Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favorite text editor? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Favorite text editor?

Comments

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:
    Ah, don't be too hard on pine: many people loved it. What were the realistic alternatives? mail? elm?

elm until mutt. :crossarms:

Well, pine predates mutt by a lot, so it really was elm vs pine, and pine made email usable for the masses on Unix, which was no small achievement. I knew people who had no clue about Unix but could nevertheless telnet to the Unix server and read and write email using pine & pico, and they liked it! elm was very user-unfriendly by comparison.

The biggest problem with pine for a long time was its license, which, however, most Linux distros tended to ignore.

• @angstrom said:
    Well, pine predates mutt by a lot, so it really was elm vs pine, and pine made email usable for the masses on Unix, which was no small achievement. I knew people who had no clue about Unix but could nevertheless telnet to the Unix server and read and write email using pine & pico, and they liked it! elm was very user-unfriendly by comparison.

The biggest problem with pine for a long time was its license, which, however, most Linux distros tended to ignore.

Thanks for the history lesson; I wasn't there at the time. Hence, 'elm until mutt'. These days, I don't even use a local spool or maildir (spit). It's all remote.

Yeah, and that's why nano exists outside of pine/pico.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2017

@WSS said: Thanks for the history lesson; I wasn't there at the time. Hence, 'elm until mutt'. These days, I don't even use a local spool or maildir (spit). It's all remote.

Yeah, this has been the trend for a while now.

Yeah, and that's why nano exists outside of pine/pico.

Right: people liked pico, but pico had a problematic license, so nano arose initially as a clone of pico, and then features were added to nano that pico lacked.

• @angstrom said:
    Right: people liked pico, but pico had a problematic license, so nano arose initially as a clone of pico, and then features were added to nano that pico lacked.

I think it's more of the "This is the easiest thing available." I still remember having to deal with idiots forgetting to use -w and mangling things. :D

• I bow down to vim. But I'm a developer so I spend more time typing so I need the extra speed of vim.

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

I think it's more of the "This is the easiest thing available." I still remember having to deal with idiots forgetting to use -w and mangling things. :D

The fact that nano had a config file was in itself a killer feature over pico. :-)

• VS code && Atom

• @Zerpy said:

And then we have DevOps people that needs to know everything, and being experts in it :|
    At least, that's what job descriptions say.

Don’t get me fucking started on DevOps.

• nano and vscode mostly... sometimes sublime.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

angstrom said: Well, pine predates mutt by a lot, so it really was elm vs pine, and pine made email usable for the masses on Unix, which was no small achievement. I knew people who had no clue about Unix but could nevertheless telnet to the Unix server and read and write email using pine & pico, and they liked it! elm was very user-unfriendly by comparison.

Elm is short for "electronic mail"

Pine is actually an acronym for "Pine Is Not Elm" :-) Though later the authors came up with some other stupid acronym even though Pine Is Not Elm is much better.

Pine was fine, but anyone who got a lot of mail in those days use mh. It's the Unix of mail clients...Pine is more the Windows 98 of mail clients. Serviceable but tedious.

Yeah, the U of Washington lied ("we never said you could distribute our BSD-licensed software!"), threatened to sue the FSF, etc. They're a pretty awful school.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

vi or nano, depends on the task.

• @raindog308 said: Pine was fine, but anyone who got a lot of mail in those days use mh. It's the Unix of mail clients...Pine is more the Windows 98 of mail clients. Serviceable but tedious.

I confess to being a nmh user with emacs as a front-end. :-D Go figure. (nmh is the resurrected version of mh.) mh was brilliant when it entered the scene.

I could never really warm up to pine, but it really did make email usable for the masses on Unix, which I give it credit for. And it now lives on as alpine.

Yeah, the U of Washington lied ("we never said you could distribute our BSD-licensed software!"), threatened to sue the FSF, etc. They're a pretty awful school.

I suspect that the people at UWash who actually wrote pine had little or no say regarding its license. It sounds like clueless administrators there decided on the license. When UWash finally woke up and changed pine's license to an apache license, the heyday of pine was long over.

• angstrom said: mh was brilliant when it entered the scene.

That said, mh was for Unix geeks, not for the masses, no question! But it was brilliant.

• @angstrom said:

angstrom said: mh was brilliant when it entered the scene.

That said, mh was for Unix geeks, not for the masses, no question! But it was brilliant.

mutt+slrn is all you needed back in the day.

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

angstrom said: mh was brilliant when it entered the scene.

mutt+slrn is all you needed back in the day.

pine was also a news reader, so it was a all-in-one solution for both email and news. :-)

Anyway, we're getting off-topic, not to mention that this is a seriously necroed thread!

• Yes, it was. We managed the basic same two common editors, then the GUI ones, so.. might as well discuss microsoft internet mail and news!

WSS said: mutt+slrn is all you needed back in the day.

Ah, no it wasn't. mh is likely the ultimate unix expression of mail handling, since everything you did was a pipe-able command.

angstrom said: That said, mh was for Unix geeks, not for the masses, no question! But it was brilliant.

angstrom said: I confess to being a nmh user

nmh 1.7 was released a month ago :-)

• @raindog308 said:
    Ah, no it wasn't. mh is likely the ultimate unix expression of mail handling, since everything you did was a pipe-able command.

Until you start using ii, and disband Discord, I don't wanna hear no lip about mh!

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2017

@raindog308 said: nmh 1.7 was released a month ago :-)

I'm on the mailing list (of course). At the moment, nmh is only at version 1.7-RC3. But the stable version should appear soon. :-)

• @WSS said: might as well discuss microsoft internet mail and news!

I had to use Windows XP for a period of time, but I've never used a mail or news program on Windows. That experience is missing from my life, I'm afraid.

• @angstrom said:
    I had to use Windows XP for a period of time, but I've never used a mail or news program on Windows. That experience is missing from my life, I'm afraid.

No, it really isn't.

Thanked by 1angstrom

angstrom said: I'm on the mailing list

You are now officially my hero. Staying deep with arcane-but-elegant code decades after it went out of fashion is just the sort of passionate endeavor that impresses me.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • I use vi(m). If I want to do a memory test, I open Atom though.

• @raindog308 said:

angstrom said: I'm on the mailing list

You are now officially my hero. Staying deep with arcane-but-elegant code decades after it went out of fashion is just the sort of passionate endeavor that impresses me.

You're kind, raindog308. But don't forget that I use emacs as a front-end for nmh, so feel free to deduct some praise for this. ;-)

Seriously, though, nmh is great. The big downside for many people is that it doesn't understand imap, so basically it's only usable for local mail. (It does understand pop, but no one seems to care about pop anymore.) As a consequence, it's hard to use nmh on mobile devices (unless you ssh to your server, but then screen size is often an issue).

• UltraEdit, hands down for Windows. I bought the lifetime licence well over a decade ago, and use it every day at work for EDI and general IT support.

On Linux, I use VI and Nano.

• ee and nano, regular notepad on windows

• aebaaeba Member
    edited September 2017

I started with emacs and then switched to spacemacs for vim keybindings. It took a little less than half a year for my pinky to hurt so much I had to stop using emacs keybindings.

Spacemacs is essentially a package on emacs so it runs on virtually anything (even over ssh!), and its design is very consistent in a good way.

Speaking of coding over ssh, the reason I used a vps in the first place was because I was a poor student without a laptop, but I was tired of installing the whole dev platform (at least the compiler and a text editor) every time I used a computer from the lab. Tmux + emacs + let really saved me then.

• Once, many moons ago, a weird contractor guy asked me why I didn’t use vi. I told him that it was because it gave you AIDS (because I was young and immature, unlike now, obv), and he looked slightly puzzled, then said his Dad had died from AIDS, which he got from fucking a stray cat.

I sat somewhere else the next day, and if anyone asked me why I didn’t use vi after that, I simply told them that my editing requirements were very light and that vi was too complex to be worth learning.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • hostenshostens Member, Host Rep

GUI - pluma, CLI - nano is preferred

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

nano and Notepad++

Thanked by 1alown