Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why hosting providers hate IRC? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why hosting providers hate IRC?

Comments

• goodwingoodwin Member
    edited August 2018

It’s besides the point.

Say which one, because there were 2 points. Anyway, most arguments provided here against running IRC are ridiculous, we are not in 90's and most hosters can afford 100mbit/s of excessive traffic in case of small attacks that happen to IRCd's. Yes, nobody is going to spend money and time to make enterprise-grade DDoS attack above 1GBIT/s because of an IRC server.

@KuJoe said:
    50Gbps
    IRC

I think you are trolling.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

goodwin said: I think you are trolling.

I have no reason to troll. We used to allow IRC on our networks then we stopped because of the size of the DDoS attacks. Then we started allowing some users to host private IRC servers and you can see how that ended in the link I posted.

Since you're new I'll give you a little insight. I've been around here since before this forum was event created, I'm 100% honest with everything I post and I do not troll people. Feel free to check my post history if you have your doubts. Or you could just choose not to believe me, that's fine also. Either way, if you don't want an honest answer then please don't ask the question.

goodwin said: Yes, nobody is going to spend money and time to make enterprise-grade DDoS attack above 1GBIT/s because of an IRC server.

This is not correct. A 1Gbps attack is considered extremely small. Here's a "small" DDoS attack 5 years ago (2013): http://n3rd.info/hello_ddos.png

So yeah, if 30Gbps was considered small in 2013 and costed about $10-$15 to send, please try to understand the size of the attacks in 2018.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited August 2018

The thing with DDoS attacks which many forget/ignore is the bandwidth.

Somebody has to pay for that whether you repeal it or not.

• @deank said:
    The thing with DDoS attacks which many forget/ignore is the bandwidth.

Somebody has to pay for that whether you repeal it or not.

IP transit prices depend on qty of megabits per second which means unmetered traffic for providers, so no.

@KuJoe said:

goodwin said: Yes, nobody is going to spend money and time to make enterprise-grade DDoS attack above 1GBIT/s because of an IRC server.

This is not correct. A 1Gbps attack is considered extremely small. Here's a "small" DDoS attack 5 years ago (2013): http://n3rd.info/hello_ddos.png

So yeah, if 30Gbps was considered small in 2013 and costed about $10-$15 to send, please try to understand the size of the attacks in 2018.

Are you sure the image shows the attack on an IRC server?
    I am working in the DDoS protection industry for 10 years and quite aware of prices, in 2013 there was only 1 stress test service which was capable of making a 30Gbps attack and its owners are facing court trial now. Their service in fact was cheap, but closed very shortly. Since then, no service have ever existed that could make a such attack for 10-15$, prices are much higher than that now.

goodwin said: unmetered traffic for providers

Not true.

goodwin said: Since then, no service have ever existed that could make a such attack for 10-15$

Also not true. How can you say 1Gbps is an "enterprise grade attack" and also be working in the industry for 10 years?

I'm sorry but your posts are highly suspect at this point. You claim to have knowledge of things that contradict what hosting providers actually experience and you come here asking questions you don't want to hear the answers to.

goodwin said: Are you sure the image shows the attack on an IRC server?

No, that's an attack against our website that some kid was doing for laughs but the point was to show you that 30Gbps was a "small attack" 5 years ago (our data center was able to mitigate it because it was so small). Back is 2013 a 100Gbps attack against game servers was the norm for us, in 2018 things only get worse.

• @KuJoe said: Not true.

True.

@KuJoe said: You claim to have knowledge of things that contradict what hosting providers actually experience

Please don't speak for other hosting providers, it's very clear to me that your experience is completely different from other hosting providers and you are just defending yourself for the incident posted on WHT by trying to make me looking wrong. I also disagree on your 'bad people' definition, since you haven't acted so professionally, because you should've transfered the reported IRC server to your abuse department instead of refusing to talk with your customer, but I am not willing to discuss it here due to off-topic.

@KuJoe said: No, that's an attack against our website that some kid was doing for laughs but the point was to show you that 30Gbps was a "small attack" 5 years ago (our data center was able to mitigate it because it was so small). Back is 2013 a 100Gbps attack against game servers was the norm for us, in 2018 things only get worse.

Once again, everything you said just approved my point that nobody is going to make a >1Gbps attack on an IRC server.

edited August 2018

Seems to me that you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

I don't know what it feels like to have PMS but hang in there. It will subside. You have the community's support.

Thanked by 1goodwin
  • Yeah nice point, that guy definitely needs that.

• HxxxHxxx Member

Nobody wants IRC. Discord and Slack is what is IN my dude.
    Somebody said fb messenger, if FB then Whatsapp.

• dmtrdmtr Member

If Whatsapp then Skype and Yahoo. NSA loves you all.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited August 2018

If afraid of NSA because you are doing dirty things, better stay offline, burn your router. Privacy in 2018, are you kidding me...
    That's deaded.

@dmtr said:
    If Whatsapp then Skype and Yahoo. NSA loves you all.

goodwin said: since you haven't acted so professionally, because you should've transfered the reported IRC server to your abuse department instead of refusing to talk with your customer

Ummm... what? Are you saying I was unprofessional because I hosted an IRC server? Or was I unprofessional because I don't release client information to anybody who asks?

