Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 471
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• @yoursunny said:
    Moreover, I forgot to install Debian 6 template first, so I have crummy QEMU Virtual CPU.

@FrankZ said:
    Thanks for the Debian 6 tip. I have finished reinstalling seven of my VirMach servers so far and they all now show with CPU pass thru and AES flags.

Guys, could you please provide a link, so I can read about what exactly you're doing and for what purpose?

I'm updating one of my VirMach machines at the moment (the smallest one - 384 MB RAM), so the timing is perfect for experiments.

• Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • rhinoduckrhinoduck Member
    edited September 2021

@DataRecovery said:

@yoursunny said:
    Moreover, I forgot to install Debian 6 template first, so I have crummy QEMU Virtual CPU.

@FrankZ said:
    Thanks for the Debian 6 tip. I have finished reinstalling seven of my VirMach servers so far and they all now show with CPU pass thru and AES flags.

Guys, could you please provide a link, so I can read about what exactly you're doing and for what purpose?

I'm updating one of my VirMach machines at the moment (the smallest one - 384 MB RAM), so the timing is perfect for experiments.

The main why would be the performance advantage when encrypting/decrypting data with many commonly used libraries/protocols/services... https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-advanced-encryption-standard-instructions-aes-ni.html

To check if the AES instruction set is available/enabled on your VPS, run cat /proc/cpuinfo and look for 'aes' under 'flags'. You can also do cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep aes to save your eyes the work.

To enable CPU pass-through (and thus for sure the AES instruction set), if it isn't enabled already, on VirMach VPSes, reinstall the OS from the panel using any template which has 'Gen2' in its name. This only needs to be done once, then you can use whatever available ISO to install whatever system you want, and the setting will stick between reinstalls. As to what happens if you try to reinstall using a non-gen2 template, that I do not know.

Just to make sure no one comes back complaining later: REINSTALLING THE OS ON YOUR VPS WILL WIPE ALL OF THE DATA IT HOLDS.

• donlidonli Member
    edited September 2021

@rhinoduck said:

Just to make sure no one comes back complaining later: REINSTALLING THE OS ON YOUR VPS WILL WIPE ALL OF THE DATA IT HOLDS.

We know all lowenders keep multiple backups.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fO-VIoyomB8

Thanked by 2yoursunny imok
  • I'm making loaded tater tots, or "totchos".

Thanked by 3FrankZ plumberg bdl
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Late update, but some good progress. I'll still go through your comments later.

Ryzen: Phoenix is up (not live yet as a node.) Hardware ready, in the cabinet, connected to IPMI, switch, power. Network ready, IPv4 & IPv6. SolusVM is going to be configured and then anyone on Phoenix should receive a migration notice e-mail.

Everywhere else, no update yet, behind by a few days, unfortunately. Hopefully no further delay, I'll try to update you guys again by Wednesday. I got sidetracked with some hardware acquisitions/meetings with vendors. No good news there either, we almost secured all the rest of the parts needed for Ryzen but the deal fell apart. We do still have enough builds to go into Q1 2022 in terms of planned migrations. We may just be a little bit short on rails but getting that sorted.

Storage: Good progress here. All 3 nodes are almost fully ready, just sorting out miscellaneous tidbits. This will be enough space to migrate current storage nodes from Buffalo, and we'll have an additional 476TB of space for new services. We also pretty much have the parts for a 4th storage node, which may be reserved for Japan.

Boxes are ready to ship out at least two of these plus the hard drives, very close.

E3's: I will provide some more information on the relevant thread but basically, we ordered 50~ more processors since there seemed to be a high demand for E3-1245v2, and more SSDs to go with it. I've also been testing out some of the potential Ryzen builds for anyone who did want to do a (paid) upgrade so those should move forward soon as well.

Templates: We've been working on templates.

• Ubuntu 20 w/ Desktop, ready and tested. Installation functional, networking functional, password reset functional. Will be synced and pushed out as "beta."
    • Ubuntu 18 w/ Desktop, ready and tested. Installation, networking, password reset functional. Same as above.
    • Windows 2019 Eval w/ VirtIO drivers, ready. Being tested further now but looks good so far. Self serve/automatic Windows re-installs will be re-enabled. Later on we'll do a licensed version for Ryzen nodes.
    • Alma Linux (CentOS 8 Fork.) Almost ready.
    • Debian 11, not ready but planned. Debian 10 also being redone.
    • Ubuntu 20 non-desktop, not ready but planned and relatively easy to do.

All relevant ISOs (to the above) will most likely also be added/synced as well. If you have any popular OS template requests I missed above, now is a good time to suggest them.

Tickets: We fell behind on these and still catching up (later than I would have liked.) I do apologize for the extended wait on some tickets. I'll provide an update later today.

• @donli said:

@rhinoduck said:

Certainly! One with HostSolutions, a second one with HotlineServers; and then backups of backups with Hosterlabs and Clouveo.

• @rhinoduck said:

@donli said:

@rhinoduck said:

Certainly! One with HostSolutions, a second one with HotlineServers; and then backups of backups with Hosterlabs and Clouveo.

Shit, what could possibly go wrong? Haha :)

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

@dahartigan said:

@rhinoduck said:

@donli said:

@rhinoduck said:

Shit, what could possibly go wrong? Haha :)

Abso fucking ludly nothing LOL

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • meomeowmeomeow Member
    edited September 2021

@VirMach said:

Ryzen: Phoenix is up (not live yet as a node.) Hardware ready, in the cabinet, connected to IPMI, switch, power. Network ready, IPv4 & IPv6. SolusVM is going to be configured and then anyone on Phoenix should receive a migration notice e-mail.

Everywhere else, no update yet, behind by a few days, unfortunately. Hopefully no further delay, I'll try to update you guys again by Wednesday. I got sidetracked with some hardware acquisitions/meetings with vendors. No good news there either, we almost secured all the rest of the parts needed for Ryzen but the deal fell apart. We do still have enough builds to go into Q1 2022 in terms of planned migrations. We may just be a little bit short on rails but getting that sorted.

Storage: Good progress here. All 3 nodes are almost fully ready, just sorting out miscellaneous tidbits. This will be enough space to migrate current storage nodes from Buffalo, and we'll have an additional 476TB of space for new services. We also pretty much have the parts for a 4th storage node, which may be reserved for Japan.

Boxes are ready to ship out at least two of these plus the hard drives, very close.

E3's: I will provide some more information on the relevant thread but basically, we ordered 50~ more processors since there seemed to be a high demand for E3-1245v2, and more SSDs to go with it. I've also been testing out some of the potential Ryzen builds for anyone who did want to do a (paid) upgrade so those should move forward soon as well.

• Ubuntu 20 w/ Desktop, ready and tested. Installation functional, networking functional, password reset functional. Will be synced and pushed out as "beta."
    • Ubuntu 18 w/ Desktop, ready and tested. Installation, networking, password reset functional. Same as above.
    • Windows 2019 Eval w/ VirtIO drivers, ready. Being tested further now but looks good so far. Self serve/automatic Windows re-installs will be re-enabled. Later on we'll do a licensed version for Ryzen nodes.

All relevant ISOs (to the above) will most likely also be added/synced as well. If you have any popular OS template requests I missed above, now is a good time to suggest them.

Tickets: We fell behind on these and still catching up (later than I would have liked.) I do apologize for the extended wait on some tickets. I'll provide an update later today.

Hello, Bro! What about the progress of activating pending orders? Should I send a ticket to accelerate the addressing progress of my pending VPS bought at 5 days ago? Will I be refunded because of sending this ticket?

• @meomeow - Wish I had a 434 Pending. Your so lucky.

Thanked by 1meomeow
  • meomeowmeomeow Member
    edited September 2021

@FrankZ said:
    @meomeow - Wish I had a 434 Pending. Your so lucky.

I was debugging my web system when I purchased $4.34. Absolutely I am that Lucky guy! :D

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • It took me a while to understand :D

Thanked by 1donli
  • @VirMach said:

Super excited to see the dedicated servers get closer to deployment, hopefully I can stop idling my E3 servers and get that Ryzen upgrade soon :smiley:

• donlidonli Member
    edited September 2021

@rhinoduck said:

@donli said:

@rhinoduck said:

No Alpharacks?

• Why is this place so inactive?

• @randomq said:
    I'm making loaded tater tots, or "totchos".

Spicy?

• @imok said:
    Why is this place so inactive?

Is there a more active 3-year old thread?

• @imok said:

@randomq said:
    I'm making loaded tater tots, or "totchos".

Spicy?

Yes, in mine I used jalepeño, chipotle, queso, bacon, and sour cream. I also baked the tots first with onion and garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and paprika.

• @imok said:

Double prizes were received. Our idling collections are complete. Ryzen is practically here. We have reached Nirvana, with no more desires, except for the occasional @imok blog posts.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@randomq said:
    Double prizes were received. Our idling collections are complete. Ryzen is practically here. We have reached Nirvana, with no more desires, except for the occasional imok blog posts.

Waiting for Alpha Test on those sweet Ryzen!!!

Thanked by 1ZA_capetown

Sweet Ryzen

Thanked by 3cybertech imok FrankZ
  • More like Budget Ryzen... but hey, that fits even more the theme!

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • @randomq said:

@imok said:

Double prizes were received. Our idling collections are complete. Ryzen is practically here. We have reached Nirvana, with no more desires, except for the occasional @imok blog posts.

:(

• My arm hurts, the same with my knee.

• @meomeow said:

@VirMach said:

Hello, Bro! What about the progress of activating pending orders? Should I send a ticket to accelerate the addressing progress of my pending VPS bought at 5 days ago? Will I be refunded because of sending this ticket?

It's another day to wait for Virmach to show up :D

• @donli said:

@rhinoduck said:

@donli said:

@rhinoduck said:

No Alpharacks?

The first rule of AlphaRacks: You do not talk about AlphaRacks.

• @rhinoduck said:

@donli said:

@rhinoduck said:

@donli said:

@rhinoduck said:

No Alpharacks?

The first rule of AlphaRacks: You do not talk about AlphaRacks.

Only for the Nerd/Racks gang, not the rest of the LE* crowd.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
    edited September 2021

Benchmark on the Ryzen Alpha Test instance is here 🎉

I heard VirMach is activating the Alpha instance for all the registered Alpha testers, tell me what you want me to run and I will try my best to run them for you :)

Please be reminded that as this is an Alpha test, your mileage may vary in Beta / actual VPS, hopefully in a good way

Specs:

• 3 vCPU (Ryzen 9 3900X @ 3.8GHz)
    • 4GB RAM (DDR-3200 ECC)
    • 100GB NVMe
    • 1Gbps Port

Let's start with YABS:

YABS

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2021-06-05                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Wed Sep 29 05:11:39 EDT 2021

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 3 @ 3799.998 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 3.9 GiB
    Swap       : 256.0 MiB
    Disk       : 98.2 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 348.19 MB/s  (87.0k) | 581.49 MB/s   (9.0k)
    Write      | 349.11 MB/s  (87.2k) | 584.55 MB/s   (9.1k)
    Total      | 697.30 MB/s (174.3k) | 1.16 GB/s    (18.2k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 688.30 MB/s   (1.3k) | 722.00 MB/s    (705)
    Write      | 724.87 MB/s   (1.4k) | 770.09 MB/s    (752)
    Total      | 1.41 GB/s     (2.7k) | 1.49 GB/s     (1.4k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 774 Mbits/sec   | 173 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 832 Mbits/sec   | 193 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 782 Mbits/sec   | 174 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | busy            | busy
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 877 Mbits/sec   | 525 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 898 Mbits/sec   | 582 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 940 Mbits/sec   | 941 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 733 Mbits/sec   | 193 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1368
    Multi Core      | 3643
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/10136897

Not the best bench for disk and network but as this is Alpha testing, VirMach is still tweaking the parameters.

Based on my testing only Debian 8 and Ubuntu 18 Desktop is working in the OS Template list for now.