Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux For newbies which distro should i go for - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux For newbies which distro should i go for

Comments

• eoleol Member

@flatland_spider said:

@AMXRT said:
    install gentoo

This is really the only answer.

I disagree.
    Slackware, LFS and Funtoo are alright as well.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • @pakhosting said:
    well i play steam games like pubg and cs 1.6 and cs go . can i also play in linux? windows will be my 2nd system though

CS you can play on Linux via steam, pubg, i don't know what that is.

• @pakhosting said:
    well i play steam games like pubg and cs 1.6 and cs go . can i also play in linux? windows will be my 2nd system though

PUBG, APEX LEGENDS, FORTNITE and any other game that makes use of EAC (EasyAntiCheat) will not work due to the nature of this anticheat. It does some deep nonsense in the Windows Kernel, which will obviously not work in Wine.

Wine compatible binaries of EAC are available but publishers don't seem to want to use them, so you're out of luck there.

CS GO, CS 1.6 and any other VALVE game is perfectly fine, they run natively on Linux with zero emulation.

Most other titles that have no online component also work fine through Steam's Proton (or Wine + DXVK if you want). You can check compatibility on ProtonDB (I contributed a lot when it first started :) )
    You can link your Steam library and it will give you compatibility reports for everything you have.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • Im using slackware for a long time, but forget about it if you dont know anything about linux. Linux Mint, if you want everything to work without much hassle. Next would be Manjaro, have better community/packages then ubuntu/mint but need some tweaks and basic linux knowledge. Cinnamon on Linux Mint looks like windows so you wont be lost there. Also Manjaro xfce is nice looking and easy to use. For both of them there is tons of tutorials how to do it, so its not big deal.

I added linux mint before ubuntu, coz in ubuntu i had to install gpu drivers, its easy but you lose time and dont know if they work or not. In Mint i had them installed during linux installation and they were smooth, more better then in ubuntu, where i had some glitches here and there.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • Stick with Windows honestly. Linux sucks for desktop use

However, If you fancy a better experience than Windows 10 go for Windows 7

• @hostnoob said:
    Stick with Windows honestly. Linux sucks for desktop use

Not sure what you are smoking there. Potassium?

Thanked by 3eol iqbal Master_Bo
  • Debian also provides a repo with common non-free firmware. Could be useful for certain hardware.

• for me it was always Linux Mint

Thanked by 1poisson
  • ChuckChuck Member

Damn Small Linux.

Thanked by 1eol
  • i have a issue with Deepin OS. Monitor Displays input not found. And what shall i do in order to fix it? even ubuntu behaves the same. i guess Nvidia Driver GTX 760 issue or i dont know.

• Ubuntu is always the general start
    other ubuntu flavours kubuntu and lubuntu are options.

Alot of people also start with linux mint

really anything debian based is simple enough and has the support for most things

• You are probably using X.org nouveau video driver, go in Software and Settings then in additional drivers and apply & reboot nvidia 390. I have that gpu card on my family computer, and it runs ok in ubuntu. If you need terminal commands check this site

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

I would suggest you again to try Linux Mint or Manjaro.

• I have tried several distros as a Linux newbie and nothing comes close to plug and play than Mint in my experience.

The other distros are Plug and Pray.

• eoleol Member

Since I don't use shitstemd I don't have to pray.
    Thank god.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • @eol said:
    Since I don't use shitstemd I don't have to pray.
    Thank god.

I don't pray as hard with Mint as with Windows. I can see why you don't pray at all, but I am not ready to be an OS atheist yet.

Thanked by 2eol inklight
  • Well for Server it would be Debian or Ubuntu .. u find most tutorials and solutions for problems with these 2.

But if you are new to it plz don't start with a server on the internet .. learn with a Local VM or so.
    specially about securing ssh and basic iptables and such.

For Desktop prolly Ubuntu or Linux Mint o/

• ChuckChuck Member

Pop!_OS

Thanked by 2eol beagle
  • edited March 2019

@eol said:

@flatland_spider said:

@AMXRT said:
    install gentoo

This is really the only answer.

I disagree.
    Slackware, LFS and Funtoo are alright as well.

Funtoo is pretty cool, and that's usually what I use when messing around with source based Linux. Howerver, I'm also usually referencing Gentoo docs. :)

I've never used Slackware aside from Slax.

LFS isn't really sustainable unless you build the infrastructure to maintain it, and at that point you could have started with Gentoo. :)

Thanked by 1eol
  • @wantvpsinseychelles said:
    really anything debian based is simple enough and has the support for most things

I've found RedHat stuff to be a lot simpler. Debian based stuff always has little areas which aren't fully baked.

• @flatland_spider said:

@wantvpsinseychelles said:

I've found RedHat stuff to be a lot simpler. Debian based stuff always has little areas which aren't fully baked.

iv'e always found cent etc to be more intimidating to people new to linux I guess it also depends on what they expect most debian based distros look and feel more what someone who uses windows is used to i think.

• eoleol Member

Just avoid shitstemd and you will be fine.

• Personally i'd just use Windows to play games, as mentioned Linux can be a headache when playing games.

• edited March 2019

@flatland_spider said:

iv'e always found cent etc to be more intimidating to people new to linux I guess it also depends on what they expect most debian based distros look and feel more what someone who uses windows is used to i think.

Really? RH plays to the "not a linux admin" crowd more then any other distro (Yes, including Ubuntu). They have tons of little tools to help people, and they iron out the little details which can trip people up. It's to the point where if people want to be a power user, they should pick something else. RHEL/CentOS are great platforms to build on, but there are better options for doing crazy stuff easily. You can still do crazy stuff with them, but the crazy cliff drops into insanity canyon really quickly.

My personal list:

• Fedora for workstations.
    • RHEL/CentOS for general lowest common denominator Linux stuff.
    • Alpine Linux when I need Linux, the packages will work, and don't need commercial software.
    • FreeBSD for everything I can. :)
    • OpenBSD when I feel like messing around with something new.

I will say, I haven't used Suse much, so I'm not sure how it compares. I could be great, but I'm not sure. I've never found a compelling reason to use it over RH stuff.

Thanked by 2eol beagle
  • eoleol Member

My personal list:

• Slackware for workstations.

• Slackware for general lowest common denominator Linux stuff.

• Slackware when I need Linux, the packages will work, and don't need commercial software.

• Slackware for everything I can. :)

• Slackware when I feel like messing around with something new.

• gkzgkz Member

My first time, I hear linux, i use damn small linux, and then knoppix, and then suse.

• Yea. Install gentoo.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • @eol said:
    My personal list:

• Slackware when I need Linux, the packages will work, and don't need commercial software.

:lol: That makes things easy. :smiley:

Thanked by 1eol
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@eol said:
    My personal list:

You forgot to mention Hetzner.

Thanked by 2eol Hetzner_OL
  • eoleol Member
    edited March 2019

@angstrom said:

@eol said:
    My personal list:

You forgot to mention Hetzner.

It is too early still.

EDIT2:
    Although I like the smell of Hetzner in the morning.