Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't people use Google Cloud's "Always Free Tier" as a small VPS? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why don't people use Google Cloud's "Always Free Tier" as a small VPS?

124»

Comments

• williewillie Member

479555 said: I used it before switching to GCP and it was painfully slow and they put banners on your site...

Interesting, they say they don't put in any ads? I wonder if it's still so slow. It seems to be that super low end services got a lot better in the past few years, as SSD displaced HDD. I think a lot of slowness came from HDD latency. Of course a lot more comes from web bloat, but the site operator is the culprit there.

• 479555479555 Member

@willie said:

479555 said: I used it before switching to GCP and it was painfully slow and they put banners on your site...

Interesting, they say they don't put in any ads? I wonder if it's still so slow. It seems to be that super low end services got a lot better in the past few years, as SSD displaced HDD. I think a lot of slowness came from HDD latency. Of course a lot more comes from web bloat, but the site operator is the culprit there.

They don't show ads of other firms, but they do show theirs (as a small banner on the website itself or as big banners in the admin section of WordPress). The bad thing is that they remained even after I migrated the site to GCP, so I had to dig in WordPress' files to find and delete them. A pain in the ass.

I used 000webhost a couple of years ago and sometimes it took 20-30 seconds to load a page. It was outrageous. It took forever to update plugins as well!

I never looked back.

Thanked by 2willie Ouji
  • williewillie Member

Ah well. There is always afreecloud.com.

Thanked by 1479555
  • titustitus Member
    edited July 2019

My (biggest) problem is with the Google Cloud "free tier" "smallest VPS" is the traffic limit. The 1GB is very-very small for any normal usage. So if You make some "normal" traffic, it's not free :) You can't calculate surely the expected cost/traffic. So any other cheap VPS provider is better for me because I can calculate the cost. :$
    So if You want to use it really, it will not "free".

"1 GB network egress from North America to all region destinations per month (excluding China and Australia)"

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

willie said: Now there's a name I hadn't heard in a while. Wonder what will happen with it regarding cpanel. It's not a vps though.

Last survivor of that era? Even FreeWebHostingTalk.com is dead, and was a zombie for years prior. I miss the early days of the web, when there were some genuine free web hosting companies out there, making money off ads, etc. Today that business model is dead.

Trivia: Our very own @KuJoe wrote a book once on how to run a free web hosting company :-)

• 479555479555 Member

@willie said:
    Ah well. There is always afreecloud.com.

The owner seems like a great guy.

I tried InfinityFree.net for a few days, but it was not enough to be able to recommend or advise against it. I'll add it to the list for posterity, nonetheless.

• I do a lot of RClone Drive to Drive and Dropbox to Drive transfers. Since incoming bandwidth is free and outgoing is free to Google Drive, they make really good RClone transfer machines for this purpose!

Thanked by 2479555 xms
  • It was actually one of the first options I looked at, but I ran into problems before learning that socket support in their App Engine is limited to paid tiers only.

• relmrelm Member

I run ZNC and The Lounge IRC client on mine, have had no issues.

For hosting websites, you can configure Cloudflare to fully cache your site so it absorbs most of the bandwidth usage and set a long expiry. Obviously if your site is very dynamic that won't work well, but just an option.

• nepsneps Member

willie said: wouldn't want to get pulled into the icky GCP world just for the sake of yet another small VPS, with a joke of a traffic limit even. AWS has something similar with the same story.

This is why. There was a time when I stupidly used Compute Engine (is that still what's it's called?) a lot. It's really expensive and but not really worth it tbh, when there are so many better alternatives.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2019

The other risk is leaving some feature accidentally turned on, and get hit with a big Bill. Happened with me with a 'free' AWS account: I paid up, closed the account, end of story. For the sum, a deal of LET would have worked more fruitful...

I may look at the DO credits that I have but for production sites, "free" tiers are a no go.

Have a close friend who runs his business off free tier sites, good for him!

• @vyas11 said:
    Have a close friend who runs his business off free tier sites, good for him!

Cloud Baniya badge unlocked.

NB:
    For those who are unfamiliar with India, in our pop culture, the Baniya community is known for their prowess in commerce. (and made fun of by others, for not wasting a single rupee on flashy bullshit, like the general public does)

Basically, every country has their version of 'ze jews', that the rest of the population likes to make fun of,but secretly envy.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2019

He's from down south but could very well have been a baniya. He even asked for (and got) extension from Google on the free tier...twice.
    This year they said no.
    Year one : building blocks and testing
    Year two : MVP
    Year three: monetize

Server and lms/CMS/db cost =zero
    (if we exclude time)

That takes a special kind of baniya.

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
  • xaocxaoc Member

@vyas11 said:
    The other risk is leaving some feature accidentally turned on, and get hit with a big Bill. Happened with me with a 'free' AWS account: I paid up, closed the account, end of story. For the sum, a deal of LET would have worked more fruitful...

This is not amazon lol...

• So now that Google will start charging for external IPs what will happen? Does anyone know if they are going to add a free IP address in the Always Free Tier or something?

Any other way to use the Always "Free" Tier without paying 3 bucks a month if they don't?

• @479555 said:
    So now that Google will start charging for external IPs what will happen? Does anyone know if they are going to add a free IP address in the Always Free Tier or something?

Any other way to use the Always "Free" Tier without paying 3 bucks a month if they don't?

why dont you ask how to travel to Moon in year 4040?

smh.... nobody knows how and what yet.

• This is what happens when you break the rules of Fight Club.

• OujiOuji Member

479555 said: So now that Google will start charging for external IPs what will happen? Does anyone know if they are going to add a free IP address in the Always Free Tier or something?

Will they add a free ip? Nobody knows, we'll only find out in January, but most likely no.

No other way to use f1 micro vm with ou paying until we get more news.

• xaocxaoc Member

The gods made it so that my card expired on 07 so my VM is about to get removed anyways. Apparently, if your card expires, your services get suspended and you have 30 days to add a new card before they remove everything. Guess who's not adding his new card... xD

• OujiOuji Member

Well, I'm still gonna use mine up until April 01. My card has less than $1 limit, so if I forget I won't be billed.

xaoc said: The gods made it so that my card expired on 07 so my VM is about to get removed anyways.

Thanked by 2ITLabs xaoc
  • There is gonna be a discounted 3 month window. After that the full pricing kicks in.

Don't think free IP is happening.

So yeah plan on moving your sht cause 35 usd a year for an ip isn't cool.

• OujiOuji Member

Yeah, probably not gonna happen. Otherwise they wouldn't introduce this.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@479555 said:

@FR_Michael said:
    There is nothing like free in Business. You either pay money or you pay with data

That might be a valid point if you want to use it strictly as a VPS, but in my case I'm hosting a website so all the data is already public.

But anyway you could argue that for any provider. How can I know that I'm not already paying with data even with the paid providers?

Ok so you mean hosting website will share your personal data?

Also hosting providers not works like that.. most of reputable host have their privacy policy. You should check that page before join.
    If they share your info you can drag them into court..

• @creep said:

@479555 said:
    So now that Google will start charging for external IPs what will happen? Does anyone know if they are going to add a free IP address in the Always Free Tier or something?

why dont you ask how to travel to Moon in year 4040?

smh.... nobody knows how and what yet.

How can I know that nobody knows before asking? Besides, I was hoping for "informed opinions"...

479555 said: How can I know that nobody knows before asking? Besides, I was hoping for "informed opinions"...

Here's one:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/159811/google-cloud-platform-will-charge-for-external-ip-on-their-vms

Thanked by 3Ouji ITLabs 479555