Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if DirectAdmin decides to increase price
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What if DirectAdmin decides to increase price

So we are all trying to jump to DirectAdmin because cPanel decided to bump up its price to ridiculous amounts. What if we were all to go through the pain of migrating to DirectAdmin and DirectAdmin decided to do the same as cPanel a year or two from now.

Has anyone read their terms and conditions or know what has DirectAdmin stated that will protect hosting provides for such price gouging actions?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2019

Oh, DA will increase their price. That's not a matter of if but when and by how much.

If you think the guys behind DA are saviors, think again. They are no saint. No humans is a saint.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
  • DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

The only price change we've had since 2003 is the recent removal of our lifetime licenses.

Active subscriptions are considered locked-in, meaning no surprises. If prices go up in the future, then it applies to new orders only.

No, we are not saints -- but we try to be fair and reasonable. We are customer-driven; if double the development is requested (demanded) by customers, then of course expect a price increase. We'll probably need extra staff. If we can continue development with our current resources, and everybody is happy, then expect things to say the same.

@Francisco said:
    Hello there.

Francisco

Hello, there, robot Fran.

• @Francisco said:

deank said: No humans is a saint.

Hello there.

Francisco

Still waiting to see these so-called new extras with your BuyVM line, to decide if you are a saint or not. :wink:

• LeeLee Veteran

DA_Mark said: Still waiting to see these so-called new extras with your BuyVM line, to decide if you are a saint or not.

Whatever they are, probably stolen. He has previous.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark

I believe the guys behind DA are in Canada.

If so, I find it hard to believe that you can make a living based on 2003 price. Prices of basic necessarily in Canada have gone up by at least 50% in two years in Ontario at the least.

Of course, gaining more clients helps but more clients mean the need for more support slaves.

• LeeLee Veteran

You will have the same guarantee from DA that you get from cPanel about pricing. Yeah, no, maybe.

The issue is nobody learns from this event. All people want to know is whether they will get a $1 unlimited reseller from DA and it won't go up to $2 next year. Yeah, no, maybe.

Lee said: Yeah, no,

This is the most popular Canadian saying, you don't even know.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Francisco

Surely you can't be serious.

• lazytlazyt Member

Sadly he probably is, Eh

@DA_Mark said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Start counting how many times you hear/use it over the weekend.

Francisco

• Quite a lot of us would be happy and handle price increases if it didnt go to a per account structure, or if there was an unlimited option...

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

@Francisco said:

@DA_Mark said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Start counting how many times you hear/use it over the weekend.

Francisco

Yeah.. no. You missed the joke but it's a corny one from a 1980 movie, so I didn't expect anyone to get it. But it's a Canadian actor who made the joke. In fact, he grew up in the same place I live.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

I am serious, and don't call me surely.

Edit:
    It's from airplane if I remember rightly

Edit2: Typo

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • emghemgh Member

@DA_Mark said:
    We plan to keep costs low by contracting out support to MzunguHosting. Support is fast, my man.

Now your just flexing knowledge or LET memes you php selektor

• Close enough, It's been years since I saw it ;-)

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • @emgh said:

@DA_Mark said:
    We plan to keep costs low by contracting out support to MzunguHosting. Support is fast, my man.

LET meme selektor :trollface:

• emghemgh Member

@DA_Mark said:

@emgh said:

@DA_Mark said:

cpanel should just introduce price selektor and everyone would be happy

Thanked by 2DA_Mark jetchirag
  • DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

In all seriousness though, I already mentioned my hatred for witch-hunts and conspiracy theories. But I have to balance this with the realization that the cPanel price announcement has (justifiably) left everyone a bit nervous. So I will repeat the same thing I already said. Just two points:

1) We consider live subscriptions/licenses to be a locked-in price. This takes care of the worry that you will wake up one day and be held hostage with a huge price increase.

2) If/when we raise the price for new licenses/orders, you can always vote with your wallet. You need to personally decide if the DA product has developed enough to justify the price, or if it's just a money grab.

I can't be any more fair and reasonable than this. Forget 1 or 2 years in the future. Go to any store today, buy their products, and demand that they guarantee the same price even 1 or 2 weeks from now. Good luck with your budget.

• $7

Thanked by 2emgh DA_Mark
  • emghemgh Member
    edited July 2019

DA_Mark said: i kill cpanel

I don't think you should be so harsh, sir.

For total clarity: I edited his comment. He didn't say that. Although It would be cool if he did.

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark said:

@emgh said:

@DA_Mark said:

Yeah, no... Python 2.8 selekter using RAID10 no downtime no sense with network fast, my man. PERIOD.

Thanked by 2DA_Mark emgh
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

DA_Mark said: 2) If/when we raise the price for new licenses/orders, you can always vote with your wallet. You need to personally decide if the DA product has developed enough to justify the price, or if it's just a money grab.

We're seeing that with cpanel: even though people want to leave, having to do so on (edited) such short notice is causing a ton of disruption. Regarding the price lock-in: that's almost like a lifetime hosting offer, which I'm afraid draws skepticism around here ;). There are always unknown unknowns. I'd be more comfortable if the contract just said in the event of a price increase, existing plans will be able to renew at the old rate for at least 1 year past the price change announcement. That gets rid of a lot of the drama since people can decide to stay on board or migrate in an organized way, instead of having to drop everything to move.

I think we all trust you to act fairly as long as you are running DA. The worry is partly what happens if you get a well-earned gazillion dollar buyout offer, but that results in some evil overlord type taking charge of the product. Think of all the companies Google or Amazon have taken over and corrupted.

• From this thread, I almost think that Fran and DirectAdmin is one company. And maybe, Fran is the next President candidate.

And maybe he is alien that try to rule this world.

Thanked by 1uptime

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    From this thread, I almost think that Fran and DirectAdmin is one company. And maybe, Fran is the next President candidate.

And maybe he is alien that try to rule this world.

Yes.

Francisco

• LeeLee Veteran

DA_Mark said: I already mentioned my hatred for witch-hunts and conspiracy theories.

Why are you even here...

• @Lee said:

DA_Mark said: I already mentioned my hatred for witch-hunts and conspiracy theories.

Why are you even here...

The "..." instead of a question mark means you have more to imply. What is your implication in asking why a person who owns and operates as a major player in the hosting business is on a discussion board that discusses hosting providers?