Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't people use Google Cloud's "Always Free Tier" as a small VPS? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why don't people use Google Cloud's "Always Free Tier" as a small VPS?

Comments

• @raindog308 said:
    And of course, freevps.us, which has been around for years.

I guess freevps.us has already been shut down and it is now in read-only/archive mode.

https://freevps.us/thread-22094.html

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • defaultdefault Veteran

That 1GB bandwidth is for both in and out, or is only for out?

• 479555479555 Member

@default said:

Out: inbound traffic is not billed.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@479555 said:

@default said:

Awesome. So it can actually be used for something. I am thinking of using one for 1Fichier, to download all content in /dev/null and keep all terabytes in hot storage. Can anybody share a benchmark or bandwidth speed (with no outbound) ?

Thanked by 2uptime sayem314
  • It's a solid offering. Despite what the paranoids may say, Google is way more trustworthy with data privacy than whatever discount $3 vps services you can get from sketchy businesses based out of China or Singapore.

The free tier limits are very generous on just about any GCP product. Compute engine is actually probably the least generous free tier limit out of everything - it's capped pretty low because it's the most easily misused service on there.

If you follow basic security common sense best practices for anything publically accessible to the internet, you'll be fine. Those are basically:

1. Use your fucking firewall

2. Never use Windows in a production environment

3. Keep your shit updated

4. Don't upload your credential files or API keys to fucking GitHub

5. Don't expose web admin consoles to 0.0.0.0/0 (see point 1)

6. Don't do anything monumentally stupid, which usually involves some special combination of the above rules (like enabling password login for SSH with port 22 set to "please pwn me" in the firewall, user "admin", and password "1234")

You would be surprised how many people have trouble following these rules. If you wanna go for extra credit, it's worth going the extra mile and running nmap -Pn --script vuln [server IP/URL] occasionally to scan for obvious security holes.

The infrastructure is simple, elegant, and designed by engineers instead of business commitees. As a result the system does not require large amounts of duct tape Terraform scripts to avoid falling apart. I think some people mistake this for vendor lock in or something.

OP, you should also look into serving static sites directly out of buckets - you don't actually need an instance at all for that. Also, WordPress is terrible, and if static will meet your needs you should take a look at Hugo.

Fair disclaimer, I work for a consulting company that uses GCP heavily, and am fairly biased on this topic.

Thanked by 2479555 Ouji
  • 479555479555 Member
    edited July 2019

@default said:

@479555 said:

@default said:

Awesome. So it can actually be used for something. I am thinking of using one for 1Fichier, to download all content in /dev/null and keep all terabytes in hot storage. Can anybody share a benchmark or bandwidth speed (with no outbound) ?

I tried twice with geekbench but it never finished. This is what I got with serverscope.io

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU @ 2.00GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 2000.186 MHz
    Total size of Disk : 29.5 GB (4.6 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem : 581 MB (176 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 0 MB (0 MB Used)
    System uptime : 1 days, 1 hour 59 min Load average : 1.67, 0.51, 0.18
    Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)

Kernel : 4.15.0-1036-gcp

I/O speed(1st run) : 37.4 MB/s I/O speed(2nd run) : 37.5 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run) : 37.5 MB/s

Average I/O speed : 37.5 MB/s

Node Name IPv4 address Download Speed
    CacheFly 205.234.175.175 124MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP 106.187.96.148 10.5MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG 139.162.23.4 2.51MB/s
    Linode, London, UK 176.58.107.39 15.6MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE 139.162.130.8 17.6MB/s
    Linode, Fremont, CA 50.116.14.9 21.0MB/s
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX 173.192.68.18 31.3MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA 67.228.112.250 15.5MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE 159.122.69.4 6.11MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG 119.81.28.170 4.83MB/s

Softlayer, HongKong, CN 119.81.130.170 5.45MB/s

Thanked by 1default
  • 479555479555 Member
    edited July 2019

@KallistiTMP said:
    OP, you should also look into serving static sites directly out of buckets - you don't actually need an instance at all for that. Also, WordPress is terrible, and if static will meet your needs you should take a look at Hugo.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. I just wanted something simple, I figured there were probably better ways, there are always better ways :)

What are the advantages of using buckets and Hugo btw?

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@KallistiTMP said:
    It's a solid offering. Despite what the paranoids may say, Google is way more trustworthy with data privacy than whatever discount $3 vps services you can get from sketchy businesses based out of China or Singapore.

GCP is the top tier of providers.

Tour of a google data center:

The free tier limits are very generous on just about any GCP product. Compute engine is actually probably the least generous free tier limit out of everything - it's capped pretty low because it's the most easily misused service on there.

There do offer a lot of free services:
    https://cloud.google.com/free/

I still haven't figured out what some of them actually do.

Fair disclaimer, I work for a consulting company that uses GCP heavily, and am fairly biased on this topic.

Doing anything with Anthos yet ?

• bapbap Member
    edited July 2019

using it for almost two years too, scheduled job, mostly backup script, not for public services.

tips: no charge for bandwidth across google infrastructure. iykwim :wink:

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

try4lontalk said: I guess freevps.us has already been shut down and it is now in read-only/archive mode.

Wow, you can tell how often I visit there :-)

Too bad, though I guess it's not surprising that a forum full of people seeking free VPSes would be a pain in the ass to manage. Probably even worse than a forum full of people seeking cheap VPSes.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2019

default said: to download all content in /dev/null and keep all terabytes

Keep in mind that downloading always incurs some upload traffic, basically for receipt confirmations, or as they are called, "ACKs". Running iperf on my LAN to a different host, for 950 Mbit download I get 3.5 Mbits of upload. That's 0.3%, which means you will exhaust the 1GB of the included upload bandwidth after downloading just about 330 GB -- far from "terabytes".

• noumannouman Member
    edited July 2019

apnadata.com are shit spammers.

• xaocxaoc Member

@raindog308 said:
    And of course, freevps.us, which has been around for years.

@raindog308 said:

try4lontalk said: I guess freevps.us has already been shut down and it is now in read-only/archive mode.

Wow, you can tell how often I visit there :-)

Too bad, though I guess it's not surprising that a forum full of people seeking free VPSes would be a pain in the ass to manage. Probably even worse than a forum full of people seeking cheap VPSes.

It was funding related. No ad revenue and not enough sponsors.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

xaoc said: It was funding related. No ad revenue and not enough sponsors.

Reading through that thread, there was a high degree of hassle - MyBB updates, forum spam, etc.

The whole thing had to run on razor-thin margins, and I admire @dmmcintyre3 for making it work for so long.

• xaocxaoc Member

@raindog308 said:

xaoc said: It was funding related. No ad revenue and not enough sponsors.

The whole thing had to run on razor-thin margins, and I admire @dmmcintyre3 for making it work for so long.

Yea i think he funded the VMs out of his pocket for a while at the end.

• you can also get free google firebase if you just want to host a website

Thanked by 1479555
  • This is so simple the free Google cloud vm isn't meant for hosting but for back end operations of other gcp products beside the free 300 dollars credit.

• 479555479555 Member

@TinFoil2019 said:
    you can also get free google firebase if you just want to host a website

Interesting, can you point me to a guide?

• @479555 the pricing page shows the features- probably a good starting point https://firebase.google.com/pricing

Thanked by 1479555
  • creepcreep Member
    edited July 2019

@creep said:
    wonder if 1GB bandwidth a month is enough to handle one user ZNC. I mean it's free, always.

Yes.

Edit: 2 users and 30-40 irc channels on each.
    The reason it works is that inbound traffic is not counted.

Interesting. Even if the IRC Server is outside USA?

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2019

@479555 said:

@KallistiTMP said:

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. I just wanted something simple, I figured there were probably better ways, there are always better ways :)

What are the advantages of using buckets and Hugo btw?

+1
    Also been using a wip blog w/gcp and ghost for a few months now. Nothing to complain about

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@KallistiTMP said:
    It's a solid offering. Despite what the paranoids may say, Google is way more trustworthy with data privacy than whatever discount $3 vps services you can get from sketchy businesses based out of China or Singapore.

• How about comparing Google to "sketchy Alibaba" services?
    • Most offers here at LET are from european or american providers and not from China or Singapore.
    • How does "China is a brutal oppressive police state" go together with "chinesen providers are sketchy"?
    • You are plain wrong, at least in many cases. Reason: one can sue a bad provider, no matter where, except if that provider happens to be a multi-billion $ corporation with bus loads of lawyers.

The free tier limits are very generous on just about any GCP product.

I understand that you are a fan of Google, but please stop spreading BS. There is NOTHING free with Google (and facebook, and ...)! You always pay! And frankly, I prefer paying with money rather than with my data, privacy, and liberty.

And btw, in most (I guess) jurisdictions using a free service also means to not have rights to demand anything (like e.g. quality). If on the other hand one pays, even if it's only a small amount, on does have those rights.

If you follow basic security common sense best practices for anything publically accessible to the internet, you'll be fine. Those are basically:

1. Use your fucking firewall

If one is capable to do that sensibly. If one isn't, one might actually create one of the really dangerous monsters in terms of security: to feel secure but to not be secure.

1. Never use Windows in a production environment

Personally, I agree. But I fail to see why a poor Windows setup is less secure than a poor linux setup.

... [some obvious tips] ...

You would be surprised how many people have trouble following these rules.

Not at all. Actually I'm surprised to see someone having a reasonably well configured system.

Thanks (I mean it) for being honest.

• xaocxaoc Member

@creep said:

@creep said:
    wonder if 1GB bandwidth a month is enough to handle one user ZNC. I mean it's free, always.

Yes.

Edit: 2 users and 30-40 irc channels on each.
    The reason it works is that inbound traffic is not counted.

Interesting. Even if the IRC Server is outside USA?

1 GB network egress from North America to all region destinations per month (excluding China and Australia)

• onplusonplus Member

no credit card ? maybe

• defaultdefault Veteran

• defaultdefault Veteran

Thanked by 1479555
  • willKwillK Member

There are way too many usage restrictions in their docs. If I have to choose a free service I'd rather go with 000webhosting

• williewillie Member

000webhost[ing]

Now there's a name I hadn't heard in a while. Wonder what will happen with it regarding cpanel. It's not a vps though.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • 479555479555 Member

@willK said:
    There are way too many usage restrictions in their docs. If I have to choose a free service I'd rather go with 000webhosting

I used it before switching to GCP and it was painfully slow and they put banners on your site...

Really, Wordpress' admin console was so slow to be unusable!

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited July 2019

Your 3rd paragraph is one reason for me.

The feeling of purchasing a VPS for an entire year, at the price of a coffee is better than being given a free VPS. Hard to explain, but that's also another reason. Plus, I like to support the providers here.