Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Xiaomi phone users here? Do you use Stock Android or MiUI? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Xiaomi phone users here? Do you use Stock Android or MiUI?

Comments

• I use MIUI and am using SD Card as internal storage. Not sure about the other aspects though. Haven't looked into LOS yet.

@lantudai said:
    Although MIUI is really convenient, especially in China, I use lineage os and quite satisfied with it. The reason I turn MIUI to LOS at first is to format an SD card into internal storage while MIUI doesn't support that. LOS is also more flexible in other aspects than MIUI, so I won't turn to MIUI anymore.

• @kendid said:
    I use MIUI and am using SD Card as internal storage. Not sure about the other aspects though. Haven't looked into LOS yet.

are you sure that internal storage not portable one. MIUI didnt support SD Card as internal storage since ages ago. care to share screen shot of your storage settings?

• MIUI is faster, but stock android is more clean. Also MIUI has better jpeg quality on camera.

• @lantudai said:
    Although MIUI is really convenient, especially in China, I use lineage os and quite satisfied with it. The reason I turn MIUI to LOS at first is to format an SD card into internal storage while MIUI doesn't support that. LOS is also more flexible in other aspects than MIUI, so I won't turn to MIUI anymore.

In China I have to use MIUI, not because MIUI is faster, but I need it to remote control my router, sweeping robot, smart watches, Xiaomi TV, air conditioner, rice cooker, washing machine, toys for my daughter... everything is MIUI.

Thanked by 2Ympker vimalware
  • ralphralph Member
    edited December 2018

Both stock android and MiUI are full of trojan malware and since it's impossible to fully debloat MiUI even if you try hard, I'm using AOSP Extended with F-Droid as a package manager on my Redmi 5A, without GApps installed.

• lemonlemon Member
    edited December 2018

miui, i don't see any point in installing stock android, because everything just works out of the box.

• emperoremperor Member
    edited December 2018

@Ympker

With what version came your mi a1, and did you update to oreo and latest? Also did you have any bugs or issues with the phone. Im asking because im running on November 2017 version still, and lot of ppl are complaining about latest updates.

btw I prefer more MIUI instead of stock android, however mi a1 is the 1st xiaomi phone made together in partnership with google and comes with android only. I read that also after buying the phone..

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @emperor said:
    @Ympker

With what version came your mi a1, and did you update to oreo and latest? Also did you have any bugs or issues with the phone. Im asking because im running on November 2017 version still, and lot of ppl are complaining about latest updates.

btw I prefer more MIUI instead of stock android, however mi a1 is the 1st xiaomi phone made together in partnership with google and comes with android only. I read that also after buying the phone..

Android 8.1.0 (patch security updates: Nov 1st 2018).
    It came with Android One installed. No bugs/problems so far though.

Thanked by 1emperor
  • use lineageOS

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2018

@ofit said:
    use lineageOS

Does it look similar to EMUI/MIUI or do you recommend it because it is stable, performant and light-weigth? Because that is not what I am currently looking for. As long as basic phone tasks (whatsapp, camera, browser..) still work I don't mind a little slow down to get a more interesting look/UI than Stock Android :P

• Xiaomi banned MIUI Global ROM run on MI Phones manufactured by China
    Chinese users have to endure endless advertisement on MIUI Chinese Version.
    What a ridiculous self racial discrimination, will never use Xiaomi!

• @lowendclient said:
    Xiaomi banned MIUI Global ROM run on MI Phones manufactured by China

Nothing will be unacceptable when you get used to it

• Mi Mix 2S (global ROM) - really good phone. One of the few affordable phones that have wireless charging.
    I saw some ROM developments on XDA but I do worry about 100% compatibility. MIUI is not as bad as a STD, but it's nothing I would install by free will.
    Anybody did a pure android on the MIUI phone? How is it?

Chinese users have to endure endless advertisement

I would never ever buy a Chinese ROM. Once I installed the Chinese QQ version on a Windows 7 PC. I came with plenty of add-ons, like antivirus360 and other crap. Every Minute you had a popup. I didn't manage to remove it, so in the end did a total Windows 7 new install.

The Global ROM MIUI compare to that is totally fine, at least it's ad free.

• Nah I'm using Pixel Experience on my Redmi 3s

• MiUI is OK .

• @Ympker said:

@ofit said:
    use lineageOS

Does it look similar to EMUI/MIUI or do you recommend it because it is stable, performant and light-weigth? Because that is not what I am currently looking for. As long as basic phone tasks (whatsapp, camera, browser..) still work I don't mind a little slow down to get a more interesting look/UI than Stock Android :P

It's basically cyanogenmod. Looks closer to Stock Android UI than the MIUI.

@Adam1 said:

yokowasis said: tock Launcher can't even swipe down to see notification ffs. How stupid is that ?

is that an oreo+ thing? all of my previous asop phones ive been able to swipe down for notifications unless im misunderstanding you

AOSP is Custom ROM. Of course they will add that basic functionality.

Also there seems to be a little misunderstanding in this discussion. Mi A1 comes with a STOCK Android. Stock As in a VERY BASIC FUNCTIONALITY, not as in LineageOS, AOSP, Pixel Experience or other custom ROM that is based on Stock Android.

Mi A1 comes with Stock Android. e.g. no fancy feature. it Even doesn't have swipe down gesture of notification. If I get to choose between stock android and miui custom rom, I will choose miui.

But If I got to choose between MIUI and Other Custom ROM, that's a discussion for another day.

I myself using Pixel Experience in my MI A1.

• @Ympker said:

@ofit said:
    use lineageOS

i have recommend it because you can use open source instead google services and it performant and light-weigth

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited December 2018

yokowasis said: AOSP is Custom ROM. Of course they will add that basic functionality.

Also there seems to be a little misunderstanding in this discussion. Mi A1 comes with a STOCK Android. Stock As in a VERY BASIC FUNCTIONALITY, not as in LineageOS, AOSP, Pixel Experience or other custom ROM that is based on Stock Android.

Mi A1 comes with Stock Android. e.g. no fancy feature. it Even doesn't have swipe down gesture of notification. If I get to choose between stock android and miui custom rom, I will choose miui.

But If I got to choose between MIUI and Other Custom ROM, that's a discussion for another day.

mmmm I dont think that is right. AOSP (Android Open Source Project) means stock for all intents and purposes, it's a rom compiled from the source code (and adapted to work on the hardware). https://source.android.com/ It's as stock as it gets. it has screen swipe down notifications.

it isnt clear, but are you referring to screen or fingerprint sensor swipe down notifications? I'm guessing now you mean the fingerprint swipe down.

• @lowendclient said:
    Xiaomi banned MIUI Global ROM run on MI Phones manufactured by China

That's not true at all. Xiaomi only banned global rom on bootloader locked phones.

The only requirement to get a global rom on a Chinese version phone is to unlock the phone, and keep it unlocked. Nothing more than that.

I'm running MIUI global on my Xiaomi 8 UD (bought from taobao) with zero problem.

• @lemon said:
    miui, i don't see any point in installing stock android, because everything just works out of the box.

I thought the same, until this week when I was trying to chat in a group SMS conversation. All the chat messages are split into separate threads, and it just look like everybody is talking on their own when they are actually chatting with each other. I can't reply to them as well. Can't be more confused when my friends hung out and I couldn't even tell them I'm on my way.

• DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited December 2018

Ympker said: my Mi A1 ... friends Xiaomi 5A ...

Stick to it. That's probably their best / the only one worth buying phone.
    Mi A2 is worse, despite newer, IMO.

Two things you should keep in mind regarding Xiaomi:

1. Their phones send a lot of data somewhere in China in the background (at least MIUI ones).

2. Few months ago MIUI started showing numerous ads nearly everywhere.

And generally I'd say that I do not understand all the hype around Xiaomi. They're just one of the Chinese phone vendors, which was lucky to became well-known.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @msg7086 said:

@lemon said:

I thought the same, until this week when I was trying to chat in a group SMS conversation. All the chat messages are split into separate threads, and it just look like everybody is talking on their own when they are actually chatting with each other. I can't reply to them as well. Can't be more confused when my friends hung out and I couldn't even tell them I'm on my way.

sms in 2018?? wtf

• I've used A1 with Android One before, it was aight...

• RicartaRicarta Member, LIR

I have xiaomi mi 8 and using Miui. Didn't have any problems at all.

• Mi a2 is good. Now on Pie. 6hr+ SOT on dual 4G/3G sims

• I bought a Mi Mix 2, fully prepared to install a stock ROM shortly after getting it up and running. After a few weeks on MIUI though, I couldn't go back. The full screen gestures are fantastic and have proved to be a "killer feature" I couldn't give up. The performance is adequate and stable. Updates are regular and security patches are up to date. No complaints.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Adam1 said:

yokowasis said: AOSP is Custom ROM. Of course they will add that basic functionality.

mmmm I dont think that is right. AOSP (Android Open Source Project) means stock for all intents and purposes, it's a rom compiled from the source code (and adapted to work on the hardware). https://source.android.com/ It's as stock as it gets. it has screen swipe down notifications.

it isnt clear, but are you referring to screen or fingerprint sensor swipe down notifications? I'm guessing now you mean the fingerprint swipe down.

Stock ROM is a ROM that comes pre-installed by the vendor. MIUI is a stock ROM for some Xiaomi phones. If you need to flash AOSP on your phone , that AOSP is a custom ROM. And as most another custom ROM it comes with additional features added by the ROM Creator.

So you see , the AOSP ROM you downloaded on XDA , and flashed to your phone is hardly a stock ROM.

If You want to see how Real AOSP Stock ROM, you got to buy Android One phone, or Nexus phone. Such as the OP's phone (Mi A1). You Will realize how it has very few feature. No wonder it's very lightweight.

• Using MIUI 10 and the release was limited but they slowly gave that 10 upgrade to lower spec phones.

Using MIUI 10 now ..

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited December 2018

@msg7086 said:

@lemon said:

That cant explain the advertisement in xiaomi TV and xiaomi Router.
    All I focus is the advertisement only for Chinese market,
    this kind of discrimination is unacceptable.