Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Use your idle VPS to mine NKN cryptocoins (proof of relay) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Use your idle VPS to mine NKN cryptocoins (proof of relay)

Comments

• YuraYura Member

@hjlow said:
    most ppl on this forum just like to shoot everything down, nothing new

some ppl on this forum just like to complain about complainers, nothing new

• zero24xzero24x Member
    edited July 2019

@Learntolive said:

2019/07/04 18:23:09.095348 [INFO ] GID 1, get no ID from local ledger
    2019/07/04 18:23:09.323883 [INFO ] GID 1, GetID got resp: {"error":{"code":-45023,"data":null,"message":"INTERNAL ERROR, it's zero ID in account"},"id":"1","jsonrpc":"2.0"} from http://mainnet-seed-0029.nkn.org:30003

2019/07/04 18:23:09.393183 [INFO ] GID 1, GetID got resp: {"error":{"code":-45023,"data":null,"message":"INTERNAL ERROR, it's zero ID in account"},"id":"1","jsonrpc":"2.0"} from http://mainnet-seed-0003.nkn.org:30003

2019/07/04 18:23:09.685098 [INFO ] GID 1, GetID got resp: {"error":{"code":-45023,"data":null,"message":"INTERNAL ERROR, it's zero ID in account"},"id":"1","jsonrpc":"2.0"} from http://mainnet-seed-0033.nkn.org:30003

what is broken ?

hello,

i suggest you come to discord chat https://discordapp.com/invite/c7mTynX there are pepole usually to help you fast.

and sorry if i was not clear: yes, the nodes relay traffic which could be anything basically so regular stuff of gray area / not legal things.

BUT, the big BUT: if i understood them right you cannot trace/know which node sent it and which receives it, u know e.g. its from node 45lk34kl43kl54 to node l54k5klkl654l6 (examples - it uses random ids..). + data itself (payload) is encrypted. but it gets relayed through multiple nodes before it reaches destination similar to TOR.

if you run a tor node you will connect directly to "regular internet" e.g. badwebsite.com, with nkn currently you communicate only with nodes in the network.

its so difficult to describe it all right, please research yourself on their website thanks

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep

data itself (payload) is encrypted.

encrypted malicious traffic, what a revolutionary idea.

i suggest you come to discord chat

please research yourself on their website thanks

• did you read they get a $200M investment: https://medium.com/nknetwork/blockgroup-a-200m-m-a-crypto-fund-announces-strategic-investment-in-nkn-e809af3cc267 ?

and read also https://medium.com/nknetwork/nkn-system-architecture-and-product-focus-9d99bdd8e2fc

they have also a cdn e.g. for video streaming on youtube or similar planned

when someone invests this amount of money he does it mostly in something thats a good idea or looks like it has a good future, not something stupid?

my opinion: crypto is now getting out of the hobby/joke/nerd area and transioning into real world use cases and innovation.. evolution u can call it.

• sonicsonic Veteran

How much can you earn per day with 5$ DO vps?

• @zero24x said:
    and sorry if i was not clear: yes, the nodes relay traffic which could be anything basically so regular stuff of gray area / not legal things.

BUT, the big BUT: if i understood them right you cannot trace/know which node sent it and which receives it, u know e.g. its from node 45lk34kl43kl54 to node l54k5klkl654l6 (examples - it uses random ids..). + data itself (payload) is encrypted. but it gets relayed through multiple nodes before it reaches destination similar to TOR.

So basically, as with all the similar stuff, you have to blindly trust that some random people who coded the software did not screw up somewhere (which is literally 100% impossible), and hope that nothing really bad comes through your specific server and attract too much attention.

That's not new... and at least IMO users should be able to make informed decision that they are willing to take the risk (no matter how small) and know what the risks are. That's why i personally consider any such stuff that is "advertised" as "100% safe, everything is encrypted and impossible to trace" to be created with some malicious intent by default.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member

sonic said: How much can you earn per day with 5$ DO vps?

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@sonic said:

• sonicsonic Veteran

@ITLabs said:

@sonic said:

this!

• @sonic said:

1 suspension email and a visit from the local authorities.

• YuraYura Member
    edited July 2019

I propose NSA coin. You dedicate all your resources to the Surveillance State's domestic and foreign activities (it's all encrypted, no worries) and you win a cozy little jail cell afterwards.

But maybe I'm late about that, we already have smartphones.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

$200 million? The worst peado’s are usually ritch assholes I guess, interesting way to get everyone that hates you to cover up your tracks.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

We have a simple rule, cryptocurrency mining not allowed on our VPS, does not matter if it uses 50% or 100% of course we cannot monitor process in a KVM VPS, so as long as it does not gets our attention we will never know

• williewillie Member

HostEONS said: of course we cannot monitor process in a KVM VPS, so as long as it does not gets our attention we will never know

This is about NKN, which is a coin mined by burning network bandwidth rather than CPU cycles. So it is not all internal to the VPS.

