Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favorite text editor? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Favorite text editor?

Comments

• +1 vote for nano & notepad++

• Nano on Linux, Sublime Text for macOS.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2017

@clod said:
    I don't have a favorite, but this one called Codelobster is the worst piece of shit I've ever heard of in my life.

This edit brought to you by @jarland. Who wants SEO next?

You played the long game didn't you. Spamming since 2013 but never enough to get noticed. Well I noticed now. Enjoy your SEO. I left something special in every one of your posts.

Thanked by 2WSS cassa
  • seems that nano is the most popular, for quick and fast editing I like nano too.

for writing php or wordpress themes its brackets and it used to be Geany.

• Be honest ,I usually don't edit file in SSH, I will open sftp and download it back to local, edit it, and then re-upload, unless it's one line edit, which will just use vi

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@jarland said:

@clod said:
    I don't have a favorite, but this one called Codelobster is the worst piece of shit I've ever heard of in my life.

This edit brought to you by @jarland. Who wants SEO next?

You played the long game didn't you. Spamming since 2013 but never enough to get noticed. Well I noticed now. Enjoy your SEO. I left something special in every one of your posts.

My personal favorite of @jarland's edits:

Rosie O'Donnell naked and without makeup is more attractive than this fucking thing.

• Notepad++ on Windows, nano/mousepad on Linux. Depends on if I am working on terminal or gui.

• Phpstorm or die

• mp or ne on cli, sublime or gnats gps for development.

emacs is (imo) an abomination with a bloated bad editor and vi (which I know and sometimes use) is a six legged freak creature whose main purpose has become to serve as a "I'm a cool hackzor!" badge.

Windoze? Me not know, me not edit on windoze. If I had to I'd look whether mp or ne are available, if not I'd just use the built-in notepad.

• VScode lately. Before it was introduced I was a Sublime guy.

• I personally use vi/vim. Hate me, but I find nano repulsive

Edit plus on Windows

• vim works just swell for me.

• A propos nano: I personally dislike it. Feels like a toy plus has strange key bindings.

• @bsdguy said:
    A propos nano: I personally dislike it. Feels like a toy plus has strange key bindings.

It's based on pico, which came with PINE, which was an email reader for people too stupid to deal with UNIX.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

breton said: Vim only. How can you use anything except it on linux boxes? Especially emacs and nano, ugh.

I can respect emacs users, though. Not so much for nano.

I've found how thoroughly you exploit your text editor's features to be a good gauge of how much computer fu someone really has. If you're doing complicated search-and-replace with regex, awk, etc., have tons of macros, regularly are calling out to the shell (or lisp) to transform text, etc. then you're probably a fair hacker. If you're using nano, rely on copy-paste, and use the menus, you will never be.

• @WSS said:

@bsdguy said:
    A propos nano: I personally dislike it. Feels like a toy plus has strange key bindings.

It's based on pico, which came with PINE, which was an email reader for people too stupid to deal with UNIX.

Ah, don't be too hard on pine: many people loved it. What were the realistic alternatives? mail? elm?

• @raindog308 said:

breton said: Vim only. How can you use anything except it on linux boxes? Especially emacs and nano, ugh.

I can respect emacs users, though. Not so much for nano.

I've found how thoroughly you exploit your text editor's features to be a good gauge of how much computer fu someone really has. If you're doing complicated search-and-replace with regex, awk, etc., have tons of macros, regularly are calling out to the shell (or lisp) to transform text, etc. then you're probably a fair hacker. If you're using nano, rely on copy-paste, and use the menus, you will never be.

You in a way explain why I do not use or need vi[m]. I do lots of awk and sed and btw. far more complex transformations and ro-regex - to do all in the editor goes against unix ("do 1 thing and do it well") and is usually a compromise that is foul in one or the other way.

For a while I played with jed (s-lang) but found it to be lacking. So, for serious work I use sublime (or before that and still occasionally textadept) which gives me a door to e.g. awk buffers (just like vi[m]) plus a decent editor (which I feel vi[m] is not).

And how would "first learn and get used to weird non standard keys and ways to do things" go together with "be more productive"?
    Don't get me wrong; I did use my fair share of "oh, just invest some weeks to learn and get used to me" beasts (I loved my Brief editor) but, man, that was decades ago.

Btw. I mentioned mp and ne for those quick "edit some lines in a config" (or create one) that's the daily bread and butter in sys admin.

• notepad++

• @bsdguy said: Btw. I mentioned mp and ne for those quick "edit some lines in a config" (or create one) that's the daily bread and butter in sys admin.

I wasn't aware of ne. I may check it out. :-)

It's not so clear whether mp is still developed or supported, if you mean:

http://triptico.com/software/mp.html

In any case, mp doesn't seem to be packaged for Debian or included in pkgsrc.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited September 2017

@angstrom said:

@bsdguy said: Btw. I mentioned mp and ne for those quick "edit some lines in a config" (or create one) that's the daily bread and butter in sys admin.

I wasn't aware of ne. I may check it out. :-)

It's not so clear whether mp is still developed or supported, if you mean:

http://triptico.com/software/mp.html

In any case, mp doesn't seem to be packaged for Debian or included in pkgsrc.

ne is small, fast, and a nice middle ground between a toy like nano with strange key bindings and a "real" big editor.

mp (yes, the triptico thing) is a very small, amazingly capable editor which I like because there is also a version for X (which I find valuable).

