Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 31
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Another issue I've noticed is the File Manager won't load if the users direcetory is quite large (150gb in this case). Deleted a load of files and dropped it to 13gb and it works fine.

• ifykoifyko Member
    edited December 2019

@Mr_Tom said:
    Another issue I've noticed is the File Manager won't load if the users direcetory is quite large (150gb in this case). Deleted a load of files and dropped it to 13gb and it works fine.

This should help: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=678

It did the trick for me.

Thanked by 2Mr_Tom eva2000
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

ifyko said: It did the trick for me.

That looks like it should solve the issue. Will give it a go, cheers.

• @flips said:

@smtalk said:
    If you'd like to do a 'more advanced' whitelisting/blacklisting using regex globally, please use https://rspamd.com/doc/modules/multimap.html#regexp-maps.

Well, all I want to do, is block some TLD's. Not sure that should be considered very advanced.
    :wink: The cPanel/spamassassin syntax does not work.

This multimap module, that's something server admin needs to add/setup? Or can I set this in my user config/config files?

I'm just a DA user, trying to block all the .pro TLD spam ...

Sorry, I see I forgot to answer this :smile: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2582 available in pre-release.

• @smtalk said:

@flips said:

@smtalk said:
    If you'd like to do a 'more advanced' whitelisting/blacklisting using regex globally, please use https://rspamd.com/doc/modules/multimap.html#regexp-maps.

Well, all I want to do, is block some TLD's. Not sure that should be considered very advanced.

This multimap module, that's something server admin needs to add/setup? Or can I set this in my user config/config files?

Sorry, I see I forgot to answer this :smile: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2582 available in pre-release.

Hey Bud, any possibility of listing all the configs and settings in one page ? Maybe one for stable and one for prerelease? Googling is easy but also super time consumin.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint eva2000
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2019

@seriesn said:

@smtalk said:

@flips said:

@smtalk said:

Hey Bud, any possibility of listing all the configs and settings in one page ? Maybe one for stable and one for prerelease? Googling is easy but also super time consumin.

I sent a note to Mark the other day that they really need to work to get a Tweak Settings like section in the admin side (flesh out the Administration Settings part) to basically include all of the options possible.

DA has a mountain of features that are all CLI based so people don't see it.

If they gave UI options to everything people would see it being a lot closer to cPanel, like it is.

EDIT - I also see no reason to have ssl be off by default. ssl=1 should be the new default and during installation they should check if the hostname is valid and try to automagically assign it an LE SSL.

If it isn't already an option they should make it so whenever a domain is added it tries to get an LE SSL for it. If the SSL assignment fails, still add the domain but send a message to the user documenting the failure.

Francisco

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @Francisco said:

@seriesn said:

@smtalk said:

@flips said:

@smtalk said:

I sent a note to Mark the other day that they really need to work to get a Tweak Settings like section in the admin side (flesh out the Administration Settings part) to basically include all of the options possible.

If they gave UI options to everything people would see it being a lot closer to cPanel, like it is.

EDIT - I also see no reason to have ssl be off by default. ssl=1 should be the new default and during installation they should check if the hostname is valid and try to automagically assign it an LE SSL.

Francisco

CLI is still fine. Just having a page where I can find all my required settings/config vs trying to scout through loads of forum posts and changelog is really inconvinient. Specially for a panel, that is evolving really fast.

seriesn said: CLI is still fine. Just having a page where I can find all my required settings/config vs trying to scout through loads of forum posts and changelog is really inconvinient. Specially for a panel, that is evolving really fast.

It isn't fine when the 2 biggest complaints about the panel are:

• "cPanel has more features"
    • "cPanel is easy to administer"

DA is pretty feature rich. Thing is, basic things like SSL are either disabled by default or require manual adjusting in directadmin.conf.

Maybe they've added a UI toggle for SSL but I know that when I provisioned some new nodes this week I was enabling it by command line and having to manually assign an SSL.

Another easy one. When the user changes the servers hostname, try to issue a new SSL.

There's just a lot of simple actions that would save time and make the panel feel more complete.

Francisco

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @Francisco said:

seriesn said: CLI is still fine. Just having a page where I can find all my required settings/config vs trying to scout through loads of forum posts and changelog is really inconvinient. Specially for a panel, that is evolving really fast.

It isn't fine when the 2 biggest complaints about the panel are:

• "cPanel has more features"
    • "cPanel is easy to administer"

DA is pretty feature rich. Thing is, basic things like SSL are either disabled by default or require manual adjusting in directadmin.conf.

Maybe they've added a UI toggle for SSL but I know that when I provisioned some new nodes this week I was enabling it by command line and having to manually assign an SSL.

Another easy one. When the user changes the servers hostname, try to issue a new SSL.

There's just a lot of simple actions that would save time and make the panel feel more complete.

Francisco

Agreed. It does require extra steps for many simple changes. But they grew a lot.

Thanked by 1Francisco

Absolutely.

Compared to what it was at the start of the year prior to evolution to now is night and day :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @Francisco said:

@seriesn said:

@smtalk said:

@flips said:

@smtalk said:

If it isn't already an option they should make it so whenever a domain is added it tries to get an LE SSL for it. If the SSL assignment fails, still add the domain but send a message to the user documenting the failure.

Francisco

cPanel doesn't do that.

