Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices

Comments

• After Ubuntu kernel update:

iperf -c iperf.online.net

Client connecting to iperf.online.net, TCP port 5001

TCP window size: 43.8 KByte (default)

[ 3] local 213.32.0.80 port 58762 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 2.01 GBytes 1.72 Gbits/sec

That's very impressive. Thank you guys!

Thanked by 1luissousa
  • Thanks. I did what you guys suggested and it worked for me.

• so, how is the performance with linux iso distribution? can the little arm cpu handle all those peers?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@twing said:

But it breaks iptables/ufw with the following error

modprobe: FATAL: Module ip_tables not found in directory /lib/modules/4.5.2-armada375
    iptables v1.6.0: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Any way to fix this?

check /lib/modules for the name of the folder inside, then do ln -s /lib/modules/foldername /lib/modules/4.5.2-armada375

not an elegant solution, but did work so far for my use case...

@zeitgeist said:
    Dunno how you guys did, but it doesn't work in my case. I honestly don't even understand how it is supposed to work for you. :p

Under Debian Stretch, for example, the ovh kernel is installed in the uImage format, which is loaded by U-Boot. On the other hand, the standard Debian arm kernel is installed as a “raw” ELF image (vmlinux). It is basically ignored by U-Boot, which is why you see the same kernel after reboot. Why your upload throughput has suddenly increased - IHNFC :) But it didn't work for me.

I tried converting the Debian stock kernel to uImage.

$ cd /boot
    $ mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-4.9.0-6-armmp -d vmlinuz-4.9.0-6-armmp uImage-4.9.0-6-armmp
    $ rm uImage
    $ ln -s uImage-4.9.0-6-armmp uImage

but then the server wouldn't start (don't see why). I also tried adding the correct dtb file to the image:

$ cd /boot
    $ cat vmlinuz-4.9.0-6-armmp armada-375-mirabox.dtb >> image_temp
    $ mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-4.9.0-6-armmp -d zImage-image_temp uImage-4.9.0-6-armmp
    $ rm uImage
    $ ln -s uImage-4.9.0-6-armmp uImage

But again it didn't boot then. Not sure what else I am missing here.

you are totally right, the workaround is quite dirty and not really how it is supposed to be done. yet it was the fastest way to check if somehow the kernel is the root cause here.

afaik one could try to start a vnc server from rescue mode to connect to via ssh tunnel and run a netinst through it? but from what I saw the diskspace in rescue is very limited and 2GB RAM are not much either to create additional ramdisk...
    or maybe try to narrow down, which kernel module is at fault and if it can be replaced manually somehow.

for why it is not working: maybe it makes a difference, if you just remove the armada kernel package or even purge everything related to it, including the headers/modules stuff. after a reboot I did find a broken link to the uImage in /boot, but I have no experience with uImage/ELF and stuff. also too lazy to just dig into it yet ;-)

as written above, the package swap most likely isn't a clean solution, yet I intend to use the box only as storage, so won't really run anything besides ssh anyways.
    good enough for me, sorry for everyone if it isn't working for you and please be aware that the whole replacement might come with yet unknown side effects.

TL;DR; as you all are buying unmanaged dedicated servers, I am sure you know what you are doing here :-D :-D :-D

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • sinsin Member

Falzo said: yet I intend to use the box only as storage, so won't really run anything besides ssh anyways.

Yeah I'm going to use mine just for storage (I'm going to be rsyncing backups from my servers to the SYS ARM) and that's it so I won't be running anything else. Hopefully no future updates or anything mess it up.

• @InfinityHosting said:
    4.5.2-armada375 #1 SMP Tue Oct 25 11:52:56 CEST 2016

You have installed debian 9 template with distribution kernel ?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2805818/#Comment_2805818

Yes. I did. I had the same result - first I installed with the Debian 9 template and distribution kernel selected. What got installed was the ovh kernel 4.9.58-armada375 through:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ovh.list
    deb http://last.public.ovh.hdaas.snap.mirrors.ovh.net/debian/ stretch main

when you uninstall it with

$ apt purge armada

install the Debian kernel instead with

$ apt install linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp

and reboot the machine, what happens is that an earlier ovh kernel (4.5.2-armada375) is booted. Where does that kernel come from? Good question. :) Anyone?

On the other hand the Debian kernel doesn't appear to be used at all - neither when you do a fresh setup (with distribution kernel selected) nor when you install it manually afterwards.

My test after removing the kernel 4.9.58-armada375 kernel, installing the debian ones instead, and rebooting:

$ uname -r -v
    4.5.2-armada375 #1 SMP Tue Oct 25 11:52:56 CEST 2016

$ iperf -c iperf.online.net

------------------------------------------------------------
    Client connecting to ping.online.net, TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 87.5 KByte (default)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [  3] local x.x.x.x port 50034 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  3]  0.0- 1.0 sec  46.8 MBytes   392 Mbits/sec
    [  3]  1.0- 2.0 sec  43.5 MBytes   365 Mbits/sec

Now isn't that funny. Now the throughput is fine. I swear it was stuck at 5 Mbits/sec when I ran the same speedtest an hour ago.

Whatever. Perhaps this earlier 4.5.2-armada375 kernel doesn't have speed throttling. Unfortunately, it is really old (2016), and I would rather be able to use a patched kernel and to have an unthrottled network.

PS: I tried using the Debian stock kernel via KEXEC, but ovh's kernel doesn't support KEXEC. :(

• Btw, you can see an OVH engineer talking about their patched kernel for our boxes here:

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1605.0/00407.html

And there's also included the kernel patches for it:

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1605.0/00407/patches.tgz

Looks like they are patching tcp.c and tcp_output.c ...

Thanked by 2Falzo that_guy
  • twingtwing Member

Falzo said: check /lib/modules for the name of the folder inside, then do ln -s /lib/modules/foldername /lib/modules/4.5.2-armada375

I tried but it still error'd with

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'ip_tables': Exec format error
    iptables v1.6.0: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)

But thanks for the help, im going to give debian a try and ditch ubuntu.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@zeitgeist said:
    Btw, you can see an OVH engineer talking about their patched kernel for our boxes here:

Soooo I see mainly gso related things - have people tried disabling gso? ^_^

• @twing said:

Falzo said: check /lib/modules for the name of the folder inside, then do ln -s /lib/modules/foldername /lib/modules/4.5.2-armada375

I tried but it still error'd with

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'ip_tables': Exec format error

But thanks for the help, im going to give debian a try and ditch ubuntu.

After uninstalling the updated ovh kernel, what you get is an older one that's probably booted through netboot I am not sure. What's missing are the right modules now. You could install it via

$ wget http://last.public.ovh.hdaas.snap.mirrors.ovh.net/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-modules-armada375/linux-modules-armada375_4.5.2-4_armhf.deb

$ dpkg -i linux-modules-armada375_4.5.2-4_armhf.deb

• @Zerpy said:
    Soooo I see mainly gso related things - have people tried disabling gso? ^_^

No difference with the latest ovh kernel with gso disabled. The patches posted in the mailing list were for 4.5.2 (which is installed when we remove 4.9.58 and which doesn't have the speed throttle). I presume there are some additional patches in 4.9.58. The question is - with the patchset for 4.5.2, couldn't we recompile our own up-to-date kernel that would work here?

• @zeitgeist said:
    Btw, you can see an OVH engineer talking about their patched kernel for our boxes here:

That thread is from May 2016, are you sure it's related?

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited June 2018

@michaels said:

That thread is about the 4.5.2 kernel that we get through u-boot when we uninstall the newer 4.9.58 kernel (which is automatically installed in the setup). 4.5.2 = no speed throttle, but compatible with our arm cpu. 4.9.58 = throttle. The 4.5.2 patchset could perhaps be used to make our own more current kernel that would also work with this server, since our other only option is to use 4.9.58 which has the trottle issue (and for which we don't have the patchset).

• FalzoFalzo Member

@zeitgeist said:

@michaels said:

That thread is about the 4.5.2 kernel that we get through u-boot when we uninstall the newer 4.9.58 kernel (which is automatically installed in the setup). 4.5.2 = no speed throttle, but compatible with our arm cpu. 4.9.58 = throttle. The 4.5.2 patchset could perhaps be used to make our own more current kernel that would also work with this server, since our other only option is to use 4.9.58 which has the trottle issue (and for which we don't have the patchset).

