Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Neoon said:
    No idea but with Ubuntu it works, it works to good, but why.

while I still doubt the OS has anything to do with it... did you personalize the install (like using distribution kernel) or did you simply use all defaults?

• twaintwain Member
    edited June 2018

I customized my install with Ubuntu distribution kernel in BHS, and appears to get ~30Mbit upload to outside OVH (and ~150 within OVH; forgot to note that detail on my earlier post). Never tried with the standard non-distribution kernel template. Perhaps that caps it even more, but I think people were saying it's better in BHS vs France, so it likely doesn't make a difference, but haven't specifically compared between kernels.

My next play will likely be to try to bootstrap Arch (think that supports ARM7?), or some other ARM supported dist, to see if that makes any difference.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited June 2018

fresh ubuntu install (distro kernel) in GRA1

# iperf -c iperf.online.net
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Client connecting to iperf.online.net, TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 43.8 KByte (default)
    [  3] local 193.70.x.x port 40848 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  3]  0.0-10.4 sec  5.75 MBytes  4.66 Mbits/sec

as said before I doubt anyway that this is related to the software/os/driver on the servers itself...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

twain said: I customized my install with Ubuntu distribution kernel in BHS, and appears to get ~30Mbit upload to outside OVH (and ~150 within OVH; forgot to note that detail on my earlier post). Never tried with the standard non-distribution kernel template.

Which kernel versions do you get when you select distribution kernel, and which on OVH kernel? It would be best to try the newest available version, and for that to figure out which distro or kernel option is required to get it.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@rm_ said:

distri kernel for the ubuntu install: 4.9.58-armada375

Also here is the mvpp2 kernel module: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvpp2

It gets developed heavily, tons of commits over the past few months: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commits/master/drivers/net/ethernet/marvell

But what that gets you I don't know, it's not like you can swap in just the driver onto the 4.9 kernel. Ideally someone should try 4.14 or 4.16+ there, but I don't know what boot system OVH uses on these, and if it's possible to just build and boot up your own kernel.

• S3phyS3phy Member

@Falzo said:

> ------------------------------------------------------------
    > Client connecting to iperf.online.net, TCP port 5001
    > TCP window size: 43.8 KByte (default)
    > [  3] local 193.70.82.x port 40848 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    > [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    > [  3]  0.0-10.4 sec  5.75 MBytes  4.66 Mbits/sec
    > 

as said before I doubt anyway that this is related to the software/os/driver on the servers itself...

Mine is on GRA2, fresh ubuntu install with distro kernel.

[  3] local 54.37.27.x port 36356 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.13 GBytes   970 Mbits/sec

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited June 2018

What a > @rm_ said:

Thanks, what I was looking for. Just to see whether any commit deals with such an issue.

But what that gets you I don't know, it's not like you can swap in just the driver onto the 4.9 kernel. Ideally someone should try 4.14 or 4.16+ there, but I don't know what boot system OVH uses on these, and if it's possible to just build and boot up your own kernel.

They use UBoot, and somehow tweaked kernels even if using the "distro kernel" install option (which btw gives plenty of funny errors in the logs...). Too much a hassle to waste time on that.

Yay, finally cancelled that shite. Thanks @OVH_Matt and others for your time, but your terribad colleagues are not worth raising my heart rate.

• FredQcFredQc Member

This is mine and I have no upload issues.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@S3phy said:

did/do you have issues with other templates?

so far this would make me even more believe that the whole thing is just dependant on the switches you are on, maybe you are lucky with the rack you are in within GRA2 ...

• twaintwain Member

@Falzo said:

> [  3] local 193.70.82.197 port 40848 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    > [  3]  0.0-10.4 sec  5.75 MBytes  4.66 Mbits/sec
    > 

Agreed, I also don't think it's kernel/driver/OS related, however, could be interesting to bootstrap a non-Debian/Ubuntu ARM dist just to see/test.

• S3phyS3phy Member
    edited June 2018

@Falzo said:

@S3phy said:

did/do you have issues with other templates?

so far this would make me even more believe that the whole thing is just dependant on the switches you are on, maybe you are lucky with the rack you are in within GRA2 ...

