Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you use linux as desktop os?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you use linux as desktop os?

I think most of you guys here are quite familiar with linux. I wanna know how many of you use it as your desktop os and which distro you are using.

BTW, I am an openSUSE user for about 4 years :). BUT I have to stay with win for some work to deal with Coreldraw etc.

Comments

• Since Steam came out early this year, I've been exclusively Linux, both for work and home. I use Ubuntu (with Unity), although I've been playing with awesome for a while.

• Use slitaz.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

After playing with opensuse for a while, I decided to put debian on my laptop when the harddrive died (desktop replacement) as it is easier to work with the one you know best, even if opensuse has some nice features and is more suited for desktop.

• openSUSE!

• I use Slackware64 14.0 at home. I use Windows 7 at work because of the software I need to use. I could find alternatives, but they want me to use it considering the monetary investment they've made in it.

• I use Ubuntu for my desktop.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Using Ubuntu 12.04 with XFCE, might try out Gnome or KDE.

• Windows as a home OS and CentOS/Ubuntu as work OS.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

I cannot leave Windows since most software I use do not have Linux version.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited November 2013

Ubuntu, but I'd use Mint or Debian if I had to switch.

I occasionally boot into XP to play games when I have a few hours to waste. They're on a dual-boot, but TBH I could do with a better graphics card on this laptop to game, but for work this laptop may as well be a dummy terminal, as I use it to SSH into remote boxes and use a browser & text editor locally.

• I used to use OpenSUSE and Ubuntu in dual boot on my old laptop, but now on my MacBook Air(2013) I am stuck with OS X. Been trying for quite a while to get either debian, ubuntu, or mint up and running on this, but sadly nothing works on the MBA. Anyone have experience with getting linux running on a Macbook here?

• Also daily linux user here on my notebook and pc, zero windows in this home :P

Arch ftw!

• i use linux as main os. mint 15

• Still uses Windows. You always need to test IE when doing website development and there's Photoshop and other software required.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Long time ago i managed to install ie on wine. I know it is a breach of EULA did it only for testing. It was ie 6, it was impossible to ignore at that time as sites were developed for ie 6 first, not for standards.

• Ubuntu 13.10, love the font rendering. However, it doesn't play well with my AMD APU, major heat issue.

• Using Linux for over 10 years. Mint at the moment on an old Thinkpad T61

• I'm using OpenSuse or Suse 9.4 in 2004, because it's having a nice desktop gui. And then now I'm using the default Linux OS from my Laptop, Lynx.

My PC, using VirtualBox, running Ubuntu 13, and Debian 7. While my vps use Debian 6. Ubuntu 13 when installed at VirtualBox, looks like a little weird, I have to change many parts of the widget on it.

• Fedora here, since I am familiar with CentOS command line :-). Tried Ubuntu before, but prefer Fedora.

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

I'm use OS X.

• Yes, I do. I use crunchbang on both my PC and my laptop. I also have windows installed on a separate hdd on my PC for the Adobe suite and a bunch of Humble Bundle games :)

• emreemre Member, LIR

xubuntu on work laptop

xubuntu on home pc

debian on several servers,

centos on all directadmin boxes

no windows, BUT , thinking about installing win 8.1 just for BF4.

Wanna play single player mode...

• using debian 7 with Gnome 3

• @Maounique said:
    Long time ago i managed to install ie on wine. I know it is a breach of EULA did it only for testing. It was ie 6, it was impossible to ignore at that time as sites were developed for ie 6 first, not for standards.

There is a legal and free way now to use ie6-10 for testing purposes modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#downloads

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Tried Windows once but it was very hard to use. Not sure why anyone likes to deal with all the bugs, annoying UI, lousy terminal, lack of customization, lack of package repositories, etc. in Windows. Just too much work to get it usable.

• No, I'm not a hipster, thank you for asking

• not much love for fedora . anyways i use fedora.

• @perennate said:
    Not sure why anyone likes to deal with all the bugs, annoying UI

So Windows has this in common with most Linux distros . . .

• Debian.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

@Microlinux said:
    So Windows has this in common with most Linux distros . . .

Yes, Windows is like Arch. I prefer something where I don't need to spend so much time just to get a desktop working like Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora.