Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux For newbies which distro should i go for
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux For newbies which distro should i go for

Looking for a distro which is same like windows has ability to run applications and games

Have a system windows 10 64 bit

4.2 ghz
16 GB ram
2 GB Nvidia 760
160 GB SSD

Comments

• Slackware '96 with FVWM95.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2019

Your best bet would be to install Debian or Ubuntu and then use Wine or https://lutris.net/ + Steam for Linux to run games. The look of the OS will be different than Windows though.

Thanked by 3Jun shlonk Master_Bo
  • pikepike Veteran

Debian + forget about running games in Wine. If the games you play are not available for linux you might need to install windows as second OS for gaming.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • ZorinOS, Linux Mint, ElementaryOS

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Right now I been using Solus for linux gaming.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • @pike said:
    Debian + forget about running games in Wine. If the games you play are not available for linux you might need to install windows as second OS for gaming.

What about https://www.playonlinux.com/de/ though? It's using Wine isn't it? Haven't used it myself yet but from what I've heard a lot of people are happy with it.

Thanked by 1pike
  • @PieHasBeenEaten said:
    Right now I been using Solus for linux gaming.

+1 for Solus, minus the high battery usage on laptops

• @Ympker said:
    What about https://www.playonlinux.com/de/ though? It's using Wine isn't it? Haven't used it myself yet but from what I've heard a lot of people are happy with it.

It's basically just a wrapper around WINE. CodeWeavers had a nice custom version of wine years ago that patched around the majority of game/etc issues so you could play them, but I don't think too many people will buy their current product just to play games.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I would go with Ubuntu. It's popular -> lot's of guides and easy to get help when needed.
    Zorin looks and feels littlebit more like Windows, but Ubuntu is easy to learn.

Thanked by 1t0m
  • Dual boot with Mint and don't look back.

• Ubuntu, forget about games or buy second SSD and install windows on it.

• Every answer other than Ubuntu and TempleOS is wrong.

Thanked by 2Chuck eol
  • well i play steam games like pubg and cs 1.6 and cs go . can i also play in linux? windows will be my 2nd system though

• @Janevski said:
    Every answer other than Ubuntu and TempleOS is wrong.

What about OpenSUSE tho?

• @Letzien said:
    Slackware '96 with FVWM95.

Slack 96 was the first distro version I ever installed at home. I got the CD from the back cover of a QUE published Linux book.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited March 2019

All versions of Counter-Strike work on Linux, MacOS and Windows without any virtualization. @Ympker yeh, seems like some project based on wine too. My experience with wine running windows games on macos was poor tbh so I ended up with dualboot.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2019

Well steam has there own version of wine built in their software called proton. Just google steam proton and it give you a list which games will work.

• bapbap Member

+1 vote for steam play (proton).

• Debian Thanks

• Debian +Gnome + Cinnamon .. you will felt like you are still in windows 7 or so while you can do a lot of stuff.

On the other and, just install ubuntu terminal in windows 10 if you still want to play games and want try part of linux.

• Have a look at Kubuntu for desktop, it's a very nice UI and things are in obvious places. I'm a command line nut but I do find KDE to be a nice desktop environment when doing the usual stuff.

Thanked by 1pike
  • gentoo

Thanked by 1AMXRT
  • Forget about Slackware or Gentoo

• I have a PC with similar spec and I have just installed Ubuntu and everything goes well.

• +1 for Debian/Ubuntu

• FastmakoFastmako Member, Host Rep

For gamers, dual boot seems the best option in my opinion too. Linux for gamers is just not ready yet.

• iqbaliqbal Member

arch linux and forget games and learn to code...

• Ubuntu, what else

• can i use along windows ubuntu?