Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 10 "Buster" stable appears today - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 10 "Buster" stable appears today

Comments

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

@uptime said:

Also noticed @freerangecloud currently has an "alpha5" version of the Buster ISO available (setting up a new instance in Fremont - assume they may have it in other locations as well.) Hopefully they'll put the stable release ISO up soon too.

Done!

An actual VPS template will be a little longer time coming though

Thanked by 2uptime angstrom
  • donlidonli Member

@freerangecloud said:

Hurry up, Debianers are excited to finally have the opportunity to be equal to the current Windows release.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@donli said:

@freerangecloud said:

Hurry up, Debianers are excited to finally have the opportunity to be equal to the current Windows release.

Still, it lags 54 versions behind Firefox™.
    No, wait, 55.
    Huh, no, wait, 56
    Oh hmmm no

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@Shot2 said:

Still, it lags 54 versions behind Firefox™.
    No, wait, 55.
    Huh, no, wait, 56
    Oh hmmm no

That's was a brilliant marketing decision on the part of the Firefox team, right ?

(And I just checked, yup, it's at version 67!! )

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

ISO added, having a play myself.

Thanked by 2angstrom uptime
  • I have always been told centos is the server OS.

What are some reasons one would pick debian or ubuntu instead of centos? Sorry, don't mean to get off track the OP.

Any thoughts? Thanks

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@plumberg said:
    I have always been told centos is the server OS.

What are some reasons one would pick debian or ubuntu instead of centos?

You'd like the software versions you run to be from sometime in the last 5 years.

You're someone less apt to like yum.

You want to run a webserver on your remote control.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

I did a fresh install of Debian 10 on a laptop. The installation went well, no issues so far, looking good. :smile:

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

I've never understood reason corporate types preferring ubuntu over debian, other than Shuttleworth himself being a corporate type so Ubuntu seems less alien to them. I did run centos for a while (and fedora on pc's still, but planning to switch). Its packaging and admin commands are different though, so I'm planning to have debian on everything soon. If I were a real nerd I guess I'd use guix, but so it goes.

As of last night, there was a live boot image of xfce but not of mate, which is what I want to run. I torrented the xfce image and let it seed for a while but nobody else seemed to want it. Will wait for mate to appear and get that, I guess.

@willie said: As of last night, there was a live boot image of xfce but not of mate, which is what I want to run. I torrented the xfce image and let it seed for a while but nobody else seemed to want it. Will wait for mate to appear and get that, I guess.

You can find all of the live boot images via this page: https://www.debian.org/CD/live/ (MATE is also there.)

Alternatively, why not just use the netinst image and select MATE when the choice of desktop is queried? (This is what I did today.)

• djndjn Member

I updated my pi-zero os to Buster with minimal problems so it could run on the pi4 I have had sat in its box since day after launch

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

it's there now but wasn't there last night ;)

Alternatively, why not just use the netinst image and select MATE when the choice of desktop is queried?

Desktop installation is for an actual desktop (well laptop) pc with slow internet, so I'd rather download the entire image and install locally, than have it pull packages over the network one at a time.

OVH mirror seems to be populated, but timestamps on lots of files are from before the release, so maybe they are from when it was still in testing:

http://debian.mirrors.ovh.net/debian/dists/buster/main/

I notice apt/sources.list in buyvm kvm template points to mirrors.kernel.org which has 10.0 dists dir, but maybe I'll wait a few days before hitting it.

Interestingly I see the Hetzner Cloud debian 9 template points to deb.debian.org even though Hetzner has its own mirror (mirror.hetzner.de). @Hetzner_OL you might mention that to your devs?

Mirrors.hetzner.de does have 10.0. I might manually update my cloud vps and attempt upgrade (it's now running stretch) before starting dealing with the wheezy dedi.

@willie said: Interestingly I see the Hetzner Cloud debian 9 template points to deb.debian.org even though Hetzner has its own mirror (mirror.hetzner.de). @Hetzner_OL you might mention that to your devs?

deb.debian.org is a safer choice, especially seeing that mirror.hetzner.de isn't reachable at the moment.

edited July 2019

@angstrom said:

@willie said: Interestingly I see the Hetzner Cloud debian 9 template points to deb.debian.org even though Hetzner has its own mirror (mirror.hetzner.de). @Hetzner_OL you might mention that to your devs?

deb.debian.org is a safer choice, especially seeing that mirror.hetzner.de isn't reachable at the moment.

Or is it mirrors.hetzner.de ? In which case perhaps a complete directory path is needed (which I'm missing).

@willie said: I notice apt/sources.list in buyvm kvm template points to mirrors.kernel.org which has 10.0 dists dir, but maybe I'll wait a few days before hitting it.

mirrors.kernel.org is probably a well-maintained mirror and one that can handle a good number of connections.

• williewillie Member

angstrom said: Or is it mirrors.hetzner.de

No it's

deb http://mirror.hetzner.de/debian/packages wheezy main contrib non-free

The mirror is up and works fine inside Hetzner, but it looks unresponsive from outside Hetzner, which makes sense if it's intended for Hetzner users.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Raspbian did it earlier.

• vyas11vyas11 Member

Looks like Buster is busting tonight’s plans. Now if only there was a spare setup to do a clean install...

• @vyas11 said:
    Looks like Buster is busting tonight’s plans. Now if only there was a spare setup to do a clean install...

Hetzner cloud hourly. :D

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Upgraded buyvm 1gb slice without significant snags. One annoying thing was silly systemd prompt for ssl certificate keyfile password when the web server wasn't even running. Upgrade was pretty fast despite getting files from kernel.org. Faster than virmach kvm of last night, I'd say. Vm specs are simliar.

Also spent a lot of today compressing and copying backups around, in preparation for upgrading hetzner dedi. That will be a blast since it's something of a frankenstein right now.

• donlidonli Member

@willie said:

Also spent a lot of today compressing and copying backups around, in preparation for upgrading hetzner dedi. That will be a blast since it's something of a frankenstein right now.

That's falkenstein.

Thanked by 3willie uptime ITLabs
  • uptimeuptime Member

Thanked by 3willie ITLabs vimalware
  • williewillie Member

Upgraded an i5 Kimsufi which was supposedly a fairly clean Stretch install. Weird thing happened that also happened on the Virmach KVM iirc. The first time I thought I'd messed something up, but now I'm like wtf.

Basically I changed sources.list to point to buster, then apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgrade, went through whole process including more annoying dialogs than usual about config files being edited. Then the upgrade seemed to finish, so I rebooted, but found I was still running stretch. Ran dist-upgrade again and did ANOTHER huge upgrade install, and this time the dist upgrade seemed to actually work so the box is running Buster now. I'll watch for any breakage.

This reminds me of why I've always hated upgrading software. Something always goes wrong. So I've traditionally preferred to do full reinstalls to incremental upgrades, before stuff started changing so fast.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@donli Hi everyone, Debian 10 or Buster ist now available for Hetzner Cloud!

• uptimeuptime Member

Büster

Thanked by 1willie
  • donlidonli Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

ist gut.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

You are the second cloud has Debian 10 image available, right after Linode!

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • From Debian 8 to buster, just busted My shit, prolly cause openvz and kernel old.

• donlidonli Member

@Learntolive said:
    From Debian 8 to buster, just busted My shit, prolly cause openvz and kernel old.

OpenVZ 6 doesn't even like Debian 9.

• @donli said:

@Learntolive said:
    From Debian 8 to buster, just busted My shit, prolly cause openvz and kernel old.

OpenVZ 6 doesn't even like Debian 9.

Debian 9 went smooth with kernel 2.6 but buster rip 😅