Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH has very bad anti fraud policy. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH has very bad anti fraud policy.

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Turn it around. Give them all they want ... wait a bit ... and then use the strict european pivacy/protection laws against them. And no, it's not relevant whether you are an Indian or a European; the laws apply to OVH because they are a european company.

Meaning: They can ask all they want - and I do understand that a company has the right to check that customers are real and OK - but then they !must! properly protect your data - which pretty much no company really achieves because they can't.

• or -

give them what they want and how they want it and then enjoy their many services. Once you are cleared you can get a lot of things.

• or -

forget about it because what they ask (e.g. bank statements) is more than you are willing to provide. But then why this thread?

FWIW: From what I see OVH is not terrorizing you but simply doing normal fraud prevention, albeit in a somewhat tough and far-reaching way, as India seems to be considered as high risk country.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

lol

• deank said: When I set up electricity for the first time on a new address, I have to provide my ID, social insurance #, and driver's license so that they can check my credit score. If it's too low, they deny the service.

WTF really so their no way to escape from the big brother

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, if "privacy" is too important, you can opt out and not get power. That's one way to deal with it.

• @bharatwaj said:

@deank said:

@bharatwaj said:
    having anti fraud measures is fine. But when a person tries to obey it and the company demands for more and more things just to waste one persons time. Then it’s an abuse.

What abuse?

A business can certainly deny service to people. It's their choice and right.

I agree with your point, if they wanted to deny my order, then they could have directly written on the website about not accepting Indians as client or could have straight up said my in the first mail that it’s not possible to give domain. I would have said yes to that.
    I wouldn’t have spent time to take photos and sending them. In their first mail, they asked me all the documents and just one photo with order number written.
    Now they want all the documents with order number written.
    Why to wait till I send one set of mail and then ask again which they know anyone will get pissed off.

After being reminded OVH is Canadian, I'm hoping this was intentional :)

In Canada, we're plagued by fuck face scammers calling from India pretending to be Microsoft or the Canadian tax agency, etc, and wasting people's time at best, and taking thousands of dollars from old people at worst.

So depending on my mood and time available, when I get one of these scam calls (3 last week), I either tell them to fuck off and hang up, or I go along with it for a few minutes and waste some of their time and help save the next person from getting the call.

Lately, it's those really terrible email extortion emails saying they hacked your email and you need to send bitcoins or else they'll release sensitive emails.

If OVH officially said they did this on purpose, I think I'd order some service just to support them.

You can thank your scam centers for your extra bit of hassle. And no sympathy from me.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited January 2019

Just want to say that, I tend to always put a small piece of paper with the requester's name on the document before taking a photo and sending to them. If you send a document photo without any indication, they won't know if you stole it from somewhere else, and you won't know if they will use it somewhere else.

So, put a small piece of paper, write "only for ovh order xxyyzz" and cover part of your card and ID. Doing so could help protecting your identity from stolen.

I mean, seriously, you can get pretty much any kind of ID, bank statements, etc. by just searching for pictures online, or spend a few dollars to buy those from some guy.

• TimboJones said: After being reminded OVH is Canadian, I'm hoping this was intentional

It's not Canadian - they have a Canadian entity.

TimboJones said: Canada, we're plagued by fuck face scammers calling from India pretending to be Microsoft or the Canadian tax agency, etc, and wasting people's time at best, and taking thousands of dollars from old people at worst.

I also get calls from Microsoft, from Steve living in Seattle, India.

... Anyway, OP still haven't said "sir", in a single post. So can't be indian.

Thanked by 1FHR
    edited January 2019

OVH is French. Canada has a french province known as Québec. It's where they are.

And them Indian scam calls. I keep blocking them but they change their phone # every second.

Thanked by 1inklight
  • @deank said:
    Well, if "privacy" is too important, you can opt out and not get power. That's one way to deal with it.

#SoverignPowerCitizens.

Wait, shit that doesn't parse well at all!

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Signing up at OVH is normally a seamless process and I know tons of people that had no problems with it.

Apart from being from a high-risk country, there are also other indicators that could trigger an anti-fraud system. Stuff like trying to pay with a card from a different country than what you put in as your billing address, card already associated with another OVH account, etc…

Thanked by 1inklight

I do keep a single VPS with OVH for fun. My account got approved in an instant.

But then I am a Canadian, used my CC from my home IP without VPN, so nothing got in my way.

Thanked by 1eol
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Letzien said:

@deank said:

#SoverignPowerCitizens.

I DO NOT CONSENT AND I REJECT MY CITIZENSHIP

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • @jar said:

@Letzien said:

@deank said:

#SoverignPowerCitizens.

See, you owe us IPv6 because of Maritime law..

Thanked by 2jar uptime
  • @Zerpy said:

TimboJones said: After being reminded OVH is Canadian, I'm hoping this was intentional

It's not Canadian - they have a Canadian entity.

TimboJones said: Canada, we're plagued by fuck face scammers calling from India pretending to be Microsoft or the Canadian tax agency, etc, and wasting people's time at best, and taking thousands of dollars from old people at worst.

I also get calls from Microsoft, from Steve living in Seattle, India.

... Anyway, OP still haven't said "sir", in a single post. So can't be indian.

Except he explicitly said he had an Indian citizenship card. But yeah, suspicious that he never said "reverted" and "needful" .

• @Neoon said:
    Sounds like you are living in a high risk country.
    The holding a paper up with your username/order number with your card is common in some places.

I live in Spain and oneprovider told me to do it..

• @desfire said:

@Neoon said:
    Sounds like you are living in a high risk country.
    The holding a paper up with your username/order number with your card is common in some places.

I live in Spain and oneprovider told me to do it..

you use a vpn or proxy?

• @Letzien said:

@jar said:

@Letzien said:

@deank said:

#SoverignPowerCitizens.

"I am not shitposting, i am traveling."

Thanked by 3eol jar Letzien
  • eoleol Member

@Janevski said:

Traveling is against the forum rules, and will be dealt with appropriately.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @eol said:

@Janevski said:

Traveling is against the forum rules, and will be dealt with appropriately.

Traveling into space and time is legal, because space is no man's land and time cannot be owned by an entity.

Thanked by 2eol jar
  • sir, do you refer to ipv6 as the natural person or ipv6 the corporation?

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Janevski said: Traveling into space and time is legal, because space is no man's land and time cannot be owned by an entity.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@uptime said:
    sir, do you refer to ipv6 as the natural person or ipv6 the corporation?

GNU/IPv6 of course!

Thanked by 3uptime Janevski eol
  • LetzienLetzien Member
    edited January 2019

@Janevski said:

@Letzien said:

@jar said:

@Letzien said:

@deank said:

#SoverignPowerCitizens.

@uptime said:

Is this VPS being detained, or am I free to go?!

Thanked by 2uptime Janevski
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

after a brief parlay with the local constabulary, all packets have been dropped.

EDIT2: Sir, that means you and your natural person are free to go.

EDIT3: Sir, these premises are privately owned public property.

EDIT4: Please, just go, now. The exit node is that way ... 👉

EDIT5: Godspeed, and good luck with your budgetcoin.

Thanked by 1eol
  • This thread is now the Soverign Cest Pit.

I have thus agreed to this at face value with my signature.

Thanked by 2uptime Hassan
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

I too recognize your bill of retainer.

EDIT2: ... as it is intrinsically backed by the bonded word-deed of a self-proclaimed Soverign Letizen, indubitably.

Thanked by 2Letzien eol
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited January 2019

@Letzien said:

@Janevski said:

@Letzien said:

@jar said:

@Letzien said:

@deank said:

#SoverignPowerCitizens.

@uptime said:

I am not recording this thread, i am just taking screenshots of my own screen, for my own personal protection, while reading a public thread, on my own public internet.

Thanked by 3Letzien uptime eol
  • @Janevski said:

@Letzien said:

@Janevski said:

@Letzien said:

@jar said:

@Letzien said:

@deank said:

#SoverignPowerCitizens.

@uptime said:

I am not recording this thread, i am just taking screenshots of my own screen, for my own personal protection, while reading a public thread, on my own public internet.

Sir. Sir. SIR! The articles of service confederation plainly state..

Thanked by 1Janevski

... that the end is nigh.

Thanked by 2uptime Janevski
  • that's what they was sayin bout the sherrif