Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if DirectAdmin decides to increase price - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What if DirectAdmin decides to increase price

Comments

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

This is LET, so I thought the implication was that anyone who doesn't like witch hunts or conspiracy theories is in the wrong place.

Thanked by 3Lee ITLabs level6
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Archived this thread http://archive.is/4HSvv so that in years to come IF DA gets bought by some investors and they try to doom us with price increase (not the fault of current DA team but rather their investors) then we all can have a good laugh about all this.

• LeeLee Veteran

willie said: This is LET

Thanked by 4ITLabs emgh kkrajk mikho
  • donlidonli Member

@mansoor said:
    So we are all trying to jump to DirectAdmin because cPanel decided to bump up its price to ridiculous amounts. What if we were all to go through the pain of migrating to DirectAdmin and DirectAdmin decided to do the same as cPanel a year or two from now.

Has anyone read their terms and conditions or know what has DirectAdmin stated that will protect hosting provides for such price gouging actions?

Ultimately the only thing to protect you from such a situation is to adopt a free & open source panel solution.

• @Lee said:

DA_Mark said: I already mentioned my hatred for witch-hunts and conspiracy theories.

Why are you even here...

For his daily dose of drama.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • Your question is like asking why we keep buying gasoline powered cars? OPEC could suddenly increase prices and make using it unfeasible. Then I guess we should all stop driving?

Change is a normal part of life. Cpanel has had a very very long run. The LET community and providers have been at the forefront of testing and developing cheaper or cost effective hosting solutions for years.

With that said there are more panels out there if DA wrecks us in 10 years then we'll all just jump ship again.

Thanked by 2DA_Mark vimalware
  • @DA_Mark said:
    The only price change we've had since 2003 is the recent removal of our lifetime licenses.

Active subscriptions are considered locked-in, meaning no surprises. If prices go up in the future, then it applies to new orders only.

No, we are not saints -- but we try to be fair and reasonable. We are customer-driven; if double the development is requested (demanded) by customers, then of course expect a price increase. We'll probably need extra staff. If we can continue development with our current resources, and everybody is happy, then expect things to say the same.

Yeah, good luck with that when direct admin is bought by some money driven company. cpanel developer doesn't have a say.

• @donli said:

@mansoor said:
    So we are all trying to jump to DirectAdmin because cPanel decided to bump up its price to ridiculous amounts. What if we were all to go through the pain of migrating to DirectAdmin and DirectAdmin decided to do the same as cPanel a year or two from now.

Has anyone read their terms and conditions or know what has DirectAdmin stated that will protect hosting provides for such price gouging actions?

Ultimately the only thing to protect you from such a situation is to adopt a free & open source panel solution.

This is the only real solution. If a company decided to go fuck up an open source project, the community will just fork it.

• Thanked by 1jh
  • @sureiam said:
    Your question is like asking why we keep buying gasoline powered cars? OPEC could suddenly increase prices and make using it unfeasible. Then I guess we should all stop driving?

Change is a normal part of life. Cpanel has had a very very long run. The LET community and providers have been at the forefront of testing and developing cheaper or cost effective hosting solutions for years.

With that said there are more panels out there if DA wrecks us in 10 years then we'll all just jump ship again.

You read the question wrong.

The question is, should we be buying gasoline powered cars when we know we can be held hostage by OPEC. Should we not consider alternates (open source control panel) when they are available. They might not be up to par but than neither is Direct Admin. If we are all going to put our heads and resources to bring Direct Admin up to par then why not do that for an open source system so that in the end the hosting industry cannot be held hostage.

Direct Admin might have the best of intentions today but tomorrow if the cpanel group offered the millions to take out the competition and then they raised prices on us, we would be back in the same pickle.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2019

mansoor said: we would be back in the same pickle.

But isn't that what it's all about? History repeating? People will always make the same mistakes, just a tad worse than last time.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Worse than last time in my experience. The SJW and getting WOKE stuff are the prime examples of making the same mistakes but worse.

Which is why I keep saying the end is nigh.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member

deank said: Worse than last time in my experience

That was a typo. Edited it...

Thanked by 1deank
  • @mansoor said:

@sureiam said:
    Your question is like asking why we keep buying gasoline powered cars? OPEC could suddenly increase prices and make using it unfeasible. Then I guess we should all stop driving?

You read the question wrong.

The question is, should we be buying gasoline powered cars when we know we can be held hostage by OPEC. Should we not consider alternates (open source control panel) when they are available. They might not be up to par but than neither is Direct Admin. If we are all going to put our heads and resources to bring Direct Admin up to par then why not do that for an open source system so that in the end the hosting industry cannot be held hostage.

Direct Admin might have the best of intentions today but tomorrow if the cpanel group offered the millions to take out the competition and then they raised prices on us, we would be back in the same pickle.

Fare enough, although sometimes open source solutions aren't properly updated and maintained. With that said many also do well with the support model (like apache or NGINX).

• Open source on LET means give me a free panel and I'll bitch about it but never support it but I still will say gimme gimme gimme because the greedy cPanel. Even though greedily using a panel without supporting it (trust me 99% of you won't volunteer) is no different than cPanel greedily taking your money. People want to accumulate and not participate.

• donlidonli Member

@sureiam said:

Fare enough, although sometimes open source solutions aren't properly updated and maintained. With that said many also do well with the support model (like apache or NGINX).

Some open source solutions do get great industry support:

Epic Games supports Blender Foundation with $1.2 million Epic MegaGrant
    https://www.blender.org/press/epic-games-supports-blender-foundation-with-1-2-million-epic-megagrant/

• Investment funds will be owning most of the commercial stuff. One way, or another.
    Open source is the only thing that has a chance of being affordable - if it gets developed and maintained. If not - small ones will be screwed.

• Letsencrypt is one that is community powered and has sponsors. If only an open source panel would be the same? Perhaps if several big hosting players come together...but why would they do that if they can just create their own custom panel for their own use?

• any organization has right to decide (and increase) to whatever price they like.

either you pay it or move to alternatives or opensource.

what if .com domains (verisign & your registrar) started charging $100/yr for domain renewal? You'll move to another TLD/ccTLD. What if ALL those registries started charging $100/yr. - you'll have to pay them no matter what, as there's no other alternative. Similarly...

• timelapsetimelapse Member
    edited July 2019

True that's why there should be alternatives and no monopolies. Unless you have something like OPEC then it's helpless

• LeeLee Veteran

Where it all goes wrong for most here is that the focus is always on what will we do if the alternative panel provider increases their price.

The focus should be, am I prepared for when that happens? Not hoping it does not.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin lazyt
  • @Sofia_K said:
    any organization has right to decide (and increase) to whatever price they like.

either you pay it or move to alternatives or opensource.

what if .com domains (verisign & your registrar) started charging $100/yr for domain renewal? You'll move to another TLD/ccTLD. What if ALL those registries started charging $100/yr. - you'll have to pay them no matter what, as there's no other alternative. Similarly...

That is why there are rules around monopoly, price gouging, anti dumping, etc.

You cannot keep you prices low to kill all competition and then raise it to outrageous levels when you are the only viable option left. That is against the law.

Veriign does not decide the price for .com TLDs. Its is ICANN a non-profit organization.

• @Francisco said:

Lee said: Yeah, no,

This is the most popular Canadian saying, you don't even know.

Francisco

I like Canadians. They are gentlemans n act, response, deploy like GENTLEMAN. NO DOUBT AT ALL.

• @timelapse said:
    True that's why there should be alternatives and no monopolies. Unless you have something like OPEC then it's helpless

Only open source - since all is directed and going towards large conglomerates owning everything. You get what they give you, at prices they set, or (try to) make your own.

• On WebHostingTalk, I see companies posting gigs for Freelance developers who can build them a script that will do a full inplace replacement for cpanel server with an alternate control panel such has DirectAdmin or Vesta.

If we all started buying coffee and bigger companies provided some sponsorship fund to vesta panel or some other open source project, we could end up with a viable alternate to cpanel and not have to worry about being back in this predicament again.

I am Canadian, but Money is the biggest evil of all. I fear that if everyone hops on Directadmin band wagon and their product improves due to the revenue they generate, cpanel might try to acquire them just to kill the competition and we will all be back to square one.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin level6
  • LeeLee Veteran

The thing is, the demise of cPanel is grossly over-exaggerated. Providers will get over this, cPanel will remain as the control panel of choice for all but the bottom feeders who will move to DA or something else.

DA will grow, chances are the 'spurt' of initial interest has already piqued and the gains through organic growth as a result of improving the panel will keep sales coming.

I guarantee you, in 6 months DA will just be that 'other panel' that was not quite there so 'we had to stay with Cpanel and pay the price, customers wanted it'. Then there is a mix of other non-provider people who it's good enough for and others like me who go down the yet another brand route to see if DA gets any traction.

There isn't going to be an open-source collaboration. The biggest of the providers who could contribute and the smaller ones with the time and skill will develop their own as a USP.

WHT, as I have said before, those providers will be shitting it because so many lack the skill to manage anything but cPanel, they don't even manage it, they expect to mash buttons in WHM and that is it. So there is no way they will be moving away from it. They feel too safe and secure in WHM.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • cPanel is not a monopoly. Just because everyone is a hosting drone and used cPanel doesn't make it a monopoly. Many people demonstrated the ability to:
    1. Be happy with DA at a lower price than cPanel
    2. Moved from cPanel in a weekend or less.
    3. There are over a dozen panels available. No one is restricting your choices. When cPanel was cheap- you used it, now its not, you switch to something else.
    4. You arent prevented from using the comand line.
    5. Just because cpanel saves you time and is still cheap per the time it saves you- doesn't make it a monopoly.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

Lee said: I guarantee you, in 6 months DA will just be that 'other panel' that was not quite there so 'we had to stay with Cpanel and pay the price, customers wanted it'. Then there is a mix of other non-provider people who it's good enough for and others like me who go down the yet another brand route to see if DA gets any traction.

Have to agree. When you are a service provider, you have to provide what your clients ask for. For now, it is cPanel.

But there are other above the average clients who don't mind a different panel with only the features they need. Some of them will switch if they get a decent service.

For some price is a factor. Non-cPanel hosting is going to be cheaper. Some will prefer cheaper alternatives.

All of these will generate an increase in customers who are used to with alternative panels, so the demand will rise, too. If the demand rises to an acceptable level, some providers will switch to alternative panels to cust cost. So, interesting times ahead.

• williewillie Member

MechanicWeb said: For some price is a factor. Non-cPanel hosting is going to be cheaper. Some will prefer cheaper alternatives.

Here on LET it is extremely significant. There are several competing plans in the $3/year or even freebie range ("freebie" e.g. Virmach's "buy a paid VPS and get a shared hosting instance for $0 extra", not an outright giveaway). Sending $1.20 per plan to cpanel makes those unsustainable.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

MechanicWeb said: Have to agree. When you are a service provider, you have to provide what your clients ask for. For now, it is cPanel.

I believe it is hard to retrain customers to use another panel. And so... providers have to suck it up