Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fastpipe.io - SSD Cloud Servers (KVM) - Frankfurt, Germany - Free BGP starting at 2,95€! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

fastpipe.io - SSD Cloud Servers (KVM) - Frankfurt, Germany - Free BGP starting at 2,95€!

Comments

• drivexdrivex Member

One of the biggest issues i‘m having with combahton is the lack of features in their control panel. You can‘t mount custom ISOs, you can‘t manually install an OS (only autoinstall) and there is no rescue mode. So if something goes wrong, you can‘t fix it by yourself.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @combahton_it maybe you should also make clear, that only the first VPL is free and every additional is charged with 10€ / month. No rescue mode for VPS... mmmeh

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@drivex said:
    One of the biggest issues i‘m having with combahton is the lack of features in their control panel. You can‘t mount custom ISOs, you can‘t manually install an OS (only autoinstall) and there is no rescue mode. So if something goes wrong, you can‘t fix it by yourself.

I see.

I thought that they allow custom ISOs, perhaps via ticket. You mean that there's no way for a user to mount an ISO?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @combahton_it, by the way... norway is outside eu too! so do i have to choose Norway [NO] or Outside of the EU / Not listed?

• @ilBarista said:
    @combahton_it maybe you should also make clear, that only the first VPL is free and every additional is charged with 10€ / month. No rescue mode for VPS... mmmeh

Does that mean connecting 10 servers within same private lan will cost €90 because the first one is free and others are charged?

@drivex said:

As well as for HaaS, no API and nothing in control panel :neutral:

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • drivexdrivex Member
    edited May 2019

@angstrom said:

@drivex said:

I see.

I thought that they allow custom ISOs, perhaps via ticket. You mean that there's no way for a user to mount an ISO?

Nope, at least i didn‘t found it. No way to mount an ISO by yourself. Every SolusVM provider has this feature....

Custom ISOs isn‘t a must have, but i don‘t like providers where i can‘t install the OS by myself instead of using autoinstall. Because cloud-init etc will always have a backdoor. For example even when you change your hostname after installation, it gets reverted to the old one after rebooting the machine.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@drivex said:

@angstrom said:

@drivex said:

I see.

Nope, at least i didn‘t found it. No way to mount an ISO by yourself. Every SolusVM provider has this feature....

Custom ISOs isn‘t a must have, but i don‘t like providers where i can‘t install the OS by myself instead of using autoinstall. Because cloud-init etc will always have a backdoor. For example even when you change your hostname after installation, it gets reverted to the old one after rebooting the machine.

I see. Given what you describe, their panel doesn't seem very flexible.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited May 2019

@uptime said:

In case you are non EU or non Germany, the price applies as net as there needs to be no tax dissipated on our side.
    You can comprehend both in our order process as well as your invoice.

I oftentimes am finding myself with the experience of an immensified enjoyment in the reading of this style of translated-to-English clarification and all earnest attempts herewith thereto! :)

(Though I am quite sure it is exponentially more understandable than any attempt I might make to communicate Germanically, so fair enough.)

Retranslated (if I understand corrctly):

For non-EU customers, combahton does not need to apply tax, and so the total cost charged to non-EU customers is reduced accordingly to reflect the net price without tax. This will be evident both in the order process and your invoice.

I think you got it wrong. afaik they do it like webtropia. the displayed prices simply include all taxes. if there are no taxes, then the price displayed is the one without.

this mean they'll always charge 2.95€/5.25€/etc. (depending what package)

if it's towards any EU customer where some VAT applies, that's included in that price (and gets forwarded to the tax authorities). if not than it's just 5.25€ and no deduction at all ... @combahton_it feel free to correct me, if I got it wrong here.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited May 2019

Regarding VAT , the list price includes VAT for EU customers.

