Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best dedicated server I can get for 70 USD per month?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the best dedicated server I can get for 70 USD per month?

Hi guys,

What is the best dedicated server I can get for 70 USD (or Euro) per month?

Network: 1Gpbs
Disks: datacenter SSD + hardware RAID

What is the best choice beside Hetzner?

Thanks

Comments

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep

What CPU and how many disks?

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@comXyz said:

Hetzner server auction.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

@comXyz said:

Thanks

Hetzner. Thanks.

Thanked by 2comXyz pike
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

E3-1270V6, 16 GB DDR4 ECC, 1x 240 GB SSD or 1x 1TB HDD, 1Gbit/s uplink with 30 TB Bandwidth, on a custom deal with us in London.

Thanked by 3comXyz desperand pike
  • comXyzcomXyz Member

Zare said: What CPU and how many disks?

2 disks at least to run RAID 1.
    CPU or ECC Ram doesn't really matter

• if bandwidth isn't concern, quite number of options for that range.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@comXyz said:

Zare said: What CPU and how many disks?

2 disks at least to run RAID 1.
    CPU or ECC Ram doesn't really matter

If you can pay quarterly we can work something out :)

• comXyzcomXyz Member

mrclown said: if bandwidth isn't concern, quite number of options for that range.

Yea, just another idle server mostly for testing

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@Lex are they datacenter SSD?

• comXyzcomXyz Member

Lex said: Is this important? I'm sure they will replace any defective units ASAP regardless.

Yes, it's very important, at least only Datacenter SSDs from Hetzner allow me to do something while my disk usage intensive tools running, while the normal SSDs can't

• kendkend Member

@comXyz said:

Lex said: Is this important? I'm sure they will replace any defective units ASAP regardless.

Yes, it's very important, at least only Datacenter SSDs from Hetzner allow me to do something while my disk usage intensive tools running, while the normal SSDs can't

But why don't you go for Hetzner directly, when the location doesn't matter?

I hadn't chosen Hetzner only because it only has European datacenters while my users are mainly in the US.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@kend said:

@comXyz said:

But why don't you go for Hetzner directly, when the location doesn't matter?

I hadn't chosen Hetzner only because it only has European datacenters while my users are mainly in the US.

I have one already, just wanna try out something else.

• LexLex Member

@comXyz said:

Shot you a PM with the details if you wanna give it a try.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@comXyz

I guess that there are quite some providers here who could offer you something attractive - but you make it hard by insisting on some somewhat special detail ("datacenter SSD + hw Raid") while you seem to have no interest at all wrt the usual criteria like processor, memory, traffic volume, location.

I'd suggest that you name at least some minima for those criteria.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@jsg traffic most likely 0 xD
    processor and memory not too bad for 70$/month, then OK
    my test tools just destroy the disks, only datacenter grade SSD can survive

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@comXyz said:
    ... my test tools just destroy the disks, only datacenter grade SSD can survive

Then NO provider should accept you as client. Such test should be done in your own lab. Just buy some disks of your choice and play with those.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

jsg said: Then NO provider should accept you as client. Such test should be done in your own lab. Just buy some disks of your choice and play with those.

REALLY?

• imokimok Member

Hetzner or Incero will give you cheap and good servers.

Thanked by 2comXyz Hetzner_OL
  • comXyzcomXyz Member

@imok said:
    Hetzner or Incero will give you cheap and good servers.

I will try Incero, already have a server with Hetzner

• @comXyz said:

jsg said: Then NO provider should accept you as client. Such test should be done in your own lab. Just buy some disks of your choice and play with those.

REALLY?

Yes.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@Janevski said:

@comXyz said:

REALLY?

Yes.

Thanks God you guys are not providers

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

comXyz said: my test tools just destroy the disks, only datacenter grade SSD can survive

Try Optane disks, available from H and OVH that I know of. Something wrong with a ramdisk? What exactly are these tests you are doing? If they're disk tests per se, you really want to do them in your own lab so you can also test things like data integrity after power cuts.

Anyway it sounds like your thread is mis-titled since you're not really after a server, but rather you're after durable disks.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • comXyzcomXyz Member

@willie actually I'm after a server that has durable disks.
    On Hetzner I know which one has datacenter SSD, but not other providers.

I just run some simple tools I made for my own team, to test some indexing and training model.

I see on the normal Hetzner SSD, the disk usage always at 80, 90, or 100%, and while the tools are running, I can't do anything.

But on datacenter Hetzner SSD, the usage just around 10 - 20%. That's why I want datacenter SSD.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 2019

@comXyz said:
    my test tools just destroy the disks, only datacenter grade SSD can survive

You're saying this out loud in a forum full of providers?
    This is why we can't have nice (and cheap) things forever.

Edit: looks like my window had stale post contents from 2hrs ago when I commented.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

Well, it sure will destroy the HDD, enterprise HDD, consumer SSD, that's why I'm looking for Datacenter SSD. I don't see anything wrong about that.

• Why would it 'destroy' Enterprise HDD though? Those are rated for lots of hours.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

Under 80, 90, and 100% usage all of the time is not good for any kind of disk I guess?
    Also I want to do something else while the tools run, and I can hardly do it if the disks are not datacenter grade SSD.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

comXyz said: I see on the normal Hetzner SSD, the disk usage always at 80, 90, or 100%, and while the tools are running, I can't do anything.

This sounds more like iops than durability. And there are certainly enterprise ssd with low iops, particularly for writing, intended for read-intensive applications.

Your tests are not intended as tests of the drives themselves, but of some data indexing methods? How much disk space do you need? What kind of sector are you in, where you have these crazy workloads but can't afford more than $70 for a server? It sounds to me like you should pay whatever it costs to get a server with enough ram to hold your data, and not deal with disks at all.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@willie actually the original tools are using RAM, and I want to move everything to the disks, just some crazy ideas lol.

You're right, more like iops, the consumer SSD could only run fast for few mins, while the datacenter SSD is stable for hours, with only 10 - 20% usage.