Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Email Provider you using for Personal Use? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What Email Provider you using for Personal Use?

Comments

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited September 2019

@jbuggie said:
    Self-hosted on a Hetzner CX11, rock solid.

Same here. Here is my story:

I'm now 30+ years old, just had birthday (02.09) and have been with Google Mail (Business) incl. own domain for about 10 years. In the beginning Google did a great job, started off with one of those free accounts (self registered, not bought) and kept it and even upgraded it to business. As the years have passed by, Google decided to continously integrate and change important stuff without even noticing the customer (me) in prior of these changes. Buttons were gone, functions moved to different locations, settings got hidden, removed, switched, renamed, you call it. This shit has driven me nuts.

Long story short, this year i've decided to completely cancel all services within Google. I've canceled my account, my mails (i have to rebuy all android apps because those are bound to the old account which is now gone), all youtube stuff etc. I've created a new Gmail-Address for my mobile only and moved all stuff onto two Hetzner CX11 servers + 500 GB Backup storage plan @ Hetzner.

Running super smooth and absolutely gorgeous. Should have done that way earlier. Best decision this year. Still spending same amount of $$ but noone reads my mails or shows me ads based on the mails i receive. Lazyness can be a bitch, i just had to get my ass up and take a step forward. Doing mail is not rocket science.

:)

• @fLoo said:

Did you configure everything from scratch or used one of auto-configuration scripts? If the latest, which one?

• Cheap host (DirectAdmin)

• Yandex for me

• Office 365 Exchange

• No brainer - Gapps.

hdpixel said: My personal favorite is Rackspace mail services.

This. I'am with Gsuite at the moment. Does the Rackspace is better than Gsuite?

• I wanted some provider with good deliverability and also good 2fa. I use runbox. Good value for money and good 2fa system. I also looked at mailbox.org but was not happy with their 2fa system. mxroute didn't seem to have 2fa on user accounts , not sure if that has changed now.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2020

codedivine said: mxroute didn't seem to have 2fa on user accounts

WHMCS and DirectAdmin support it, but IMAP/POP/SMTP protocols don't support it so we don't have it on email accounts. The inbound setup is still mostly outsourced to a control panel (all DA right now, heavily customized, but not like "entirely rewritten") so you can still expect whatever is standard for those panels on authentication to be true. Most of our effort for unique product still going to outbound (though licensing Crossbox makes a few solid dents in the inbound setup as well).

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • amsaalamsaal Member

+1 for mxroute happy customer since a year have problem renewal due to finance issue

Thanked by 1jar

@amsaal said:
    +1 for mxroute happy customer since a year have problem renewal due to finance issue

Looks like you're paid up for a while but if you're still having trouble around that time just let me know.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • MissFortuneMissFortune Member
    edited May 2020

Gsuite for me. Even for business (GSuite paid/Yandex Mail free).

• @akhfa said:
    Mailcow, some domain with external smtp relay

what smtp relay can you recommend?

• kerouackerouac Member

I have legacy gApps account for my domain which I don't use because I'm afraid they will somehow delete it at some point causing me issues. Instead I use some independent mail hoster. Last few months I used Gsuite in a project I was involved in, and liked it a lot.

Now I 'm considering getting Gsuite for my main personal domain, but it has an associated legacy gApps which I don't use, which will probably have to be deleted since it will conflict. Should I (a) go ahead and get GSuite, (b) keep using non-Google email, (c) stop being a consumer and use my free legacy gApps?

• kerouac said: Should I (a) go ahead and get GSuite, (b) keep using non-Google email, (c) stop being a consumer and use my free legacy gApps?

I have been on legacy gApps (the one 10y ago with 50 free accounts) and i've been moved to G Suite Patrimonial. I'm still happy with it, transition was transparent and fast and all works well.

But more and more i'm thinking about avoiding any Google services (or most as possible) since i'm caring more and more about privacy. So i would like to answer (b) for your question and also add that it's not to be replaced by yandex or any big corporate service.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

kerouac said: Now I 'm considering getting Gsuite for my main personal domain, but it has an associated legacy gApps which I don't use, which will probably have to be deleted since it will conflict. Should I (a) go ahead and get GSuite, (b) keep using non-Google email, (c) stop being a consumer and use my free legacy gApps?

Why not use it as legacy until someday when/if Gmail says "we're canceling all legacy" and then convert it then? I'd be surprised if Google cut all legacy without giving you 30 days' notice to subscribe or something.

• pbxpbx Member

fLoo said: Running super smooth and absolutely gorgeous. Should have done that way earlier.

No problem sending to outlook?

• I see so many recommendations for mxroute.com. How are they privacy wise?

edited May 2020

@yaxewenaj said:
    I see so many recommendations for mxroute.com. How are they privacy wise?

MXroute focuses more on functional inbound, the death of the per user cost, and going above and beyond to ensure outbound delivery.

It’s not in competition with services like ProtonMail, email is stored in the same fashion as all shared hosting providers. Security beyond a secure connection and well managed servers would be something the client does optionally (like use PGP).

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • @jar said:

@yaxewenaj said:
    I see so many recommendations for mxroute.com. How are they privacy wise?

MXroute focuses more on functional inbound, the death of the per user cost, and going above and beyond to ensure outbound delivery.

It’s not in competition with services like ProtonMail, email is stored in the same fashion as all shared hosting providers. Security beyond a secure connection and well managed servers would be something the client does optionally (like use PGP).

Thanks for the swift reply. In other words, we have to trust that you do not read our emails as with most providers.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @amsaal said:
    gsuite is having offers now 3 usd but i forgot which site is offering it anyways my hosted mailcow is running fine.

Many resellers doing this, one of them is name.com. This is one time discount and you will be paying $6 a month after one year.

• TerensMTerensM Member

MxRoute rocks

Thanked by 3jar simonindia Ouji
  • kerouackerouac Member

@o_be_one said:

kerouac said: Should I (a) go ahead and get GSuite, (b) keep using non-Google email, (c) stop being a consumer and use my free legacy gApps?

I have been on legacy gApps (the one 10y ago with 50 free accounts) and i've been moved to G Suite Patrimonial. I'm still happy with it, transition was transparent and fast and all works well.

But more and more i'm thinking about avoiding any Google services (or most as possible) since i'm caring more and more about privacy. So i would like to answer (b) for your question and also add that it's not to be replaced by yandex or any big corporate service.

I've been on the privacy mindset now for close to 10 years, and all it has given me is headache and discomfort. I'm now moving towards raising the white flag and giving into Google. Privacy concerns was why I initially stopped using my legacy gApps (and my personal gmail) back in the day.

By using (paying for) GSuite, you still support Google and this its evil financially, but not datawise. Since it's a paid product and you have a business relation, your data is not processed the same way as a personal Gmail account where your emails are processed and used for targeted advertising etc.

Btw what is "G Suite patrimonial"? Nothing online about that.

Thanked by 2Ouji o_be_one

kerouac said: I've been on the privacy mindset now for close to 10 years, and all it has given me is headache and discomfort

Recently discovered this and haven't tested it out yet, but I like that the goal here is to help you bring privacy with you: https://www.mailvelope.com

• +1 for MXRoute

Thanked by 1jar
  • kerouac said: Btw what is "G Suite patrimonial"? Nothing online about that.

French name for G Suite after gApp free for 50 accounts. I can't find this on Google too that's weird ahah but it's the name i can see in my french billing status.

Thanked by 2vimalware kerouac
  • joepolljoepoll Member

OVH Pro Mail

• stephfd21stephfd21 Member
    edited May 2020

I've been with Mxroute for a few years now and I've never been disappointed with the service or the security. I recently got a local government contract on my island and I use mxroute to manage their mail. I've never heard or saw any type of data breach and I know for a fact they do some shady shit in that government. There have been many email leaks from other parts of the government but never with those that use mxroute through me.

Thanked by 1jar
  • strmdstrmd Member
    edited May 2020

Another one here using mailbox.org, highly recommended.

• Mxroute and gsuite, both have their own merits. Even protonmail has clean app with solid free tier offerings

This discussion has been closed.