• @sonic said:

currently expected are 5$/mo worth of tokens which are not yet on exchanges, i heard old one is on exchanges only (before mainnet launch), depends on trading price & amount of nodes, latency etc.

but you know how crypto is, one day u can buy a pizza for 1 coin, some years later 1 car with it, so i think of it more of an investment of the future :-)

and they just started their main network 2 days ago, partnerships, integrations etc. in the future can bring more value.

and yes, some warnings: think first if you really want to relay strangers data, monitor resource usage. righ not its not like TOR so people can communicate nkn client 2 client only not browse website through relay nodes.

• I hear aws have 25gbit now. 😈

Thanked by 1uptime
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

Well, this sounds like a thoroughly stupid idea. Quoting from their site:

Current Internet were designed for peak traffic but most of the time these networks are underutilized, leaving unused bandwidth wasted every second.

And this solves that... how? This situation exists because demand for traffic isn't consistent, and varies a lot; which means that no matter whether you route it over the standard public internet or some whizzbangpop ~blockchain~ protocol, you're still going to see the exact same usage patterns. This doesn't do anything whatsoever about 'unused bandwidth'.

Not to mention that 'unused bandwidth' is often not really unused anyway, as bandwidth is oversold; so your "unused bandwidth" may actually be bandwidth that somebody else on the same line is using.

As far as I can tell, this is just another blockchain-for-the-sake-of-it project, no doubt involving people who are hoping for a nice payoff. Either that, or the real purpose of it is very different and this is actually used to proxy sketchy traffic, and the whole "unused bandwidth" shtick is just a smokescreen to justify it. I'm not sure which would be worse.

@zero24x said:
    did you read they get a $200M investment: https://medium.com/nknetwork/blockgroup-a-200m-m-a-crypto-fund-announces-strategic-investment-in-nkn-e809af3cc267 ?

and read also https://medium.com/nknetwork/nkn-system-architecture-and-product-focus-9d99bdd8e2fc

they have also a cdn e.g. for video streaming on youtube or similar planned

when someone invests this amount of money he does it mostly in something thats a good idea or looks like it has a good future, not something stupid?

my opinion: crypto is now getting out of the hobby/joke/nerd area and transioning into real world use cases and innovation.. evolution u can call it.

And these sort of rationales are typical red flags for cryptocurrency investor scams. Blockchains are simply not useful for the vast majority of usecases. There is no untapped potential here that's just waiting to be unleashed; blockchains are a very specific solution to a very specific problem that have been overhyped by people who figured they could make a quick buck by convincing people that Actually, It's Revolutionary.

When you actually understand the tech from start to end, this is blatantly obvious. It only fools people who have a vague notion of how blockchains kinda sorta work, but no comprehensive bigger understanding of it or its tradeoffs.

• zero24xzero24x Member
    edited July 2019

@vimalware said:
    I hear aws have 25gbit now. 😈

cool but be careful and set some limits, lol not that it generate a high bill because of all that useable bandwidth.

lol, permament blockchain haters like joepie, i dont want to waste much energy arguing with them, probably a guy who buys a pizza for 1btc when it was 10$ or so because "its useless" or went down in price much and now 1btc is 11k$.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

zero24x said: lol, permament blockchain haters like joepie, i dont want to waste much energy arguing with them, probably a guy who buys a pizza for 1btc when it was 10$ or so because "its useless" or went down in price much and now 1btc is 11k$.

haha, you don't know him at all so you have no idea how ridiculous that is to those of us that do.

Thanked by 3uptime netomx vimalware
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@zero24x said:
    lol, permament blockchain haters like joepie

seriously ... your lol dismissal of a nuanced analysis of appropriate use of teh blockchains does more of a lol disservice to any serious argument lol

but lol I suppose lol filtering lol the proverbial fools to be parted from their money / time / opportunity cost / reputation / sanity lol pump-and-dump lol is the name of the lol game now lol

EDIT2: lol

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • hjlowhjlow Member

these stupid gif's are really useless

• uptimeuptime Member

@hjlow said:

Yeah ... they use up all the bandwidth, ammirite ?

Thanked by 3Yura dedotatedwam t0m
  • donlidonli Member

@hjlow said:

Clearly you don't know about gifpostcoin.

• hjlowhjlow Member

haha donli, thanks for that :)

• defaultdefault Veteran

The GIF in GIFcoin stands for Gaming Investment Fund. Sadly there is no cryptocoin for gif pictures.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

LOL

Edit: LMAO

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    Thanked by 2vimalware ITLabs
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

zero24x said: lol, permament blockchain haters like joepie, i dont want to waste much energy arguing with them, probably a guy who buys a pizza for 1btc when it was 10$ or so because "its useless" or went down in price much and now 1btc is 11k$.

You may want to look into my history, before making claims like that...

But nah, of course it's all just "haters", there can't possibly be something technically wrong with your precious blockchain. Who cares about technical arguments! What matters is that we're going to the moooooon!

Thanked by 3uptime ITLabs vimalware
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

@joepie91 said:
    Who cares about technical arguments! What matters is that we're going to the moooooon!

Moon's technical arguments about NKN cryptoshitcoins: