Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BunnyCDN 2019 Easter Offer: 25% Payment Bonus + $5 FREE Promo Code - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BunnyCDN 2019 Easter Offer: 25% Payment Bonus + $5 FREE Promo Code

Comments

• @datanoise said:

eva2000 said: don't get used balance wise while my clients can push 3-4 $$$$ figures monthly through the CDNs I recommend and evaluate for them

That's probably one of the reasons why some of the big players (cloudfront for example) don't have any minimum: you use 15 cents/month? No need to pay more! IMO it makes sense, as it's not because a customer doesn't bring you much money that he'll not recommend you to big customers and/or grow bigger some time in the future and keep using your service.

BunnyCDN situation is somewhat different though as you can keep your balance if you keep adding more funds to your account (which can also appear like a trap to very small users: would you rather loose that $48 balance or add $10?) - and their pricing is really good.

I'm pretty sure if bunny's pricing were similar to that of the big players, they won't need the 'minimum charge'.

Thanked by 3Wolf lukehebb vimalware
  • TionTion Member
    edited April 2019

I believe BunnyCDN should rephrase the whole credit thing. As a new user you don't see the $10 per year minmum thing. The very last sentence on the homepage even says "No minimums and no commitments."
    Even in the backend you don't see any mention of the minimum limit unless you either read the documentation or add your payment details. When the user sees the limit he feels like he wasted money instead of getting a cdn service for $10 per year. The user experience feels bad.

Edit: Videogame companies turn money into their own currency to enforce the user feeling that there is not money sitting idly in the videocompanies bank account but shiny gems waiting to be spent. Not that I want to see BunnyPoints next week but it showcases how important the user experience is.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited April 2019

sanvit said: need

Indeed. Different pricing strategy.

Tion said: As a new user you don't see the $10 per year minmum thing. The very last sentence on the homepage even says "No minimums and no commitments."

Well, their pricing page indicates clearly:

"We don't enforce any monthly minimums and only require a minimum $10 recharge every year."

It's on the OP as well. Written clearly enough to keep some of us from ordering (which is a good thing as it avoids some support tickets from disappointed customers when said credit expires like mentioned by @BunnySpeed :wink:).

Internet marketing tricks...

• @Tion said:
    I believe BunnyCDN should rephrase the whole credit thing. As a new user you don't see the $10 per year minmum thing. The very last sentence on the homepage even says "No minimums and no commitments."
    Even in the backend you don't see any mention of the minimum limit unless you either read the documentation or add your payment details. When the user sees the limit he feels like he wasted money instead of getting a cdn service for $10 per year. The user experience feels bad.

Edit: Videogame companies turn money into their own currency to enforce the user feeling that there is not money sitting idly in the videocompanies bank account but shiny gems waiting to be spent. Not that I want to see BunnyPoints next week but it showcases how important the user experience is.

@BunnySpeed you should change the 'no minimums' part I think. And as @Tion said, something like CDN credits would be nice too. Instead of $10 left in your account, something like 1000 CDN credits left, and NA/EU is 1credit/gb, Asia is 3credits/gb, etc (if i understood correctly). Nothing different in the pricing, but users get the feeling of they actually got something (cdn credits) in exchange of money, instead of the feeling of money stuck on the CDN.

Thanked by 2Daniel15 vimalware
  • BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2019

I don't think comparing our pricing to CloudFlare makes much sense, because their system was designed around heavy upselling if you actually want decent performance or a big project, which often ends up costing about the same or more than other services.

@sanvit said:

@Tion said:

@BunnySpeed you should change the 'no minimums' part I think. And as @Tion said, something like CDN credits would be nice too. Instead of $10 left in your account, something like 1000 CDN credits left, and NA/EU is 1credit/gb, Asia is 3credits/gb, etc (if i understood correctly). Nothing different in the pricing, but users get the feeling of they actually got something (cdn credits) in exchange of money, instead of the feeling of money stuck on the CDN.

The No Minimums line on the home page seems to be an old paragraph that we forgot to change. We did have no minimums or credit expiry in the past and I'll make sure that gets updated, but I don't think complicating our system like that makes sense. Users would still have credits piling up.

@datanoise said:

sanvit said: need

Indeed. Different pricing strategy.

Tion said: As a new user you don't see the $10 per year minmum thing. The very last sentence on the homepage even says "No minimums and no commitments."

Well, their pricing page indicates clearly:

"We don't enforce any monthly minimums and only require a minimum $10 recharge every year."

It's on the OP as well. Written clearly enough to keep some of us from ordering (which is a good thing as it avoids some support tickets from disappointed customers when said credit expires like mentioned by @BunnySpeed :wink:).

Internet marketing tricks...

That's right, we tried to be quite obvious. It's on the pricing page, FAQ, terms of service, and the expiration time is stated on the billing page. We aren't promoting the service with it on the top of the pricing page, because it makes no sense due to our targeted audience and because the credit does not disappear.

Thanked by 1datanoise
    edited April 2019

Keep in mind this is LET, we do 2+ promotions each year that extend the credits for 3 months each while also giving you $5 in credits. We're basically giving free money, yet some people still complain. Just shows that the current system might be psychologically much worse than simply charging a small fee.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

I think it would be better you just 10x'd your traffic pricing @BunnySpeed - then people might actually use up their free credits!

• datanoise said: That's probably one of the reasons why some of the big players (cloudfront for example) don't have any minimum: you use 15 cents/month? No need to pay more! IMO it makes sense, as it's not because a customer doesn't bring you much money that he'll not recommend you to big customers and/or grow bigger some time in the future and keep using your service.

BunnyCDN situation is somewhat different though as you can keep your balance if you keep adding more funds to your account (which can also appear like a trap to very small users: would you rather loose that $48 balance or add $10?) - and their pricing is really good.

Yeah though some of the big players have better cash flows to be able to do that (no minimums). I had convinced one CDN to rollover my credits but still had to add minimum US$150/yr so after 4+ yrs I had still US$600+ rolled over balance which wasn't used - so had to eventually close the account and eventually some of my clients followed me.

But BunnyCDN's $10 min definitely easier to handle so maybe try them again as I am developing a multi-cdn solution for one client so the best performing cdn solution for each specific geographical regions get used :)

Thanked by 1datanoise
    edited April 2019

BunnySpeed said: yet some people still complain

Discussing != complaining.

Zerpy said: 10x'd your traffic pricing @BunnySpeed - then people might actually use up their free credits!

Wouldn't work out as well for market penetration...

eva2000 said: BunnyCDN's $10 min definitely easier to handle

Sure. I'd definitely recommend you to try them again. From my limited testing it works really, really well for the price. The extra DNS resolution adds a quite a few ms (you could have similar performance will way less locations on a custom reverse proxy + cache setup) but that's common to most CDN providers. Results, even including the extra DNS resolution was really good from most locations I tried, including the most 'exotic' ones.

eva2000 said: multi-cdn solution

Sounds cool. Will it be at the DNS level?

• @BunnySpeed said:
    Keep in mind this is LET, we do 2+ promotions each year that extend the credits for 3 months each while also giving you $5 in credits. We're basically giving free money, yet some people still complain. Just shows that the current system might be psychologically much worse than simply charging a small fee.

I have been a customer since march of 2017, and I've only paied once. If you are really a low-end person and don't want your credit to expire, you should look for promo codes or ask them nicely, not complain about their pricing terms, which is completely reasonable.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • datanoise said: Sounds cool. Will it be at the DNS level?

Just recharged my BunnyCDN again - at some level yes as Cloudflare will be in the mix too.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @eva2000 said:
    Yeah though some of the big players have better cash flows to be able to do that (no minimums). I had convinced one CDN to rollover my credits but still had to add minimum US$150/yr so after 4+ yrs I had still US$600+ rolled over balance which wasn't used - so had to eventually close the account and eventually some of my clients followed me.

Yeah, that's why I left CDN77 too.

• asbasb Member

Hi Dejan - I'm a big fan of your current $10/yr minimum top-up model. People will always have complaints, and I suspect that will still be the case if you changed to introduce a monthly charge.

• no good deed shall go unpunished

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • YuraYura Member

@uptime said:
    no good deed shall go unpunished

Speaking from experience, Julian. I see ya...

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited April 2019

@Yura hmmmm okay you got me, it's a fair cop.

EDIT2: By the way is that my cat in your avatar pic?

Thanked by 1Yura
    edited April 2019

asb said: if you changed to introduce a monthly charge.

Agree with that, it would just make the situation worse for small users.

Pricing as it is is pretty good, once you accept the idea of stacking money there or using another solution unless you're big enough; and I guess that there are good reasons to put the lower limit to 10 bucks/y rather than 5.

