Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't people use Google Cloud's "Always Free Tier" as a small VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why don't people use Google Cloud's "Always Free Tier" as a small VPS?

Comments

• My friend bought a .com domain from Go0gle for over US$15 by thinking that they will place him in No.1 position for search results.

He seriously thinks that they will give 'preference' to domains sold by them. I don't know how to make him good.

• Google free tier is for all those folks who don't know about LET.
    On LET you get cheaper vps + peace of mind + one-on-one support (with some providers).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

joepie91 said: You're getting $300 to give you enough time to build your project against their (non-standard) infrastructure,

I appreciate your point, but I'm wondering what standard infrastructure is?

If I want to go out and setup a farm of cloud servers, what infrastructure/APIs am I going to use to manage that independently of the cloud vendor? By cloud here I mean as it's typically used - VMs I can resize, plug into the usual software components (load balancers, firewalls, snapshots, etc.), spin up/down programmatically, etc. Sure, I can manage the software on the VMs themselves with any manner of automation or orchestration products (ansible, puppet, chef, salt, etc.) but not the cloudy bits.

Seems to me that whether it's AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, Vultr, DO, etc. I'm going to be writing against someone's proprietary APIs. But maybe I'm missing something - ?

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • 479555479555 Member

@rm_ said:

479555 said: It's just to have fun and learn, really.

It is not fun to get stuck for a year with a ticking bomb where you only get 1GB per month, and incur insane charges if you do something wrong and consume more. About the only thing to learn here is various tricks and workarounds to try avoiding the charges. And you can never be at peace because there's no way to 100% guarantee that. That's not fun either. With cheap NAT VPSes available for as low as $3-4/year, it's a no-brainer to go with those instead. As a bonus you can host your website in a simpler way and without relying on CloudFlare (which is a privacy nightmare of its own).

Yeah well GCP's free VPS is pretty limited, I agree, but it has its use cases.

Also, I don't think the risk is unreasonably high! Using Cloudflare to filter bad traffic and dropping all the traffic going directly to GCP's IP (except for some IPs) makes unexpected charges pretty unlikely (do correct me if I'm wrong!).

But even if someone, for some reason, decided to DDoS me I don't think the server would be able to stay online long enough to have relevant charges. Moreover 100 GB of bandwidth is about 10$.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@raindog308 said:

joepie91 said: You're getting $300 to give you enough time to build your project against their (non-standard) infrastructure,

If I want to go out and setup a farm of cloud servers, what infrastructure/APIs am I going to use to manage that independently of the cloud vendor? By cloud here I mean as it's typically used - VMs I can resize, plug into the usual software components (load balancers, firewalls, snapshots, etc.), spin up/down programmatically, etc. Sure, I can manage the software on the VMs themselves with any manner of automation or orchestration products (ansible, puppet, chef, salt, etc.) but not the cloudy bits.

Seems to me that whether it's AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, Vultr, DO, etc. I'm going to be writing against someone's proprietary APIs. But maybe I'm missing something - ?

You can always go with open source solutions that enable the provision of infrastructure resources as a service, such as OpenNebula and OpenStack.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • creepcreep Member

wonder if 1GB bandwidth a month is enough to handle one user ZNC. I mean it's free, always.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2019

479555 said: Using Cloudflare to filter bad traffic and dropping all the traffic going directly to GCP's IP (except for some IPs) makes unexpected charges pretty unlikely (do correct me if I'm wrong!).

Doesn't Cloudflare free tier withdraw itself and expose your site directly, as soon as you get DDoS? They were known to do so in the past.

479555 said: dropping all the traffic going directly to GCP's IP

Where do you drop it? If on the server itself, with iptables, then it already reached your server and was billed.

• OujiOuji Member

@rm_ said:

479555 said: Using Cloudflare to filter bad traffic and dropping all the traffic going directly to GCP's IP (except for some IPs) makes unexpected charges pretty unlikely (do correct me if I'm wrong!).

Doesn't Cloudflare free tier withdraw itself and expose your site directly, as soon as you get DDoS? They were known to do so in the past.

Where do you drop it? If on the server itself, with iptables, then it already reached your server and was billed.

He probably drops it on the Google firewall, so it does not reach his server.

Thanked by 1479555
  • 479555479555 Member

@rm_ said:

Well I sure hope they don't 😅

But thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it.

• 479555479555 Member

@Ouji said:

@rm_ said:

He probably drops it on the Google firewall, so it does not reach his server.

Yes, exactly.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@rm_ said:

Google Cloud Platform has a network firewall that sits in front of the deployed servers.

https://cloud.google.com/vpc/docs/firewalls

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • xaocxaoc Member
    edited July 2019

@creep said:
    wonder if 1GB bandwidth a month is enough to handle one user ZNC. I mean it's free, always.

Yes.

Edit: 2 users and 30-40 irc channels on each.
    The reason it works is that inbound traffic is not counted.

@donli I said nothing of the sort. That was @rm_

• donlidonli Member

@raindog308 said:

@donli I said nothing of the sort. That was @rm_

Oops, editing error, fixed.

• I use it to sync data across multiple Google Drive accounts using rclone. Google to Google bandwidth is free and usually I get 30-40 MB/s sustained.

Alternatively you can use rclone's server side copy but it's more of a hassle having to log in and sharing the folder.

Thanked by 3479555 vimalware dahoy
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:

Yes and no.

On the API point specifically, if SolusVM were to add an actually-useful client API, that would basically become a de-facto standard overnight, and there'd be no point in SolusVM-based providers giving out free credit because people can move to a different provider easily without having to change their tools.