However the same list price is nett for non EU customers. At least that's how my ticket was answered. So my interpretation is that the same price worldwide

• CrelingCreling Member
    edited May 2019

angstrom said: "troubled" would >also be too strong in this case. You could simply say:
    "I'm wondering about how the tax rate is calculated."

aha, get it, thank you~

@cybertech said:
    Regarding VAT , the list price includes VAT for EU customers.

However the same list price is nett for non EU customers. At least that's how my ticket was answered. So my interpretation is that the same price worldwide

Ah, then I also misunderstood this (and have been misinforming people as a result). :neutral: (Sorry, @Creling.)

So it's a version of netcup's strategy.

• I can copy @drivex - and you won't get this support ( iso mount etc. ) afaik out of their business hours. E.g. with Vultr you can nearly do anything of the missing points 24/7 for "critical" issues imho a showstopper ( however we talk about "low-end" ;-) )

• @combahton_it thx for clarifying the mtr-thing with your ICMP-policy.

• @alexvolk said:

@ilBarista said:
    @combahton_it maybe you should also make clear, that only the first VPL is free and every additional is charged with 10€ / month. No rescue mode for VPS... mmmeh

Does that mean connecting 10 servers within same private lan will cost €90 because the first one is free and others are charged?

No, what it means, you have e.g. 10 servers in 2 groups. Think like a private Vlan. 5 in vlan10 and 5 in vlan20 ( 2 VPL ), you would be charged 10€ / month.

You would separate / isolate yours servers e.g. for different customers or different use-cases. Like VPL-1 FW -> web server -> 2x mysqlserver etc. ( your web and sql-server are protected via your FW and external access is only available trough your FW ). Then a second group with eg FW2 -> mailserver , database, whatever. )

Servers can only communicate inside their VPL ( virtual private lan, how they call it )

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • @drivex said:

Really? Si no easy way to do a something as basic as a custom install?

If something goes wrong, the backups can bring you back in time. Sure rescue mode is important. Is that a feature that will be added in the future, @combahton_it ?

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2019

@datanoise said:

@drivex said:

Really? Si no easy way to do a something as basic as a custom install?

If something goes wrong, the backups can bring you back in time. Sure rescue mode is important. Is that a feature that will be added in the future, @combahton_it ?

We will rather add the possibility to mount a different set of ISOs for well known Linux, BSD and Windows versions, including also live images like GRML and SysrescueCD. The possibility to upload your own ISO images over TLS encrypted FTP is also an topic we are working on.

@ilBarista said:
    I can copy @drivex - and you won't get this support ( iso mount etc. ) afaik out of their business hours. E.g. with Vultr you can nearly do anything of the missing points 24/7 for "critical" issues imho a showstopper ( however we talk about "low-end" ;-) )

We do provide also 24/7 emergency support for customers with mission critical Dedicated Servers, Colocation or other services. However, for Cloud Servers we dont do that for free. A 2,95€ box for example wouldnt cover the expenditure for such a service. However, if you need 24/7 Support, feel free to contact our customer service - we will make you an offer.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • combahton_it said: We will rather add the possibility to mount a different set of ISOs for well known Linux, BSD and Windows versions, including also live images like GRML and SysrescueCD.

That would be great!

• CrelingCreling Member

angstrom said: Ah, then I also misunderstood this (and have been misinforming people as a result). :neutral: (Sorry, @Creling.)

aha, not at all ( ̄▽ ̄)"

• @ilBarista said:
    I can copy @drivex - and you won't get this support ( iso mount etc. ) afaik out of their business hours. E.g. with Vultr you can nearly do anything of the missing points 24/7 for "critical" issues imho a showstopper ( however we talk about "low-end" ;-) )

We do provide also 24/7 emergency support for customers with mission critical Dedicated Servers, Colocation or other services. However, for Cloud Servers we dont do that for free. A 2,95€ box for example wouldnt cover the expenditure for such a service. However, if you need 24/7 Support, feel free to contact our customer service - we will make you an offer.

absolut understandable from financial point. Maybe 24/7 wouldn't be even necessary if most of the points above ( own iso, rescue iso ) would be available ;-)

@ilBarista said:

@ilBarista said:

absolut understandable from financial point. Maybe 24/7 wouldn't be even necessary if most of the points above ( own iso, rescue iso ) would be available ;-)

You can be sure that we take customer requirements very serious, especially as it seems lots of people seem to profit from it. The corresponding feature can be expected to be released by the next release (~2 weeks) ;)

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @combahton_it said:

Currently we dont support cpu passthrough by default. However, we will turn on AES as cpu instruction on request - feel free to open a ticket :)

I refer to ticket #766463261 which did not approve request to turn on AES.

