Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BunnyCDN 2019 Easter Offer: 25% Payment Bonus + $5 FREE Promo Code - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BunnyCDN 2019 Easter Offer: 25% Payment Bonus + $5 FREE Promo Code

Comments

• I've recently dropped cloudflare in exchange for bunnycdn and have been very happy with overall performance so far.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • edited April 2019

OMG I was waiting for a BunnyCDN offer and I lost. I'm definitively frustrated! :neutral:

@BunnySpeed give me a second chance please =]

• KenobisVPSKenobisVPS Member
    edited April 2019

Dang... Just topup-ed my account a few days ago. Guess what... I missed the offer again :(

• Nooooooooooo..... I. Missed the offer :'(

• sinsin Member

Is the Volume Tier decent? Some of my sites have a ton of images with videos and they're already on a server with a great network but I was thinking about speeding it up a little bit with BunnyCDN but wanted to know if I could get away with using the Volume tier.

• @sin said:
    Is the Volume Tier decent? Some of my sites have a ton of images with videos and they're already on a server with a great network but I was thinking about speeding it up a little bit with BunnyCDN but wanted to know if I could get away with using the Volume tier.

If your user base is mostly US/EU based, it shoukd work fine. Especially if your not into minimizing the latency (few more ms for an image should be fine I guess). If your userbase is mostly asian, your users might see some lag when loading the image.

Thanked by 1sin
  • ohh, missed the promocode deal :)

• lionlion Member

Which payment methods do you offer?

• @lion said:

CC and BTC

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@sanvit said:

@lion said:

CC and BTC

They do accept CC via Braintree payments

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

If anyone missed the promo but still would like to get the 25% top up bonus, just drop us a ticket.

@evnix said:
    @BunnySpeed The price is very lucrative, the only thing stopping me from using this is that I couldn't find anything related to load balancing?

I currently use cloudflare and fastly for some projects, wherein I just specify a list of IPs:ports and it does the rest.

I am pretty sure the concept should remain the same where instead of defaulting to 80/443 you would pick the port set by the customer.

This saves me from having to manage another single-point-failure server(with HaProxy or Nginx) purely for load balancing.

You can actually specify a port, just do something like http(s)://myorigin.com:9000 and it will use port 9000.

• BunnySpeed said: If anyone missed the promo but still would like to get the 25% top up bonus, just drop us a ticket.

You da best! Just opened an ticket!

• The think what I really respect and like:

When they write truthful information and don't try to seem better than they really are. It speaks about professionalism and adequacy of the company.
    While otheres (many companies), some small CDN would display something like that: "more than 100.000 people use our services.", or even better "billions of request processed!*"

* is based on daily attendance, or on the number of all registered users

(who doesn't know, usually only 10-20% of the number of registered users are more or less active when 80% in any project, under any circumstances - empty, dead accounts (and this is normal practice)).

• The ability to recharge an account for one year with a smaller amount or, even better, to add some funds that can be used without limit in the future would be great for people with very small needs and for whom it wouldn't make sense to add 10$/y; even if this is only possible within a limited time frame (another type of special maybe?).

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@datanoise said:
    The ability to recharge an account for one year with a smaller amount or, even better, to add some funds that can be used without limit in the future would be great for people with very small needs and for whom it wouldn't make sense to add 10$/y; even if this is only possible within a limited time frame (another type of special maybe?).

Running the infrastructure and having it sitting there waiting to serve requests costs money. Having a minimum charge of $10/year is more then reasonable.

If you're needs are that small that you're not happy paying $10/year for the service, do you really need a CDN?

• I agree with @trewq it wouldn’t be viable for Bunny to offer anything less than $10/y minimum. This is still far cheaper than their competitors pricing structures and for the service they offer real value for money in my mind.

• Agreed, it's literally less than $1 /month.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited April 2019

@austenite said:
    Agreed, it's literally less than $1 /month.

(from a different thread, a year ago)

@BunnySpeed said:
    The $10 per year minimum recharge is there because I didn't want to force users to monthly payments and have the ability to use it whenever they want, but as Zerpy said there is a level of costs associated with support etc. and storing your files as well. Even if you're using just 1GB per month, we still need space on nodes to store that and have servers holding your configuration, logging, etc. Imagine paying

However, the system itself might seem annoying to a user if they just ignore all of this and think they're somehow losing money. Strangely if it cost $1 per month with some bandwidth included I guess that would be fine.

EDIT2: good to see how BunnyCDN has grown ...

Here's my "low end" perspective on the $10/yr recharge requirement in light of the free $5 to try.

Use the $5 voucher to try it for 90 days.

Then you'll know if you want to spend $10 per year on it going forward - or not.

Even without needing CDN features, the $0.01/GB storage is economical for something like 100 GB (which would add up to $12 per year). (Consider having the option to make use of CDN features and network just as a bonus.)

And of course if you already know you "need" a CDN then you know $10 per year minimum is a very small amount to be concerned with anyway.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited April 2019

trewq said: Running the infrastructure and having it sitting there waiting to serve requests costs money. Having a minimum charge of $10/year is more then reasonable.

