Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone here ordered from HETZNER, got rejected, and suggested to try another company? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone here ordered from HETZNER, got rejected, and suggested to try another company?

Comments

• Pandy said: tbh i didnt need to send any ID when i opened my account, nor have i needed to after using cloud for many months, maybe its dedi's that require it to be more strict, or they just for some reason trust me more

I suspect some countries are on their shit list from the get go, but give them the right info and payment type it will likely get through without ID or much fuss.

They are not experts in every countries documents so there will no doubt be some that are rejected, perhaps unfairly, it is what it is.

• @pike said:

@Cdoe said:
    No, only the potential high-risk scammers from 3rd world countries are rejected.

I know people from "3rd world countries" that are customers to hetzner and didn't need more verification than sending a picture of their local ID front.

Cool

• edited September 2018

IF your ID is legit, no provider will reject you. If you will miss utilize resources. It would be a loss to the provider spamming on network. Your account will be blocked for sure. Its better to go the right way .

• @asep_dadang said:

@plumberg said:

@asep_dadang said:

@WebProject said:

@Hukin said:
    They simply not care about single client because they a big boss and get huge income every day. Small private companies or sole owners cares about every client.

Not really, if customer is trying to scam. what the point to care such customer? or trying to provide service for free as at the end of day such lovely customer will file a chargeback and cost extra $20 - £25 per transaction!

The thing is, this customer is not trying to scam, how is that? He provided all data and ID requested. The concern here is they do not take a serious care of prospective customer, instead they just push the deactivate button / suggesting to take other company, without sweating more. Or lack of employees maybe.

It's a business decision. Just because you submit your id does not mean all is good. There are lots of fraud alert systems which can flag customers based on the information provided. Better for a company to lose business from one than make all customers suffer if there is potential for abuse.

Sure this builds bad sentiment from customers stand point. But a risk business takes.

Yes of course this is from customer's stand point, because i am a customer. The weird thing is this provider doesn't want to do anything about it, because i've been with another provider who has fraud system, been detected multiple times too, but they care when i asked about it and proved my data and ID is not fake, service and business relationship start and continue.

This provider, don't do that and suggest me to take a look at their competitor, OVH. Really....

If you already had detected multiple time on fraud system then your information have a good chance to trigger other provider fraud system. It's definitely not your country, I know a lot of Indonesian people that have several services on multiple provider and never triggered fraud system. You should check what kind of information that you provide that trigger fraud system and fix it if possible. Every provider have their own standard how to deal with information that triggered their fraud system, some will satisfied if customer send their national id, another need passport, another need some people to take a photo with their id etc and it's up to them to decide they will reject or accept the customer.

Did you send your e-ktp or passport? And did you use same address on sign up form with address on your idcard? I know some Indonesia id card does not have detailed address on it (sometimes only address without house number, or just a village/area name), also did you use same address on your billing account such as PayPal, credit card?

Thanked by 2vimalware Hetzner_OL
  • All I can say about Hetzner is their services are amazing. They treasure every customer, not as you described. So if they didn’t accept you as new customer, it may be your fault.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    We reject new accounts from Germany and other Western countries every day that look suspicious. We do not reject accounts just based on country.

True, i am from one of those third world, high risk countries but i never had a problem with Hetzner. even though my ID is in my local language they accepted it and verified my account within 2 hours.

• I got rejected before because I was using VPN when registering, but after re-applying through my ISP's IP address it got immediately accepted after uploading my passport. Thank you Hetzner.

• HukinHukin Member
    edited September 2018

Sounds like those who upload their docs keeps show their happiness, but those who not follow show their sadly mine. :smiley:

• I have no problem with hetzner and enjoy their services.
    Whoever, i live in the EU and I'm currently legally prohibiden to provide a copy of my ID, and the companies are legally prohibiden to ask for one.
    If caught , both pay a fine.

What companies can do is to request to see it live.

I wonder if Germany is different or if hetzner is taking a risk.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited September 2018

@404error said:

It's allowed to create a scan of your ID in Germany. You have to clearly mark it as copy like with a watermark or something like this but its not prohibited.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@404error said:
    I have no problem with hetzner and enjoy their services.
    Whoever, i live in the EU and I'm currently legally prohibiden to provide a copy of my ID, and the companies are legally prohibiden to ask for one.
    If caught , both pay a fine.

What companies can do is to request to see it live.

Which country is this? There is no such thing in Bulgaria.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

404error said: I'm currently legally prohibiden to provide a copy of my ID and the companies are legally prohibiden to ask for one.

I really, really don't think so. Unless you're CIA and the only document in your possession is a military ID. Making copies of government issued documents for illicit purposes is obviously illegal, but that's an entirely different ballpark.

• @mfs said:

404error said: I'm currently legally prohibiden to provide a copy of my ID and the companies are legally prohibiden to ask for one.

I really, really don't think so. Unless you're CIA and the only document in your possession is a military ID. Making copies of government issued documents for illicit purposes is obviously illegal, but that's an entirely different ballpark.

It doesn't really matter what you think. It's still illegal in some countries, including Germany.

• JRTechJRTech Member
    edited September 2018

I have a lot of friends who initially got rejected. They re-sign up and sucess. The processes are

Change ISP, if you use Telkom, change to XL, or Indosat, etc...
    It is recommended you change your device, you can borrow you friend's laptop. If you don't have it, you can try to sign up from different browser.
    Also, sign up using different email address.

When filling the data, use you friend or family such you wife/mom/dad's ID that the adress is not the same as the previous ID that used in registration. Hetzner will ask you the ID issued by government, you can upload your wife/mom/dad's ID.

It usually work.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited September 2018

torrbox said: It doesn't really matter what you think.

It doesn't matter what you think you well. Mine was not an opinion. It's fine to handle this data if it is discarded immediately and if serves only the purpose to asseverate an identity. In Germany as well, especially in the IT segment. It's explicitly forbidden to store it (besides the usual privacy provision applicable at national and European level).

• torrbox said: It's still illegal in some countries, including Germany.

Links to some evidence to support?

Thanked by 1pike
  • @torrbox said:

It doesn't really matter what you think. It's still illegal in some countries, including Germany.

No longer, German law has changed last year. Please update your internal knowledgebase ,-)

Thanked by 1pike
  • 404error said: Whoever, i live in the EU and I'm currently legally prohibiden to provide a copy of my ID, and the companies are legally prohibiden to ask for one.

So, Hetzner is not acting legally by asking for your id? Given their scale it's certain that they have a team of lawyers and they should know EU law pretty well.

mfs said: It's fine to handle this data if it is discarded immediately and if serves only the purpose to asseverate an identity.

Hetzner mentions this explicitly in the verification emails.

• Hetzner mentions this explicitly in the verification emails.

All the PROVIDERS mention this in their emails requiring verification even the shady ones. Make your own choices.

• @saibal said:
    So, Hetzner is not acting legally by asking for your id? Given their scale it's certain that they have a team of lawyers and they should know EU law pretty well.

As every EU nation has it's own IDs, Passports etc. any of them has own laws regarding this topic.

@torrbox it is perfectly legal in Germany to scan your ID and send it to a company as long as it's watermarked or ortherwise marked as copy.

• @pike said: As every EU nation has it's own IDs, Passports etc. any of them has own laws regarding this topic.

I mentioned EU law, not German law. When a user signs up for Hetzner, they need to provide their country of residence. The documents required for verification would therefore be guided by that particular country and not Germany. If Hetzner is asking for documents, they must be legally entitled to do so based on the country that a user mentioned as their residence when signing up.

• smile said: All the PROVIDERS mention this in their emails requiring verification even the shady ones. Make your own choices.

The choice is pretty clear with Hetzner :smile:

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@saibal said:

@pike said: As every EU nation has it's own IDs, Passports etc. any of them has own laws regarding this topic.

I mentioned EU law, not German law. When a user signs up for Hetzner, they need to provide their country of residence. The documents required for verification would therefore be guided by that particular country and not Germany. If Hetzner is asking for documents, they must be legally entitled to do so based on the country that a user mentioned as their residence when signing up.

No. I don’t think so. It will be governed by the German rules since you agree the contract will follow German law and the data is processsed in Germany.

Thanked by 3Lee saibal Aidan
  • saibalsaibal Member
    edited September 2018

@Clouvider said: No. I don’t think so. It will be governed by the German rules since you agree the contract will follow German law and the data is processsed in Germany.

Indeed, that is true. Well, should certain countries be excluded from signing up then if Hetzner requires ID verification and those countries do not allow that? Or Hetzner is entitled to ask for ID from any customer since it just needs to comply with German law and can reject accounts if not provided with one?

Edit: I believe only a lawyer can answer that. TLDR for my original question was if EU law would govern signups from other countries.

• Portugal is one of the countries where you can't ask for a copy (digital or not) of an ID card. Banks still do it all the time, no one cares.

• @saibal said:

@pike said: As every EU nation has it's own IDs, Passports etc. any of them has own laws regarding this topic.

I mentioned EU law, not German law.

As I tried to explain there is no EU law because every nation has own laws and own documents.

Also I agree with Clouvider. Hetzner can ask anyone for an ID. If someone lives in a country that doesnt allow ID scans it's not Hetzners headache.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2018

saibal said: Or Hetzner is entitled to ask for ID from any customer since it just needs to comply with German law and can reject accounts if not provided with one?

I mean in the UK for example, if you came from anywhere in the world and wanted to open a bank account, you will need several forms of identification, a passport is a prime example, drivers licence and so on, I can assure you the bank will take a copy and keep it for several years but only within timescales permitted by regulations, compliance and audit.

I can also assure you they won't give a single shit what your country says about the laws on copies of your ID, if you are not willing to provide it you don't get an account.

No different for Hetzner in Germany.

• Thanks @Clouvider @Lee @pike for clearing this up.

• @pike @AlexBarakov @mfs @saibal

I actually look into it again, and the law changed. Now companies are not allowed to **demand **it, but the client may provide a copy on its own accord. But then there's a mention that deciding to provide a copy may be considered as neglect the protection of its own personal data, and the citizen can then be fined for neglect, not sure how that's assessed as I read the news and not the law itself. It sure makes it a bit confusing.

If a company demands it, then the client is supposed to file a complain for the state to fine the company.
    The government gave itself an year for its own services to adapt to the law, as some of the services are still requesting a copy of the ID. I think it was GDPR that fueled this issue again.

Even with this change, companies can't store it, or make a copy of the id.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2018

404error said: If a company demands it, then the client is supposed to file a complain for the state to fine the company.

No company demands your ID, although I can see how it may come across that way. It's not like you are being forced against you will to hand it over.

You are always in control, it is your choice whether to provide it or not.

It certainly sounds as if this an internal issue in your own country, they could never fine a company in another country for asking you to provide ID, even demanding it if it happened.

Thanked by 1mfs
This discussion has been closed.