Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why hosting providers hate IRC? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why hosting providers hate IRC?

13»

Comments

• EddingEdding Member

that user DDossing issue would be easy solved if irc servers just obfuscate the ip-adresses which is possible from most ircd

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Edding said:
    that user DDossing issue would be easy solved if irc servers just obfuscate the ip-adresses which is possible from most ircd

The old opinion of that is that they would simply smack the server then.

I'm not sure how much DDOS Efnet still gets, but that's their reasoning for not having usermasking/+x.

Francisco

• jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2019

We used to disallow IRC and filter the default ports at the network level. Once we added DDoS protection to our network a few years ago we started allowing IRC. I know of a few IRCs that run on our network now and to date we haven't had any attacks against them knock on wood though none of the IRC servers are very large.

• This kind of Telegram is better?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

IRC is pretty niche at this point. It died off, mostly.

• donlidonli Member

What is this "IRC" thing - is it like Discord?

(I kid, i kid).

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Give it 10 more years and that's what people will say.

• IRC?
    Why, i'd never... :monocle:

But seriously, i've never used irc. Never.
    I can't remember if i went to a chat room once and logged out right away, or it's the Mandela effect. Anyhow, never.

• IRC botnets....

You could just use a non-registerd irc port with tls and a terms of usage policy "NO ddos stuff"