Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

netcup - did not follow cancellation procedure and now keeps on receiving invoices - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

netcup - did not follow cancellation procedure and now keeps on receiving invoices

Comments

• @angstrom said:

@yokowasis said: I've been a provider for 3 years and it works great. chasing down a client who obviously doesn't want or can't pay for the invoice is just not worth my time.

But: If such a client returned to you for a new service, would you accept them, excusing the past unpaid invoice?

If yes, then there's a real difference between what you practice and what netcup practice.

If no, then there's no real difference between what you practice and what netcup practice.

It's a question of detail whether a provider chooses to "chase down" a client who hasn't paid their invoice. This will partly depend on where the client resides in relation to the provider and on the amount of the invoice. In many cases, it may not be worth the effort for a provider to "chase down" a client.

The OP didn't say that netcup had "chased him down". We don't know whether this will happen if he continues to not pay the invoice.

Yes of course I will accept them. Hosting industry , in general is paid upfront. I don't give a shit about unpaid invoices. It's not like the client use my resource anyway. The billing software Will just automatically suspend their service when it comes due and delete it eventually.

If the same client want to throw another money at me for another service , why would I refuse him ? The client literally do no harm to me in the past. I have no reason not to accept his money.

Thanked by 1eramax
  • Bit of a non-conversation surely, how you'd like someone to bill you. You either accept the agreement or not. It's a bit of a curve-ball that they do things differently, but doesn't mean they're obligated to do things like everyone else.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Ban OP, I say.

I don't think he's listening anyway. He's just repeating himself.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @deank said:
    Ban OP, I say.

I don't think he's listening anyway. He's just repeating himself.

Yeah, I really can't tell whether he's dense or just clueless.

• @yokowasis said: Hosting industry , in general is paid upfront. I don't give a shit about unpaid invoices.

Okay, so you never have unpaid invoices. Great. But this isn't true of all providers, including netcup.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited October 2018

@ricardo said:
    Bit of a non-conversation surely, how you'd like someone to bill you. You either accept the agreement or not. It's a bit of a curve-ball that they do things differently, but doesn't mean they're obligated to do things like everyone else.

The thing is, as long as there is no signed, notarized, agreement on paper, that can be presented to an applicable and effective court of law, nobody is obliged to do anything. But, one still must remain fair with people though. Don't take what's not yours, no matter if someone else offers it, even for free.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2018

@Janevski I don't think that argument flies nowadays, but I'm not a lawyer. Anyone is entitled to "not pay" but they may find it's pursued. At the very least I'm sure many would agree, the company no longer wants this persons custom, at least while there's an outstanding amount due.

• hzrhzr Member

yokowasis said: Yes of course I will accept them. Hosting industry , in general is paid upfront. I don't give a shit about unpaid invoices. It's not like the client use my resource anyway. The billing software Will just automatically suspend their service when it comes due and delete it eventually.

This is only how it works in the low end world.

All of the hosting we use at work are billed after the fact, billing is given leniency if extra time is needed, because the other end knows you are good for the amount. The real world works on this basis. Sending someone to collections is annoying, I don't want to do that, but if they won't pay what the contract appropriately says, you pretty much have no other choice.

If the same client wants to get another service, maybe they should learn that every time someone needs to follow up with them or manually deal with their shit they are costing money and causing unnecessary interaction with billing because they refuse to have basic manners.

edited October 2018

@angstrom said:

1. Could be trolling.
    2. Too young to know / have experienced contracts.
    3. Too stupid.

Perhaps, all three in which case I will gladly proudly say this once more time: The end is nigh.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited October 2018

@Janevski said: The thing is, as long as there is no signed, notarized, agreement on paper, that can be presented to an applicable and effective court of law, nobody is obliged to do anything.

Ah, no. A contract doesn't have to be notarized to be valid. And the "signing" in this case is effectively the checking of the relevant box at the time of purchase.

It's another question whether netcup will pursue this (i.e., "chase down" the OP). But they could. And if the OP were in Germany, they could (as far as I can tell) legally require him to pay. Whether the OP would actually pay is yet another question.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Wolveix
  • @deank said:

@angstrom said:

1. Could be trolling.
    2. Too young to know / have experienced contracts.
    3. Too stupid.

I would rule out 1 in this particular case: the OP really doesn't seem to be trolling.

Which leaves 2 or 3 or both.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

eramax said: !!!.

Is that because you owe them money, perhaps?

!!! for they still invoicing me till now for a resource i cannot even use it if i wanted
    because i am blocked from creating or use the VM on their system despite i am getting a new invoice every month.

Mate, this is irrelevant. When your broadband is suspended because you didn’t pay your bills you won’t be able to use it, yet you’ll still be invoiced.

