Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a VPS sponsorship for University Project - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a VPS sponsorship for University Project

Comments

• @ajayuk said:
    Actually we're not tech. students... We're from humanities stream. So, it's tricky to make our college authorities understand the thing and it's use and convenience for students... once it's live we can demonstrate and show it's usefulness...

Interesting! Since you said you (or you guys) are not from tech background, how would you manage your machine?
    Sidenote: if is a matter of hosing a blog, look for aome free hosting. There are plenty available.

• @ajayuk said:
    Actually we're not tech. students... We're from humanities stream. So, it's tricky to make our college authorities understand the thing and it's use and convenience for students... once it's live we can demonstrate and show it's usefulness...

Why don't you build your website on your laptop and show it to the concerned authorities from inside the university network? How would a VPS actually help you in your present scenario?

Thanked by 2kkrajk classy
  • @crpatel said:

@ajayuk said:

Interesting! Since you said you (or you guys) are not from tech background, how would you manage your machine?
    Sidenote: if is a matter of hosing a blog, look for aome free hosting. There are plenty available.

I've setup WordPress on a vps.... LEMP.. through online tutorials... tweaked themes and learnt the basic stuff which is enough for the project... Don't need a lot of technical knowledge...

• @ajayuk said:

@angstrom said:
    The OP joined on November 14, this is his very first post. Am skeptical.

I saw this forum while looking for vps sponsorship, so, thought of requesting here. I'd written purpose of joining forum in registration form also. And I'm ready to provide all needed details to the prospective host.

You may be legitimate, but it's very unlikely that anyone here is going to sponsor a VPS for you. You have no reputation here, you're in India (far away from many of us), and it's not so clear why you can't rent a VPS for a month or two for this project. If you're being paid for the project, then you should have included money for a VPS. If you're not being paid for the project, then why a project for a university that doesn't even care to help you do it in a minimal way?

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2018

I stand by what I said, if a uni hosts only finished projects, that ain't a uni.

A place to learn and educate doesn't host in-progress projects?

Or you've excluded more important info.

• @saibal said:

@ajayuk said:

Why don't you build your website on your laptop and show it to the concerned authorities from inside the university network? How would a VPS actually help you in your present scenario?

We want autonomy over the site and don't want the University to control it... We're a> @angstrom said:

@ajayuk said:

@angstrom said:
    The OP joined on November 14, this is his very first post. Am skeptical.

I saw this forum while looking for vps sponsorship, so, thought of requesting here. I'd written purpose of joining forum in registration form also. And I'm ready to provide all needed details to the prospective host.

You may be legitimate, but it's very unlikely that anyone here is going to sponsor a VPS for you. You have no reputation here, you're in India (far away from many of us), and it's not so clear why you can't rent a VPS for a month or two for this project. If you're being paid for the project, then you should have included money for a VPS. If you're not being paid for the project, then why a project for a university that doesn't even care to help you do it in a minimal way?

Not for University but for student community. We're a student body trying to help ourselves by using technology. But I understand what you say.... Will try find some other solution....

• ajayuk said: I've setup WordPress on a vps.... LEMP.. through online tutorials... tweaked themes and learnt the basic stuff which is enough for the project... Don't need a lot of technical knowledge...

So why don't you just do the same on your laptop and convince the authorities? You just need a working copy of the website and a few students connected to it to show off whatever you have built. You don't need anything fancy and even a semi decent laptop can pull that load.

• Anyways thanks and good night all. :)

• Well, not many universities and colleges in India offer a machine to host students project. The one which offers such premium services is BIT, IIT's, NIT's etc.

• ajayuk said: We want autonomy over the site and don't want the University to control it

But you just said that you would host the site on the uni servers once it is complete.

ajayuk said: Not for University but for student community.

Aren't the two connected?

• @crpatel said:
    Well, not many universities and colleges in India offer a machine to host students project. The one which offers such premium services is BIT, IIT's, NIT's etc.

He can always host it on his own laptop.

• @saibal said:

ajayuk said: We want autonomy over the site and don't want the University to control it

But you just said that you would host the site on the uni servers once it is complete.

ajayuk said: Not for University but for student community.

Aren't the two connected?

When they see it's useful for students they will fund it... when the students themselves see it working then chances are higher.

Yes two are connected.. Sometimes and sometimes not

• @ajayuk Why not get a shared hosting?

• @ajayuk said: When they see it's useful for students they will fund it

@ajayuk said: We want autonomy over the site and don't want the University to control it

You need to pick one.

• @SolidxGaming said:
    @ajayuk Why not get a shared hosting?

There's a guest lecture... We have 200 slots.. We send message to 1500+ students.. Now so many visit and try to register in 5-8 minutes... Shared hosting won't handle it... Website becomes unresponsive... We're using Google forms but want to integrate in website itself...

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

We could arrange something, is a linkback a problem to it?

edited November 2018

So, armandorg enters the cruel world.

Farewell, bits of sanity. Personally, I'd stay clear of this one. This one reeks cuz he wants everything and for free.

• @saibal said:

@ajayuk said: When they see it's useful for students they will fund it

@ajayuk said: We want autonomy over the site and don't want the University to control it

You need to pick one.

Second one would be better as students will have compete control...but if we can't maintain it then no option but to have limited control.... that's a later question though first the thing needs to work full fledged... It's India... quite difficult to explain... You're looking from your country's perspective

• @crpatel said:
    Well, not many universities and colleges in India offer a machine to host students project. The one which offers such premium services is BIT, IIT's, NIT's etc.

Okay, let's say that this is the case.

At the same time, one can't sign up on a forum and expect anyone in their right mind to sponsor a VPS for them. It doesn't work this way.

If the OP really can't afford a VPS (and it's not clear why shared hosting wouldn't suffice) -- and I find it hard to believe that if he has the luxury to consider doing such a project that he doesn't have the money for a small VPS for a month or two -- then he would do better trying to find a sponsor locally, where he can make personal contacts.

• Doody

Thanked by 1eol
  • angstrom said: Okay, let's say that this is the case.

At the same time, one can't sign up on a forum and expect anyone in their right mind to sponsor a VPS for them. It doesn't work this way.

If the OP really can't afford a VPS (and it's not clear why shared hosting wouldn't suffice) -- and I find it hard to believe that if he has the luxury to consider doing such a project that he doesn't have the money for a small VPS for a month or two -- then he would do better trying to find a sponsor locally, where he can make personal contacts.

Or maybe he can take 1 rupee from each student and buy service.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
    edited November 2018

There is a chance that his number is imaginary. I've seen it a little too often in sponsorship requests.

If so, giving him a cheapo VPS is fine.

If his number is real, then the one who sponsors him will suffer for nothing. This is why I don't want armandorg to get involved. Given the population size of India, he could be in for some pain.

• @ajayuk said: We send message to 1500+ students.

So you need a mail server as well. Right.

edited November 2018

@deank said:
    Farewell, bits of sanity. Personally, I'd stay clear of this one. This one reeks cuz he wants everything and for free.

It's okay, i'm not mother teresa. Nothing comes free in life mate. Unless it's shit. Shit comes for free

• If you are seriously looking for sponsors you need to provide a detailed description of what are you trying to achieve and how will it benefit both of you and your sponsors. You need to present your potential sponsors a detailed plan. That’s the work you should do in advance. You don't want to look like you are not well prepared when people starting to ask questions.

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • @ajayuk: FWIW, if you're expecting a lot of traffic from signups its better to hand it off to Google Forms specially if you have limited experience managing servers. If you are trying to show off your work by hosting an online signup form that you know is going to get barraged with requests you might be in for a rude shock. What if your website goes down and a lot of students cannot sign up? Would that be a good advertisement for your site?

But, kudos to @armandorg for trying to help OP.

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • @armandorg said:

@deank said:

It's okay, i'm not mother teresa. Nothing comes free in life mate. Unless it's shit. Shit comes for free

If you decide to help the OP, let us know how it goes ... but you would only offer shared/web hosting, not a VPS, right?

• Google Cloud Engine offer free services, which will be great for student projects for free. Github do the same, Azure from Microsoft too.

edited November 2018

@angstrom said:

@armandorg said:

@deank said:

If you decide to help the OP, let us know how it goes ... but you would only offer shared/web hosting, not a VPS, right?

Maybe i'd be too generous enough to put him on my most powerful dedi, where only our agency website is hosted. If it's a non-profit student project, why not. Ofcourse i'll be asking for something in return, and honestly. Anything shady i will not hesitate to cut you off without a notice.

Anyways nothing is done yet, i still don't have much info either.

Thanked by 2angstrom eol
  • You might want to have a look at this. https://education.github.com/pack