Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

questions about starting vpn company? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

questions about starting vpn company?

Comments

• We need a Sri Lankan VPN provider. Pronto. Basic node specs should be hetzner i9 9900K with NVMe.

Thanked by 2eol poisson
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

Spring is here, summer is coming

• I bet $7 USD that he will end up being banned from here in less than 48 hours.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • Starting VPN company is easy, it's the closing part that is hard.

Thanked by 1eol
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

@angstrom said:

Don't forget about spring break hosts.

• @stefeman said:
    I bet $7 USD that he will end up being banned from here in less than 48 hours.

8$.

Start an auction :wink:

• @Kiwi83 said:

@wantvpsinseychelles said:

@Kiwi83 said:
    Start a business selling VPN to Iranian and Chinese!

not sure if troll but people do "do that" or did is all VPN protocols blocked in china and iran these days i can never keep up lol

I'm not kidding you but you need to know the right technology to use and how to market your product to your potential users.

A Canadian VPS provider well-known to Chinese users just started their VPN business last year under another brand. Technically they are not using any VPN protocols but average users don't care the technology behind it. They sell managed Shadowsocks proxy servers with optimized routes to Chinese users. It worked pretty well when I was in China. It's cheaper and faster than most VPN providers(NordVPN, ExpressVPN, Windscribe) I have used before.

Another example is Somagu, a South Korean provider. They have advertised here before. They offer hourly-billed NAT VPS with pre-configured Shadowsocks/OpenVPN/Wireguard templates.

Some people in China actually risk going to jail to sell VPN service. It's very profitable if you do it the right way.

oh so that was what you meant and no i appreciate that information i was unaware shadowsocks being used in that way what a interesting niche market.

but yes the vpn technology is the one area im quite comftorable and i wouldn't sell anything sub par i have run tor relays and exit nodes and worked with helping people in iran circumvent censorship back in like 2013-2014 im aware of the consequences of failing people So I wouldn't do anything as unethical as selling a socks5 client without encryption.

• @stefeman said:
    I bet $7 USD that he will end up being banned from here in less than 48 hours.

why i am not remotely even close to breaking any rules from what i can see?

• @deank said:

@angstrom said:

Don't forget about spring break hosts.

Im not a spring break host ... im not even offering or promoting anything here.

judging by the fact that that only useful input iv'e gotten was "dont sell shitty shadowsocks" here im just guessing no one here has anything useful to say or contribute ill save the trouble and ask staff to close this thread.

Why post on my thread when no one here clearly knows anything about the subject at hand or lacks the capacity to answer any question.

• So what's your capacity ?

• eoleol Member

Don't expect any answer from him.
    He

lacks the capacity to answer any question.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • My 5 cents: apart from learning the correct technology, I'd say study the jurisdiction you plan to keep your VPN assets in, and how will you plan to fulfill your promise "not to keep logs" etc, while avoiding inevitable legal actions.

Also, the VPNs always attract all hues of criminal activity, so prepare the legal docs first, lest end up fleeing the legal actions yourself.

In my opinion, 99.9% of people use VPN without fully understanding what they are trying to do (leaving all possible data leaks channels - from browser fingerprints to running JavaScript and loading all possible tracking images), thus having but an illusion of privacy.

Perhaps you can start with communicating with some well-established privacy-oriented experts, such as Cotse. In the best case, you'll change your mind and won't deal with VPN service. In the worst, you will be much better prepared for possible risks.

• @eol said:
    V"P"Ns or TOR is only there to lure ppl into a false sense of security and to make it easier for TLAs to "sort the interesting bits out."
    There really is no privacy but if you want to raise more suspicion just use those "services".

For unblocking geo restricted content and public wifi protection it's still often cheaper than having vps in x different locations. As long as one doesn't expect to be anonymous when using a vpn the use case is fine.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @cybertech said:
    So what's your capacity ?

Worked at a VPN, ran large websites studied LEA technology and surveillance technology.
    I asked a pretty specific range of reasonable questions got either nonsense answers or people baaawwwing "summer host" at me.

im not some 15 year old minecraft fly by night hosting kid I want to build something genuine so i was seeing if anyone on LET had any knowledge of value to contribute.

feel free to ask me a question about VPN's I don't know the ideal amount about alot of the administrative side and the billing which are for the most part non tech questions..

• @eol said:
    Don't expect any answer from him.
    He

lacks the capacity to answer any question.

he got one.

For people with alot to say about my ability to provide a service by direct avoiding of anything technical im going to go out on a limb and say none of them have run a VPN before or just don't know the answers to incorporation or VPN billing systems.

• For unblocking geo restricted content and public wifi protection it's still often cheaper than having vps in x different locations. As long as one doesn't expect to be anonymous when using a vpn the use case is fine.

yea but for geo unblocking tor isn't viable for alot of things since flash and silverlight and some javascript will de anonymize it but thats fair. VPN by itself won't protect someone from top level threats I deally someone would use a VPN tor transparent proxy and a Windows VPS RDP on the RDP use a seperate VPN + tor transparent proxy again i mean people come up with crazy setups for when the governments trying to kill them etc that seem to work but yea as a general rule a common VPN isnt enough to protect you even non logging high grade encryption ones by itself the human error factor to operational security is far to great.

Control your PMS first. That should be your first step.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • thank you for the first valuable c> @Master_Bo said:

My 5 cents: apart from learning the correct technology, I'd say study the jurisdiction you plan to keep your VPN assets in, and how will you plan to fulfill your promise "not to keep logs" etc, while avoiding inevitable legal actions.

Also, the VPNs always attract all hues of criminal activity, so prepare the legal docs first, lest end up fleeing the legal actions yourself.

In my opinion, 99.9% of people use VPN without fully understanding what they are trying to do (leaving all possible data leaks channels - from browser fingerprints to running JavaScript and loading all possible tracking images), thus having but an illusion of privacy.

Perhaps you can start with communicating with some well-established privacy-oriented experts, such as Cotse. In the best case, you'll change your mind and won't deal with VPN service. In the worst, you will be much better prepared for possible risks.

thank you for the first valuable legal contribution.

Yea im going to do my homework and at the end of the day its a forgone conclusion i will run a VPN and privacy company its been decided along time ago i just never had a good team of people to do it with, but i have got a founder of one such non logging VPN company to help me and might get nordvpn or PIA to maybe partner with me in some fashion Im defintely seeing all my options and trying to learn everything i can.

why would you say in the best case i would change my mind though, running a VPN is not illegal period? someone using your service committing a crime and getting away with it because you do not log might make the government dislike you but PIA,nordvpn,perfect-privacy,cryptocloud,cryptostorm tons of genuine non logging vpns hell OVPN has a open law enforcement letter about how their custom machines cant even store user data.I am aware you can attempt to be sued or legally bullied but as far as criminal liability goes i am unable to find any precident or event attempt at crimializing a VPN service in a western or free country.

• @deank said:
    Control your PMS first. That should be your first step.

U w0t m8?

Im completely calm and not even the slightest bit mad I expected this thread to be a meme fest when i see serious response i reply with a serious response.

edited March 2019

I am sorry but what I get from your posts is anything but calm.

• @deank said:
    I am sorry but what I get from your posts is anything but calm.

then your just looking for things that don't exist lol.

I started to casual people called me a summer host and implied negative things,I respond with more detail and in a more serious manner so then i must be mad.

What is the correct tone to get answers to a question.

Yeah, well, your reactions also show anything but calm.

But one has got to do what he has to do. Carry on.

• @wantvpsinseychelles said:
    why would you say in the best case i would change my mind though, running a VPN is not illegal period?

It's not illegal. When run properly, it can be very decent service and bring you no real legal problems. Nonetheless, it will mean much headache en route.

It was an irony. If you manage to set u the VPN service and grow it into something viable and useful, it would be great.

• @Master_Bo said:

well thanks for being supportive. and yea im going to probably partner with major VPN's people are familiar with or atleast get guidance from them im friendly with a few people over at different providers and the EFF and ACLU is friendly with me so i might ask them for some legal guidance.

• Personally, I would say there are issues at 3 levels:

1. The technology
    2. The jurisdictions where you run your servers
    3. The contractual obligation towards your customers

Ultimately, you cannot fight the jurdisction should it choose to come down hard on you, and are you prepared to face the worst consequences? If the answer is no, you might want to think again. @PrivacyInfinity is willing to risk incarceration; are you?

• never do business if you dont have knowledge in that.
    do business if you have knowledge in that area.

Congratulation for new VPN Company.

• @poisson said:
    Personally, I would say there are issues at 3 levels:

1. The technology
    2. The jurisdictions where you run your servers
    3. The contractual obligation towards your customers

Ultimately, you cannot fight the jurdisction should it choose to come down hard on you, and are you prepared to face the worst consequences? If the answer is no, you might want to think again. @PrivacyInfinity is willing to risk incarceration; are you?

yes I am, and I have the resources and relationships to mitigate that harm. Privacyaffinity i support its a nice project but Doesen't he use some VPS nodes for his servers? now realistically he can not be arrested and jailed for running a privacy service this has been well documented IE tor operators and VPN providers for many many years now it is just established law at this point.No if someone without any money or connections is as unaccommodating and careless as they can be they might fight some low tier criminal charge In theory although alot of sketchy non logging vpn's seemed to avoid any type of issues.

the jurisdiction is tricky since I live in the US. but my servers would be all over the world and If forced to log I would obviosuly have a warrant canary and just shut down those servers I guess my only real jurisdictional question is registering as a business in seychelles any benefit in reality or is it just a symbolic gesture when I look into it i get mixed answers at best it really is unclear if the incorporation plays any real part in the jurisdictional struggles obviously server location would still subject those physical assets to the jurisdictional angle.

obligation I would uphold its not my first rodeo and the technology is pretty solid and I have a good strategy for making it the best i possibly can Im looking into the possibility of servers custom designed like OVPN which have no physical capacity to log and have the privileges configured not to at all and i would like to implement daily disk free space wipe/overwrite & RAM cleaning periodically of the servers things like that.

the only instance of someone being jailed running a VPN I can find is a 5 year sentence in China.

DO you know what billing management options work well with VPN?

• @hostnetindiaa said:
    never do business if you dont have knowledge in that.
    do business if you have knowledge in that area.

Congratulation for new VPN Company.

thanks and yea I do have knowledge in the VPN aspect just seeing what people knew about the setting up legal and corporate entities and what was ideal for the billing system.

Its hard to decide

• To be honest, I think there is no real difference in terms of jurisdiction if you are an America citizen because if you get slapped with a charge of national security threat, incorporating in Seychelles or not does not matter. If you have connections as you claim, plus the fact that the judiciary is clearly very independent in the U.S., you probably have a good shot in the courts should the executive branch turn nasty. So I don't see why you should be looking elsewhere to incorporate if your main consideration is not to be arrested arbitrarily. You might want to from a corporate tax angle, though.

This discussion has been closed.