In case you like small suckless stuff, you might also want to have a look at the clex (tui) file manager which is much lighter than the bloated mc monster and offers all the basic stuff (but requires a little getting used to).

P.S. No (distro) package? So what, I don't care; I'm used to build my stuff anyway from both slack and the BSDs.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @bsdguy said: ne is small, fast, and a nice middle ground between a toy like nano with strange key bindings and a "real" big editor.

Sounds good.

mp (yes, the triptico thing) is a very small, amazingly capable editor which I like because there is also a version for X (which I find valuable).

Yes, that's useful.

In case you like small suckless stuff, you might also want to have a look at the clex (tui) file manager which is much lighter than the bloated mc monster and offers all the basic stuff (but requires a little getting used to).

Another good tip -- thanks.

P.S. No (distro) package? So what, I don't care; I'm used to build my stuff anyway from both slack and the BSDs.

Yes, I understand.

It's more just a sign of current adoption or likely adoption if a program is packaged by a major distro -- I was simply making an observation.

• BBTNBBTN Member
    edited September 2017

@rds100 said:
    So is it only me who uses joe ?

Nah, me too. But I think about using nano now. :D

• I've never understood how joe works - but I have the feeling that a lot of people think the same with vim :')

I personally use vim and if doing larger projects on the desktop, then I just use Atom because.. ya lazy.

• @Zerpy it works the same as borland's editors used to work 20+ years ago.
    Anyone remembers borland pascal and borland C?

• Atom for SQL (multi-cursor) and just writing (MacOS).
    Gedit for writing (Linux).
    Komodo IDE for Python, HTML, CSS.
    Vim for everything else, or vi when vim isn't available.

Lately, I've been playing around with Spacemacs as a replacement for Atom and Gedit. The experiment is going well so far.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bsdguy said: You in a way explain why I do not use or need vi[m]. I do lots of awk and sed and btw. far more complex transformations and ro-regex - to do all in the editor goes against unix ("do 1 thing and do it well") and is usually a compromise that is foul in one or the other way.

I think the ultimate is probably emacs in vi-mode. vi is optimized for touching and doesn't lead to the kind of repetitive stress injury problems that emacs has (always hitting that control key), and is faster. But emacs is much less common and I just never got into it, despite various attempts.

I don't find spending an hour learning the basic keystrokes of an editor (which are swiftly uptaken as "finger macros") that big a deal, especially given the payback.

I guess I take fast touch-typing as table stakes, and then it's a question of how much repetitive work can be reduced. For example: every line has a price at the end, and you only want that price, then you want to sort it, filter out those over an amount, preserve the currency sign, and then type a comment after each. I just made that up but that kind of pick-out/transform/move operation is very common. I can do it quickly with awk or sed, sort, etc. I'm sure there are fast ways to do it in emacs. You could certainly do it by leaving the editor, using shell tools, and then coming back.

My real point is that there's a fair number of programmers, "hackers", and supposed computer professionals who would edit each line by hand. That saddens me. Proficiency in handling text (regular expressions, editors, various transformational tools, etc.) is an important cross-discipline skill and people who deal with text files all day long should master it.

rm -f soapbox

• I use ne. It's great for people who like the legacy key bindings and haven't gotten used to vi. Also, for those who like nano, this may be a more elegant replacement.

• @raindog308

You open an interesting point there, namely the in fact rather different profiles needed for system administration and for software development (which is usually just lumped together).

The major differentiator: as a sys admin one is usually confronted with dealing with existing data that need to be massaged, transformed, evaluated, etc. as a software developer one rather is creating.

As a developer, for instance, I'm very interested in smart snippets to comfortably and efficiently create everything for a function skeleton (intro, definition, docstrings, begin/end,...). In other words, what's repetitive in my work (which is quite different from a sys admin).

As for learning and knowing sed, awk, regex and friends it might not make much sense for most developers; plus, they are differently wired. Where a sys admin sees something requiring some, say, sed, a developer would often rather see something requiring a quick readlines loop with some splicing.
    I myself, being an old ugly guy with lots of unix under my belt but mainly soing development I happen to know the unix ways as well as the developer wiring. Btw, one actually quite difference I see is that the sysadmin typ. encounters mildly to low medium heavy data bodies to do something with while the developer tends to encounter the extremes, either "a couple of entries" or "gazillions of lines, record sets, whatever". For the former, stupid -semi manual editing (keep in mind that better editors have macros capabilities) might actually be the most efficient (for him) while for the latter he'll just naturally write code.

Btw, it's a shame imo that pretty much none of the smaller editors offers some kind of command line scripting à la vim.

• @angstrom said:
    Ah, don't be too hard on pine: many people loved it. What were the realistic alternatives? mail? elm?

elm until mutt. :crossarms:

• @bsdguy said:
    The major differentiator: as a sys admin one is usually confronted with dealing with existing data that need to be massaged, transformed, evaluated, etc. as a software developer one rather is creating.

As a developer, for instance, I'm very interested in smart snippets to comfortably and efficiently create everything for a function skeleton (intro, definition, docstrings, begin/end,...). In other words, what's repetitive in my work (which is quite different from a sys admin).

As for learning and knowing sed, awk, regex and friends it might not make much sense for most developers; plus, they are differently wired. Where a sys admin sees something requiring some, say, sed, a developer would often rather see something requiring a quick readlines loop with some splicing.

And then we have DevOps people that needs to know everything, and being experts in it :|
    At least, that's what job descriptions say.