Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 30
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• DirectAdmin should sell a limited quantity of the old lifetime licenses this BF :D

• @imok said:
    DirectAdmin should sell a limited quantity of the old lifetime licenses this BF :D

@DA_Mark

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I’m sure I already asked this @DA_Mark

Thanked by 2imok Sofia_K
  • I agree, like 1-2 max per account.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • Me as user/client, there's no big problem using DA. Can be better, if

• Add feature backup to cloud storage
    • One click login to phpmyadmin. Now, I need to open configuration file to get user & pass everytime want to use pma
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@daftarweb said:
    Me as user/client, there's no big problem using DA. Can be better, if

• One click login to phpmyadmin. Now, I need to open configuration file to get user & pass everytime want to use pma

PMA login can be enabled, but it's off by default.

I'd love to see the PHPMyAdmin in the primary dashboard login directly instead of having to go into MySQL Configuration.

Francisco

• AiONetsAiONets Member
    edited November 2019

As a web-hosting owner, I believe something like feature manager in cPanel is really needed in DA.

We are moving our servers to DA but not having this feature is limiting our flexibility and automation of our tasks big time.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2019

@AiONets said:
    As a web-hosting owner, I believe something like feature manager in cPanel is really needed in DA.

We are moving our servers to DA but not having this feature is limiting our flexibility and automation of our tasks big time.

I think that'd be a great addition, especially for companies (like BuyShared) that don't provide access to the NodeJS Selector and such, so hiding those icons would be nice.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@daftarweb said:

I'd love to see the PHPMyAdmin in the primary dashboard login directly instead of having to go into MySQL Configuration.

Francisco

I said this on the forums and they claimed it was already possible but does not work for me.

• @desfire said:

@Francisco said:

@daftarweb said:

Francisco

I said this on the forums and they claimed it was already possible but does not work for me.

Works on @MikePT 's myw.pt servers.
    On the main CP page, grouped with other "Extra features".

Thanked by 2Ympker MikePT
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2019

@bikegremlin said:

@desfire said:

@Francisco said:

@daftarweb said:

Francisco

@MikePT 's the man. Thanks Mike :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@bikegremlin said:

@desfire said:

@Francisco said:

@daftarweb said:

Francisco

Definitely! :D

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@desfire said:

@Francisco said:

@daftarweb said:

Francisco

@MikePT 's the man. Thanks Mike :)

My pleasure. <3

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • So now that it has been a few months... What's the best way to install DirectAdmin? There was this blog post from the creator of centminmod that showed on great detail ways to setup DA. Is that blog post still relevant or is the official documentation now ... at least decent?

• @Hxxx said:
    So now that it has been a few months... What's the best way to install DirectAdmin? There was this blog post from the creator of centminmod that showed on great detail ways to setup DA. Is that blog post still relevant or is the official documentation now ... at least decent?

Why? The instructions on their website works perfectly fine for me.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited November 2019

I still don't get the purpose of Brute Force Monitor..
    IP: 92.118.38.55 Login Failures: 14288 Blocked: No (in red)
    IP: 193.56.28.159 Login Failures: 1794 Blocked: No (in red)
    Plus literally hundreds thousands against 'usernames'.

WTF?
    Never get this crap from cPanel/CSF integration; three strikes and you're out! "Simples".

BFM doesn't show in GUI on a different, later installation. :-/

to do the phpadmin and webmail single sign on I had to run each line separately.

The bruteforce monitor doesn't seem to work very well.... I often get IP blocked, but it still seems to slip through till manually blocked in CSF.

• AiONetsAiONets Member
    edited November 2019

I have 3 DA servers,

2 FreeBSD which I connected/synced IPFW of FreeBSD to BruteForce using this how-to that I wrote:
    https://aionets.com/directadmin/how-install-ipfw-on-freebsd-8-9-11-directadmin/

(please dont forget to back up your server in case of using my how to, and whitelist your static IP first. - if you have one )

And it works perfectly.

However, on my third server which is powered by CloudLinux and it's not working perfectly.

I found these how-to articles from DA and I am going to try them now, hopefully it would solve the problem. Please let me know if you have tried it as well.

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=380
    and
    https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=404

• @Hxxx said:
    So now that it has been a few months... What's the best way to install DirectAdmin? There was this blog post from the creator of centminmod that showed on great detail ways to setup DA. Is that blog post still relevant or is the official documentation now ... at least decent?

Simply:
    wget directadmin.com/setup.sh
    chmod +x setup.sh
    ./setup.sh auto

That's it :smile:

edited November 2019

^ Would rather have an official mechanism in place, thanks, especially where firewall/security is concerned.

