Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzen 3900X VPS 1GB $3.48 2GB $6.96 NVMe - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ryzen 3900X VPS 1GB $3.48 2GB $6.96 NVMe

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2019

@zllovesuki said:
    @MikeA this box is unclickable on the iPad, touch or pencil:

I’m on iPadOS 13 and it works fine with both my pencil and touch.

• @doghouch uhhh idk why then

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

There's few providers I trust to run a tight ship that allow me to run game servers in a VPS... Mike/ExtraVM is on the short list. Not sure how he keeps the performance up and abusers out at such a low price point, but somehow he does it. Highly recommended!

Ordered a Ryzen 2gb package. Excited to try it out and test the Ryzen/Hivelocity waters! Keep up the great work, Mike!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@MasonR said:
    There's few providers I trust to run a tight ship that allow me to run game servers in a VPS... Mike/ExtraVM is on the short list. Not sure how he keeps the performance up and abusers out at such a low price point, but somehow he does it. Highly recommended!

Ordered a Ryzen 2gb package. Excited to try it out and test the Ryzen/Hivelocity waters! Keep up the great work, Mike!

• williewillie Member

MikeA are you cool with my taking a 70% coupon and cancelling after 1 month, or maybe giving me a 2GB 1 day mini-plan for $1? I'm interested in testing this cpu on a production task that I normally run on a dedi. The task is 100% cpu for 30-60 minutes and I'd want to run it a few times with reasonable rest periods between. My real app generates 1 of these tasks daily and I usually batch them til the end of the month, then run a script on the dedi that spends about 8 hours processing them on 4 cores.

I'm not in the market for another VPS right now (that's what the dedi is for) so this request isn't for a try-before-buy. It's just data collection for possible future reference.

edited July 2019

@willie said:
    MikeA are you cool with my taking a 70% coupon and cancelling after 1 month, or maybe giving me a 2GB 1 day mini-plan for $1? I'm interested in testing this cpu on a production task that I normally run on a dedi. The task is 100% cpu for 30-60 minutes and I'd want to run it a few times with reasonable rest periods between. My real app generates 1 of these tasks daily and I usually batch them til the end of the month, then run a script on the dedi that spends about 8 hours processing them on 4 cores.

I'm not in the market for another VPS right now (that's what the dedi is for) so this request isn't for a try-before-buy. It's just data collection for possible future reference.

Well, the 70% promo was made for the purpose of people just wanting to try it out, but I rather not give a plan for $1 because I'm already low on space and IPs. Since you said you're running it on a dedi anyway I don't really see the point. You can get the 1GB plan and I'll allocate an extra core for you to test I guess,

• williewillie Member

If you're ok with me using the 70% promo as a 1 month tryout then I might do that, thanks! The usual hope for such a promo is that the person will keep using the VM, but in my case I'm more likely to stay with the dedi after the 1 month expires. I don't need ipv4 at all; v6-only is fine.

Thanked by 1Galeej
  • @MasonR said:

SECONDED. EXTRAVM IS GOOD STUFF.

Thanked by 1Galeej
  • williewillie Member

JoeMerit said: SECONDED. EXTRAVM IS GOOD STUFF.

Thirded ;). The absolute most responsive (disk, cpu, network) VPS that I've ever had was an ExtraVM NVMe black friday plan from a few years back. Eventually cancelled because idle, but held onto it for much too long because of the smile it brought.

• GaleejGaleej Member

Fourthed. Amazing performance... though the latency is high I would still prefer to use it.

@willie said:
    If you're ok with me using the 70% promo as a 1 month tryout then I might do that, thanks! The usual hope for such a promo is that the person will keep using the VM, but in my case I'm more likely to stay with the dedi after the 1 month expires. I don't need ipv4 at all; v6-only is fine.

I can't do v6 only, it just won't work with some not working internal IPv4. Maybe it's the OS I tried, maybe it's KVM, I didn't try for long since I don't plan to ever do anything without IPv4. If you get a 1GB plan to test PM me and I'll add the extra CPU.

Thanked by 1willie
  • williewillie Member

Thanks, might take you up on that, want to finish up a few other things first, which will also give other new users time to finish benchmarking.

• williewillie Member

Any chance you might offer big cheap HDD add-on storage?

@willie said:
    Any chance you might offer big cheap HDD add-on storage?

nah, I don't do anything with hdd.

Thanked by 2willie chrisp
  • williewillie Member

Oh well, thanks ;). Meanwhile, ordered 2GB 70offdal, worked after I got my cc# right.

Received email with login details, immediately tried to ssh in, connection failed. Figured I maybe needed to connect from management console, tried to log into that with username/password that were provided in the email. That failed saying password was wrong.

Tried to ssh in again and this time it worked: I guess VPS was still being installed or booting when the email went out. You might want to add a sentence to the email saying it might take a few minutes to spin up. Not sure what to do about management console.

CPU flags from /proc/cpuinfo:

flags       : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat 
    pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm nopl cpuid tsc_known_freq pni cx16
     x2apic hypervisor lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch vmmcall
    bugs        : fxsave_leak sysret_ss_attrs spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_b
    ypass

Openssl speed rsa2048:

sign    verify    sign/s verify/s
    rsa 2048 bits 0.000664s 0.000020s   1505.3  50484.6

Pretty good! More tests soon.

Realized after I ordered that I used the one-time 70% off coupon instead of the recurring one. Ohh well, ordered a second VM with the right coupon. Consider it a tip in appreciation for the stellar service :)

• williewillie Member

ffmpeg build time 3m16s on two threads. This compares with slightly under 3 minutes on my 4 core dedi :O. This is great.

I noticed a few missing packages in the debian 10 install. Is it a standard template? Netstat command was missing so I had to install it. Had to install a few other things before I could build ffmpeg too, but I don't remember if those were there by default in earlier debian.

@MasonR said:
    Realized after I ordered that I used the one-time 70% off coupon instead of the recurring one. Ohh well, ordered a second VM with the right coupon. Consider it a tip in appreciation for the stellar service :)

Well, if you want it credited open a ticket or PM.

@willie said:
    I noticed a few missing packages in the debian 10 install. Is it a standard template?

Right. It's a basic Debian 10 install, nothing more.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Any plans for a similar offer in Europe?

@MikeA said:

@MasonR said:

Well, if you want it credited open a ticket or PM.

Nah, it's all good. Not worried about it.

@v3ng said:
    Any plans for a similar offer in Europe?

Unlikely, I'd have to ship my own hardware to Europe, and it isn't worth it.

• @MikeA said:

@willie said:
    Very nice offer! If anyone wants to try out a much slower Zen CPU, you can get hourly EPYC 7401P at Scaleway.com. That's the older generation Epyc but it will let you test things. But the 3900X is something else again. I'm looking forward to these becoming more widespread. MikeA what motherboard are you using if you don't mind my asking?

I use ASRockRack X470 for all of my Ryzen stuff right now.

Graphics
    Controller - ASPEED AST2500
    VRAM - DDR4 256MB

Interesting work around

• williewillie Member

OK, this does one of my conversion tasks (mentioned above) in about 21 minutes cpu (19 minutes realtime because there is a little bit of parallelism) or does two of them in about 41 minutes cpu, 22 minutes realtime on both threads/cores. That is compared to about 35 cpu minutes each on an i5-3570K dedi. i7-3770 and E3-1230v3 are a little faster but not that much.

Conclusion: this cpu is a beast. Even the 8 core 65 watt version probably competes with the dual E5-2670's that are sometimes in demand around here, while using a fraction of the electric power. I hope it can replace the 4 core i5/i7 as the typical low end dedi pretty soon.

I imagine the cpu share of this offer will decrease as the node fills up, but even still it probably has the highest cpu to ram ratio of any cheap vps.

MikeA, any chance of supplemental storage availability (SSD ok), or higher traffic limits within HiVelocity in case someone else is offering a storage plan there? This thing's cpu combined with a good storage offer would be about the best low end VPS setup in north america.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Highest scoring cpu at cpubenchmark.com, 32000 passmark score. For comparison the 9900k has a 20k score.