It is reasonable but if you don't have big files to serve OR quite a bit of traffic the 10$ can last way longer than a year, and adding 10 bucks year after year without using the credit makes little sense imo.

unless... you try to make full use of what they offer:

uptime said: Even without needing CDN features, the $0.01/GB storage is economical for something like 100 GB (which would add up to $12 per year). (Consider having the option to make use of CDN features and network just as a bonus.)

Using the storage is probably a way to spend more than the little traffic some LET users only need.

uptime said: And of course if you already know you "need" a CDN then you know $10 per year minimum is a very small amount to be concerned with anyway.

Indeed, but if you don't really need a CDN but feel like it would be a nice addition to your setup, justifying 10$/y can be difficult for some small projects.

BTW @trewq once the infrastructure is up and running having some small periods of time where some users who otherwise wouldn't use your service can recharge their accounts and use say 2 or 3$/y likely won't hurt: most "normal" users will still use the "normal" pricing (I doubt there are many people paying 10$/y to actually use just 1or 2$, but that's a possibility - would be a weird business model though) and it can attract users who might grow and end up spending much more on the platform.

Limiting the number of users with no real "need" (if such thing really exists!) for a CDN on a CDN platform is probably a good decision though, ecologically speaking.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @datanoise said:
    The ability to recharge an account for one year with a smaller amount or, even better, to add some funds that can be used without limit in the future would be great for people with very small needs and for whom it wouldn't make sense to add 10$/y; even if this is only possible within a limited time frame (another type of special maybe?).

I believed this gotta to do with credit card processing fee or min charge that BrainTree imposed on BunnyCDN so if they gonna charge less than $10 for every transaction then it is not economical viable.

KeyCDN is $45/yr so go figure...

Thanked by 2datanoise uptime
  • BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2019

@datanoise said:

trewq said: Running the infrastructure and having it sitting there waiting to serve requests costs money. Having a minimum charge of $10/year is more then reasonable.

It is reasonable but if you don't have big files to serve OR quite a bit of traffic the 10$ can last way longer than a year, and adding 10 bucks year after year without using the credit makes little sense imo.

uptime said: Even without needing CDN features, the $0.01/GB storage is economical for something like 100 GB (which would add up to $12 per year). (Consider having the option to make use of CDN features and network just as a bonus.)

Using the storage is probably a way to spend more than the little traffic some LET users only need.

uptime said: And of course if you already know you "need" a CDN then you know $10 per year minimum is a very small amount to be concerned with anyway.

Indeed, but if you don't really need a CDN but feel like it would be a nice addition to your setup, justifying 10$/y can be difficult for some small projects.

BTW @trewq once the infrastructure is up and running having some small periods of time where some users who otherwise wouldn't use your service can recharge their accounts and use say 2 or 3$/y likely won't hurt: most "normal" users will still use the "normal" pricing (I doubt there are many people paying 10$/y to actually use just 1or 2$, but that's a possibility - would be a weird business model though) and it can attract users who might grow and end up spending much more on the platform.

Limiting the number of users with no real "need" (if such thing really exists!) for a CDN on a CDN platform is probably a good decision though, ecologically speaking.

@datanoise said:

@datanoise said:

Let me start by saying that this has been on my mind for a few months now due similar messages coming from a small number of our users, so I might be a bit long with this one.

We do the $10 minimum recharge per year to ensure we can cover the infrastructure, support and development costs etc. For example, even if your file gets accessed just a few times, we still need to keep it in cache if possible, keep your zone details in our routing engine, keep statistics and database for your account and so much more. We also need to continue the development, pay ourselves, and take potentially hours supporting a single ticket you make once in a year. You can quickly see where this is going in terms of our costs.

I understand that this might be hard psychologically since your money is at risk of just "vanishing" despite not doing any traffic. But if you stop for a second and think about it, this is not because we are a big bad service taking your money, it's our way of trying to be nice to you. Instead of charging you a monthly fee straight up like the majority of other services, we allow you to add and carry over your balance every year and use that whenever you need that is also lower than the minimum monthly payment compared to pretty much any other CDN.

After 3 years, if you still have $29.95 on your account, this is not because you have so little traffic that it's only fair. It's actually because we're trying to be nice to you, while still keeping a minimum monthly fee that allows us to continue to grow and operate. If in the future, you suddenly get a great idea or traffic surge, the $29.95 will still be waiting for you. Even though we did technically have costs associated with you for 3 years, you will only be potentially effectively charged 5 cents for it.

Unfortunately, in some cases like this, even after explaining the system and why we do it, users will still get upset with us. We do have quite a few users just using a few cents per year in fact, and mostly the complaints come from them. We actually had a few special cases that would rather not pay after 12 months, switch to a different service and pay them $5 per month, just because they somehow felt offended. Finally, we have always extended the balance when a user asked nicely.

This is honestly sometimes a little bit upsetting because our own good intentions are getting turned against us, while in reality, the system was designed 100% to benefit the users while allowing us to offer a great quality of service and continue to improve BunnyCDN.

