Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLENTY OF POWER, SMALL PRICE: THE NEW EX42 AND EX42-NVME - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PLENTY OF POWER, SMALL PRICE: THE NEW EX42 AND EX42-NVME

124»

Comments

• next new server :smile:

AX100
    AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper 2950X 16 Core
    128 GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    8 Drive Slots
    € 109.00 monthly excl. VAT
    once-off setup: € 109.00

https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/matrix-ax

Thanked by 1eol
  • @AC_Fan said:

lurkem said: 8 GB Enterprise HDDs

Doubt

Yeah.
    Maybe TB.

• @Hetzner_OL I had some packet loss issues and support couldn’t help because the issue was the driver in Debian. I upgraded to the latest Intel e1000e and I have 4 dropped packets in 3 days now which is ok.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • looks like they updated the ex-5x as well. Larger nvme drives lower setup fee.

• Fun fact there are 1TB sata ssd drives on amazon at $135-140.

Ssd price crash. Yay

• I wouldn't buy a SSD from a company that doesn't produce their own flash.

• nice box for proxmox

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2019

EX52 is a good offer by the numbers: extra 20 euro/m for 8TB more HDD (or 1TB more NVMe SSD) and 2 more cores, compared with EX42. But at that price level since the main attraction is storage, I'd probably spend another 10e/m and go for an SX62, which has 4x10TB and has ECC ram (though 32gb instead of 64gb, and 4 cores instead of 6).

I still don't see how to use 64GB RAM most of the time. RAM prices haven't been dropping much and the extra 32GB has to be showing up in the monthly cost. So at least for a server rented with personal funds I'd rather have less ram and pay a bit less.

The AX100, hmm, reasonable price for such high ram and cores I guess, though you have to pay extra for disks, edging the cost closer to the AX160. Probably a good virtualization server. For my own CPU-heavy stuff again, I'd rather have a lower cost configuration with less ram. There's always the backstop of an hourly cloud server if I suddenly want a lot of ram for something.

AMD CPUs are quite cost competitive with Intel so I'd hope to see them showing up in the budget servers, i.e. Ryzen boxes comparably priced to the entry level EX's. Lower ram is fine, ECC would be very desirable. Also eagerly awaiting AMD's coming high end stuff though it's out of my personal niche.

• @eol said:
    I wouldn't buy a SSD from a company that doesn't produce their own flash.

I see Samsung 860Evos for $147 now.
    Got curious after reading : https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/aqn4rd/1_tb_ssd_prices_down_50_since_2018/

Thanked by 1eol
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited February 2019

@willie I believe you can't add SSDs to SX62, so those who want a dual storage option will go for the EX servers.
    For the AX100, it's the best option for unusual storage options. Wanna go 8 disk RAID 10 on 3.84 TB SATA SSDs? Here you go!

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@AC_Fan said:

Doubt

Yes, this is a typo. The drives are 2 x 8 TB SATA Enterprise HDD 7200 rpm with software RAID 1: https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex52

Thanks for the feedback on these models. :smiley: I'll pass it onto the Product Development Team.

--Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

@AC_Fan said:

Doubt

Yes, this is a typo. The drives are 2 x 8 TB SATA Enterprise HDD 7200 rpm with software RAID 1: https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex52

Thanks for the feedback on these models. :smiley: I'll pass it onto the Product Development Team.

--Katie, Marketing

Thank you. AFAIK, only the SX series is a bit limited in drive additions, being able to add even 2 SSDs (for RAID1) to the SX62 will be a huge deal.

• vimalware said: I see Samsung 860Evos for $147 now.

I've seen them lower than that, and Newegg had 1TB Crucial MX500 on sale for $113 (after a promo code) a few weeks ago. They're a bit more now but yeah, SSD has definitely made progress, while RAM and HDD are closer to holding steady.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2019

In an interview, the owner of servers.com said that he wanted to buy Hetzner. But he refused through low margins and turnover.

It's true? Were you against it, or did he really not want to buy Hetzner company?

I'm just curious.

Hi @Vova1234, it's the first time I have heard of this. To the best of my knowledge Hetzner Online GmbH is not for sale. Even if I were wrong, I wasn't allowed to discuss this on forums. Did he say that in the video you posted? Unfortunately I don't speak Russian.
    --Julia, Marketing

• I can't imagine...
    Seems like a load of BS to me.

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    Hi @Vova1234, it's the first time I have heard of this. To the best of my knowledge Hetzner Online GmbH is not for sale. Even if I were wrong, I wasn't allowed to discuss this on forums. Did he say that in the video you posted? Unfortunately I don't speak Russian.
    --Julia, Marketing

Guy from the left says that he think about buying Hetzner company but decided not to buy it because of "Hetzner has a little profit from one server. Also because of cheap servers a lot of "one time" clients."

P.S.: Unfortunately I don't speak English well. But I hope you understand me. :)
    P.P.S.: as for me its a compliment to Hetzner. :)

Thanked by 3uptime eol Hetzner_OL
  • I'm not buying Hetzner because I can't spell it and because I don't want to relocate to Germany - too cold and too much diesel.

Don't have a YouTube video doing an interview and saying it but, here you have.
    Case closed and you can't say you didn't know it.

Thanked by 2eol that_guy
  • I don't think Martin will sell it.

Thanks @SashkaPro for letting us know what they say in the video. And thanks, as well, for seeing this as a compliment for Hetzner. ;)
    What Julia already wrote yesterday is true. To the best of our knowledge, the company is not for sale. However, as those of you who have been here on LET for a while already know, we don't publish any information about Hetzner Online's business strategies or long-term plans. Even if there were on-going sale discussions, we would not publish that information. So it is a bit of a moot point. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 2eol uptime
  • Can someone tell me how long it takes for delivery? their order processing page says few minutes but its been few hours since i ordered the server, anyone experienced this before? (no special configurations, im not a new customer either, already got other servers/services with them)

• I don't think they work weekends. You'll get the server on Monday.

• @RXWatcher said:
    I don't think they work weekends. You'll get the server on Monday.

thought the process is completely automated as the processing page describes. guess not. maybe they are out of stock or something coz i still haven't received the server.

• Is anyone using these for serving content to the U.S.? I am always tempted to get one of these but, I don't know if it would work out for me.