Excellent deal!

Thanked by 1JustPfff
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited July 2019

is this potentially vps of the year?

• williewillie Member

cybertech said: is this potentially vps of the year?

Hadn't thought of it that way but it may well beat the 5ghz game servers that were the hotness a year or so ago. I'm supposed to not be into benchmarks but I ran a nench. Pretty impressive:

-------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2019-07-22 09:53:19 UTC

Processor:    QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores:    2
    Frequency:    3792.874 MHz
    RAM:          1.9Gi
    bash: line 156: swapon: command not found
    Swap:         -
    Kernel:       Linux 4.19.0-5-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    vda     30G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        1.685 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        3.617 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        1.915 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 79.2 us / 120.1 us / 2.73 ms / 36.0 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 22.4 k requests in 5.00 s, 5.47 GiB, 4.48 k iops, 1.09 GiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    1144.41 MiB/s
        2nd run:    1049.04 MiB/s
        3rd run:    1525.88 MiB/s
        average:    1239.78 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    xx.xx.xxx.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         91.91 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        11.68 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   90.68 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      14.21 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         30.17 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests
        your IPv6:    xxxx:xxxx:x:xxxx

Leaseweb (NL):        5.09 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   35.25 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      9.01 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         18.00 MiB/s

nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2019-07-22 09:54:32 UTC

Processor:    QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores:    2
    Frequency:    3792.874 MHz
    RAM:          1.9Gi
    bash: line 156: swapon: command not found
    Swap:         -
    Kernel:       Linux 4.19.0-5-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    vda     30G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        1.735 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        3.688 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        2.015 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 76.4 us / 115.6 us / 13.4 ms / 68.9 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 19.7 k requests in 5.00 s, 4.82 GiB, 3.95 k iops, 987.1 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    1239.78 MiB/s
        2nd run:    811.58 MiB/s
        3rd run:    761.99 MiB/s
        average:    937.78 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    xx.xx.xxx.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         91.58 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        11.82 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   91.42 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      19.46 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         47.89 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests
        your IPv6:    xxxx:xxxx:x:xxxx

Leaseweb (NL):        5.85 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   8.70 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      6.45 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         16.00 MiB/s

Thanked by 3cybertech uptime ITLabs
  • @willie what OS is this on?

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

vfuse said: Highest scoring cpu at cpubenchmark.com, 32000 passmark score. For comparison the 9900k has a 20k score.

The 9900k is an 8 core (I think) and the 3900X is a 12 core, so single core speed is in the same ballpark between them.

cybertech said: @willie what OS is this on?

Cybertech: Debian 10. Re vps of the year: yeah if you are a typical LET idler with an occasional ffmpeg to do, it is great. I did an opus to aac audio transcode at about 80x, vs about 60x on the i7-3770k and maybe 12x on my laptop. I'm having fun with it but I have to remind myself to not get too carried away. And I hope MikeA implements some kind of throttling to keep the 24/7 compute hogs away. It is really great though to be able to run flat out for an hour or two now and then.

My i5 kimsufi (about $17/month) is still faster overall (due to having 4 cores instead of 2), is a dedi, and has 2TB of disk. My favorite general purpose vps is still my 1GB BuyVM slice which is much slower and cpu-contended than this vps, but it has a 500gb storage slab attached. The main shortcoming of this vps is lack of storage (30GB with the 2gb version and half that with the 1gb). Maybe MikeA can offer some kind of expansion though.

FWIW I was also very impressed with the Vultr high frequency instance that I used for a few days earlier this week, but I didn't take down any measurements. At $6/m for 1gb and 1 core it is more expensive than this though.

Eventually I'd like to consolidate everything to a US dedi or colo but I'm not ready to do that yet.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @willie this is also ECC, plus points lol

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @willie said:
    I'm supposed to not be into benchmarks but I ran a nench. Pretty impressive:

Request for CPU-Passthrough and those CPU metrics will still (greatly) improve!

Thanked by 1cybertech
This discussion has been closed.