Also if you want to argue with somebody, you picked the wrong person. There are plenty of people here who will oblige you though. ;)

goodwin said: Once again, everything you said just approved my point that nobody is going to make a >1Gbps attack on an IRC server.

I wish this was true, I would gladly allow IRC servers if they were only getting hit with 1Gbps DDoS attacks. Hell, I'd even allow them if they were only getting hit with 10Gbps attacks.

• dmtrdmtr Member

@Hxxx said:
    If afraid of NSA because you are doing dirty things, better stay offline, burn your router. Privacy in 2018, are you kidding me...

Oh yea, one of these typical arguments. Being ignorant about privacy in 2018 doesn't mean privacy doesn't exist.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • @KuJoe said: Ummm... what? Are you saying I was unprofessional because I hosted an IRC server? Or was I unprofessional because I don't release client information to anybody who asks?

You're good at inventing facts on-demand. I have read carefully the WHT thread you posted as an argument and nobody there asked you to reveal client information. What was asked is to suspend other IRC server due to your 'no irc' policy, not more than this.

Also if you want to argue with somebody, you picked the wrong person. There are plenty of people here who will oblige you though. ;)

You were first to bump the thread with your irrelevant "bad packets" and "bad people" stuff, I just responded to your messages using a realistic point of view.

I wish this was true, I would gladly allow IRC servers if they were only getting hit with 1Gbps DDoS attacks. Hell, I'd even allow them if they were only getting hit with 10Gbps attacks.

Now it really looks like you are trying to make anyone believe you are getting so many 10-30Gbps attacks thus making a hidden ad for your service. Once again, you are good at inventing facts, but professionals are unlikely to believe what you say.

Welcome to the internet, you'll fit in just fine here. :)

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Just curious: if one wanted to run an IRC server for family and friends on a VPS, where would one go?

Use cellphones would be the answer.

@deank said:
    Use cellphones would be the answer.

I hadn't fully realized that there was so much abuse with IRC servers. Kinda sad ...

edited August 2018

IRC used to be fine, especially with older generations that came through IBM PCs.

But young/er generations seem to have anger management issues, so what can you do.

In a sense, Nekki is correct in blaming @millennials. They ruined a lot of good things.

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited August 2018

KuJoe said: Also, IRC attracts bad people

Surprised that user is not banned on WHT. DDoS's you, and raged with personal attacks.

Good on you for keeping it cool.

• dmtrdmtr Member

@deank said: In a sense, Nekki is correct in blaming @millennials. They ruined a lot of good things.

What is the point of blaming your own generation, including yourself?

Thanked by 1inklight

@deank said:
    IRC used to be fine, especially with older generations that came through IBM PCs.

But young/er generations seem to have anger management issues, so what can you do.

I'm also old-school, I don't understand why one would be inclined to attack an IRC server, disagreements here or there.

• @angstrom said:
    I hadn't fully realized that there was so much abuse with IRC servers. Kinda sad ...

That "abuse" scale is definitely exaggerated in this thread. Kinda far from reality.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

The recipe for a ddos is: IRC, gameserver, voice server or "free speech" website.

Not that every one is attacked but my gosh do they certainly increase the chances of it by a ton.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

goodwin said: Please don't speak for other hosting providers, it's very clear to me that your experience is completely different from other hosting providers and you are just defending yourself for the incident posted on WHT by trying to make me looking wrong.

I agree with @Kujoe on this and a quick google image search got me this as first result

you can also read this: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/196583-lizard-squad-now-offering-ddos-attack-tool-for-as-little-as-6-per-month

With this "new" internet of things era where even your dish washer is connected to the internet, the bot net can build in size pretty fast. Last year LG had this issue where someone could take over someone elses dish washer and use it as a bot in a DDoS attack.

This is an image from this year where someone attacked a private Teamspeak server of mine.

Not that large but for so long time that it became disturbing for the provider that they null-routed the IP and I lost connection with the internet.

• @mikho said:

goodwin said: Please don't speak for other hosting providers, it's very clear to me that your experience is completely different from other hosting providers and you are just defending yourself for the incident posted on WHT by trying to make me looking wrong.

I agree with @Kujoe on this and a quick google image search got me this as first result

The quoted text of mine is irrelevant to the average DDoS speed, I was talking about IP transit question in this particular case.

Anyway, the stress testers you guys provide as big examples (such as on a screenshot above) are not capable of making the traffic you show on network load charts.

Just try buying that stress tester time yourself and you will make sure it would never generate 4-8Gbps.

Not that large but for so long time that it became disturbing for the provider that they null-routed the IP and I lost connection with the internet.

Tbh if you were experienced enough, you would know that such attacks are easily mitigable using upstream's BGP blackhole communities.

Thanked by 1AMXRT
  • Hello. IRC is not big problem for ISP. but many people use irc for botnets control them
    we had few issues even with good clients they was hacked via wordpress vuln and installed web based irc.

• so better way use Telegram

• So, do you want to say that statistically botnet control nodes nowadays prefer IRC protocol to HTTP, thus providers should block IRC?

Thanked by 1ralph