Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if DirectAdmin decides to increase price - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What if DirectAdmin decides to increase price

13»

Comments

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

jcaleb said: I believe it is hard to retrain customers to use another panel. And so... providers users unwilling to use another panel have to suck it up

FTFY. Providers here on LET are leaving cpanel in droves.

• donlidonli Member

@jcaleb said:

I believe it is hard to retrain customers to use another panel. And so... providers have to suck it up

If the replacement panel lets them use a file browser, editor and email program that looks the same most users will be fine.

• Price increase is the concern ? .. Logic = How about Oakley buying DA once it gets more traction/market share? Directly or indirectly, deep pockets. Anti-Monopoly laws ? yeah right, google, FB, MS .. etc.

As @Lee put it, prepare for when, it's coming .

• williewillie Member

donli said: If the replacement panel lets them use a file browser, editor and email program that looks the same most users will be fine.

Yeah I don't know if I'm "most users" but I had no idea how much stuff was in cpanel til I started looking into it due to the price increase. I've used cpanel and the much more primitive VestaCP and really haven't cared about the difference. But, I'm also realizing I underestimated the flexibility and convenience of cheap shared hosting. I've only used it in the simplest ways, for low traffic static files. The amount of stuff you can click-to-run in a $3/y or $5/y shared plan is amazing.

Softaculous is responsible for a lot of that though. That seems like another target for reimplementation.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

donli said: If the replacement panel lets them use a file browser, editor and email program that looks the same most users will be fine.

But you may get tons of tickets asking how to do this, or how to do that... let alone complaints on having a different UI

• level6level6 Member

@jcaleb said:

MechanicWeb said: Have to agree. When you are a service provider, you have to provide what your clients ask for. For now, it is cPanel.

I believe it is hard to retrain customers to use another panel. And so... providers have to suck it up

I think many customers don't care, and the name recognition isn't strong. And most don't check out LET, hostballs, etc. All they need are how to guides with lots of screenshots.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

To be honest, once you have uploaded your site, setup your email, you have no reason to use a panel anymore. Unless you need to restore or add another email or change some PHP options.,,,

Thanked by 1Lee