Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLENTY OF POWER, SMALL PRICE: THE NEW EX42 AND EX42-NVME - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PLENTY OF POWER, SMALL PRICE: THE NEW EX42 AND EX42-NVME

Comments

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited February 2019

zsero said: What do you recommend for testing real world network latency of full website loading?

There are several. Pigdom tools for example. But it's not perfect as it doesn't tell you how fast your website would load from a residential connection... But if the link isn't saturated between your visitor and your server, 80ms more (RTT) to NYC than from BHS should be the only difference. If you use http/2 and cache your static assets close to your visitor, you should be ok. As TLS negotiation is done with the closest CF node, impact should be fairly low.

I'm curious to know how this works out in south america, if you do further testing feel free to share your results with us, that would be interesting to read!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Meanwhile, Hetzner increased the prices in the server auctions.
    Nothing below 24EUR anymore, and its going up and up.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • The low end spec machines are pretty much gone as well.
    But since it is an auction prices are deemed to fall anyway.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited February 2019

eol said: But since it is an auction prices are deemed to fall anyway.

but not below 24.37€* it seems

I don't remember exactly the previous hard limit, but I'm pretty sure it was lower

EDIT2:
    * that's exactly 29.00€ with German VAT

• I am not really sure but there might be a hard limit based on specs.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited February 2019

Someday I will be able to afford that mythical 256GB ram E51650 V2/V3 that was available as low as 84eur73eur/mo.

Now that's PREMIUM IDLING.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I'm sure there were some 19 EUR machines in the auction for a while and there's still some one at 21 EUR.
    I got lucky a while ago and picked up a Xeon E3, 16gb ECC, 2 x 3tb ENT drives for 21, but equally I've missed some too lol.

• what nvme model used in these servers?

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep

@bissag said:
    what nvme model used in these servers?

NVME Identify Controller:
    sn : S3W8NX0M111977
    mn : SAMSUNG MZVLB512HAJQ-00000
    fr : EXA7301Q

Got an i7 7700 cpu.

• @Neoon said:

They didn't increase them, there was a organic increase in prices since they started offering unlimited bandwidth rather than 20TB. It didn't happen instantly

@darkimmortal said:

@Neoon said:

They didn't increase them, there was a organic increase in prices since they started offering unlimited bandwidth rather than 20TB. It didn't happen instantly

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

mfs said: It seems that the whole newsletter hasn't been translated in English yet;

What did I miss? I am pretty sure I translated everything.

Neoon said: Meanwhile, Hetzner increased the prices in the server auctions.

AFAIK we did not increase prices. There is just much more demand, so people are buying them before the prices drop further down to where they may have been in the past. The auction prices are set based on an automated program. @darkimmortal is correct here, sorry @neoon
    --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 3eol mfs that_guy
  • Can someone please paste server benchmark?

• @Hetzner_OL

some work on your ddos-protection would be nice. something like ovh game, first-colo fullmitigation or combahton/kms-hosting.

your ddos-protection is complete useless for voice- or gameservers. ovh and first-colo have arbor like you and combahton is complete selfmade.

• @lurkem All I got from the DDoS protection at online.net (arbor, too?) and OVH was false alerts and throttling/blocking perfectly good traffic. Each server had 5 DDoS alerts per month, when in reality not a single DDoS happened.

I'm glad to be with Hetzner now.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @gol3m said:
    @lurkem All I got from the DDoS protection at online.net (arbor, too?) and OVH was false alerts and throttling/blocking perfectly good traffic. Each server had 5 DDoS alerts per month, when in reality not a single DDoS happened.

I'm glad to be with Hetzner now.

This happens with OVH's standard protection. The game protection is always on and you'll not notice anything.
    I'm with ovh for years, never had false positiv alters.
    @lurkem Hetzner has indeed bad protection for voice- or gameservers.

Thanked by 1gol3m

@Hetzner_OL said:
    AFAIK we did not increase prices. There is just much more demand, so people are buying them before the prices drop further down to where they may have been in the past. The auction prices are set based on an automated program. @darkimmortal is correct here, sorry @neoon
    --Katie, Marketing

My point was different, yes I know that supply and demand changes the pricing on the server bidding.

