Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why hosting providers hate IRC?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why hosting providers hate IRC?

Hello everyone.
I open a post on "Why hosting providers like to use Maxmind to judge "Fraud" " last week and got many responses which quit help me a lot. (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2872894)【thank you】

Now I want to ask for another question"Why hosting providers hate IRC"?As we all know, IRC is usually prohibited by AUS, but why?

I can understand BitCoin farmer should be prohibited and using a lot of disk is unethical. But why IRC should be prohibited?

Comments

• pikepike Veteran

IRC is used for sicc shit noone here is willing to talk about.
    Go ask at hf.

• that_guythat_guy Member
    edited August 2018

Because at least in the past, when IRC was a lot more popular, it was a DDoS-magnet (i think mainly to force a netsplit and take over channels).
    Today, gameservers seem to have taken that spot.
    Maybe both "communities" are full of the same type of people...

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

Today the price to buy a "slot" in a DDoS bot network is cheap.
    On IRC it is easy to piss other people off and the easiest way to get the other person to "leave" is to DDoS the IP he came from.

Best case on a DDoS is when the IP gets null-routed, in some cases for 24 hours or so.
    Worst case is when the provider bills you for the traffic caused.

For someone like me, who offers mostly shared ipv4 that would affect not only you but also the other customers that you share the IP with.
    In my case, I allow IRC (most locations) over IPv6, not IPv4.

• because IRC is outdated and lame. Facebook messenger is what we need.

• yes facebook messenger is the the best

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Hate?

• I HATE YOU.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited August 2018

OP's next question "Why isn't torrenting allowed on many webhost?"

Eventually, OP will ask "Why does LET exist?"

"Why do girls exist?"

His ultimate conclusion after asking many questions will be, the end is nigh.

• Man I hope my sarcasm meter isn't broken.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

deank said: His ultimate conclusion after asking many questions will be, the end is nigh

Surely his ultimate question is "why is the end nigh?"

Because nigh is the end, why cannot exist in that context.

• @deank said:
    Because nigh is the end, why cannot exist in that context.

beware of his plot twist with why god created us but to die

• I think many providers copy AUS from each other and some of them have no idea what IRC is, so they leave that paragraph as it.

Just a fact: #lowendbox @ FreeNode is a successful IRC channel.

Thanked by 3Creling goodwin Adam1
  • Beside bad staff happened in irc rooms what else can be bad , I don't think text base chat server could consume a lot of bandwidth CPU resource maybe .

Thanked by 1goodwin
  • ralph said: Just a fact: #lowendbox @ FreeNode is a successful IRC channel.

Freenode puts a ton of server resources and human effort dealing with abuses of all kinds. I think that is what VPS hosts don't want to have their servers subjected to.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited August 2018

We do not prohibit IRC. If you see a paragraph about it on a providers website it's likely that they didn't take the time to come up with their own AUP or TOS and just copied it.
    https://www.bitaccel.com/tos.php

Thanked by 1Creling
  • pike said: Go ask at hf.

telegram or someting else maybe a better choice for hf, but not IRC

• that_guy said: Because at least in the past, when IRC was a lot more popular, it was a DDoS-magnet (i think mainly to force a netsplit and take over channels).

Maybe, DDOSer destroyed the network balance and made us have to pay some extra cost

• well, Maybe I didn't express it accurately, what I want to express is “ Not allow”

• ralph said: I think many providers copy AUS from each other and some of them have no idea what IRC is, so they leave that paragraph as it.

hhhh,maybe close to the truth

• @Creling said:

hhhh,maybe close to the truth

did you just squirt?

• thagoatthagoat Member
    edited August 2018

Short answer:
    It's possible to host bots on IRC that share files. Iroffer is one such bot. That server then becomes a hot spot for illegal file sharing (not just Linux ISO's). This draws a lot of bandwidth, and unsavory characters*. MPAA and RIAA seem to think we should pay for our digital media consumption.

*Unsavory characters is an overgeneralization and not indicative of the majority of online IRC users. =)

Thanked by 1dfmcvn
  • @thagoat said:
    [...] This draws a lot of bandwidth [...]

That's why many put monthly bandwidth limits on VPS plans or just shape the speed for individual customers, c'mon, this is not really a problem for providers. Also, it's hard to imagine someone will use Iroffer in 2018, because these who were using it became rich enough to buy unmetered Internet connection and new generation mostly don't know what IRC is.

Thanked by 1goodwin
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

IRC attracts the bad packets.

Thanked by 1mikho

Not just IRC, any sort of web chatting seems to attract bad blood.

Thanked by 1goodwin
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@deank said:
    Not just IRC, any sort of web chatting seems to attract bad blood.

Especially forums...

Thanked by 1goodwin
  • @KuJoe said:

Lol. What kind of network hardware do you have to be that scared of bad packets that skids make to flood IRC servers?

Thanked by 1dmtr
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@goodwin said:

@KuJoe said:

Lol. What kind of network hardware do you have to be that scared of bad packets that skids make to flood IRC servers?

It’s besides the point. Attracting abuse results in worse service for the legitimate users.

@goodwin said:

@KuJoe said:

The kind of network hardware that takes a nap after over 50Gbps of bad packets.