Bug: In CustomBuild set notifications to no, then Save, confirmation displays the change to no but the pulldown remains at yes. Not synching?

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    I still don't get the purpose of Brute Force Monitor..
    IP: 92.118.38.55 Login Failures: 14288 Blocked: No (in red)
    IP: 193.56.28.159 Login Failures: 1794 Blocked: No (in red)
    Plus literally hundreds thousands against 'usernames'.

WTF?
    Never get this crap from cPanel/CSF integration; three strikes and you're out! "Simples".

BFM doesn't show in GUI on a different, later installation. :-/

Hm.. was it "setup.sh auto" installation method? If not, your CSF might not be integrated with BFM. You may do it manually though (#3 from https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=527). Which service was bruteforced there?

• I recall there was some custom stuff you might want to add during setup, like skins/themes

@smtalk said:

@Hxxx said:

Simply:
    wget directadmin.com/setup.sh
    chmod +x setup.sh
    ./setup.sh auto

That's it :smile:

edited November 2019

smtalk said: Which service was bruteforced there?

brute_log_entries.list is 5.08 MB
    Exim - basically a dictionary attack for email username.

IMO, there's a fundamental functional/documentation problem with DA. A series of manual steps/procedures in various places, with no indication on what is current/applicable. There's little point applying something from, say a year ago, that might break the efforts in later releases.

smtalk said: Hm.. was it "setup.sh auto" installation method

Let's see if I can find that from the beginning of the saved bash history..

EDIT:

./setup.sh auto

vs

./setup.sh 59xxx 195xxx da1xx.xxxxxx.net eth0 185.121.xx.xx auto

edited November 2019

Downloaded to check - a lot of un-needed crap in there, including the enforcement of a particular port range for sFTP - no thanks, I'll set that myself.
    Grabbing:

wget --no-check-certificate -O block_ip.sh http://files.plugins-da.net/dl/csf_block_ip.sh.txt
    wget --no-check-certificate -O unblock_ip.sh http://files.plugins-da.net/dl/csf_unblock_ip.sh.txt
    wget --no-check-certificate -O show_blocked_ips.sh http://files.plugins-da.net/dl/csf_show_blocked_ips.sh.txt
    wget --no-check-certificate -O brute_force_notice_ip.sh http://files.directadmin.com/services/all/brute_force_notice_ip.sh

To check contents.

EDIT: Got a bit through 1st script and thought "that's horrendous!" - masses of duplication plus manual intervention required to define ports. There is only one (1) thing needed and that is to detect Brute Force on the DA login; all other stuff is handled natively in CSF. We just need a suitable custom regex (which I can't fathom) in CSF to detect failed DA logins.
    KISS.

Example:
    if (($globlogs{CUSTOM1_LOG}{$lgfile}) and ($line =~ /^\S+\s+\d+\s+\S+ \S+ pure-ftpd: (\?\@(\d+.;\d+.\d+.\d+))
    [WARNING] Authentication failed for user/)) {
    return ("Failed myftpmatch login from",$1,"myftpmatch","5","20,21","1","0");
    }

• Thanks for trying to help, BTW. I am appreciative.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2019
    1. There should be a display of Load Average like cPanel.
    2. The Build Plugin builds like EasyApache 3, it should be like EA4 (rpm based).
    3. CloudFlare Railgun will be a great advantage.
    4. PHP Ini editor in GUI Mode (without CloudLinux, By Default).
  • @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    1. There should be a display of Load Average like cPanel.
    2. The Build Plugin builds like EasyApache 3, it should be like EA4 (rpm based).
    3. CloudFlare Railgun will be a great advantage.
    4. PHP Ini editor in GUI Mode (without CloudLinux, By Default).

Extra features -> Resource usage
    offers resource load/usage graphs, like cPanel's one (when CloudLinux is used).

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Unless I've missed something somewhere, the option to use external MX when setting up an account would be good - otherwise the initial email is never delivered if email address is on the same domain as the account.

• @Mr_Tom said:
    Unless I've missed something somewhere, the option to use external MX when setting up an account would be good - otherwise the initial email is never delivered if email address is on the same domain as the account.

Explained:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/11200/mxroute-email/#8

(scroll down to DirectAdmin section).

My DirectAdmin feedback log:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/13269/directadmin-experience/

Thanked by 2Mr_Tom MikePT
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

bikegremlin said: Explained:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/11200/mxroute-email/#8
    (scroll down to DirectAdmin section).

Yeah, I can configure it after adding the user account, but it needs a cpanel style "remote mail mx" when adding the account.

If I add a user with domain1.com, and their email address is [email protected] they'll never receive the account setup email.