Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzen 3900X VPS 1GB $3.48 2GB $6.96 NVMe - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ryzen 3900X VPS 1GB $3.48 2GB $6.96 NVMe

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@vyas11 said:
    Looks interesting!

But also waiting for the cries of "why only 1 TB " like the @intovps deal posted yesterday.

How very smart - not!

The point in that other thread was not "why only 1 TB ". The point was why @intovps sells traffic volume upgrades for a very expensive $ 20 per TB.

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@jsg said:

@vyas11 said:
    Looks interesting!

But also waiting for the cries of "why only 1 TB " like the @intovps deal posted yesterday.

How very smart - not!

The point in that other thread was not "why only 1 TB ". The point was why @intovps sells traffic volume upgrades for a very expensive $ 20 per TB.

This is obviously an opinionated discussion and both the client and the provider can watch and fix their thing to avoid over charges.

But one answer to "why" is that we have premium providers like Leaseweb and a traffic over usage invoice can go over 500€ in a month.

That's obviously not your problem, it is just a "why".

I'm sure there are plenty of options on the market if you're just looking to get the best possible price per TB of traffic over usage.

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@intovps

Sorry, I will not get into that here, in another providers thread. I simply wanted to put some BS from @vyas11 straight.

(@MikeA Apologies for the short interruption and good luck with your offer)

Thanked by 1intovps
  • taubintaubin Member

Unfortunately I was informed they have run out of IPs and my order was refunded. Hopefully they can get it sorted soon. I was really looking forward to nabbing one.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Plans are out of stock as of earlier. The promos will still work for a bit if you want to try to get one when they come back in stock, but it would only be during cancellations for now.

• williewillie Member

I also have to wonder what's up with the 1TB though I can live with it under the circumstances. I notice I get 400+ mbit upload and download speed to my HostHatch (LA) storage server (36 msec ping), so that can relieve the storage bottleneck, but the traffic limit could in principle then be its own bottleneck.

Unfortunately there are no more good Incero storage plans since they are presumably right there at Hivelocity. MikeA maybe you want to find another DC for this? You need a western US location anyway ;).

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
    edited July 2019

@willie said:
    I also have to wonder what's up with the 1TB though I can live with it under the circumstances. I notice I get 400+ mbit upload and download speed to my HostHatch (LA) storage server (36 msec ping), so that can relieve the storage bottleneck, but the traffic limit could in principle then be its own bottleneck.

Unfortunately there are no more good Incero storage plans since they are presumably right there at Hivelocity. MikeA maybe you want to find another DC for this? You need a western US location anyway ;).

Bandwidth is pretty standard across all plans and services. I think overage is $1.20/TB. I don't have any plans to ever provide any storage service.

• williewillie Member

I guess it's actually 2TB for the 2GB ram plan. I don't feel likely to hit that limit so it's ok. I was hoping for a west coast location to be closer to where my storage is (currently LA and Las Vegas).

@willie said:
    I guess it's actually 2TB for the 2GB ram plan. I don't feel likely to hit that limit so it's ok. I was hoping for a west coast location to be closer to where my storage is (currently LA and Las Vegas).

no plans to have west coast, sry.

Thanked by 1willie
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Oh well, maybe someday. Gotta say I really like this 2GB 2 core plan and recommend it over the 1GB. It's not just the ram that I don't really need: the extra core speeds up ffmpeg and other things, and the extra SSD gives welcome breathing space if you're messing with large chunks of data. I hope you can get more IP's soon.

Btw it would be great if you could enable cpu passthru. The cpu has several features (AVX etc) that aren't available in the emulation.

@willie said:
    Oh well, maybe someday. Gotta say I really like this 2GB 2 core plan and recommend it over the 1GB. It's not just the ram that I don't really need: the extra core speeds up ffmpeg and other things, and the extra SSD gives welcome breathing space if you're messing with large chunks of data. I hope you can get more IP's soon.

Btw it would be great if you could enable cpu passthru. The cpu has several features (AVX etc) that aren't available in the emulation.

IPs are fine, I'm just out of space. If you want cpu passthrough just open a ticket.

• williewillie Member

MikeA said: IPs are fine, I'm just out of space. If you want cpu passthrough just open a ticket.

Build moar nodes!!! :). This is a great product. I may take you up on the passthru and do an ffmpeg test or two. I don't know if ffmpeg uses AVX in any useful way though, and don't offhand know of anything else that does.

• damn out of stock. Would of loved a 4gb plan

@stephfd21 said:
    damn out of stock. Would of loved a 4gb plan

I'll put a new system up in the near future probably, honestly I didn't expect people to use the promos to the full extent.

Thanked by 1JustPfff
  • @MikeA said:

@stephfd21 said:
    damn out of stock. Would of loved a 4gb plan

I'll put a new system up in the near future probably, honestly I didn't expect people to use the promos to the full extent.

Near future as in tomorrow? lollll

Thanked by 1JustPfff
  • HivelocityHivelocity Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:

I am not 100% on what you guys are asking for but I am certainly happy to talk through it and see what we can do to make you all happy. Let me know.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@Hivelocity said:

@willie said:

I am not 100% on what you guys are asking for but I am certainly happy to talk through it and see 'what we can do to make you all happy. Let me know.

I think it may be just wanting to hear some reassuring murmurs about always keeping that old speedykvm storage deal in stock, henceforth and forevermore :)

DAL-STOR 60
    1.6GB ECC RAM
    1 CPU (host node is Dual E5-2620 v1)
    1TB HDD Raid 60
    10TB Transfer, 4gbps Port
    Full KVM Virtualization

• HivelocityHivelocity Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

@uptime said:

@Hivelocity said:

@willie said:

I am not 100% on what you guys are asking for but I am certainly happy to talk through it and see 'what we can do to make you all happy. Let me know.

I think it may be just wanting to hear some reassuring murmurs about always keepjng this speedykvm storage deal in stock, henceforth and forevermore :)

> DAL-STOR 60
    > 1.6GB ECC RAM
    > 1 CPU (host node is Dual E5-2620 v1)
    > 1TB HDD Raid 60
    > 10TB Transfer, 4gbps Port
    > Full KVM Virtualization
    > 

Alright, let me check into that and get back to you all. Thanks for the clarification.

On another note, off topic, I have seen a lot of commentary about cPanel and their new pricing really screwing some of you all. We hope to announce our go forward pricing model on cPanel within the next few days. Our plan is to offer 2 or 3 pricing tiers, each of which includes a bunch of accounts for a flat fee. We have a few schematics worked out already and are now just figuring out which one is the best. Considering we lose money in many of the scenarios with flat rates, it is quite a lot to analyze. With that said, we are committed to bringing back some semblance of what everyone is used to and are willing to eat some costs in order to accomplish that. I will make sure to post here once we have things finalized.

• Damn, I hope some of these come back in stock. I should have snagged one when I first commented, f*ck me

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

@JohnMiller92 you can have mine if you want it and if @MikeA allows the transfer. It's a fantastic VM but I have several dedis and just got this VM for testing. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth in just a few days. It's a 2GB version so it's $6.96/m if you can get the 42% promo, otherwise paid through the next few weeks but $12 after that.

I notice that Ryzen 3900X cpus are out of stock everywhere and reportedly selling for $750-ish on ebay (they are $499 retail) so don't expect new nodes soon. There are shortages of the lower models too. Hopefully that will all clear up before too long.

Meanwhile the new Vultr High Frequency instances (hardware unknown) are roughly the same single core speed as these Ryzens. They are more expensive on a monthly basis than this Ryzen VM, but I tried one for a few days at very little cost, and it was nice.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited July 2019

Aww @willie that's nice of you. I grabbed something else, unfortunately. But will definitely be checking this thread in the upcoming weeks/months

edited July 2019

@willie said:
    @JohnMiller92 you can have mine if you want it and if @MikeA allows the transfer. It's a fantastic VM but I have several dedis and just got this VM for testing. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth in just a few days. It's a 2GB version so it's $6.96/m if you can get the 42% promo, otherwise paid through the next few weeks but $12 after that.