I installed Ubuntu directly.
    Testing from debian 9 with everything left to stock, I have the issue:

[  3] local 54.37.27.47 port 54590 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    [  3]  0.0-10.1 sec  5.62 MBytes  4.67 Mbits/sec

• Hi

Mine arm-2t is at GRA2 Rack: G211A22

With Debian 9 & ovh kernel 4.9.58 i have

root@c:~# iperf -c ping.online.net
    Client connecting to ping.online.net, TCP port 5001
    [  3] local 54.37.26.49 port 45704 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    [  3]  0.0-10.2 sec  5.62 MBytes  4.65 Mbits/sec

but on a kimsufi download is at ~100 mb/s from the arm-2t.
    the same from multiple servers outside the ovh network (ikoula, aruba, sfr) it is 4-5 mb/s max

• FalzoFalzo Member

S3phy said: I installed Ubuntu directly.

okay that's interesting, what do you mean by 'installed directly'? not one of their templates? if you used an external iso, care to give pointers how to replicate what you did? ;-)

Shot2 said: They use UBoot, and somehow tweaked kernels even if using the "distro kernel" install option (which btw gives plenty of funny errors in the logs...). Too much a hassle to waste time on that.

which would fit a scenario in which they really have that per connection limit hardcoded somewhere inside their "tweaks" ...

• BHS6 result iperf

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited June 2018

New mail exchange with the so-called "support technician":

• IPv6 is supposedly being developed for the ARM line of servers (= I sell you a car, it's exactly like in the TV ad - save for the motor which we still have to develop)

• They are aware of the issue with bandwidth (= but hey let's sell some of that shite to poor sods, while we work on figuring how to fix things)

• S3phyS3phy Member
    edited June 2018

@Falzo said:

okay that's interesting, what do you mean by 'installed directly'? not one of their templates? if you used an external iso, care to give pointers how to replicate what you did? ;-)

Aah mb, me no speak English today :P

I meant I went for Ubuntu for my first installation.
    Ubuntu 16 -> English -> tick custom.
    For partitions I use / with all available space + 2gb swap.
    On the last page, tick the option about using distros own kernel.

After reinstalling Ubuntu, I'm back to higher speeds. Generally about 300Mbit/s, but with occasional higher result.

The server I have is the 6TB ARM storage one, but I'd assume the HW is same on every ARM storage server other than the HDD. Is there anyone else in GRA2?

(inb4 OVH realizes they forgot to throttle GRA2 and tomorrow I'll be on 5Mbit/s as well)

Thanked by 1sumo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@S3phy said:

(inb4 OVH realizes they forgot to throttle GRA2 and tomorrow I'll be on 5Mbit/s as well)

haha, don't think they can do anything about it good or bad in an easy way though.

thanks for clarifying, leaves me even more confused, as I did not get higher speeds with exactly that customized ubuntu distro. so again, may just be dependent on the switch you are on and therefore luck or no luck and somehow random? dunno...

Thanked by 1S3phy
  • sunnygsunnyg Member

Truth be told, I'm quite sure the actual Tech Support at the Datacenters do not even know this is an issue. The first line support in every region are always extremely hesitant to escalate issues to the actual DC in question. I remember when this happened with OVH SP-64-D, we all got the servers with 250Mbps outgoing hard-capped when the panel explicitly said OVH to OVH internal upload speed is 1Gbps. Yeah, took me three months to get to the GRA DC Support, who once took charge of the ticket, fixed it in 30 minutes, all while the regional support was coming up with funky stuff about Guaranteed Bandwidth not always being Guaranteed?!

For what it is worth I have a BHS4 ARM-6T and it does 1.55Gbit to bhs.proof.ovh.net and 1Gbit upload to my WSI server.

• @S3phy said:

@Falzo said:

Aah mb, me no speak English today :P

I meant I went for Ubuntu for my first installation.
    Ubuntu 16 -> English -> tick custom.
    For partitions I use / with all available space + 2gb swap.
    On the last page, tick the option about using distros own kernel.

After reinstalling Ubuntu, I'm back to higher speeds. Generally about 300Mbit/s, but with occasional higher result.

The server I have is the 6TB ARM storage one, but I'd assume the HW is same on every ARM storage server other than the HDD. Is there anyone else in GRA2?

Tried this with an ARM in BHS6: made no difference...

• S3phyS3phy Member
    edited June 2018

@wlambrechts said:

Then it has the be either the DC and/or the switch I'm on.

I still have no good explanation for the 5Mbit/s limit I got with OVH kernel on debian. I guess that's going to stay as a mystery for now.

• sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited June 2018

To restate my sample:

BHS, Ubuntu 16.04, Custom Installation (Distribution Kernel):

Upload: consistently slow, 80mbps at best;

Download: 300mbps no problem.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Yea, I selected the distro kernel as usual, never pick the OVH stuff.

• wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
    edited June 2018

Traffic between a Kimsufi GRA server and the ARM in GRA is OK, I'm now trying to proxy external traffic to the ARM through the Kimsufi server, without any success...