We saw a few weeks ago, that the prices increased due to unlimited traffic.
    But my point was, that the cheapest machines you had, the 19EUR Athlon X2 are gone.

That was never the case before, its old hardware yes but the performance does not justify a purchase, so its questionable why they also rise up in price.

Did Hetzner started to phrase them out?

• gol3mgol3m Member
    edited February 2019

@Neoon haven't the Athlons always been unattractive? I've always wondered who would buy them and I don't think Hetzner manually changed the price.

edit: did they change the minimum price to 29€ incl. VAT? (comment below me)

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

Hetzner_OL said: What did I miss? I am pretty sure I translated everything.

You did; anyway the English newsletter come out a little later (few hours later). When I posted that little translation, only the German announcement was available (on Hetzner's own forum)

Hetzner_OL said: AFAIK we did not increase prices. There is just much more demand, so people are buying them before the prices drop further down to where they may have been in the past.

The hard limit (29.00€ including German VAT) is higher than usual, and the limit itself isn't bound to auction's dynamics

@gol3m said:
    @Neoon haven't the Athlons always been unattractive? I've always wondered who would buy them and I don't think Hetzner manually changed the price.

If there is no demand, no need for price rise, still it has RYZEN.

Thanked by 1gol3m
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited February 2019

gol3m said: did they change the minimum price to 29€ incl. VAT? (comment below me)

On 24 January 2019 the lower limit was 23.00€ , the same limit was in place on 29 December 2018 (19.33€ w/o German VAT = 23.00€ w/ German VAT)
    While it's true that thanks to higher market demand auction prices increased a little in the last months (as @Hetzner_OL pointed out), the lower fixed limit for auction prices has been manually raised from 23 € to 29 € (German VAT included) between 24 January 2019 and 5 February 2019; I'd say that it has been raised on 4 February, along with the EX42 announcement

edited February 2019

@Neoon said:

Did Hetzner started to phrase them out?

No, but it's true that the supply has decreased. Still, keep an eye out for them. I know for fact that there will be some more deployed soon.

--Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • george_zipgeorge_zip Member
    edited February 2019

I’m so tempted to slap that yellow ORDER button right now. I have an URGE. This is unhealthy.

EDIT: Asked support, told me the server comes with an Intel i219-LM on-board NIC and a Fujitsu D3401-H1 motherboard as posted earlier in this thread in the benchmarks.

• mrclownmrclown Member
    edited February 2019

@george_zip said:
    I’m so tempted to slap that yellow ORDER button right now. I have an URGE. This is unhealthy.

EDIT: Asked support, told me the server comes with an Intel i219-LM on-board NIC and a Fujitsu D3401-H1 motherboard as posted earlier in this thread in the benchmarks.

Already happened to me a few times. I had to close my eyes to close that tab over and over again. Please be healthy .. (just order as you wanted)

• Fuck it, I ordered the server. Waiting for delivery.

• @george_zip said:
    Fuck it, I ordered the server. Waiting for delivery.

Enjoy.

@george_zip We don't want you to have an unhealthy relationship with our servers, but at the same time we have the you enjoy using your new server! --Katie, Marketing

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    @george_zip We don't want you to have an unhealthy relationship with our servers, but at the same time we have the you enjoy using your new server! --Katie, Marketing

It was delivered two hours ago! :smiley: I’m setting it up right now. I learned that netplan doesn’t accept tabs instead of spaces in the .yaml config when setting up an additional IP. Why though, lol. Why use spaces when there’s tab.

Thanked by 2mfs Hetzner_OL
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited February 2019

@george_zip said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

It was delivered two hours ago! :smiley: I’m setting it up right now. I learned that netplan doesn’t accept tabs instead of spaces in the .yaml config when setting up an additional IP. Why though, lol. Why use spaces when there’s tab.

It's inherent to the formatting of yaml. Generally speaking, spaces work better with pretty much anything as opposed to tabs.

https://yaml.org/faq.html
    "Tabs have been outlawed since they are treated differently by different editors and tools. And since indentation is so critical to proper interpretation of YAML, this issue is just too tricky to even attempt."

@george_zip Glad to hear that you got your server. But I am going to stay out of the whole tabs-versus-spaces debate. I seem to remember there being a gif for that...Can someone help me out? --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 3eol george_zip that_guy