I looked into compiling an own kernel, but it does seem not so easy, as you most likely need config files for the board vendor, which obivously is OVH with some kind of development board for that marvell armada 375...

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@mosan7763 said:
    so, how is the performance with linux iso distribution? can the little arm cpu handle all those peers?

I have a ratio of 350 on the 1.8GB HBO World S02E09 720p DEFLATE torrent (added exactly 37 hours ago).

• @AC_Fan said:

@mosan7763 said:
    so, how is the performance with linux iso distribution? can the little arm cpu handle all those peers?

I have a ratio of 350 on the 1.8GB HBO World S02E09 720p DEFLATE torrent (added exactly 37 hours ago).

proof?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2018

Apparently someone is already hard limited to 250Mbit, I guess that has to do that we found a wait down the rabbit hole.

Let see if more people get limited to 250Mbit.

• twingtwing Member

After uninstalling the updated ovh kernel, what you get is an older one that's probably booted through netboot I am not sure. What's missing are the right modules now. You could install it via

$ wget http://last.public.ovh.hdaas.snap.mirrors.ovh.net/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-modules-armada375/linux-modules-armada375_4.5.2-4_armhf.deb

$ dpkg -i linux-modules-armada375_4.5.2-4_armhf.deb

Awesome, fixed it, thanks for the help.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2018

Falzo said: I looked into compiling an own kernel, but it does seem not so easy, as you most likely need config files for the board vendor, which obivously is OVH with some kind of development board for that marvell armada 375...

Honestly. with you guys being such knobs to me earlier I almost didn't write this reply.. but feeling nice.. so here you go....

First, when you remove the kernel in use on the server after installing Stretch as you have been doing, what actually occurs (my opinion) is that their boot loader looks for their specific kernel versions in /boot and if they are not found it Netboots the 4.5.2 kernel you end up with. I have verified it is indeed the 4.5.2 kernel by trying to load modules made for 4.9.0 under it and failing.

Now, that said, here are a few things to help you out:

1. http://last.public.ovh.hdaas.snap.mirrors.ovh.net/debian/pool/main/l/

After visiting here, if you check linux-modules-armada375/ you will find most of the basic modules for the 4.5.2 kernel in a .deb, additionally, at that same link you can find the kernel headers for 4.5.2 as well. You will want to install both of these packages once changing to use the 4.5.2 kernel.

2. You can download the Linux Kernel from kernel.org:
    https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.5.2.tar.gz

Now, if you need your own kernel modules that are not already supplied with the above package, what you can do is:

• cp /lib/modules/4.5.2-armada375/build/.config into the kernel source directory
    • 'make oldconfig' in kernel source directory
    • 'make menuconfig' and select the modules you wish to compile (may need to install libncurse5 / libncurse5-dev if not installed already)
    • Update the Kernel / Modules Makefile to include the CFLAGS '-fno-pic' as you will otherwise end up with an error loading modules of 'Unknown symbol GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE ' without this change.
    • More information on that module error showing the need for the above CFLAGS: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-kernel/dzEIOVuxtEo

Then, once saved, you can build the modules 'make -j2 modules' and they will be loadable by your kernel.

You can likely do a 'make modules_install' but my bet is it will make a new modules folder that doesn't exactly match your current kernel, in my case I simply copied the built modules into the existing '/lib/modules/4.5.2-armada375' folder and then did a 'depmod -a' which then allows you to load them with modprobe.

With this done you can create the needed xts, gf128mul modules needed for LUKS if you want and you also have the benefit of your upload working at full speed.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• Awesome thread! Nice to see people helping each other. :)

• FalzoFalzo Member

out of curiosity I just reinstalled again, debian 9 and not ticking the distro kernel checkbox... guess what, box came up directly with the 4.5.2 kernel and no speed limit whatsoever.

the uImage file for 4.9.58 is available on the template and linked in /boot though. I guess that checkbox then simply decides whether the system looks for that uImage during boot or directly uses the default kernel via netboot.

that said the given hints from @TheLinuxBug esp. about obtaining the .config from the previous modules folder might come in handy on trying to compile an own kernel from scratch and replace the uImage with it...