But SolusVM hasn't, and so there's only a handful of providers with any kind of usable API at all, and they are all custom systems and vendor-specific APIs.

However, more broadly, these cloudycloud providers often offer not just VMs, but a lot of add-on services that a) are using a proprietary API again, and b) would normally just be hosted on the server itself as a piece of software. In many cases, the VMs offered by said providers actually perform pretty poorly, because you're expected to off-load all the heavy work to their own proprietary APIs.

Which means that, from a perspective of "I have a thing I need to deploy with such-and-such features", cloudycloud providers offer proprietary vendor-specific APIs, whereas your regular old VPS provider provides a standard Linux environment that - generally - performs well enough to do everything you want.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @FR_Michael said:
    There is nothing like free in Business. You either pay money or you pay with data

Paying with money doesn't always mean you're not used as data source as well.

Just like "free" can often be based on up-sales, extra offers etc, so it doesn't always, necessarily mean you're paying with data. Depends on the company (ethics) and business model.

Thanked by 3479555 emgh Akaike
  • xaocxaoc Member

@CyberneticTitan said:
    Google to Google bandwidth is free and usually I get 30-40 MB/s sustained.

I was thinking that could be the case but i never got around to testing it, thanks for confirming it. You could probably use that shell thingy they have for this as well.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

479555 said: Why don't people use this?

I could imagine spinning one up if I were already using GCP for some other reason, but wouldn't want to get pulled into the icky GCP world just for the sake of yet another small VPS, with a joke of a traffic limit even. AWS has something similar with the same story. There are plenty of super cheap VPS on LET (and a few free ones) that don't require turning over a CC# so I'd go with those.

I'm also very impressed with LET shared hosting products that I've mostly ignored up til now. BuyVM's $5/y (soon to be $8/y unless they make a DA version) has its own IPv4 address and is great. @Virmach and @Cam have $3/year plans that also have tons of features (currently cpanel but presumably that may change) that are on shared addresses. Virmach had a promo where they gave them for free to VPS customers and I currently have one of those. There is also @KuJoe's afreecloud.com though the free level has activity requirements.

Thanked by 2default neps

And of course, freevps.us, which has been around for years.

willie said: There is also @KuJoe's afreecloud.com though the free level has activity requirements.

It does? I didn't see any. I know he's not taking new customers atm until cPanel pricing changes are sorted, but that aside, I didn't see anything on the site about activity, but maybe @KuJoe can confirm.

https://afreecloud.com/index.php?p=faq

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:

They did in the past, but 2 years ago they made a big announcement that all plans including free tiers now have full mitigation (which means not dropping protection to expose your IP). https://blog.cloudflare.com/unmetered-mitigation/

However, there's no SLA on the free protection - so I assume if you get smacked with some world shattering DDoS attack that stresses their infrastructure you'll probably end up with null DNS records or something.

Thanked by 2rm_ vimalware

@raindog308 said:

willie said: There is also @KuJoe's afreecloud.com though the free level has activity requirements.

It does? I didn't see any. I know he's not taking new customers atm until cPanel pricing changes are sorted, but that aside, I didn't see anything on the site about activity, but maybe @KuJoe can confirm.

https://afreecloud.com/index.php?p=faq

There's an activity requirement, or there was. Your account gets suspended if it's idling, needs some activity on sites/email/etc to keep it alive.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@479555 said:
    ... I can't really understand what's the disadvantage of using the "Always Free Tier" of Google Cloud Platform.

(a) "Google", and (b) see @FR_Michael 's post.

• williewillie Member

raindog308 said: I didn't see anything on the site about activity

See here:

https://afreecloud.com/forums/thread-75.html

My free site was cancelled a few times because of that, so I went to the paid plan, which worked ok for a while. But it eventually expired without sending any notifications so I didn't even notice til recently that it was down :(. I guess I'll renew when it returns and I'm thankful to KuJoe for running it, but it is understandably a low effort project for him.

Thanked by 1raindog308

On topic: The GCP free tier is great. If you want a cheap solution to running a blog: host a private WP install on Google Cloud then use the WP2Static plugin to dump it as a static site, then upload that zip file of the site to Netlify.

Free build server + Free 100GB storage/100GB bandwidth on Netlify's CDN. Custom domains, SSL, etc are supported.

You can have it built to a specific folder which you push to github - and then netlify will watch that repo and update the site whenever it sees changes.

Thanked by 3479555 emgh coreflux
  • NnyanNnyan Member

I've been running my Unifi Controller on GCP free for years now. Never had any issues (security or billing wise). Easy to lock down, get alerts (for those with billing concerns). And it just works. I've had more issues with cheapo providers then I've had with GCP. Now and then I install the controller on a cheap vps (controller is ram limited in GCP) but most don't cut it.

Thanked by 1479555
  • I already use Google App Engine, so my credit card is already registered with Google. I use Google's free vps for a couple of years now. I use it to run some (very frequent) scheduled tasks (PHP) in order to lower GAE's costs. I also use it as my CDN's origin for map distribution. No issues or surprises here, it just works as expected.

Thanked by 1479555
  • ecatel is $3 per month. unlimited dedicated 100Mbps, dedicated 1 core cpu and 1g ram. with real hardware ddos protection.

• 479555479555 Member

@sangdogg said:
    ecatel is $3 per month. unlimited dedicated 100Mbps, dedicated 1 core cpu and 1g ram. with real hardware ddos protection.

http://ecatel.co.uk/choose.php

Such a valid reason 😂

(Not found on this server)