• combahton_it said: we take customer requirements very serious

AES flag by default (or an easy way to enable it) seems to be of interest for many customers - and could likely be interesting for you, lowering a bit the load on the nodes.

@datanoise said:

combahton_it said: we take customer requirements very serious

AES flag by default (or an easy way to enable it) seems to be of interest for many customers - and could likely be interesting for you, lowering a bit the load on the nodes.

Unfortunately this is not possible with every node. Load on our nodes doesnt matter that much, as our capacity planning will even cover customers doing 100% on all cores at all time.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • ilBaristailBarista Member
    edited May 2019

@combahton_it was it always proxmox backend?

edit: well to be honest, using proxmox and demanding 10€ monthly per VPL ( virtual privat lan ) is kind of rip-off ...

edited May 2019

@ilBarista said:

We use Proxmox with KVM since our early days in 2012. However, the whole infrastructure around is self built and uses heavily our own scripts, software and puppet modules. Only the core is nowadays proxmox based and not vanilla kvm.

edited May 2019

@ilBarista said:

edit: well to be honest, using proxmox and demanding 10€ monthly per VPL ( virtual privat lan ) is kind of rip-off ...

Why is that a rip-off, would it make any difference if we would use vanilla kvm beside that, which would have exactly the same infrastructural effort to be done to be even able to provide it? :smile:

The only thing our VPLs depend on Proxmox is the interface which is attached to your server. The rest is completely self developed. Proxmox does not provide such a feature.

• @combahton_it said:
    Why is that a rip-off, would it make any difference if we would use vanilla kvm beside that, which would have exactly the same infrastructural effort to be done to be even able to provide it? :smile:

Let me try to explain.

Fastpipe is a "cloud" project of your company. Right?

Why we should pay for something that has been already free everywhere in a "cloud" world?

I haven't seen for a long time fee based private network for cloud servers. There are only two choices if it's available - free otherwise it's completely disabled.

Your servers pricing might be ok. However:

• charging extra for multiple private networks?
    • expensive HaaS* (load balancer)?

Make multiple private networks free for all servers and reduce pricing for HaaS* and you'll get more customers.

* on a case by case pricing is really hard to estimate monthly payment.
    * even scaleway load balancer is cheap and unlimited in backend servers as well as ports.

Hi @alexvolk, we will think about it, you can expect some news in that direction in the future - currently there is still alot to do in order to extend our features in the mentioned direction ;-)

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited May 2019

@combahton_it said:
    Hi @alexvolk, we will think about it, you can expect some news in that direction in the future - currently there is still alot to do in order to extend our features in the mentioned direction ;-)

Sounds good. Actually the last thing that is missing for myself at least.

• a clear and reasonable price for load balancer
    • plans and limits clearly defined on a website for it
    • price should be like scaleway maybe?

You'll ask why cheap? It will make a sense to keep everything inside your "cloud" :wink:

Forgot to say, your business shouldn't invest much time/money in a ddos protection, it's a resource hungry (again time/money) and doesn't make sense for %99.9 of customers. There are already good protection services with more bandwidth to handle attacks. Instead just focus on features and pricing :smiley:

@alexvolk you may dont know that our ddos protection is well known in Germany and widely used by some service providers. Of course it's one of our main business areas. As you dont have any control and most times bad network quality with external service providers, we run our own ddos protection since 2013.

Thanked by 1alexvolk