Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Use your idle VPS to mine NKN cryptocoins (proof of relay)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Use your idle VPS to mine NKN cryptocoins (proof of relay)

zero24xzero24x Member
edited July 2019 in General

hello,

some days ago the nkn (https://nkn.org) mainnet launched 2 days ago, there you can setup a server and mine coins using "proof of relay", do not worry it does not use much cpu!

proof of relay they describe as "We use economic incentives to motivate Internet users to share network connection and utilize unused bandwidth."

it is not solving mathematical issues, your node will provide currently just a bit of bandwidth & latency.

this could be an use case for all people having idle vps here :-)

tutorial: https://medium.com/nknetwork/setting-up-a-nkn-miner-in-5-minutes-and-run-it-free-for-2-months-with-digitalocean-76bafcd82ae8

currently expected earnings are 5$/mo worth of tokens which are not yet on exchanges, i heard old one is on exchanges only (before mainnet launch), depends on trading price & amount of nodes, latency etc.

please research yourself and monitor the resource usage.

Comments

• ITLabsITLabs Member

I only mine PigeonCoin, tks.

• @ITLabs said:

Well its i think the first project with proof of relay and just started, try it, a chance to get in early like satoshi!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I have been having issues with people running this recently with it using 100% of a core for hours at a time, I usually get the same rude reply informing me it is network bound not cpu bound so I can only assume the daemon is badly written.

Just a word of warning, it is not set and forget, you may loose your server for abuse.

• zero24xzero24x Member
    edited July 2019

@AnthonySmith said:
    I have been having issues with people running this recently with it using 100% of a core for hours at a time, I usually get the same rude reply informing me it is network bound not cpu bound so I can only assume the daemon is badly written.

Just a word of warning, it is not set and forget, you may loose your server for abuse.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, maybe they ran testnet? about 2 days ago mainnet launched and once u have it compiled the binary runs with low cpu usage, maybe 0.3 with 1 Xeon E5 core.

I do not see high cpu usage with NKN, but maybe in the future when its a full scale CDN with e.g HD video streaming etc.

alternative: install linux tool "cpulimit" and set hard limit to e.g. 0.5 cpu, but be careful its also not good if its slowed down too much

Yes testnet was mentioned, not sure why that would make the difference.

Also 30% of a core 24x7 is not exactly 'friendly' for some hosts, but I guess you are really suggesting people run it on a dedicated server if they need dedicated CPU time anyway.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

@zero24x said:

@ITLabs said:

Well its i think the first project with proof of relay and just started, try it, a chance to get in early like satoshi!

Fine! I have a Ryzen 5 3600 idling, will give a try, tks.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2019

Since most servers are limited to "you can't use 100% of a core for more than 10 minutes at a time" but allows 50% of a core at all times. Is there a way to throttle a group of processes to no more than 50% through some configuration (external to the process itself)?

• williewillie Member

yoursunny said: allows 50% of a core at all times.

"most servers" allow that? News to me, that's quite a lot for a low end vps. Also being network bound means hosing network instead of cpu, also obnoxious. Finally if it's transferring useful data for someone, it's probably nasty data, i.e. it's basically another flavor of tor node, again prohibited on many networks.

Stop, just stop, please just stop.

• zero24xzero24x Member
    edited July 2019

@AnthonySmith said:
    Yes testnet was mentioned, not sure why that would make the difference.

Also 30% of a core 24x7 is not exactly 'friendly' for some hosts, but I guess you are really suggesting people run it on a dedicated server if they need dedicated CPU time anyway.

When a crypto launches, first they run usually a testnet (later they use it for testing new features) - to check if all nodes work, if chain has bugs,issues etc. So in testnet its more likely that something e.g. cpu spikes happens which should not happen in production.

I guess in your case testnet used more resources, maybe mainnet that launched recently runs more stable & with less resource usage. Or the VPS owner setup something wrong.

• @yoursunny said:
    Since most servers are limited to "you can't use 100% of a core for more than 10 minutes at a time" but allows 50% of a core at all times. Is there a way to throttle a group of processes to no more than 50% through some configuration (external to the process itself)?

Install the linux tool cpulimit, it enforces to limit cpu usage of a process - u can use it to not use too much CPU on a vps (prevent suspension because of high CPU). But if you limit too much the process gets to slow.

I usually start it like this: "nohup cpulimit -l 40 -e nknd &"

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • zero24xzero24x Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:

yoursunny said: allows 50% of a core at all times.

"most servers" allow that? News to me, that's quite a lot for a low end vps. Also being network bound means hosing network instead of cpu, also obnoxious. Finally if it's transferring useful data for someone, it's probably nasty data, i.e. it's basically another flavor of tor node, again prohibited on many networks.

Stop, just stop, please just stop.

Yes, of course watch what usescase it has if its something u do not like e.g. adult video CDN do not run it. I think right now there are not many applications on it and data is routed through 8 nodes or something with anonymous features added.

But yes somehow its similar to TOR.