Sometimes I wonder if we should simply start charging a minimum of $1 per month. It somehow feels like some users would be happier with that, despiting getting effectively a much worse deal.

I hope this helps clear up a bit why we do this and however unfair it might seem at first glance, it's just us trying to be nice.

• @eDigital said:

@datanoise said:

KeyCDN is $45/yr so go figure...

It's actually $49/yr

Anyway, I'll say even if they charged $1/mo, that's still a pretty reasonable price. They are a company, which is made to earn money, not give out to some random low-enders who pay them literally few cents a year. Plus, as BunnySpeed said, the credits are stacked up in your account, not getting vanished. And imo $10/yr is damn cheap, even if they took it and not stack up in your account credit.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • YuraYura Member
    edited April 2019

I think people should realize that not all services are meant for every client. They give you trial credit to see if you need such services. They carry over the balance. They charge less than competition. If all of that somehow is still expensive for a site that has no traffic then why not Cloudflare. Just be reasonable.

edit: I just wish that a bunch of naysayers won't stop Bunny from what they are doing and change up entirely to shut up those mufuckers.

• YuraYura Member

Sometimes I wonder if we should simply start charging a minimum of $1 per month. It somehow feels like some users would be happier with that, despiting getting effectively a much worse deal.

I'm ok with $10 top ups!

Thanked by 2datanoise vimalware
  • sanvitsanvit Member
    edited April 2019

@Yura said:
    I think people should realize that not all services are meant for every client. They give you trial credit to see if you need such services. They carry over the balance. They charge less than competition. If all of that somehow is still expensive for a site that has no traffic then why not Cloudflare. Just be reasonable.

^ This, and especially

edit: I just wish that a bunch of naysayers won't stop Bunny from what they are doing and change up entirely to shut up those mufuckers.

^ THIS

edited April 2019

BunnySpeed said: Sometimes I wonder if we should simply start charging a minimum of $1 per month. It somehow feels like some users would be happier with that, despiting getting effectively a much worse deal.

I hope this helps clear up a bit why we do this and however unfair it might seem at first glance, it's just us trying to be nice.

Well, imo the result for small users would be the same (1$/m vs 10$/y), and of course the ability to keep the remaining credit is really nice. Your pricing doesn't seem unfair to me, but not totally adapted for small users (less than what 10$/2y would be for example - and that wouldn't cause more payment processor fees), but I totally understand that it's part of your strategy. I guess it makes more sense to you mid term/long term, even though it seems to create some support work & it keeps some folks away.

Thanks for your answer & keep up the great work :smiley:

edited April 2019

Yura said: I think people should realize that not all services are meant for every client.

Exactly, and it seems like the Bunny isn't meant for users with a small number of small, well optimized static files. It seems to make sense economically for @BunnySpeed. That's fine.

BTW this was just a suggestion for us cheapos around here, remember that this is low end talk guys. Not implying that they should switch to monthly pricing or whatever.

• lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited April 2019

Just checked. I've got $46.23 in my account on BunnyCDN collecting over the past few years. Do I care that its going up and I can't "spend it"? Not really.

The product is amazing for the price, and its there if I need it. I can understand the reasoning for credit expiry and I really hope that the current pricing and payments model doesn't change

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited April 2019

BunnySpeed said: Unfortunately, in some cases like this, even after explaining the system and why we do it, users will still get upset with us. We do have quite a few users just using a few cents per year in fact, and mostly the complaints come from them. We actually had a few special cases that would rather not pay after 12 months, switch to a different service and pay them $5 per month, just because they somehow felt offended. Finally, we have always extended the balance when a user asked nicely.

I've been one of those folks in the past with various CDN services I use and evaluate so I know what to recommend to my clients. I have very little traffic relative to my clients so all these various CDN accounts some with US$150/yr minimum payments just don't get used balance wise while my clients can push 3-4 $$$$ figures monthly through the CDNs I recommend and evaluate for them. So eventually after years of paying for all these CDN's minimum yearly balances that I don't have the traffic to use, I decided just to close all the accounts and use free alternatives including rolling my own private cdn.

BunnySpeed said: Instead of charging you a monthly fee straight up like the majority of other services, we allow you to add and carry over your balance every year and use that whenever you need that is also lower than the minimum monthly payment compared to pretty much any other CDN.

Nice to read though that BunnySpeed's minimum is just $10/yr though for now.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited April 2019

eva2000 said: don't get used balance wise while my clients can push 3-4 $$$$ figures monthly through the CDNs I recommend and evaluate for them

That's probably one of the reasons why some of the big players (cloudfront for example) don't have any minimum: you use 15 cents/month? No need to pay more! IMO it makes sense, as it's not because a customer doesn't bring you much money that he'll not recommend you to big customers and/or grow bigger some time in the future and keep using your service.

BunnyCDN situation is somewhat different though as you can keep your balance if you keep adding more funds to your account (which can also appear like a trap to very small users: would you rather loose that $48 balance or add $10?) - and their pricing is really good.

Thanked by 1vimalware