Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 10 "Buster" stable appears today - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 10 "Buster" stable appears today

1235»

Comments

• donli said: OpenVZ 6 doesn't even like Debian 9.

Not necessarily. I've managed to run Debian 9 quite fine on multiple OpenVZ 6 VPSs (NAT and otherwise) without issue. It's not an extensive setup (esp. on the small NAT VPSs) but typically I don't use/run systemd and that may make a difference (I think it is systemd that has some cgroups dependencies which has kernel implications).

• donlidonli Member

@nullnothere said:

I don't use/run systemd

Trickster!

Thanked by 1nullnothere
  • donli said: Trickster!

I was tricked first. Fortunately, I did a Houdini before I got (sysv)init-ed again.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

donli said: ist gut.

Oops. Can't hide my German-ness, can I.

• sinsin Member

willie said: I've never understood reason corporate types preferring ubuntu over debian, other than Shuttleworth himself being a corporate type so Ubuntu seems less alien to them.

Ubuntu offers support contracts, so that's probably one of the reasons why.

• williewillie Member

sin said: Ubuntu offers support contracts, so that's probably one of the reasons why.

I don't know anyone who bought those contracts. They just spun up Ubuntu on AWS instances by default, or in some cases ran it on their own servers.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2019

Buster requires a 3.2 kernel at minimum, so don't upgrade any legacy OpenVZ VPSes (on 2.6 kernel) to Buster as they won't boot. It'll warn you during the upgrade, but by that time it's already too late :)

This is documented in the release notes: https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#glibc-and-linux
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=888202

Thanked by 3Amitz angstrom saibal
  • seanhoseanho Member

I've been running Buster (systemd and all) on a couple bare-metal machines for a few months now, without drama.

If you're having trouble under SolusVM, you might try disabling "persistent" network interface naming (e.g., by touching /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link), as that was an issue in Stretch.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@willie said:
    Upgraded ... One annoying thing was silly systemd prompt for ssl certificate keyfile password when the web server wasn't even running.

One major reason for me to wait for Devuan.

• Any clue I just bought nat vps with Debian 6.0 to upgrade it to 9.0 possible?

• hjlowhjlow Member

@Learntolive said:
    Any clue I just bought nat vps with Debian 6.0 to upgrade it to 9.0 possible?

good luck with that, one version up at a time maybe?

• @Learntolive Yeah I'd recommend going one version at a time (6 to 7, then 7 to 8, then 8 to 9), and DO NOT upgrade past Debian 9 (Stretch) as Debian 10 isn't compatible with legacy OpenVZ as I mentioned above. Debian 7.0 came out in 2013 so that provider has some ridiculously outdated templates.

You'll need to get Debian 7 and 8 from the archives: http://archive.debian.org/debian/README

• @hjlow said:

@Learntolive said:
    Any clue I just bought nat vps with Debian 6.0 to upgrade it to 9.0 possible?

good luck with that, one version up at a time maybe?

Well I did manage to break it, the service provider did install Debian 8 template that I did upgrade to Debian 9.

Now I Have bunch of vps servers with Debian 9 and 2.6 kernel... Would like to upgrade them to > 4.*.

If I try upgrade The kernel on openvz its going to succeed or its not possible.

• OpenVZ shares the kernel with the host node, so it's not possible to upgrade. You'll need to move to KVM or Xen if you want to be able to upgrade the kernel.

• In other news, Debian 10.1 has been released :smile:

Thanked by 2gazmull uptime
  • angstrom said: Debian 10.1 has been released

with the "now with less remote root" exim4 package ...

please do remember to update your systems people!

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Just to say that Debian 10.2 was released a few days ago :smile:

Thanked by 3Shot2 vimalware poisson
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Prem DEEPIN

• edited December 2019

@Daniel15 said:
    OpenVZ shares the kernel with the host node, so it's not possible to upgrade. You'll need to move to KVM or Xen if you want to be able to upgrade the kernel.

It is possible to run Debian 10 and CentOS 8 on OpenVZ 6 with 2.6.32 kernel. It just requires a custom version of glibc with the compatibility added back in.

https://github.com/sdwru/glibc-centos-8/releases
    https://github.com/sdwru/glibc-debian-10/releases/

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @LosPollosHermanos said:

@Daniel15 said:
    OpenVZ shares the kernel with the host node, so it's not possible to upgrade. You'll need to move to KVM or Xen if you want to be able to upgrade the kernel.

It is possible to run Debian 10 and CentOS 8 on OpenVZ 6 with 2.6.32 kernel. It just requires a custom version of glibc with the compatibility added back in.

https://github.com/sdwru/glibc-centos-8/releases
    https://github.com/sdwru/glibc-debian-10/releases/

Good to know, but I would heed the warning on those two pages:

Use at your own risk. This is not well tested and not supported. I accept no responsibility for anything including loss of data. Make sure to make backups.

Frankly, I would advise everyone to try to migrate from OVZ 6 as soon as possible.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2019

LosPollosHermanos said: It is possible to run Debian 10 and CentOS 8 on OpenVZ 6 with 2.6.32 kernel. It just requires a custom version of glibc with the compatibility added back in.

This is interesting! I don't know how much I'd trust some random person's build of glibc though...

Also there's a lot of features missing from 2.6 kernels compared to modern kernels. Best to just migrate away from the legacy stuff. Hacking Debian to run on such an old kernel would be like trying to use Windows XP's kernel with Windows 10.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • edited December 2019

@Daniel15 said:

LosPollosHermanos said: It is possible to run Debian 10 and CentOS 8 on OpenVZ 6 with 2.6.32 kernel. It just requires a custom version of glibc with the compatibility added back in.

This is interesting! I don't know how much I'd trust some random person's build of glibc though...

Also there's a lot of features missing from 2.6 kernels compared to modern kernels. Best to just migrate away from the legacy stuff. Hacking Debian to run on such an old kernel would be like trying to use Windows XP's kernel with Windows 10.

The source code is posted so you are free to examine it and modify it and compile your own packages. The glibc developers chose to drop support for 2.6.32 so it is what it is. It's only a matter of time before they drop support for the 3.10 kernel so people using containers on OVZ7 will be in the same boat eventually.

OVZ7 is already becoming obsolete now that CE8 is out. I am aware they already have a CE8 kernel for OVZ but if they did not create an upgrade path for OVZ6 nodes I doubt they will create an upgrade path for OVZ7 nodes. That reinforces my belief that just going with KVM is the better way moving forward instead of keeping my wagon hitched to this project. At least with KVM you are not painted into a corner with kernel versions forcing you to upgrade the node OS.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • LosPollosHermanos said: The source code is posted so you are free to examine it and modify it and compile your own packages.

It's hard to tell what's changed though... As far as I can tell, the repo contains the entire patched source code of glibc in a single commit, so I can't tell which code has been modified...