Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 262
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• So now that we've seen some good deals, anyone planning to cancel/transfer anything from last year? I think only one of mine I might get rid of.

• Somehow I love all the deals I got last year, especially those OVZs that got converted to KVM :smiley:

The only deal (easter egg, actually) that I got rid off was the 50% off storage server, mainly because I always tripped the CPU abuse bot during my initial rsync. My mistake was that I should have offered it for transfer here instead of cancelling it outright.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@scorcher9 said:
    Anyway FAT32 your app was really helpful. If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for the backend?

Frontend is React and Backend is Node.js, I didnt actually hide the information well enough so if you try to look around you can know what I used for backend haha

• FAT32 said: I didnt actually hide the information well enough so if you try to look around you can know what I used for backend

I tried but couldn't find anything, any pointers on where to look? By default there is the x-powered-by header but I didn't see that.

Hmm seems like Cloudflare blocked the headers. Anyway, it is just typical Node.js with Express. I spend 85% of the time on the frontend so the backend is quite plain and ugly.

• @FAT32 got it, thanks :)

It does it's job well, and the whole app is really snappy so I was curious.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • imokimok Member
    edited December 2019

There is a turkey making noises on my roof at 5:30AM WTF

I saw it first time around 1 hour ago but I thought it was a dream.

Thanked by 3FAT32 FrankZ uptime
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited December 2019

imok said: There is a turkey making noises on my roof at 5:30AM WTF

Make sure it does not get inside.
    I had a duck fly in from an open balcony a couple months ago, it was tough to get him back out.

Note: No #ducks were harmed during this incident.

Thanked by 3uptime FAT32 imok

@scorcher9 said:
    It does it's job well, and the whole app is really snappy so I was curious.

That's why I like being a frontend developer, if the front looks good, no one know how horrible the backend is. But if the front is shitty, it is damn obvious.

• #ducks

Thanked by 3FrankZ FAT32 imok
  • @JabJab said:
    btw. @FAT32 I am not sure if using non-aff link in your price monitor will help VirMach that much - if anyone ever clicked that other guys one it will save the cookie for some time and they will still get profits - even when rest of links comes from your/virmach site, right?

Yes, I did just confirm this... That is, I don't know if Virmach is doing some internal expiration based on the timestamp they store on the cookie (instead of deleting the cookie), but when I refreshed a page, there still was a Aff cookie with an 11/29 timestamp on my browser!... hmmm...

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Probably Virmach don't apply affiliate anyway. I would not bother too much with that.

I recall someone mentioned about this wiki page few pages ago, so I decided to use it as a suggestion for deals.

This is what I am thinking for this year "Buffalo^n Special"

Based on Wikipedia, "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct sentence [1]. Further research shows that the n-th number in sequence A007477 gives the number of possible ways to parse an English sentence consisting of just n+1 copies of word "buffalo" [2].

Therefore, I am hoping for a Buffalo^n special with the following specs, which is selected from the sequence. $6/yr, 2 IPv4, 3 vCPU, 6GB RAM, 22GB SSD, 832GB Bandwidth.

A007477: 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 6, 11, 22, 44, 90, 187, 392, 832, 1778, ...

If anyone have a better idea please comment in this thread :)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo
    [2] https://oeis.org/A007477

Thanked by 1uptime
  • This is a good deal, but not crazy as the FAT32 deal, so if it happen, I hope it will not too hard to get.

edited December 2019

@ben47955 said:
    This is a good deal, but not crazy as the FAT32 deal, so if it happen, I hope it will not too hard to get.

Providers live matters. I don't want to request too much from VirMach so I also selected a spec that is more reasonable and less likely to be resold at a too high price.

• @ben47955 said:
    Probably Virmach don't apply affiliate anyway. I would not bother too much with that.

I asked about this earlier (remembering that "BF specials would not be eligible for affiliate income" being mentioned somewhere last year), but there was no answer...However since ddhhz (and at least another tracker) keep putting the aff links, I'm guessing they are earning something... (or it may be that, even if they don't earn on BF/CM deals, since the affiliate cookie hangs around for a while(?), they hope they may get from regular purchases if that happens, idk)

• We're still going!

• I got you news about the flying turkey. Early I was thinking on how to get it off the heights and return it, but it flew back to the owner's home after 1 hour of watching me.

Thanked by 2uptime FrankZ
  • Time to warm up the billing server:

To sleep or not to sleep? That's the question.

• No sleep till VirMach says "Thats all folks."

Thanked by 1alilet
  • I like turkeys. Well cooked.

Thanked by 2FAT32 alilet

@saibal said:
    No sleep till VirMach says "Thats all folks."

But there's no signs of VirMach yet, it would be great if he can keep the pace going so I wouldn't fall asleep :(

• It's the lull before the storm. VirMach is busy queuing up the deadpool deals now. They should start any moment I hope.

@saibal said:
    It's the lull before the storm. VirMach is busy queuing up the deadpool deals now. They should start any moment I hope.

We will see.

• randomqrandomq Member
    edited December 2019

@VirMach Any customers actually using tons of ram and multiple terabytes of xfer on your VMs? What's the heaviest type of use that is not violating TOS?

Also, now that you have gone to KVM, what kind of visibility do you have into the VMs, besides network traffic?

edited December 2019

Sadly, me and VirMach cannot really online at the same time :(

• randomq said: What's the heaviest type of use that is not violating TOS?

Idle

Thanked by 3randomq saibal uptime
  • @FAT32 said:
    Sadly, me and VirMach cannot really online at the same time :(

Thanked by 2FAT32 uptime

@saibal said:

I understand, but it is already 2am at my timezone now. Health is more important sometimes. I might not be able to witness more stunts or the end, good things happen only when I am at sleep.

Thanked by 1uptime