Current use cases:

• Space Cats - 3D real-time multi-player game built with NKN Client SDK, NKN name service, and Unity3D framework.
    • NKN chat - A decentralized instant messenger built with NKN Client SDK.

.. see https://www.nkn.org/#/developer

zero24x said: Install the linux tool cpulimit, it enforces to limit cpu usage of a process - u can use it to not use too much CPU on a vps (prevent suspension because of high CPU). But if you limit too much the process gets to slow.

I think you completely missed my point, I am also a host not an interested user.

Thanked by 2taubin netomx
  • @AnthonySmith said:

zero24x said: Install the linux tool cpulimit, it enforces to limit cpu usage of a process - u can use it to not use too much CPU on a vps (prevent suspension because of high CPU). But if you limit too much the process gets to slow.

I think you completely missed my point, I am also a host not an interested user.

I think you are being salty. Anways, the recent mainnet version runs with not so high CPU, i think the guy with 100% CPU you mentioned has it misconfigured or runs old versions.

• williewillie Member

If it's running 100% network that's not so good either, even for hosts who do allow things like adult CDN. There's a natural distribution of usage for both network and CPU and hosts can usually accomodate such a mix, including some heavy cpu users who are using the cpu to do real work. Mining is different, it wants to horizontally scale til it eats the universe, so in the case of network traffic consumption it combines the worst of both tor and spam. Again, this just sounds terrible, please make it go away. I hope no hosts allow it.

Thanked by 3uptime default Gamma17
  • uptimeuptime Member

zero24x said: I think you are being salty.

LOL ...

perhaps you are being salted ?

This will only end in tears.

• cociucociu Member

crypto , crypto , crypto .. finnaly bankrupt !

Thanked by 1netomx

zero24x said: I think you are being salty. Anways, the recent mainnet version runs with not so high CPU, i think the guy with 100% CPU you mentioned has it misconfigured or runs old versions.

I have typed 4 replies, deleted them, I realize it makes no difference, as you were.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    Thanked by 2uptime netomx
  • Please do not stay too much offtopic, thanks.

• donlidonli Member

@zero24x said:

Please do not stay too much offtopic, thanks.

The topic is how to destroy the Internet, right ?

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited July 2019

Even ignoring host/resource usage point of view what i've never understood is why would i ever willingly run some unknown software that allows unknown 3-rd party traffic to pass through my device/service/whatever? Apart from some malicious intent like stealing something from data that is going through, i mean. Tor, i2p, ***coin, whatever... may be i am just being paranoid but IMO it has way too much potential "issues", some of which may be pretty unpleasant.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

Please do not stay too much offtopic, thanks

The topic is this: what you're suggesting people to do will result in them being told to gtfo from almost any host that is paying attention.

And by the way ... this is a forum for open discussion (within reasonable limits).

We're not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with us. Until such time as you are invited to take your color-coded NK proxy shitcoin pitch and gtfo.

I say this with all possible due respect, love, and understanding.

EDIT2:

I (usually) would prefer to be a bit more diplomatic and open to discussion about different points of view.

Let's try to learn a bit more about how this thing works - and understand why many hosts may not approve.

Your turn.

• knock knock FBI: Do you have a moment to talk about...

Thanked by 1uptime
  • YuraYura Member

If this mining nonsense continues, I will throw away my computer, and go live in a forest until space travel is reasonably cheap and not nauseating.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@vimalware said:
    knock knock FBI: Do you have a moment to talk about...

I have been present for that conversation one fine afternoon a few years ago at my friendly neighborhood hackerspace - specifically with regards to a tor exit node. Good times. ("Ah ... sorry boss, that server actually isn't at this location - but we'll be sure to relay the message.")

• Perfect now i have a use for some garbage vms ive been forced to idle

• hjlowhjlow Member

most ppl on this forum just like to shoot everything down, nothing new

Thanked by 3uptime vimalware netomx
  • grnzgrnz Member

@zero24x said:
    hello,

some days ago the nkn (https://nkn.org) mainnet launched 2 days ago

So was it some days or 2 days? Your sense of time is already throwing me off.

• 2019/07/04 18:23:09.095348 [INFO ] GID 1, get no ID from local ledger
    2019/07/04 18:23:09.323883 [INFO ] GID 1, GetID got resp: {"error":{"code":-45023,"data":null,"message":"INTERNAL ERROR, it's zero ID in account"},"id":"1","jsonrpc":"2.0"} from http://mainnet-seed-0029.nkn.org:30003

2019/07/04 18:23:09.393183 [INFO ] GID 1, GetID got resp: {"error":{"code":-45023,"data":null,"message":"INTERNAL ERROR, it's zero ID in account"},"id":"1","jsonrpc":"2.0"} from http://mainnet-seed-0003.nkn.org:30003

2019/07/04 18:23:09.685098 [INFO ] GID 1, GetID got resp: {"error":{"code":-45023,"data":null,"message":"INTERNAL ERROR, it's zero ID in account"},"id":"1","jsonrpc":"2.0"} from http://mainnet-seed-0033.nkn.org:30003

what is broken ?