BTW I've got a little question for you @BunnySpeed: as DNS resolution time is crucial when adding an extra dns lookup, where are your Anycast DNS servers located? I don't find this information on your website (maybe I missed it!). As some PoPs are shared with other providers I guess there aren't as many DNS servers as PoPs but I could be wrong.

Regarding your recent trouble with b-cdn.net's registrar (as explained on your blog), a possibility to mitigate that kind of problem in the future would be to use several domains, as ovh did with their dedis'hostnames (few years ago everything was nsXXXX.ovh.net, until they faced a similar issue). A less "abuse report sensitive" registrar (eurodns comes to mind as you're based in the EU) would probably avoid that kind of issue, though.

• YuraYura Member
    edited April 2019

@uptime said:
    EDIT2: By the way is that my cat in your avatar pic?

Special Agent Johnson came back to his family in Pennsylvania. He has 12 kids to take care of and we still don't know if severe case of PTSD will permit him to return to service.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • edfoxedfox Member

I just bought 10$ of credits for fun but I thought only promo-code credit expired.

Fuck. Thank you for giving me anxiety, literally panicking rn

• YuraYura Member

@edfox said:
    I just bought 10$ of credits for fun but I thought only promo-code credit expired.

Fuck. Thank you for giving me anxiety, literally panicking rn

Tick-tock... tick-tock...

• edfoxedfox Member

@Yura said:

Tick-tock... tick-tock...

• YuraYura Member

@edfox, what do you think about FWB and watching your extensive image collection on the sofa together?

• BochiBochi Member

Just signed up for the trial to play around with a CDN for the first time in my life.
    As I don't have any experience in this field, my two cents may not be worth much, but: It was so easy and flawless, that I am pretty impressed so far!
    Stats are very up to date too and give nice insight and the configuration options are clear to understand and easy to handle.
    Hoping to find now some use case in the future, so that I can make use of this service. :P

• edfoxedfox Member

@Yura said:
    @edfox, what do you think about FWB and watching your extensive image collection on the sofa together?

Who would resort to watching images when you've got a friend at your disposal?

• williewillie Member

Is it possible to host images imgur-style using Bunny cloud storage? That is, I'd want to upload some pictures and maybe static text files to cloud storage and serve them through the cdn, without running my own origin server or using my own domain names. (It would just be for my own pics/docs, not a public hosting service).

If this is doable, what would the urls look like? Thanks.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@willie said:
    Is it possible to host images imgur-style using Bunny cloud storage? That is, I'd want to upload some pictures and maybe static text files to cloud storage and serve them through the cdn, without running my own origin server or using my own domain names. (It would just be for my own pics/docs, not a public hosting service).

If this is doable, what would the urls look like? Thanks.

You can use their cloud storage. Upload it via FTP and connect to a pull zone. It will look like pullzonename.b-cdn.net/filename or cnamedomainname.com/filename

Thanked by 2uptime willie
  • Hey, any plans on adding PayPal as an payment method? Would love to use your CDN, unfortunately im unable to get CC because of my country laws...

• uptimeuptime Member

@willie - as @sanvit said

here is a writeup straight from the Bunny's mouth: https://support.bunnycdn.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003780169-How-to-upload-and-access-files-from-your-Storage-Zone

Does that answer your question? You can point your own domain to your BunnyCDN subdomain as well.

There are quite a few interesting features and use cases for their system (stuff like optional time-based authorization tokens for expiring links and so forth) so going through their knowledge base is a bit of a whirlwind tour ....

Thanked by 1willie
  • williewillie Member

Sanvit and Uptime, thanks, that is helpful. I'll check the docs over the next few days.

Thanked by 1uptime
    edited May 2019

Quick update for everyone, we're moving forward with our image optimization and on the fly manipulation engine. It automatically converts images into WebP, performs smart resizing and image quality selection. The manipulation engine has URL based resizing, cropping, color manipulation, sharpening etc.

The documentation for the engine can be found at:
    https://support.bunnycdn.com/hc/en-us/articles/360027448392-Bunny-Optimizer-Engine-Documentation

To enable it, there is a new panel in the pull zone settings menu called Optimizer. If your account was not enabled, just let us know and we will apply it manually.

The system is still in early beta testing, but we decided to invite everyone who used the LET code to give it a go and maybe share some feedback. We've already enabled the system for everyone that used the promo code and it's completely free to use for now, but it will be our first paid feature later on.

Any sort of feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Small disclaimer, the system has been tested, but we're still working out some bugs and stability improvements, so apologies beforehand if something breaks.