Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vepp - new Server & Website Management Software. Feedback Needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vepp - new Server & Website Management Software. Feedback Needed

Hi everyone,

I’m from ISPsystem. We develop hosting software since 2004. Right now, we’re working on Vepp, new software for managing websites on a VPS, dedicated server, or in a cloud. It’s not a standard control panel: it is more simple, faster, and requires less technical skills.

We plan to launch Vepp later in 2019. However, we’d like to invite the LET community to test its alpha now. It’s important for us to know expert opinion about software logic, user-friendliness, and UI. We’ve prepared a survey (5 min) — for those who have tested Vepp and completed the survey, we have Amazon gift cards and a free 3 yrs. subscription to Vepp.

How to test
Vepp is available for testing as SaaS: www.vepp.com. To start testing, you need a clean server with root access and CentOS 7. It may be a small VPS from your hosting provider.

Concept behind Vepp
Existing hosting panels are good and full of features, but they’re more focused on admins. While 40% of control panel users are not really technically versed and don't want to be engaged in server administration. More and more people need a web presence — the number of websites is over 1.7 bln already. Site builders increased their audience several times. This pushes CMSs to get simpler. Web Pros and Admins also need a new level of comfort because global brands such as Google or iPhone form a new level of UI/UX standards.

When designing Vepp we considered these market trends.
• There are no complicated settings on the website management level in Vepp.
• UX/UI is modern and intuitive. It lets newbies feel comfortable working with a website and helps Web Professionals save time on server management.
• Admins will find all control panel features for working with databases, servers, users, etc.

What you can do now
• For beginners, we made the work area built around websites. It allows creating a website in one click - you only need to enter your domain. Vepp adds a domain on the web server level (Apache+Nginx), creates a database (MariaDB 10.3) and an FTP user automatically, and adds the latest PHP version (7.2).
• Install a free Let’s Encrypt certificate automatically if your domain leads to a server you have added to Vepp. Or add an SSL from another certification authority.
• Work with databases and database users.

What we plan to add next
• After Alpha Vepp will include a file manager, PHP management, backup copies, mail + other features.
• Market Place with 3rd party tools such as antiviruses, analytics, etc.
• So far, we plan to distribute the SaaS. Later on, we’re going to launch the on-premise.

Comments

• What's the pricing looks like? Currently I'm using ISPmanager Lite. Interested to test vepp

• MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited January 2019

I find it quite weird that I need a server to even sign up. What if I, as a potential customer, just want to open a ticket and ask you a few questions before making up my mind. Moreover I would rather get a script that install the CP on the server than give you the root password and pray it won't leak before I go out of business (who knows how it's being stored). With the hundreds of customers and thousands of servers you are the perfect target.

Thanked by 2MrH n1ghtm4r3x
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Recommended, these guys rocks. Spoke to them a lot about DCIManager, etc. They're great people, and truly skilled.

Thanked by 3beatpavel eol coreflux
  • @MikePT, great to hear!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NanoG6 said: What's the pricing looks like? Currently I'm using ISPmanager Lite. Interested to test vepp

We are going to announce the pricing of the full commercial version a little bit later in 2019. We plan that the price of Vepp will be around the price of ISPmanager. And for our existing customers - those who already use ISPmanager - we will definitely provide a special offer.

Would be great to hear your feedback after testing.

• @beatpavel said:
    And for our existing customers - those who already use ISPmanager - we will definitely provide a special offer.

Eh wot

• @MrPsycho

You need a server to sign up, indeed. However, if you have a preliminary question, you can ask it via online chat on our website, email, or just give us a call before you sign up. You can find our contact data right there at www.vepp.com.

We take all measures to guarantee the security of data you use. We don't store your root credentials. Instead of the root password, we store a special key which is fully secured. We have been using such keys for access to clients in our support system for years, guaranteeing the security of data, and haven't faced any security breach or issue.

This is how any typical SaaS service works, and this is what we call the advantage of Vepp SaaS in comparison with on-premise control panels: You don't need to use any script and install anything - Vepp will do the job for you.

• Hi.

Is this something like the serverpilot and runcloud? Looking good for some projects that require automated software updates and lazy system administrators. Also, paying for this service is totally worth it for newbies.

However, I wonder how's your pricing model gonna be because that's the only thing that matter (at least) to me. I can choose any server management providers since they all provide almost the same functions and features but at the end of the day, the lowest figure should win my heart.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 BeardyUnixGuy
  • Hi @sudoranger,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can’t compare Vepp to control panels (when speaking of a large audience) because its idea is wider. Vepp is more simple, faster, and requires less technical skills.

Speaking of the pricing model – as I’ve mentioned in a previous message the price to be announced later in 2019. We're going to keep it around the current price of ISPmanager, therefore Serverpilot or Runcloud users won’t be shocked:-)

Vepp will have basic monthly or yearly plan (with all necessary features for website and server management) + extension modules (including 3rd party modules) which will cost extra. And of course, SaaS version will cost a bit more than On-Premise.

Thus we're not trying to make the cheapest solution possible. However, our company's philosophy has always been to provide great functionality and user-experience for the affordable price.

• Great! It would be awesome if you have a native IOS/Android app (not the webview) provided for free and I'm sold.