Stop crying, man up, pay up and learn a lesson

Thanked by 1Wolveix

@Janevski said:

@ricardo said:
    Bit of a non-conversation surely, how you'd like someone to bill you. You either accept the agreement or not. It's a bit of a curve-ball that they do things differently, but doesn't mean they're obligated to do things like everyone else.

The thing is, as long as there is no signed, notarized, agreement on paper, that can be presented to an applicable and effective court of law, nobody is obliged to do anything. But, one still must remain fair with people though. Don't take what's not yours, no matter if someone else offers it, even for free.

Contracts signed online are very much enforceable equally as if they’ve been signed on paper.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited October 2018

Clouvider said: You are aware that the data on the invoice cannot be removed for as long as legally required to be held

Absolutely aware of this. But account details such as email, name etc. must be removed on user request. Invoices stand but all user data must be wiped out if such request received. User have a right to be forgotten.

@LTniger said:

Clouvider said: You are aware that the data on the invoice cannot be removed for as long as legally required to be held

Absolutely aware of this. But account details such as email, name etc. must be removed on user request. Invoices stand but all user data must be wiped out if such request received.

No, not from the invoice. Email address yes, and that’s about it. Address and name stays if it’s printed on the invoice, this has to be legally kept for a certain amount of time and can’t be removed. This supersedes rights under GDPR, GDPR clearly says that the only thing business has to do is to tell you that it won’t remove certain data: x, y and z until say 2024 because they have to be legally kept for tax purposes.

Thanked by 2mfs Falzo
  • Tax laws are more important than privacy laws. What a surprise.

@Yura said:
    Tax laws are more important than privacy laws. What a surprise.

That’s just one reason of many why your data might need to stay for X period of time. I singled out tax as it would block removal of majority of the data a hosting company holds for a significant period of time. Of course it’s a different story if you just open an account, send a ticket, then ask for removal under GDPR while not making any transactions.

• Clouvider said: do they send a debt collector and take you to court if you fail to pay

may not take him to court as 15 euros is not enough to cover legal expenses

Life will eventually teach him the lesson he refuses to learn here.

Just wait until he skips on loan or mortgage payment cuz he feels like it.

• i would vote to change the title

• @jcaleb said:
    i would vote to change the title

No need to vote, I would say, it's clear that the OP hasn't made a convincing case. And you're a moderator, aren't you? :smile:

• OP, get a TreeHugger attorney. You could try to Sue netcup for killing trees.

Suing for mental damage is easier because OP is already damaged.

• Changed title to:

netcup - did not follow cancellation procedure and now keeps on receiving invoices

Thanked by 3angstrom Ympker eramax
  • I cancelled mine properly, before it was up for renewal and within the time period in which I was allowed to do so without having another contract started. I have never had an issue since I followed the rules which I agreed to when I started using the service.

• goodwingoodwin Member
    edited October 2018

Lol screw netcup, this shouldn't be like that in 2018, thanks OP for reporting their non-sense policies, I would act the same. It's like many EU isp's or private hospitals, you have a big queue behind you staring at your back in their office, when you want to acquire their service and the 100-page contract says your life will belong to their company with a 2px font after you sign it. Every company that practice dark UX should be burned in shame.

Thanked by 2AMXRT samm
  • The policies are clearly intended to make cancelling as difficult as possible and out of line with normal expectations despite being mentioned in the TOS. This practice should be called out, if one doesn't need to sign and post some piece of a tree to signup then one shouldn't need to do so to cancel - as long as authenticated as the account owner.

Cross border debt collection is expensive and unless they are registered credit provider in your country they won't be able to disrupt your credit report. Just ignore it.

Praise to all those do-gooders 'holyier than you' that thoroughly read the TOS and EULA in detail for everything they purchase.

• hzrhzr Member

fpmagic said: The policies are clearly intended to make cancelling as difficult as possible and out of line with normal expectations despite being mentioned in the TOS. This practice should be called out, if one doesn't need to sign and post some piece of a tree to signup then one shouldn't need to do so to cancel - as long as authenticated as the account owner.

I click cancel on their website (if logged in) and it cancels.

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • This issue has been brought up before. It sucks but this is reality. One need to do research before purchasing.

I also don't read ToS when I sign up. But when I have issue and provider says it is in ToS, then I don't complain because I was so lazy to read before I signed up.

@jcaleb said:

Clouvider said: do they send a debt collector and take you to court if you fail to pay

may not take him to court as 15 euros is not enough to cover legal expenses

Depends if that was 15 EUR, given he made them angry in the ticket they might just do it. Besides, the collection cost is on the OP. Netcup won’t pay it, collector will extract it out of the OP, which will increase his or hers debt severely

Thanked by 1jcaleb
This discussion has been closed.