Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Xiaomi phone users here? Do you use Stock Android or MiUI?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Xiaomi phone users here? Do you use Stock Android or MiUI?

So my Mi A1 came with stock android (/Android One) by default instead of MiUI. I now saw MiUI at a friends Xiaomi 5A and tbh. it doesn't look so bad on a phone either. Anyway do you, as a Xiamoi phone user, prefer MiUI (subjectively better looking, some custom "features", mi bloatware, less frequent updates) or Stock Android (stabley frequent updates, faster)?

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

yes bloatware full but miui as I do not care much . I am ads blind

• MIUI has a lot of customization to feet it more like iOS or better.

In order to get rid of bloatware, you may consider to use Global MIUI ROM instead of China MIUI ROM.

Thanked by 2Ympker Wolveix
  • Mi a1 user here. Stock Android is light weight and all, but it's just that, stock. Which is inferior in almost all aspect. MIUI is great, especially if you have a lot of spare resources such as on MI A1. Stock Launcher can't even swipe down to see notification ffs. How stupid is that ?

I myself use Google Pixel Experience ROM as my daily driver.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

if you're just after a change in UI while keeping stock android as-is (updates etc), you could install the POCO Launcher (POCO is a subsidy owned by Xiaomi) which should give you a similar look as the Xiaomi phone,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mi.android.globallauncher

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I used Redmi Note 3 for like 3 years and changed to Galaxy Note 9 lately. I kinda miss MIUI a lot. They do have a lot of features that other manufacturers doesn't have (Autostart management/long-press back key to force close app/Mi Sim/etc.). About the Mi bloatware, I kinda found almost all of them useful, and some of those I didin't need could be removed (except for the Mi Store app). As for the less frequent update, you can always get a developer's rom to get weekly updates.

Keep in mind that I was using a chinese rom (although I'm not chinese and I don't live in china) and I am a big fan of Xiaomi

Thanked by 2Ympker yomero
  • @SpeedBus said:
    if you're just after a change in UI while keeping stock android as-is (updates etc), you could install the POCO Launcher (POCO is a subsidy owned by Xiaomi) which should give you a similar look as the Xiaomi phone,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mi.android.globallauncher

Lookin' cool :) Gonna check it out^^

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • Personally, I use stock android because MIUI has had an infinite number of problems for me (not going to deliberate, but mostly due to how app notifications/background apps were handled).

I also favor the stock design compared to MIUI.

• yokowasis said: tock Launcher can't even swipe down to see notification ffs. How stupid is that ?

is that an oreo+ thing? all of my previous asop phones ive been able to swipe down for notifications unless im misunderstanding you

• MIUI=ad
    From a Chinese user

• I have used MIUI and Android stock experience using cyanogen mod CM 13 on a same handset....

LG optimus G

Speed : No arguments there CM wins
    Updates : CM wins
    Ease of use : MIUI

If you are a power use then simply use stock and Android and customize it using third part apps ( busybox substratum) and you are good to go

I am Myself stuck waiting for miui 10 on note 4x :neutral:

• @sanvit said:
    I used Redmi Note 3 for like 3 years and changed to Galaxy Note 9 lately. I kinda miss MIUI a lot. They do have a lot of features that other manufacturers doesn't have (Autostart management/long-press back key to force close app/Mi Sim/etc.)

I miss the force close on long-press too . Now on a stock(ish) oreo via Asus Zenfone. (yay 6G RAM)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • WebGuruWebGuru Member
    edited December 2018

Stay far away from MIUI 10 it's an OS full of bugs and ads. I will recommend MIUI 9. I am using Note 5 Pro and also tested Note 6 Pro and i gotta admit video call result in xiaomi sucks and the camera looks like from VGA era in whatsapp, facebook etc otherwise the camera result is fine in stock camera app.

Thanked by 3eol Ympker Hybrid
  • The biggest issues i found in Xiaomi phones and MIUI

Notifications for many apps doesn't work.
    Auto brightness sucks
    Camera in Video calls sucks no matter even if it's 16MP dual camera
    AI mode not available in devices like Note 5 AI although they marketed it as AI model.
    Calls randomly go on Speaker mode.
    and the list of bugs is very long...

And i am saying this after testing different models of xiaomi/redmi

Thanked by 3eol Ympker Hybrid
  • @WebGuru

Thanks for the feedback :) What a shame though. Was looking for some different style/look than stock android as it's performant but kinda boring. Played around with Nova Launcher and Poco for a bit now, but not really getting what I wanted. Maybe my next phone is gonna be a Huawei/Honor to check out EMUI. This one is very custom from stock android too, but supposedly very stable.

• @Ympker said:
    @WebGuru

Thanks for the feedback :) What a shame though. Was looking for some different style/look than stock android as it's performant but kinda boring. Played around with Nova Launcher and Poco for a bit now, but not really getting what I wanted. Maybe my next phone is gonna be a Huawei/Honor to check out EMUI. This one is very custom from stock android too, but supposedly very stable.

Yea Xiaomi ruined MIUI with their recent updates otherwise MIUI 9 fine. Btw if i am not wrong you can't use custom roms on Huawei/Honor because Huawei don't allow unlocking bootloader anymore. Xiaomi allow unlocking bootloader for their devices so you can use all type custom roms on them but they changed their policy and now it takes 720 hours (1 month) to get bootloader unlocked from Xiaomi after requesting.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I use MIUI (on version 10 global). No problems here. I actually like the interface and the number of options. When I first received the phone I was going to wipe it and put stock android on it, but I've grown to like the interface. I don't get any ads like some say, is that for a different version?

There are a couple of things I wish I could change, but there are in stock android as well.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker forgot to mention there are custom roms based on MIUI as well i mean they are custom roms with optimizations but look is MIUI and i will recommend you to take a look at Masik the best MIUI based custom rom with insane battery life. There are others as well like miuipro, miui.am, xiaomi.eu etc all of them are MIUI based

Thanked by 1eol
  • @WebGuru said:

@Ympker said:
    @WebGuru

Yea Xiaomi ruined MIUI with their recent updates otherwise MIUI 9 fine. Btw if i am not wrong you can't use custom roms on Huawei/Honor because Huawei don't allow unlocking bootloader anymore. Xiaomi allow unlocking bootloader for their devices so you can use all type custom roms on them but they changed their policy and now it takes 720 hours (1 month) to get bootloader unlocked from Xiaomi after requesting.

Hmm..maybe I'll give MIUI 9 a spin then.. or is it really bad? Huawei/Honor already uses EMUI correct? So I wouldn't need bootloader anyway or am I missing something here? Do some Huawei/Honor still come with regular Android?

• My MIUI 10 sucks, apps almost always crash, MIUI 9 was super stable

• Does anyone from the people who use MIUI have a good tutorial for flashing/installing it? Never have used a custom rom for any of my phones yet :P

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

Miui 10 I am using right now ... no issue noted. Have ads around default apps it can be blocked in settings

Looks like smooth iPhone interface experience now

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker said:

@WebGuru said:

@Ympker said:
    @WebGuru

Hmm..maybe I'll give MIUI 9 a spin then.. or is it really bad? Huawei/Honor already uses EMUI correct? So I wouldn't need bootloader anyway or am I missing something here? Do some Huawei/Honor still come with regular Android?

MIUI 9 was much better it is the MIUI10 that is so freaking buggy and even the regular updates are not fixing major issues in it. They come with EMUI (still you can confirm by watching specs of model at gsmarena website). Unlocked bootloader is a cool thing to have in pocket in case you wana try custom roms in future or wana play with the system like dirty flashing, boot animations etc etc.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker said:
    Does anyone from the people who use MIUI have a good tutorial for flashing/installing it? Never have used a custom rom for any of my phones yet :P

XDA is the place to begin for you and there are many xiaomi videos on youtube where you can learn how to unlock bootloader thn replace the default recovery with custom recovery and thn how to install custom roms over it. Also make sure to read about ARB3 and ARB4 thing because downgrading to a lower version of ARB will result in bricking your phone.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I use a Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus and have tried other roms (as I used to default to Cyanogen/Lineage), however, MIUI Global has taken the spot of my favourite ROM. It's clean, fast, and doesn't have much if any bloatware. Xiaomi do offer their own methods to flash their devices, though be warned that you'll need to unlock your bootloader which will take at least a week (as Xiaomi annoyingly raised the grace period after unlocking your bootloader). I'm not sure whether this will impact installing a Xiaomi ROM (as changing from their stable to development build didn't require an unlock), but it will definitely impact third-party ROMs.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Use the xiaomi.eu version, its less bloated and faster than the original version.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I got a Xiaomi 4c 2 years ago and almost immediately flashed it into stock android. So much AD everywhere, in your SMS app, dial app, web browser, settings, anywhere that you can ever think of.

Now I got my Mi8 Pro which still lacks stock android ROMs due to lack of kernel source. I'm forced to use MIUI global ROM, and still it comes with tons of bloatware that I can't get rid off, including browsers, video players, "security center", etc.. The ROM even automatically adds apps onto your desktop.

I'm still waiting for a custom ROM. I'd love to use Resurrection Remix, but they don't seem to release new ROMs any more. Will probably have to find some alternatives by then.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

Those who worry about ads in miui.
    the apps which shows adscan be turned off from their respective settings
    Security : https://i.postimg.cc/4y7r78MH/Screenshot-2018-12-17-16-04-16-963-com-miui-securitycenter.jpg

Mi video : https://i.postimg.cc/1tnQw5Vz/Screenshot-2018-12-17-16-05-40-930-com-miui-videoplayer.jpg

You can also turn off app recommend over the category

• On my older Redmi 3 Pro, I use LineageOS. Very stable and OTA updates 1-4 times a month. And no bloat. Very happy with it. :)

Thanked by 1trishmapow2
  • Pocophone F1 user here, Miui 10 Android 9.0.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Although MIUI is really convenient, especially in China, I use lineage os and quite satisfied with it. The reason I turn MIUI to LOS at first is to format an SD card into internal storage while MIUI doesn't support that. LOS is also more flexible in other aspects than MIUI, so I won't turn to MIUI anymore.