I for one use Cloudflare and set the DNS only after everything has been set up (migrated). So before that, SSL won't be possible to be set up (it will fail). Resulting in a needless, futile attempt and (a rather small) resource waste (just like most of my posts and sexual experiences :) ).

File manager is not intuitive enough - for copy/paste and move operations for example.

Also, I had it happen once that Clipboard options were not present, even though clipboard wasn't empty (looked like a bug). Couldn't reproduce it twice. Did this happen to anyone else?

Set up an account for a friend who's experienced with cPanel. He was at it for a few days and had a strong preference for what he was used to (cPanel). This was just honest, no-bullshit feedback. I suppose most people are used to cPanel and that most people fear what they are not familiar with. Not sure how to change the design to help with that, unfortunately.

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Brute force protection. Direct admin moniter brute force logins but it does not block ips.

mustafamw3 said: Brute force protection. Direct admin moniter brute force logins but it does not block ips.

Given they ship with CSF now i think it'd be a good call to auto include the ipban script that's on the forums.

Francisco

Thanked by 1eva2000

@Francisco said:

mustafamw3 said: Brute force protection. Direct admin moniter brute force logins but it does not block ips.

Given they ship with CSF now i think it'd be a good call to auto include the ipban script that's on the forums.

Francisco

Does directadmin provide brute force protection out of box?

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

The one thing I hate about the file manager is not being able to simply move files. Without having to copy them to clipboard and then finding the folder for it to error and say fuck you. Then having to do it all over again.

@mustafamw3 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Does directadmin provide brute force protection out of box?

I...think so?

On Buyshared we have SSH on a different port and fail2ban handling basically everything else.

Francisco

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited December 2019

^ As said before CSF should be configured to handle brute force, with no need for the additional admin of fail2ban. CSF handles additional log monitoring, if needs be, and we just need a DirectAdmin specific regex to detect the brute force login.

.. to auto include the ipban script that's on the forums.

That script is full of bad assumptions (not just ssh port) and tries to tackle methods that are already a part of CSF.

I am using plesk . In plesk you can change webserver from apache to nignx easily . you can also make one domain work on apache while other domain work on nginx . I hope directadmin will add this feature
    I have a question too
    does directadmin allow you to change php configurations without need to CLI ?
    Best regards

• mustafamw3 said: does directadmin allow you to change php configurations without need to CLI ?

Yes.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • You can't use an admin@ email on your main domain because it uses it for the Admin user.

• Pre-release now includes:

• Modern icon set
    • Dark mode
    • Switch between logged in accounts in 1-click

Those are available on https://demo.directadmin.com:2222 too. We'll be looking forward for the suggestions/feedback :smile:

Happy New Year!!!

• @tester4 said:
    You can't use an admin@ email on your main domain because it uses it for the Admin user.

You may just create a new user with that domain name and you'll be able to create it then. Or just use default admin@ mailbox for this purpose if you'd like admin to be the owner of that domain.

• @smtalk said:
    Pre-release now includes:

• Modern icon set
    • Dark mode

Those are available on https://demo.directadmin.com:2222 too. We'll be looking forward for the suggestions/feedback :smile:

Happy New Year!!!

Those Modern/Flat icons look good!

Thanked by 2Francisco smtalk

@smtalk said:
    Pre-release now includes:

• Modern icon set
    • Dark mode

Happy New Year!!!

Looks great :D

Francisco

Thanked by 1smtalk
  • I noticed the patch going through for phpmyadmin (and BFM) on the latest update.
    No progress on leveraging CSF instead. :'(

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    I noticed the patch going through for phpmyadmin (and BFM) on the latest update.
    No progress on leveraging CSF instead. :'(

They've added our path to their default codebase for login failure detection :smile: Newest version of CustomBuild shouldn't show any warnings, in addition to this - phpMyAdmin 5.0 is now supported.

Regarding CSF - in the list, no ETA at this moment though. Versions entry: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2617

Thank you for the feedback.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • AlwaysSkint said: IMO, there's a fundamental functional/documentation problem with DA. A series of manual steps/procedures in various places, with no indication on what is current/applicable. There's little point applying something from, say a year ago, that might break the efforts in later releases.

https://docs.directadmin.dev is ready for the first feedback :smile: It doesn't have a lot of threads at the moment, but we'll keep filling the latest/updated data there. Suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @smtalk said:

AlwaysSkint said: IMO, there's a fundamental functional/documentation problem with DA. A series of manual steps/procedures in various places, with no indication on what is current/applicable. There's little point applying something from, say a year ago, that might break the efforts in later releases.

https://docs.directadmin.dev is ready for the first feedback :smile: It doesn't have a lot of threads at the moment, but we'll keep filling the latest/updated data there. Suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Layout looks a bit messed up on Chrome: https://imgur.com/a/NUAZuGF

If it helps, my laptop screen's resolution is 1920x1080 with 125% scaling. Running Chrome Version 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit).

The docs structure look great, everything's all in one easy-to-navigate site.

Thanked by 1smtalk
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited December 2019

definitelyliam said: everything's all in one easy-to-navigate site

Not quite! Getting Started section links to old docs.
    Still it's progress. :-)

• @AlwaysSkint said:

definitelyliam said: everything's all in one easy-to-navigate site

Not quite! Getting Started section links to old docs.
    Still it's progress. :-)

Yes, because not all the articles have been migrated yet :smile: There won't be any help.directadmin.com URLs there in the future.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint