Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Xiaomi phone users here? Do you use Stock Android or MiUI? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Xiaomi phone users here? Do you use Stock Android or MiUI?

13»

Comments

• @lowendclient said:

@msg7086 said:

@lemon said:
    miui, i don't see any point in installing stock android, because everything just works out of the box.

I thought the same, until this week when I was trying to chat in a group SMS conversation. All the chat messages are split into separate threads, and it just look like everybody is talking on their own when they are actually chatting with each other. I can't reply to them as well. Can't be more confused when my friends hung out and I couldn't even tell them I'm on my way.

That cant explain the advertisement in xiaomi TV and xiaomi Router.
    All I focus is the advertisement only for Chinese market,
    this kind of discrimination is unacceptable.

i think... your words make no sense...!?

• edfoxedfox Member
    edited December 2018

I'm still using my trusty old Redmi Note 3 Pro since i can't find a better phone.
    Running it with Android 7, no Google apps and all apps from F-Droid.

MIUI is quite good (especially the lighter version found on Pocophone) but i prefer AOSP Android especially since it's much better when using low dpi (i want my interface small).

• DataRecovery said: And generally I'd say that I do not understand all the hype around Xiaomi. They're just one of the Chinese phone vendors, which was lucky to became well-known.

I have tried a few Chinese phone vendors and they all had quality issues. Xiaomi, on the other hand, provided me with an aluminum body phone that has clearances (the gap between two parts) like an iPhone, a great camera, the best reception I have ever had, a superior display, 8-12 hours screen-on-time, and great specs for just 100€ including shipping. Even the speaker is great.

Only the software is/was lacking. I used MIUI 8 for a few months and it was quite ugly (horrible UI, bugs, and default apps) and there were some spyware apps I could not disable. Now I'm on LineageOS without gapps.

• Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited December 2018

yokowasis said: Stock ROM is a ROM that comes pre-installed by the vendor.

Stock /Android/, not stock ROM, they are different.

🤦‍♂️

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited December 2018

@lemon said:

sms in 2018?? wtf

It's a phone, right? SMS is a standard protocol right? I'm not forced to use crappy companies' proprietary software like wechat or QQ shit right? I don't have to force my colleagues to use Line or Facebook or Telegram right?

You think we should email each other instead?

Do you laugh at people who make phone calls in 2018 and think they should be using wechat calling?

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited December 2018

@moni099878 said:

@lowendclient said:

@msg7086 said:

@lemon said:
    miui, i don't see any point in installing stock android, because everything just works out of the box.

I thought the same, until this week when I was trying to chat in a group SMS conversation. All the chat messages are split into separate threads, and it just look like everybody is talking on their own when they are actually chatting with each other. I can't reply to them as well. Can't be more confused when my friends hung out and I couldn't even tell them I'm on my way.

Make no sense? I think you mean 'unreasonable'? Don't use Baidu translation...
    Xiaomi treat Chinese users as crappy cunthead, why can't Mifans face the reality?

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited December 2018

@lowendclient said:

@moni099878 said:

@lowendclient said:

@msg7086 said:

@lemon said:

Xiaomi treat Chinese users as crappy cunthead, why can't Mifans face the reality?

Which part are you replying me for? How do TV and Router have anything to do with group SMS conversation?

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited December 2018

@msg7086 said:

@lowendclient said:

@moni099878 said:

@lowendclient said:

@msg7086 said:

@lemon said:

Which part are you replying me for? How do TV and Router have anything to do with group SMS conversation?

I quote the wrong post, I aimed to reply this you posted:

@msg7086 said:
    That's not true at all. Xiaomi only banned global rom on bootloader locked phones.
    The only requirement to get a global rom on a Chinese version phone is to unlock the phone, and keep it unlocked. Nothing more than that.
    I'm running MIUI global on my Xiaomi 8 UD (bought from taobao) with zero problem.

• moni099878moni099878 Member
    edited December 2018

@lowendclient said:

@moni099878 said:

@lowendclient said:

@msg7086 said:

@lemon said:

yeah... make no sense
    and I'm not a mifan

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited December 2018

@lowendclient said:

@msg7086 said:
    That's not true at all. Xiaomi only banned global rom on bootloader locked phones.
    The only requirement to get a global rom on a Chinese version phone is to unlock the phone, and keep it unlocked. Nothing more than that.
    I'm running MIUI global on my Xiaomi 8 UD (bought from taobao) with zero problem.

Mind you, I didn't explain anything other than stating the fact that it can be flashed to global ROM just as usual. To me I don't care what advertisement they make. If xiaomi produce a good phone, it will be in my choice. Operating system is a different story to me.

People buying computer usually don't care what operating system it carries. If my new computer comes with Windows 10 and I don't like it, I can replace it with Linux if I want. When it comes to phones, why would people care that much about the OS if we can unlock the BL and put w/e we want into it? (Yes I'm aware of the BL security issue, but still.)

• @msg7086 said:

@lowendclient said:

@msg7086 said:

Mind you, I didn't explain anything other than stating the fact that it can be flashed to global ROM just as usual. To me I don't care what advertisement they make. If xiaomi produce a good phone, it will be in my choice. Operating system is a different story to me.

People buying computer usually don't care what operating system it carries. If my new computer comes with Windows 10 and I don't like it, I can replace it with Linux if I want. When it comes to phones, why would people care that much about the OS if we can unlock the BL and put w/e we want into it? (Yes I'm aware of the BL security issue, but still.)

Nope, I care about advertisement. And it's not only about Xiaomi phone, and Xiaomi TV box. You can see how hard work users should do to remove ad from Xiaomi TV box:
    https://www.zhihu.com/question/54992021
    It's not only a 'unlock' can solve. And Xiaomi didn't tell their customers about the advertisement before.
    What's more I didn't focus on ad but the discrimination to Chinese and international customers. Why should Chinese customers have to make effort to remove ad but int'l customers can enjoy a pure firmware with their buying? Should Chinese customers born with advertising tolerance?

• @moni099878 said:

@lowendclient said:

@moni099878 said:

@lowendclient said:

@msg7086 said:

@lemon said:

yeah... make no sense
    and I'm not a mifan

It's true to some extent, after all, foreign gods won't see advertisement like low-end Chinese customers.

• @msg7086 said:

@lemon said:

sms in 2018?? wtf

It's a phone, right? SMS is a standard protocol right? I'm not forced to use crappy companies' proprietary software like wechat or QQ shit right? I don't have to force my colleagues to use Line or Facebook or Telegram right?

You think we should email each other instead?

Do you laugh at people who make phone calls in 2018 and think they should be using wechat calling?

Wow, you accuse me of a lot of things I've never said.
    Who the fuck is talking about WeChat?

It's a standard protocol, yes, but you shouldn't use it as your main communication channel, it's old and outdated.

• @lowendclient said:
    What's more I didn't focus on ad but the discrimination to Chinese and international customers. Why should Chinese customers have to make effort to remove ad but int'l customers can enjoy a pure firmware with their buying? Should Chinese customers born with advertising tolerance?

"Cheaper", you pay less money for more hassle. For example, in UK, Mi Mix 2S (6+64) is sold with discounts at 379GBP = 3312CNY. In China, Mi Mix 2S (6+128) is sold at 2699CNY. You want a cheaper phone? You get the ads instead. Would you say the higher price for international market is a discrimination to non-Chinese?

• @lemon said:

It's a standard protocol, yes, but you shouldn't use it as your main communication channel, it's old and outdated.

It's not my main comm channel. That's why it took me a month to hit that pain point when I hung out with my colleagues and our business partners and our common comm channel was a group SMS chat apart from emails and slack.

• dergelbedergelbe Member
    edited December 2018

@DataRecovery said:
    Two things you should keep in mind regarding Xiaomi:

1. Their phones send a lot of data somewhere in China in the background (at least MIUI ones).

2. Few months ago MIUI started showing numerous ads nearly everywhere.

@2: I have MIUI and no ads on my two global ROM 'Mi' phones.

@1: I am curious about the data transfer issue. How you check that? I noticed that some apps on my 2ndary Mi phone does that, For example Dianping (a Chinese restaurant app) sends information every Minute.

So, how to check, and how to block such apps when they are not in use.

• vaviloffvaviloff Member
    edited December 2018

I've got a Redmi Note 4 with MIUI 9 and it kind of looks and feels better than stock. But then MIUI 10 came and boy... how do I unsee it?

What I dont get is why all these big corporations like Google and Mi constantly break what isn't broken with their unending redesigns. I dont want new eye candy, dont have time or desire to retrain for new UI, just leave my phone be... no way.

• Mi A1 user here

I stick to custom ROMs as with my previous Xiaomi phone, Xiaomi is simply ridiculous in terms of software updates and I lost all trust after they managed to release an update that killed LTE (notorious band 20) in Europe.

• DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited December 2018

gol3m said: I have tried a few Chinese phone vendors ... Even the speaker is great

@gol3m You didn't try ZTE Axon 7, I assume? Or some Nubia phone?
    "Regular" ZTE phones (which are just "ZTE") are also generally better than their RedMi counterparts.

gol3m said: aluminum body phone that has clearances (the gap between two parts) like an iPhone

Didn't understand what you mean by this, but if we're looking for a "Chinese Apple", it isn't Xiaomi. It's either ZTE or Huawei.

Huawei phones are also good, BTW, but I don't know their product line well.

Besides that I have also seen numerous chinaphones, as I'm far from the US and they are popular here. 5-6 years ago there were a lot of vendors like Jiayu, Zopo, THL, etc., who were also making as good or even better phones than Xiaomi. But Xiaomi's overall strategy was better, hence they have survived on an extremely competitive market and became so well-known.

• DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited December 2018

dergelbe said: I have MIUI and no ads on my two global ROM 'Mi' phones

@dergelbe I don't have any, but a couple of months ago we've had a kind of shitstorm all over the internet here because of those ads in apps and settings. Here's an example:
    Xiaomi MIUI ads in apps and settings

dergelbe said: I am curious about the data transfer issue. How you check that? ... and how to block such apps

Start from checking this thread on Xiaomi forum and googling AnalyticsCore.apk

Blocking won't be easy, as these "features" are built-in. If you want, I can also try to find a link to a more detailed article about this matter, but that article isn't in English.

As for the checking yourself, get an absolutely new Xiaomi phone (not A1/A2, probably), set up a Wi-Fi network and install packet sniffer, make sure no other devices are connected to that router. Power the phone on, connect to the network above and enjoy the logs.

• Again, I bought (and ended up keeping) my Xiaomi because it had the best price:quality ratio (with the quality being very good). If I had seen a better Huawei or ZTE phone, I would have bought that.

• I got a Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro and I had the MiUi by default but as a launcher, I use POCO Launcher

• In my POCO F1, I'm using MIUI 10 from https://xiaomi.eu .

• I use a Stylo2 and I like it. Can't complain for the price, except I can't root it or anything. That kind of pisses me a bit, and it is stuck on Android 5.1.1. No option for an upgrades since the carrier is douche.

• redmi note 4 user(?) I'm currently on an s9

but you can install xiaomi.eu MIUI, it has the debloat and stuff like that

• malekmalek Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

Using Mi A1 at the moment, very nice phone. I'm running the stock ROM though I've rooted it.

It just works, much like my Thinkpad :)

• Had a Redmi 5A and hated MIUI, so flashed Pixel Experience

Now I have an A2 Lite with stock Android (and cam2api) and I love it

• @yokowasis said:

@Ympker said:

@ofit said:
    use lineageOS

Does it look similar to EMUI/MIUI or do you recommend it because it is stable, performant and light-weigth? Because that is not what I am currently looking for. As long as basic phone tasks (whatsapp, camera, browser..) still work I don't mind a little slow down to get a more interesting look/UI than Stock Android :P

It's basically cyanogenmod. Looks closer to Stock Android UI than the MIUI.

@Adam1 said:

yokowasis said: tock Launcher can't even swipe down to see notification ffs. How stupid is that ?

is that an oreo+ thing? all of my previous asop phones ive been able to swipe down for notifications unless im misunderstanding you

AOSP is Custom ROM. Of course they will add that basic functionality.

Also there seems to be a little misunderstanding in this discussion. Mi A1 comes with a STOCK Android. Stock As in a VERY BASIC FUNCTIONALITY, not as in LineageOS, AOSP, Pixel Experience or other custom ROM that is based on Stock Android.

Mi A1 comes with Stock Android. e.g. no fancy feature. it Even doesn't have swipe down gesture of notification. If I get to choose between stock android and miui custom rom, I will choose miui.

But If I got to choose between MIUI and Other Custom ROM, that's a discussion for another day.

I myself using Pixel Experience in my MI A1.

You must be thinking of AOSPExtended. AOSP is just stock Android

• @DataRecovery said:

Ympker said: my Mi A1 ... friends Xiaomi 5A ...

Stick to it. That's probably their best / the only one worth buying phone.
    Mi A2 is worse, despite newer, IMO.

Two things you should keep in mind regarding Xiaomi:

1. Their phones send a lot of data somewhere in China in the background (at least MIUI ones).

2. Few months ago MIUI started showing numerous ads nearly everywhere.

And generally I'd say that I do not understand all the hype around Xiaomi. They're just one of the Chinese phone vendors, which was lucky to became well-known.

A2 Lite is actually better than the A2 IMO