Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net opens internationally
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net opens internationally

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited October 2013 in Providers

Twitter @online_fr

After 2 years of tests, we are now officially open for international sales. Stocks are same as FR. Same price, same service !
2013-10-16

Go go go! :D

Their 29.99 EUR dedi http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-classic
now shows as 42 in stock https://console.online.net/en/order/server

Thanked by 3jcaleb Maounique Pats

Comments

• Well that really good news.Know they have real opportunity to get ovh customers since ovh have no stock left.So good luck online.net

• do they provide IPMI or KVM?

• their support is amazing bad ><
    even compare to ovh

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited October 2013

@mov3 said:
    do they provide IPMI or KVM?

The dedibox classic has IPMI and you can just link your own ISO. Very decent server, just a shame it's in France and they don't just give you a /29...

By the way: anybody know if those VIA Nano U2250 CPUs support VT? Search engines give mixed results, some saying it has VT others saying it hasn't.

• skybucks100skybucks100 Member
    edited October 2013

@mpkossen said:
    By the way: anybody know if those VIA Nano U2250 CPUs support VT? Search engines give mixed results, some saying it has VT others saying it hasn't.

I haven't installed any virtualization software, but I hope this helps:

spencer@sd-39750:~$ grep --color vmx /proc/cpuinfo flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc up rep_good nopl pni monitor **vmx** est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr rng rng_en ace ace_en ace2 phe phe_en lahf_lm

(it has the vmx flag, so I guess in theory it supports it but I haven't tested it)

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • i really wanted to try out the u2250, but it's all sold out.. seems everthing gets sold out after ovh stopped excepting new orders..

i think the via has ipmi onboard but dont think the vt works...

• i tried with VT on one of my u2250's and.. lets just say it didnt really work..

• @AutoSnipe said:
    i tried with VT on one of my u2250's and.. lets just say it didnt really work..

Slow or...?

• Got me a dedibox classic to try out.

• If I had not bought a Datashack few days ago, I would have grabbed a dedibox classic...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Personally I won't use them, they forbid Tor (relays too) and have an automated system in place to detect if anyone is running it, which files an abuse ticket and warns the user to remove it in 72 hours or be terminated.

• @rm_ said:
    Personally I won't use them, they forbid Tor (relays too) and have an automated system in place to detect if anyone is running it, which files an abuse ticket and warns the user to remove it in 72 hours or be terminated.

Hmm.. I was on the lookout for a low priced server for a long time. I have used online.net in the past, with the lowest priced Atom, which couldnt use KVM. Unfortunately, those servers were offered with 500 GB space for the French, and 160 GB for others, which was disgusting.

• Just got a email back from online too (as i was asking if they were gonna have more stock of the u2250's)
    and that is still going to be the case currently, and they are ONLY for french customers now. so i wonder if they will let me keep my 18 of them on my next renewal.

• @AutoSnipe 18 of them? Lol, what are you using these for? :) If it's not a secret, of course.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

@rm_ said:

I might use a classic, I pay 26 Eur for my own server colo with similar specs less processor. However, I have a /29. I doubt i would have 7 MB/s speed in France for my iSCSI archive, though, so I am really torn :(
    The Tor part is not really a problem, who does not allow Tor will run freenet, np there :P

EDIT: I have looked closer, the choice is great. They really thought of most usage scenarios.

• @rds100 - i have 4 personal servers, 2 backup servers, 1 web server, and the rest of them have been rented out to mates and a few other people.. i stocked up when they were in stock.. (pity i only got the 160gb ones)
    and as soon as i saw the Classic's come in stock i was BUY BUY BUYYYYY..

edited October 2013

who does not allow Tor will run freenet, np there :P

It actually lists both Tor and Freenet by name in that section of the ToS.
    Not sure if they have automation to detect and shoot down Freenet as well.
    Also it lists "Hacktivismo" (probably this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacktivismo#The_Six.2FFour_System) and A4Proxy (some other anonymous proxying tool I assume). Hard to tell but it seems those are only listed as "including, but not limited to...", i.e. not an exhaustive list.
    See their ToS (I could only find a French version, which is funny, considering their Twitter fanfare of "official opening", and stuff...)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

Freenet is hard to find, however, I didnt know they forbid it, I only look at ToS after I decide an offer is good enough.
    I am sure I can hide it since it only communicates over random UDP ports and has data padding and encryption, but i never knowingly breach a ToS (it happened when there were changes though).

• I got one. As of now 16.10.13 ~16:25, 5 classic still available...

@AutoSnipe:> Just got a email back from online too (as i was asking if they were gonna >have more stock of the u2250's) and that is still going to be the case currently, and >they are ONLY for french customers now. so i wonder if they will let me keep my 18 >of them on my next renewal.

I was with their support over the phone: the availability of a given server model to french only or anyone, depends only on stock availability. From what I understood, it's related to security of orders on their side. Ie: when they have stocked in a number of some servers, like the current classic-gen2, any payment method is ok (verified paypal accouny, CC, french bank billing) . Otherwise, if they don't have the servers there ready to go, they must order the boxes after the customer has ordered. To make it safe on their side, they need some garanty about the payment. Which means french banks/french residents.
    They told me that depending on the periods and pre-ordered stocks they buy, any model of server can be made available to anyone.
    It means also that it doesn't affect non-french residents who are renting servers available before to anyone.

• contacted them couple days ago.. now, english language can be use without 404 error :)

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Can't use our RIPE IPs on his servers, they dont wont announce it on his routers :(

• Does anyone know if they'll be upgrading people with 160gb disks on the gen2's to match the 500gb french spec?

• Support is not good,but servers are reliable.

edited October 2013

Yesterday the stock dipped below 20, today it's 42 again... good to see they are working to build new servers to meet the demand.

• any payment method is ok (verified paypal accouny, CC, french bank billing)

That's (accepting credit card payments) good news. They used to only accept verified PayPal account payments for non-French customers.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm confused by this. What's new about it? My ability to order from them from the US, as well as talk to them in English, is not exactly a new thing.

• too bad their 9.99 euro / month box isn't available.

like to replace my OVH box =-\

I'm confused by this. What's new about it? My ability to order from them from the US, as well as talk to them in English, is not exactly a new thing.

Prior to this the 29.99 EUR server was always in stock only on the French page, the English one was showing zero stock for weeks. The 14.99 EUR one was never available internationally. And the 9.99 was 500 GB HDD for the French vs 160 GB HDD for everyone else (but this one is now not available at all).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2013

@rm_ said:
    Prior to this the 29.99 EUR server was always in stock only on the French page, the English one was showing zero stock for weeks. The 14.99 EUR one was never available internationally. And the 9.99 was 500 GB HDD for the French vs 160 GB HDD for everyone else (but this one is now not available at all).

Didn't know it's international stock was a big deal, I ordered one of the 29.99 E3s on the en page first try a couple months ago. Just canceled it. Guess I caught a lucky day. Definitely recommend them.