Regarding security, perhaps you would want the root password only during first installation and never store anything sensitive on your server be it encrypted. That way you gain more trust since its the sudo ranger speaking here :smiley:

Anyway, good luck to you and your team. Looking forward to see new (or perhaps not-so-new-alternative) players and in this field...

Thanked by 1beatpavel
  • AndruAndru Member
    edited January 2019

Installed.. looks different from what i was using. Simple and Fast.
    So far so good .. with all features will be perfect.
    What i am missing is nameserver settings. I dont know where to point my domain.. (nameservers ?)
    Great job!

Thanked by 1MrH
  • sadly you lost me after

beatpavel said: CentOS 7

So this will be in your infrastruture (the panel) and we can also run the panel in our infra? Is the code encoded?

• Speaking of the pricing model – as I’ve mentioned in a previous message the price to be announced later in 2019. We're going to keep it around the current price of ISPmanager, therefore Serverpilot or Runcloud users won’t be shocked:-)

ISPmanager Lite seems priced per server. with either of those other mentioned I don't need to spend 40 bucks /year/server

• @silverdawn said:
    ISPmanager Lite seems priced per server. with either of those other mentioned I don't need to spend 40 bucks /year/server

I believe ServerPilot is 5$ per server, and 0.5$ per app, per month, for its most basic version. So thats 66$ per year.

Runcloud does have a free version. However, if you want a file manager, free SSL by LetsEncrypt (both included in Vepp's basic version), etc, then its 8$ per server, per month, or, 80$ per year.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thanked by 1beatpavel
  • @MikePT said:
    So this will be in your infrastruture (the panel) and we can also run the panel in our infra? Is the code encoded?

Correct! Right now Vepp is available as SaaS, hosted on ISPsystem's infrastructure, but in a little bit an On-Premise version will be released, where Vepp would be installed on your server directly, if needed.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Hi @zuby2402,

Big thanx for your feedback. Our developers are now working on this, therefore nameserver extended settings will be available soon.

As for now you can use name servers of your registrar or provider and specify domain A-type record with an IP address of your server in Vepp. More on this: https://docs.ispsystem.com/vepp/getting-started-with-vepp/connecting-to-vepp#ConnectingtoVepp-Step3.Setupadomain (ed

• Hi @Falzo. Latest Ubuntu and Debian will be next on our list of supported operating systems. Perhaps this fact will change your opinion..

Thanked by 2Wolveix Falzo
  • Please make your sign-up page more mobile-friendly. I have to use desktop mode... :(

• Been using RunCloud or over a year now, would love to see an option to backup files to a 3rd party service (Google Drive, Dropbox, S3 etc) I think that's really where RunCloud fails tbh.

• DXDDXD Member

any eta on ispmanager 6?

• @sanvit said:
    Please make your sign-up page more mobile-friendly. I have to use desktop mode... :(

Use landscape :)

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @Pavel_G said:

@silverdawn said:

I believe ServerPilot is 5$ per server, and 0.5$ per app, per month, for its most basic version. So thats 66$ per year.

Oh yes, that is indeed correct, they charge per server as well

Runcloud does have a free version. However, if you want a file manager, free SSL by LetsEncrypt (both included in Vepp's basic version), etc, then its 8$ per server, per month, or, 80$ per year.

Well I use RC Pro for 90$ per year flat.
    Can Veep handle multiple IPs per server?

edited January 2019

@Pavel_G said:

@MikePT said:

Correct! Right now Vepp is available as SaaS, hosted on ISPsystem's infrastructure, but in a little bit an On-Premise version will be released, where Vepp would be installed on your server directly, if needed.

Thank you Pavel.

1 - Is the code encoded?

2 - How does the template UI engine work, what engine is it if any?

• @sanvit said:
    Please make your sign-up page more mobile-friendly. I have to use desktop mode... :(

Thank you for your feedback. We'll fix it.

• @Gravely said:
    Been using RunCloud or over a year now, would love to see an option to backup files to a 3rd party service (Google Drive, Dropbox, S3 etc) I think that's really where RunCloud fails tbh.

I see. Yes, this is a pretty good feature, and we plan to add 3rd party backups for sure. What service do you use?

• @DXD said:
    any eta on ispmanager 6?

We plan that Vepp will replace ISPmanager so that there will be no ISPmanager 6. Vepp helps to do the same things that our current ISPmanager allows to do but easier. Due to our new concept and design, many tools in Vepp look and work differently. So far Vepp contains fewer functions than ISPmanager but in the future, it will have all features of ISPmanager that will eventually meet its end of life.

• MikePT said: Thank you Pavel.

1 - Is the code encoded?

2 - How does the template UI engine work, what engine is it if any?

1) You mean whether Vepp is opensource? If so then no, it's not.
    2) We are using wordpress.org API at the moment, but we are working on providing themes from other sources, including customer made by select studios. Also, we will be adding support for

• Hey thanks for the gift card!

Thanked by 2beatpavel Pavel_G
  • @silverdawn said:

@Pavel_G said:

@silverdawn said:

Oh yes, that is indeed correct, they charge per server as well

Well I use RC Pro for 90$ per year flat.
    Can Veep handle multiple IPs per server?

Sure, it will support multiple IP per server too.