Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net opens internationally - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net opens internationally

13»

Comments

• How does one choose one's own ISO to install?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2013

That basically says you cannot lose our surveillance

What surveillance? All it forbids is to change things which will make it difficult for them to troubleshoot when something fails hardware-wise. So they have to keep track of which server uses which RAID, what are the iLO settings for connecting to it, etc., and if you change that, you have to go via them.

Do not see that they install a root authorized key into your server and then forbid to remove it.

• @joelgm said:
    How does one choose one's own ISO to install?

they offer a limited amount of ISO from their automated installation routine:
    Debian Ubuntu Fedora CentOS Windows
    for remote desktop: ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu
    for virtual machines: esxi, proxmox
    for panel admin: plesk

I run BSDes, mostly OpenBSD: installation from qemu under the rescue linux.
    Otherwise you can load whatever iso from the virtual cdrom coming with the virtual remote console.

• @abravo said:

Yes, I know about the offered distros. How does the virtual cd rom work? Where's the 'virtual remote console'?

• on the admin page, you can see on the right the options buttons: reboot, rescue, iDRAC, install.
    You chose iDRAC and follow instructions. It will bring a java-applet console. Inside it you chose "virtual console" then "virtual media". So you can map any iso file to a virtual CD, and reboot, input F11 to get a boot menu options, where you will see "Virtual CDROM". It will load you iso.

(beware: installation from virtual CD of OpenBSD will not work, because OpenBSD resets, ie. switchs off the ethernet port, so killing the KVM. Then you need a ticket to support for a hard reboot)

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • btw. it's nothing to do with online.net, it's just the specific Dell KVM console. Tutorials are on Dell site and elsewhere. For instance:
    community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/2725-how-to-install-any-os-without-cd-dvd-or-usb-on-dell-servers-with-idrac

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • Thanks @abravo.

• you're welcome! For the price, the dedibox offering is quite ok it seems.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@zhuanyi said:
    IP failover blocks can only be ordered if you have subscribed to the Business service level.

Is that accurate? Or does that only apply to the lower end ones? The E3 that I had I was able to order a few IPs without any higher support level.

• @jarland said:
    Is that accurate? Or does that only apply to the lower end ones? The E3 that I had I was able to order a few IPs without any higher support level.

The lowest Nano at Eur 9.99 has 2 extra IPv4 that can be ordered. The Dedibox Classic Gen2 has 5 extra that can be ordered. If you need extra blocks over and above this limit, you need a business level. Apparently as the costlier the server, the more the number of available extra IPv4 that can be ordered.

• @jarland said:

I am not sure, this is what I saw in the control panel even though there seems to be a tickbox next to some IP addresses....

• @zhuanyi said:
    I am not sure, this is what I saw in the control panel even though there seems to be a tickbox next to some IP addresses....

Yea, those IPs are available at an extra fee

• Those who ordered recently..have you been charged VAT for your transactions outside the EU?

My bill shows VAT at 19.6 %, but the total does not reflect VAT. However the bill seems to be prorated this month, so I'm a bit confused about whether they've charged VAT. At the bottom of the bill, there's an asterisked clause: "VAT exempt according to art 44 - Dir 2006/112/CE"

• I'm outside EU, ordered classic-gen2 this month: no VAT.
    The bill shows the VAT rate as you have seen (19,6%) but then the field "Total VAT" ("Total TVA" in french) is 0. The asterisk tells indeed just that: VAT exemption, so the rate isn't applied.

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • How much for extra IP addresses?

• For those of you who are waiting for online.net's 9 Euro server...apparently they have an "exclusive reseller" OneProvider who will allow you to pay via paypal right now: http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france

Not sure if the server will be provisioned immediately though...

Thanked by 1earl
  • @zhuanyi said:
    For those of you who are waiting for online.net's 9 Euro server...apparently they have an "exclusive reseller" OneProvider who will allow you to pay via paypal right now: http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france

But it has just 160GB HAD.

• @zhuanyi said:
    For those of you who are waiting for online.net's 9 Euro server...apparently they have an "exclusive reseller" OneProvider who will allow you to pay via paypal right now: http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france

I have never read about OneProvider.
    :)
    It is a good option to search.

To have an idea, I search for a Dedi in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The best price:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz
    1x 500Gb 2GB 1000 Gb 1* $ 248

\o/

• @joelgm said:
    But it has just 160GB HAD.

interesting how Online.NET offers 250GB but this one only offers 160GB....

• @zhuanyi said:

Online.net used to offer 500GB for French nationals, and 160GB for foreigners. In opening internationally, one would expect the disparity to have ceased. However those servers are oos.

• @joelgm said:
    Online.net used to offer 500GB for French nationals, and 160GB for foreigners. In opening internationally, one would expect the disparity to have ceased. However those servers are oos.

This OneProvider is supposedly to be a reseller of them, wondering if they have some stock already reserved...

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

Someone was saying they got 2x1TB drives on the nano @ 9.99 euro/mo, and it was an international order..

@zhuanyi said:

I always see it as 500Gb hybrid drive? I never saw it with 250 or 160 GB drives on their website.

• Buy a mistake I did ,when I took a order of Dedibox SC server 26/08/2013 then when the system was delivering the server, I Terminated the service.
    So actually I did not get the server and use it.
    But now online.net still lets me to pay for it.