Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which free web hosting control panel would you recommend? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which free web hosting control panel would you recommend?

Comments

• infoinfo Member

actually virtualmin should be best but it is very detailed and hard to use for basic users. not user friendly. so ispconfig is better in that matter. I didn't use all of them in the list. maybe they're better. I dislike cpanel, already it's non free. good riddance. :smile:

Thanked by 2WebHostingUK Ympker
  • @info said:
    actually virtualmin should be best but it is very detailed and hard to use for basic users. not user friendly. so ispconfig is better in that matter. I didn't use all of them in the list. maybe they're better. I dislike cpanel, already it's non free. good riddance. :smile:

I think most people now dislike cPanel due to Oakley taking over and pushing up prices by over 300+%.. Some even more than this.

Also one of the main reasons for moving to a different control panel so I'm not filling their pockets. A great control panel but sadly now in the wrong hands.

Thanked by 1info
  • infoinfo Member

@WebHostingUK said:

@info said:

I think most people now dislike cPanel due to Oakley taking over and pushing up prices by over 300+%.. Some even more than this.

Also one of the main reasons for moving to a different control panel so I'm not filling their pockets. A great control panel but sadly now in the wrong hands.

yes. it wasn't my first preference even while it was cheaper. but yeah, right now it's really on such greedy hands. I was waiting this step from them after take over.

• CoffeeCoffee Member

I vote for Virtualmin although I have more servers with Vesta/Hestia. I just found that Virtualmin can do backups with a very low CPU/IO priority so I like it even more :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Coffee said:
    I vote for Virtualmin although I have more servers with Vesta/Hestia. I just found that Virtualmin can do backups with a very low CPU/IO priority so I like it even more :)

Oh great! You used both Vesta and Hestia. What do you prefer?

Still thinking about switching from VestaCP to Hestia.

• I prefer ispconfig. Not easy to install, you need to install all component by yourself but howtoforge have a lot of tutorial. But this method also have advantage in security, you can use your preferred repository or compile by yourself, example when I use Debian, I usually use dotdeb repository for Apache, php,etc. Default theme a little bit out of date but it's possible to change theme. Integrated apps installer also working for a lot of scripts.

I also use vestacp before it have the incident. I like vestacp because it is very simple and also we can change installer options on vestacp site.

From vestacp I change several of my vps to use cyberpanel. It is easy to install, support multiple php version etc. New installer also now support lite install (exclude mail server and ftp server).

Note: I never use all that panel for commercial purpose, all for my own website.

If you concern about security you can bookmark this wht thread :
    https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770951

Thanked by 2Ympker kkrajk
  • CoffeeCoffee Member

Thommato said: switching from VestaCP to Hestia

I only use Hestia for the new development. For the websites that are already running on Vesta, I keep it there.

Thanked by 2Thommato Ympker
  • @hardgamers said:
    I prefer ispconfig. Not easy to install, you need to install all component by yourself but howtoforge have a lot of tutorial. But this method also have advantage in security, you can use your preferred repository or compile by yourself, example when I use Debian, I usually use dotdeb repository for Apache, php,etc. Default theme a little bit out of date but it's possible to change theme. Integrated apps installer also working for a lot of scripts.

I'm guessing other than cPanel you'll need to install LAMP and all the repos yourself?

• @WebHostingUK said:

@hardgamers said:
    I prefer ispconfig. Not easy to install, you need to install all component by yourself but howtoforge have a lot of tutorial. But this method also have advantage in security, you can use your preferred repository or compile by yourself, example when I use Debian, I usually use dotdeb repository for Apache, php,etc. Default theme a little bit out of date but it's possible to change theme. Integrated apps installer also working for a lot of scripts.

I'm guessing other than cPanel you'll need to install LAMP and all the repos yourself?

Yes, with ispconfig you need to install all server component manually including Apache/nginx, php,.. example :

https://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-10-buster-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-1/

Ispconfig doesn't have 1 install script that will install all component..

Cyberpanel and vestacp will install all components for you .. I never use any free panel other than ispconfig,vestacp and cyberpanel

• WebHostingUKWebHostingUK Member
    edited July 2019

@hardgamers said:

@WebHostingUK said:

@hardgamers said:

Yes, with ispconfig you need to install all server component manually including Apache/nginx, php,.. example :

https://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-10-buster-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-1/

Cyberpanel and vestacp will install all components for you .. I never use any free panel other than ispconfig,vestacp and cyberpanel

Does ISPConfig have any migration tools (cPanel to ISPConfig) ?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@hardgamers said:

@WebHostingUK said:

@hardgamers said:

Actually, ISPConfig 3 has several auto install scripts:

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ispconfig-automated-install-script/

https://github.com/servisys/ispconfig_setup

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@WebHostingUK said:

@hardgamers said:

@WebHostingUK said:

@hardgamers said:

Does ISPConfig have any migration tools (cPanel to ISPConfig) ?

No. You'd have to restore your www folder and database manually. If you offer E-Mails maybe it's a bit more of a hassle but you can surely ask on their forums ;)

I stopped offering E-Mail along with all my hosting plans so migration to any panel is just www folder and database migration now, which is fairly easy.

I am planning to write a simple bash script that converts a cPanel backup into an ISPConfig backup so you can 1 click restore it :) I will not take into account E-Mails though, sorry. Just Website migration to that end. But I guess anyone who needs e-mail could expand my script once it's done.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

This one is also great :) Only "downside" is, so far you can only create backups, not restore them (afaik). So you'd need to upload www/dtb manually.

Thanked by 1v3ng
    edited July 2019

Im liking the dashboard layout, looks clean.

Thanked by 1v3ng
    edited July 2019

OK I just need the one now really that offers the easiest migration process, I know CentOS has recently created one, as far as i'm aware only ISPConfig also has one, but not for converting from cPanel which is a shame.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@WebHostingUK said:

It's great :) Very straight-forward

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@WebHostingUK said:
    OK I just need the one now really that offers the easiest migration process, I know CentOS has recently created one, as far as i'm aware only ISPConfig also has one, but not for converting from cPanel which is a shame.

Just make sure to test the panels thoroughly and not decide on the migration process alone. cPanel's change was a pain regardless so might as well keep finishing the poisonous dish and do a manual migration to the panel that fits best your future needs. Migration is a one-off thing. The panel, you'd probably wanna stick with for..ever?! So yeah, I understand a migration tool would make things easier but don't decide based on that alone. That being said CWP has a migration tool but also lots of bloat and I don't like it much imho.

Thanked by 1WebHostingUK
  • @Ympker said:

@WebHostingUK said:

Just make sure to test the panels thoroughly and not decide on the migration process alone. cPanel's change was a pain regardless so might as well keep finishing the poisonous dish and do a manual migration to the panel that fits best your future needs. Migration is a one-off thing. The panel, you'd probably wanna stick with for..ever?! So yeah, I understand a migration tool would make things easier but don't decide based on that alone. That being said CWP has a migration tool but also lots of bloat and I don't like it much imho.

Do many clients need help with migration?
    I see that many providers offer free migration (especially from cPanel) when signing up.

In case that many customers require migration, would a good automated migration option save a lot of time in the long run?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@WebHostingUK said:

I see that many providers offer free migration (especially from cPanel) when signing up.

In case that many customers require migration, would a good automated migration option save a lot of time in the long run?

I believe right now the demand is exceptionally high for any migration from cPanel to any other viable panel as providers are looking to jump ship.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2019

@Ympker said:

@WebHostingUK said:

It's great :) Very straight-forward

Have been idling a keyhelp instance for a month but never tried to actually do anything with it other than a quick look. Lack of CSF and the use of some inbuilt firewall is off-putting. Other than that, I agree that it certainly looks good on a cursory glance. Would be interested on how well it compares in terms of security, though.

Eagerly awaiting the Rack911 report on CWP. For me, CWP has been/is easier and more comprehensive than DA, not taking into account the Reseller aspects (which I don't need/use). Patchy responses on forum questions isn't good though.

EDIT:clarification on firewall.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@WebHostingUK said:

I believe right now the demand is exceptionally high for any migration from cPanel to any other viable panel as providers are looking to jump ship.

It would definatly help increase their sales, moving accounts can be tedious work.

Also noticed one person has put zpanel but haven't they stopped developing the panel now?

• I really like cyberpanel doing very well with WordPress sites

• @cimaserver said:
    I really like cyberpanel doing very well with WordPress sites

Only free though if it's just the one domain.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@WebHostingUK said:

@cimaserver said:

Test some websites on ISPConfig/Keyhelp ;)

edited July 2019

@Ympker said:

@WebHostingUK said:

@cimaserver said:

Test some websites on ISPConfig/Keyhelp ;)

I want to be fully off cPanel and moved before the price rise from cpanel on 1st Sept if possible. Going to be a quick test then format for the next one.

Ordering the dedicated server tomorrow.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @WebHostingUK said:

((cough)) Proxmox!

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@WebHostingUK said:

((cough)) Proxmox!

Looking at the pricing this isn't free or is this a different version? https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve/pricing

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2019

@WebHostingUK said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

@WebHostingUK said:

((cough)) Proxmox!

Looking at the pricing this isn't free or is this a different version? https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve/pricing

See below, if you're not going to cluster your dedi(s).

Proxmox VE source code is licensed under the GNU AGPL, v3 and free to download and use.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation:_Tips_and_Tricks
    https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Stretch
    The key piece:

echo "deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch pve-no-subscription" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-install-repo.list

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@WebHostingUK said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

@WebHostingUK said:

((cough)) Proxmox!

See below, if you're not going to cluster your dedi(s).

Proxmox VE source code is licensed under the GNU AGPL, v3 and free to download and use.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation:_Tips_and_Tricks
    https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Stretch
    The key piece:

echo "deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch pve-no-subscription" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-install-repo.list

Thanks will check.