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Zerpy said: have people tried disabling gso? ^_^

Yes we tried with @Neoon on IRC, it only makes things worse.

As for what actually happens, as installing the Debian kernel doesn't actually boot it, it's very puzzling that doing so changed anything. However you did one more thing, which is removing the armada modules. And one guess that I have is that there may have been cpufreq modules for it, which caused the CPU to slow down too much under no load (and iperf is almost no load, right?)

Check by installing cpufrequtils, then comparing cpufreq-info on a "bad" server, and after the "fix". If it's indeed the issue, then simply setting cpufreq-set -g performance should also fix it.

• It would be nice if we could compile our own kernel. The 4.5.2 kernel is quite old and I wouldn't trust it to work perfectly with, for example, packages in Debian Stretch. Tried to install xtables-addons-dkms, but it failed to build modules with 4.5.2.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@zeitgeist said:
    It would be nice if we could compile our own kernel. The 4.5.2 kernel is quite old and I wouldn't trust it to work perfectly with, for example, packages in Debian Stretch. Tried to install xtables-addons-dkms, but it failed to build modules with 4.5.2.

just running a test compilation for a 4.9.109 kernel now, as this is the newest 4.9 afaik and should still be close to the config-options of that 4.9.58 in the template.

will run through the whole process and see if any errors are popping up and what files I get from it (uImage etc.) - if that works I probably need to do another reinstall again to enable the distro-kernel again , do the whole compile stuff again (not sooo fast on ARM) and try to replace the image then.

will give an update on the results ofc ;-)

did I say I'll let it go?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@rm_ said:

Check by installing cpufrequtils, then comparing cpufreq-info on a "bad" server, and after the "fix". If it's indeed the issue, then simply setting cpufreq-set -g performance should also fix it.

cpufreq-info for default stretch template with default kernel 4.5.2, no changes to kernel or modules so far, no limiting issue though:

# cpufreq-info
    cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
    Report errors and bugs to [email protected], please.
    analyzing CPU 0:
      no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
      maximum transition latency: 0.00 ms.
    analyzing CPU 1:

Thanked by 1rm_
  • twingtwing Member

@rm_ said:
    And one guess that I have is that there may have been cpufreq modules for it, which caused the CPU to slow down too much under no load (and iperf is almost no load, right?)

Both a good and bad server report the same

analyzing CPU 0:
    analyzing CPU 1:

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Whatever the actual fix was, I can get 200mbps downloading a real file from this BHS machine to Online Paris now, versus 50mbps before removing the armada modules.

aria2: [#8a1874 3.1GiB/3.2GiB(98%) CN:4 DL:26MiB ETA:1s]

• zkyezzkyez Member

You did not "remove" the armada modules simply because there aren't any. The network support is built in:

root@ns3087902:~# ethtool -i eth0|grep driver && zgrep -i mvpp2 /proc/config.gz
    driver: mvpp2
    CONFIG_MVPP2=y

What you did is you booted an earlier kernel release from the standard one:

root@ns3087902:~# grep -i purge /var/log/dpkg.log && uname -r
    2018-06-19 18:37:49 startup packages purge
    2018-06-19 18:37:50 purge linux-headers-4.9.58-armada375:armhf 4.9.58-3 <none>
    2018-06-19 18:37:50 purge linux-image-4.9.58-armada375:armhf 4.9.58-3 <none>
    4.5.2-armada375

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2018

Uh, France is getting low on stock, so if you need one, get it now.

4 and 6TB is already gone, the 4TB is not restocked since about 1 week sadly.

• twaintwain Member
    edited June 2018

Wonder if these servers can DHCP to the assigned IP... That way you could perhaps dd an ARMv7 liveCD hybrid ISO onto sda and try to boot from that.. not sure if would work though with all the bootloader limitations/oddities on these things.

Also for those asking about a light panel for these things, Froxlor or Ajenti might perform OK'ish, but not sure if compatible with ARM or not.

A couple others that look interesting:
    https://github.com/netserva/hcp/blob/master/README.md
    https://dietpi.com

Again, not sure if any of these would work on these SYS ARMv7 servers or not.