I notice that Ryzen 3900X cpus are out of stock everywhere and reportedly selling for $750-ish on ebay (they are $499 retail) so don't expect new nodes soon. There are shortages of the lower models too. Hopefully that will all clear up before too long.

Meanwhile the new Vultr High Frequency instances (hardware unknown) are roughly the same single core speed as these Ryzens. They are more expensive on a monthly basis than this Ryzen VM, but I tried one for a few days at very little cost, and it was nice.

Servers can be transferred.

Getting the CPUs isn't an issue, I'm just trying to not put lots of money out right now for this because VPS have high turnover (most people who used the 70% off promo could cancel, then it would be half empty), and I've spent thousands recently moving lots of game servers off of OVH in the past few months.

I may wait until I can get good X570 builds since those support 128GB RAM, unlike the X470 that I use right now.

• williewillie Member

Fair enough. These are great VPS and at the 42% off level I think you'll having trouble keeping them in stock. X570 may have better performance but OTOH it sounds like it means 2x as much memory per cpu core, so cpu per user on small plans decreases. Part of why the current version is so great is that cpu is way overprovisioned compared to competing vps. OTOH, 3950X is coming...

@willie said:
    Fair enough. These are great VPS and at the 42% off level I think you'll having trouble keeping them in stock. X570 may have better performance but OTOH it sounds like it means 2x as much memory per cpu core, so cpu per user on small plans decreases. Part of why the current version is so great is that cpu is way overprovisioned compared to competing vps. OTOH, 3950X is coming...

Well... CPU usage definitely isn't an issue here lol. With it out of stock CPU usage averages at like 5%. Having 128GB systems is going to make it easy to keep more stock.

• williewillie Member

You have to look at peak rather than average usage. The higher core count does make a few simultaneous cpu-busy users less likely to hose the box, though. I guess it will work ok. 128GB ram with that cpu gives about the same cpu to ram ratio as an E3 with 32GB (BuyVM slice node). Burst cpu on my 1gb slice plan is usually adequate, but I don't feel like I can keep it busy for any significant amount of time, like longer than a few minutes.

That seems a bit limiting. Maxing cpu 1% of the time is 3+ hours per month (counting each thread 2x) so ideally it should be ok to use an hour or so at a time as long as it's not too often. I instead use a dedi for that sort of thing but not everyone has a dedi.

edited July 2019

@willie said:
    You have to look at peak rather than average usage. The higher core count does make a few simultaneous cpu-busy users less likely to hose the box, though. I guess it will work ok. 128GB ram with that cpu gives about the same cpu to ram ratio as an E3 with 32GB (BuyVM slice node). Burst cpu on my 1gb slice plan is usually adequate, but I don't feel like I can keep it busy for any significant amount of time, like longer than a few minutes.

That seems a bit limiting. Maxing cpu 1% of the time is 3+ hours per month (counting each thread 2x) so ideally it should be ok to use an hour or so at a time as long as it's not too often. I instead use a dedi for that sort of thing but not everyone has a dedi.

Ok, the peak is like 15%... I assure you CPU being overloaded is the last concern with anything on ExtraVM. Running 128GB RAM wouldn't be a problem on a 12c/24t CPU or the 16c/32t CPU.

https://extravm.com/hostedimage/graph.png

Buy#VM is completely different, the CPUs are less core/threads than these, he has a completely different type of marketing for those. Keep in mind tons of hosts use 4 core or 6 core CPUs for VPS, including all of my KVM systems on OVH.

Thanked by 1willie
  • williewillie Member

Nice graph. All those early peaks are likely to be benchmarks too. Yes, the higher core count is important. It will be great when these AMD's are more plentiful.

@willie I upped the bandwidth limit for all VPS to 10TB, after 10TB it will be slowed to 10Mbps.

• wroxwrox Member

Will there be more stock?

• icryicry Member

@wrox said:
    Will there be more stock?

Need to know the same :)

This discussion has been closed.