff, no macros or other fancies. Now I also have access to my prometeus win2008R2, and also use openoffice there, I have some XP laptops which came with license, but either using them as headless servers due to damaged display (or missing) or they are used by someone else which also uses open office. Occasionally did libre office too.

• wcypierrewcypierre Member
    edited November 2013

Archlinux + xubuntu user here. For office usage, you guys can try Kingsoft Office though(NOT open source, just a note for those opensource enthusiasts). It worked pretty well for me, the pre 2003 MSOffice formats(doc, ppt, and etc) works pretty well though in MS Office itself. The support for post MSOffice 2007 formats(docx, pptx and etc) have just been added not a very long while ago, so I didn't bothered to try it.

• Debian everywhere... PC, Laptop, Servers and even on the Openmoko which I had.

My taste for the desktop environment changes at times and Debian can cope with it. Now having Cinnamon. Earlier it was GNOME 3 and XFCE.

At office, almost everyone use Mint; but different versions.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited November 2013

I use Ubuntu on my Laptop, And windows on my desktop because of convince and running a Virtual Machine in VirtualBox with Linux most of the time messing around with something or another.

• joepie91 said: I've dropped explicit support for IE on my stuff years ago, and haven't seen any real user complaints. It's really quite surprising how many people are perfectly willing to upgrade to a sane browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) if you explain the problems with IE to them.

Up to 8 or maybe even 9 I'd agree. Everything afterwards is decent.

• I've been using Linux (Ubuntu different releases, OpenSUSE 12, Debian 6, Centos 6) for 3 years now and haven't needed Windows but a very few times, about 2 or 3 times. I have just for back-up a Windows VM but i usually don't turn it on for months.

• Using Debian too. Light but powerful

Thanked by 1Maounique