Tried iptables forwarding, and through a NFS share, but it does not seem to work (with KS in the middle I still get 5 Mbp/s in one direction). Any suggestions ?

Tx

• FalzoFalzo Member

@S3phy said:

@wlambrechts said:

I still have no good explanation for the 5Mbit/s limit I got with OVH kernel on debian. I guess that's going to stay as a mystery for now.

couldn't let go of it...

[  3] local 193.70.x.x port 39992 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   630 MBytes   526 Mbits/sec

seems to be consistent. I installed debian 8 from their template and only after that tried to upgrade to stretch while noticing that the kernel is always that same armada thing like on the ubuntu stuff (even though I selected kernel distro during install), so I installed the 4.9 from stretch and removed the armada stuff (as far as possible)

so, this makes me change my opinion and now believe: it seems highly likely to be an issue with their templates and kernel... might try to replicate the procedure and see if it stays consistent in speed.

@S3phy thanks again for your input which might have helped to narrow it down.

Thanked by 1sumo
  • twaintwain Member
    edited June 2018

@Falzo said:

Shot2 said: They use UBoot, and somehow tweaked kernels even if using the "distro kernel" install option (which btw gives plenty of funny errors in the logs...). Too much a hassle to waste time on that.

which would fit a scenario in which they really have that per connection limit hardcoded somewhere inside their "tweaks" ...

That scenario wouldn’t explain the much more acceptable upload speeds to servers within the OVH network though would it?

Edit: @falzo I missed your last post as I was posting this...

That’s very interesting I’ll have to try the in place upgrade from Debian 8 as well. Really good idea. The whole thing still doesn’t make a lot of sense though...

If you can just install and boot any kernel, try this one for a start https://packages.debian.org/experimental/linux-image-4.17.0-rc7-armmp (beware it might stop booting altogether)

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited June 2018

@twain said:

That’s very interesting I’ll have to try the in place upgrade from Debian 8 as well. Really good idea. The whole thing still doesn’t make a lot of sense though...

essentially the inplace upgrade did not change the kernel at all, so that's why I did that manually, install linux-image-4.9.0-5-armmp and linux-headers-4.9.0-5-armmp from the official repo and purge everything that have armada in the package name ;-)

I'll try to install stretch from the template and replace the kernel again, let you know if that works.

• @Falzo said:

@S3phy said:

@wlambrechts said:

couldn't let go of it...

> [  3] local 193.70.x.x port 39992 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    > [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   630 MBytes   526 Mbits/sec
    > 

seems to be consistent. I installed debian 8 from their template and only after that tried to upgrade to stretch while noticing that the kernel is always that same armada thing like on the ubuntu stuff (even though I selected kernel distro during install), so I installed the 4.9 from stretch and removed the armada stuff (as far as possible)

so, this makes me change my opinion and now believe: it seems highly likely to be an issue with their templates and kernel... might try to replicate the procedure and see if it stays consistent in speed.

@S3phy thanks again for your input which might have helped to narrow it down.

So you managed to somehow solve the issue ? If so, would you care to give some more details on the Armada thing ? Tx

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited June 2018

Looks like I'm not affected?

`iperf -c iperf.online.net -i 1

client connecting to iperf.online.net, TCP port 5001

[ 3] local 54.x.x.x port 17189 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 3] 0.0- 1.0 sec 130 MBytes 1.09 Gbits/sec
    [ 3] 1.0- 2.0 sec 166 MBytes 1.39 Gbits/sec
    [ 3] 2.0- 3.0 sec 185 MBytes 1.55 Gbits/sec
    [ 3] 3.0- 4.0 sec 188 MBytes 1.58 Gbits/sec
    [ 3] 4.0- 5.0 sec 187 MBytes 1.57 Gbits/sec
    [ 3] 5.0- 6.0 sec 189 MBytes 1.59 Gbits/sec
    [ 3] 6.0- 7.0 sec 189 MBytes 1.59 Gbits/sec
    [ 3] 7.0- 8.0 sec 190 MBytes 1.59 Gbits/sec
    [ 3] 8.0- 9.0 sec 188 MBytes 1.58 Gbits/sec
    [ 3] 9.0-10.0 sec 189 MBytes 1.59 Gbits/sec
    [ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 1.76 GBytes 1.51 Gbits/sec`

I don't know why this doesn't format as code.

Debian 9

Linux myserver 4.5.2-armada375 #1 SMP Tue Oct 25 11:52:56 CEST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux