Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Use your idle VPS to mine NKN cryptocoins (proof of relay) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Use your idle VPS to mine NKN cryptocoins (proof of relay)

13»

Comments

• joepie91 said: Who cares about technical arguments! What matters is that we're going to the moooooon!

Exactly. IMO this "proof of idling" coin seem like the next BTC. HOARDERS UNITE!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • zero24xzero24x Member
    edited July 2019

!!! WARNING: Sorry, I did more research about the structure and thought about what I said previously, I have to change my mind, I was too blind and did not think of all risks involved:

There is a BIG ABUSE POTENTIAL AND POTENTIAL LEGAL RISKS involved, I DO NOT RECOMMENDED RUN NKN ON YOUR IDLE VPS. Instead maybe cancel them or run something else.

Reasons: NKN could be used similar like TOR hidden services, you know a system designed to be decentralized, encrypted and anonymous simply attracts "bad guys" (gray&black legal areas, copyrighted material sharers and even more bad guys which are around e.g. in the darknet). I do not want to explain details.

I still thinks its a very innovative and good idea with potential if its used e.g. for Videostream CDN but it has a big abuse potential by design and we know bad guys are out and use what they can.

In worst case e.g. people send very bad / illegal data maybe the feds will raid many nodes involved.

@Moderators/Admins: Please remove this topic or move to thrash, delete whatever you can do to hide/lock it, thanks!

• HurleyHurley Member

joepie91 said: What matters is that we're going to the moooooon!

BITCONNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECT

Thanked by 1uptime
  • donlidonli Member

@zero24x said:
    !!! WARNING: Sorry, I did more research about the structure and thought about what I said previously, I have to change my mind, I was too blind and did not think of all risks involved:

There is a BIG ABUSE POTENTIAL AND POTENTIAL LEGAL RISKS involved, I DO NOT RECOMMENDED RUN NKN ON YOUR IDLE VPS. Instead maybe cancel them or run something else.

Reasons: NKN could be used similar like TOR hidden services, you know a system designed to be decentralized, encrypted and anonymous simply attracts "bad guys" (gray&black legal areas, copyrighted material sharers and even more bad guys which are around e.g. in the darknet). I do not want to explain details.

I still thinks its a very innovative and good idea with potential if its used e.g. for Videostream CDN but it has a big abuse potential by design and we know bad guys are out and use what they can.

@Moderators/Admins: Please remove this topic or move to thrash, delete whatever you can do to hide/lock it, thanks!

So long, and thanks for all the clogged pipes!

• This is an awful idea.

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

The end was nigh. Go to bed now, tks.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Did someone just spit their dummy out?

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Did someone just spit their dummy out?

Hello,
    what do you mean spit dummy? I simply changed my mind, I was wrong about risks & abuse potentital which is way higher than I imagined initially.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

mmmhmm.

• @zero24x said:

In worst case e.g. people send very bad / illegal data maybe the feds will raid many nodes involved.

• defaultdefault Veteran

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • edited July 2019

So, I try this on virtualbox, and after a few hours, it keep showing Syncing on NKNMining Web interface.

How long will it take time to sync all ChainDB? And what is it size?

Node status: syncing
    Node version: v1.0.1b-beta
    Message relayed by node: 2285
    NKN network block height: 1097550
    Node block height: 23667

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    So, I try this on virtualbox, and after a few hours, it keep showing Syncing on NKNMining Web interface.

hello,

i suggest you come to discord chat https://discordapp.com/invite/c7mTynX there are ppl usually to help you fast.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2019

@zero24x said:
    when someone invests this amount of money he does it mostly in something thats a good idea or looks like it has a good future, not something stupid?

Ever heard of Juicero?

@joepie91 said:
    Not to mention that 'unused bandwidth' is often not really unused anyway, as bandwidth is oversold; so your "unused bandwidth" may actually be bandwidth that somebody else on the same line is using.

Inb4 we get a bunch of disgruntled idiots because they can’t get a full gigabit on a shared gigabit port.

@joepie91 said:
    But nah, of course it's all just "haters", there can't possibly be something technically wrong with your precious blockchain. Who cares about technical arguments! What matters is that we're going to the moooooon!

OMG THE FOMO!

@zero24x said:

Who do you think we are?

@Tyler91 said:
    This is an awful idea.

Indeed.

@zero24x said:

@ErawanArifNugroho said:

hello,

i suggest you come to discord chat https://discordapp.com/invite/c7mTynX there are ppl usually to help you fast.

No.

Edit: I’ll leave this thread open for a while longer for meme value :-)

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • hzrhzr Member

doghouch said: Inb4 we get a bunch of disgruntled idiots because they can’t get a full gigabit on a shared gigabit port.

Is this basically an even scammier version of https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1370854?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • riorio Member

I tried the guide you mention but unable to do. I even tried with docker.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited July 2019

My work is in IT security development and implementing or porting crypto is one of my typical tasks.

Looking with that professional background at that nkn stuff I can clearly say that that's either a malevolent scam or a project done by completely clueless idiots. Their "core" language is Go, which may be a fine language for some project types but is rarely used by professionals in the crypto field - and for good reasons.

Their Merkle trees (not exactly visionary nowadays) are based on (SHA) 256 bit hashes. I mention that as an example for their incompetent approach. About the only positive thing I can say about that nkn thingy is that one of the (quite different and seeming to be quite arbitrarily mixed) mechanisms used is Bernsteins 25519.

Thanks to their carefulness (not) I can offer you something funny: One of their supported APIs is "Exlir". Others are Java (not to be seriously considered today) C# (in .Net pros use F#) and of course Go (not seriously considered in the crypto field).

TL;DR: Kindly stop wasting network resources and our time with that strange mix of "mental asylum product" and "me too", @zero24x !

And btw., how the hell dare you to try luring people into investing (and losing) their money based on evidently not even being minimally qualified in this field? Go back to recommending funny playstation games to your pals.

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
  • jsg said: Go back to recommending funny playstation games to your pals.

What??? no more sudoku?

• @rio said:
    I tried the guide you mention but unable to do. I even tried with docker.

hello,

• @Yura said:
    If this mining nonsense continues, I will throw away my computer, and go live in a forest until space travel is reasonably cheap and not nauseating.

Follow your heart!

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @zero24x said:
    hello,

some days ago the nkn (https://nkn.org) mainnet launched 2 days ago, there you can setup a server and mine coins using "proof of relay", do not worry it does not use much cpu!

proof of relay they describe as "We use economic incentives to motivate Internet users to share network connection and utilize unused bandwidth."

it is not solving mathematical issues, your node will provide currently just a bit of bandwidth & latency.

this could be an use case for all people having idle vps here :-)

tutorial: https://medium.com/nknetwork/setting-up-a-nkn-miner-in-5-minutes-and-run-it-free-for-2-months-with-digitalocean-76bafcd82ae8

currently expected earnings are 5$/mo worth of tokens which are not yet on exchanges, i heard old one is on exchanges only (before mainnet launch), depends on trading price & amount of nodes, latency etc.

please research yourself and monitor the resource usage.

is anyone making good money on renting vps'es for mining ? except for the companies renting out the hardware/vms

• zero24xzero24x Member
    edited July 2019

@StackpointerSolution said:

@zero24x said:
    hello,

some days ago the nkn (https://nkn.org) mainnet launched 2 days ago, there you can setup a server and mine coins using "proof of relay", do not worry it does not use much cpu!

proof of relay they describe as "We use economic incentives to motivate Internet users to share network connection and utilize unused bandwidth."

it is not solving mathematical issues, your node will provide currently just a bit of bandwidth & latency.

this could be an use case for all people having idle vps here :-)

tutorial: https://medium.com/nknetwork/setting-up-a-nkn-miner-in-5-minutes-and-run-it-free-for-2-months-with-digitalocean-76bafcd82ae8

currently expected earnings are 5$/mo worth of tokens which are not yet on exchanges, i heard old one is on exchanges only (before mainnet launch), depends on trading price & amount of nodes, latency etc.

please research yourself and monitor the resource usage.

is anyone making good money on renting vps'es for mining ? except for the companies renting out the hardware/vms

hello,

currently you can expect about 5$ per month but the new NKN is not yet on exchange so all in all no big profits in sight, maybe if someday big video streaming sites join they token could be worth more but no one knows for sure.

so its more an investment thinking the future brings a higher price, but you could also just buy tokens instead of messing around with mining.