Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should LET users be allowed to discuss policies on LET? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should LET users be allowed to discuss policies on LET?

Comments

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

What is even more troublesome is that Jon asked me to remove photos of their messy rack in San Jose from vpsBoard. I complied, because I'm a nice guy and I understand it wasn't his fault that the rack was a mess. I thought I'd cut them some slack. Looks like those images may have reappeared...

Thanked by 3Zigara ryanarp lbft
  • It's like you come to someone's party and invites everyone to go to your own party next door. I wouldn't blame the first party owner to get angry.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I admit that I do not really like @manndude.

He has been asked 3 times not to blatantly advertise his website in posts and signature and ignored all 3 warnings. I even messaged him personally in a PM. Still no change.

If his website comes up as part of normal conversation, that's fine. Just like every other website in the world. No big deal. But what he does is drastically different.

Sigh...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Was he? Was he asked nicely not to have the link in his signature? Because I don't think he was.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited October 2013

@jbiloh said:
    If his website comes up as part of normal conversation, that's fine. Just like every other website in the world. No big deal. But what he does is drastically different.

Sigh...

Wasn't there multiple threads where vpsb was linked to as reference material to a specific conversation where people wanted "evidence" of said matter, and it was blatantly edited out and called spamming/advertising?

Not picking sides here, it just sounds flawed, and could be a contributing factor to the whole situation...

Thanked by 2ryanarp lbft
  • ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2013

Is it possible @jbiloh that you can point out this "blatant" advertising. I wish I could see it, and I might can if you point it out. However from what I can tell this blatant advertising stunt was brought on by CVPS_Chris in this thread about Buffalooed. Only reason Manndude had any reason to post over here was due to this thread. So I don't see how Manndude is to blame in this scenario. In just the general context of this thread it wouldn't exactly be easy for VPSBoard.com to never be mentioned. So if the popularity of CVPS_Chris thread made it a blatant advertising stunt. I would think CVPS_Chris did the actual advertising and not Manndude. Anyone else mind blown from this perspective?http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/14656/dealing-with-the-buffalooed-bullsh-t-mafia#latest

For that matter, @ryanarp, I don't understand why you were targeted for a new user group as opposed to being politely asked to remove a link they didn't want in your signature.

edited October 2013

Actually I just now noticed that VPSBoard has been removed from my signature? I thought policy was that MannDude couldn't do blatant advertising. I didn't realize we couldn't have them in ours?

Yes it has. If someone can point me to that open policy or the polite removal request, do so now.

• @ryanarp said:
    Actually I just now noticed that VPSBoard has been removed from my signature? I thought policy was that MannDude couldn't do blatant advertising. I didn't realize we couldn't have them in ours?

I still see it.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Still seeing it.

@awson said:
    I still see it.

The server in the cluster that has this change has it removed. Judging by the user group, it would be illogical to assume that this was not intentional at least at some level or at some point in time.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2013

This is all getting a little ridiculous and it's starting to seem like the both of you, MannDude and Jarland, care more about drama than about VPSes.

Look, we all get that you don't like LEB/T's policies. Really, we get it. But the reality, whether good or bad, fair or unfair, is that this is a private site and the owners can do whatever they want with it.

If you don't like what LET's become... don't visit it and give it more traffic. If enough people agree with you, they'll do the same and LET will become a graveyard.

At this point, though, I think it's more likely people who couldn't care less about conspiracies and drama and simply want to talk about VPSes -- like me -- will come back here from vpsBoard.

Thanked by 1jimpop

It looks like it is only on the Member_No_Signature. I guess they fixed it.

https://dropbox.com/s/glzabd92mrw3wkm/Screenshot%202013-10-11%2022.20.29.png

@awson said:
    I still see it.

Ryan doesn't need to remove it.

The rules for Manndude, who owns the website, are obviously a bit different. We're doing our absolute best here to provide a welcoming environment for everyone. Some of the more seasoned folks on LET will remember a time about a year ago where this could sometimes be a brutally mean place. That's not the case anymore.

Yes we obviously make mistakes at some points, and certain things could have been handled better -- like how the ownership situation was announced. But we learn from that and move on better able to handle things in the future.

Constructive criticism is welcome, either publicly or private. We appreciate everyone being here.

That's probably a legitimate cluster issue right now. We're dealing with some after affects of reimporting a bunch of data from a few days ago along with a few other nagging issues. They should be solved entirely by Monday or before, and hopefully then we can retire the cluster discussion for a long time.

@jbiloh said:

Problem is I didn't remove it.

@jbiloh said:

Then why is he in the special user group where, when noticeable by that member of the cluster, has this single link removed?

http://i43.tinypic.com/kbvzm1.png

@ryanarp said:
    Problem is I didn't remove it.

LOL, I literally see it in your signature. So like I've said, could be a cluster sync issue atm.

@jbiloh said:
    LOL, I literally see it in your signature. So like I've said, could be a cluster sync issue atm.

So one member of the cluster has him in a special user group for people without signatures and this link is removed in that particular member of the cluster? Could you tell me how the cluster filters content?

Seems that way.

The cluster runs 2 x MySQL DB's and clearing the syncing isn't working right so we have a situation where there are 2 copies of the DB right now.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited October 2013

EDIT: And after posting it magically reappears. #WELP

So the cluster has been programmed to put people with vpsboard.com in their signature in a specific group and then remove the link from their signature. Strange. Have you tried contacting the developers? Seems like an odd irregularity.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 2013

I decided I just don't care.

@jbiloh said:

Is there a reason you are lying about this? I really see no reason to lie about it. This forum has a much better chance if there is just more honest transparency. In the spirit of transparency, why don't you just tell people what you sent me in a PM. Can I have permission to post screenshot?

Thanked by 1jar

@ryanarp said:
    Is there a reason you are lying about this? I really see no reason to lie about it. This forum has a much better chance if there is just more honest transparency. In the spirit of transparency, why don't you just tell people what you sent me in a PM. Can I have permission to post screenshot?

Quoted so he has to delete two posts.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Hes not lying, and you can see by the time on my desktop that I took it just moments ago.

@CVPS_Chris said:
    Hes not lying, and you can see by the time on my desktop that I took it just moments ago.

Duh, it's the cluster. His signature is only filtered on one piece of the cluster so far. The "error" is that you aren't seeing what we see every time.

• @ihatetonyy said:

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
This discussion has been closed.